TUTORIAL VIDEO GAME FOR RPG MAKER MZ POLL

What do you want RPG MAKER MZ to be? You can choose more than one (recommended).

• I want to suggest something more (will post on this thread my suggestion)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I want a tutorian on ____________________ to be included (will post on what in the thread below)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

_Shadow_

Tech Magician Level:
Reaction score
First Language
Greek
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
So, by learning a lot from this community, I think it is time to make a new and better tutorial on how to use RPG Maker.
MZ will have new and neat stuff, it will have some differences and it will be a cool thing to use. So since I am gonna make the third part of the series EVENTS (yeee trilogy!) I wonder what people think a tutorial game should be.
I have made my own conclusions, but this is the most dangerous thing to do, without taking some more feedback on the topic.
So here I am, on off topic, asking the community.

End of the September the poll ends.
Can't wait to hear from you people.

Soulrender

Jack Of All Trades
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Poland
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I'll be honest with you @_Shadow_

My first contact with RPG Maker was with RPG Maker 2000 and with new releases i noticed the GUI didn't change that much. So in my opinion theres no need for tutorial. If you used one RPG Maker, you can work in any RPG Maker. The only issue is to get used to the different UI's.

The only one kind of tutorial I would need is for advanced things, perhaps on map battles, I can't come up with something serious right now.

_Shadow_

Tech Magician Level:
Reaction score
First Language
Greek
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
@Soulrender I wanna thank you for being honest. Honesty is priceless and I take all opinions seriously. I learn from being here and listening to people.
Meanwhile I would like to point out that there were people that started on VX Ace, there were people that got MV as their fist maker and eventually and hopefully we will have people that will be using MZ as a first, so I don't wanna ignore them.

Now here are my thoughts:
Events and Events MV are linear, slow but full tutorials. They can play these, and then come to play this one for a "what's new" experience.
On the other hand, wouldn't it be nice to have a non linear tutorial experience, just for people like you?
User experience: Oh look, I can bypass all those things I already know. Let's go to the advanced section...

Map battles meaning? Do you mean by any chance, battles on map using plugins?

Soulrender

Jack Of All Trades
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Poland
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@_Shadow_ I agree with you, but I'm too old for learning new things, secondly, yes, I mean battles occuring on map. I find very annoying situations, where entire party (4 characters) are at some high level and whole scene changes to default battle scene when accidently party encounter extremly easy (1 turn eg) enemy to defeat and you need to hear victory theme and see battle results. I know it's just few seconds, but anyway... It's still a lost of time.

_Shadow_

Tech Magician Level:
Reaction score
First Language
Greek
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Things like that probably need their own thread here on the forum.
Events is a beginner friendly series of games that give a boost on their first steps.
Your case though is EXACTLY what I mean by:
" I want Events MZ to include a guide on how to search things in the community forum for beginners. "
I want people to get fluent on using the forum as a resource pool.
The games do not substitute the community, that would be stupid to begin with.

but I'm too old for learning new things
I will pretend I never read that. :)
You are never too old to learn new things.

It seems that all Polish people I meet on line are honest. Surprising good feat. Love to you and all Poland.
Now I miss bigos and zapiekanka, pork with hot wine on the streets of Warsaw and Krakow...
been to your country, loved it.

Soulrender

Jack Of All Trades
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Poland
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Bigos is the best and even better if it is eaten very next day :) Yes, we are honest people, especialy me :D
Just a little offtopic, few weeks ago I gave my boss report about current status of supliment in warehouse and I said:
For now it's all done. I'm going on coffee and cigarete.
I didn't ask, I stated what I will do.
Boss: Why?
Me: Because I said that!

Anyway, I can't really come up with something else now - Im still sleepy :] However a very detailed documentation about JS objects would be nice and if it was in this tabelar format:
Code:
$gameActors.actor(a).gainExp(b); | With this method you can give B exp for actor A
This would really help me to edit / write plugins, especialy plugins to altering windows layout, because default layout MV and others provide are... unusefull slighlty say.

_Shadow_

Tech Magician Level:
Reaction score
First Language
Greek
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Wait I think @Arceia got something like that on an excel, are you aware of that?

Soulrender

Jack Of All Trades
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Poland
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Yes, but those are Just script calls for events inside MV. What I want is list of methods inside rpg core files with description what they do and example usage.

modulusia

So much to learn
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesian
Primarily Uses
RMXP
Woo-hoo! When I first heard MZ was coming, I had hoped you would make another Events for it. I'm so happy it's really happening!

I have just a small thought. For those A and B choices, could they be merged? In a way that, the lessons are still linear, but the game gives the player a choice if they want everything to be unlocked right from the start. I feel that a linear lesson will be good for newcomers, but there might be people who would rather be able to "jump" the lessons.

_Shadow_

Tech Magician Level:
Reaction score
First Language
Greek
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Yes, but those are Just script calls for events inside MV. What I want is list of methods inside rpg core files with description what they do and example usage.
I will think about it, but not before suggesting it first to @Archeia. If that is possible to become a thread, thing like a link to an excel spreadsheet and the thread to give direct support from the WHOLE community, then it would be not much worthy to be included.

We all have to understand that Events series is not a vacuum cleaner that gets all topics get answered in one game. That topic alone can be a tutorial game itself. Atcually you give me good ideas. But let's see what will happen first. It is too early.

For those A and B choices, could they be merged? In a way that, the lessons are still linear, but the game gives the player a choice if they want everything to be unlocked right from the start. I feel that a linear lesson will be good for newcomers, but there might be people who would rather be able to "jump" the lessons.
My thoughts EXACTLY. The real debate is: Is it a good idea to give users the option to bypass a tutorial they don't need? And I think, with good design, it can be possible.

Milennin

"With a bang and a boom!"
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I think you'll gain the most from doing a tutorial with stuff that's new in MZ, since RPG Maker doesn't change a whole lot with new versions. Then, you could always revamp the full newbie tutorial later on.

modulusia

So much to learn
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesian
Primarily Uses
RMXP
Is it a good idea to give users the option to bypass a tutorial they don't need?
I think it depends on what you want to include in the game, and how the tutorials are presented. If it will be an introduction to the basics, and the user needs to know A before doing/learning B, it won't be such a good idea to bypass tutorials. But if the tutorials are independent from each other, it's alright to let them choose.

_Shadow_

Tech Magician Level:
Reaction score
First Language
Greek
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I think I will not rush it this time. I wanna make a good one.

Kupotepo

Fantasy realist/Advocatus Diaboli
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Thai
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I choose this option.
I want people of the community to be characters in the game. Tell me who and why below.
You, @_Shadow_, are making this happen. You deserved recognization, and the power to crush your opponents.

Wow, @Soulrender, I do not know that you are a senior user of RPG Maker products.

Rayhaku808

Chubbizard
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I've tried 2000 and XP in 2005. I could not get a grasp on how any of these worked and did not understand any tutorials. I was 14 years old, I just liked playing RPG's and wasn't aware that I even needed basic concepts of creating a game. I was a spoiled pre-teen and merely thought that the desire to make one was enough. With that said, I gave up almost immediately. The tutorials were daunting. It was only then I started to realize the scope of how much work and dedication was needed just to get started. I thought that because games were fun, making games would give me the exact same feeling.

Fast forward some years and I see VX. I pick that up and see there's a school? If I'm unable to understand this type of hands-on experience then I'll just give up on the series altogether. But I was amazed at how well the systems were explained, the examples used, how everything was broken up. Everything I learned from that has carried over to today. Since I barely got through elementary, middle, and failed 2 years of high school. I had the lowest self-esteem I felt possible for a person. I don't think I can express how much joy and appreciation I have for you guys putting that together. It felt so good to be able to learn and comprehend things and not struggle as much as I did throughout my academic life prior.

I know it's just some story but that's how much this engine and your tutorials mean to me. I voted for the second option of what's new since it's the most relevant for me. And I hope the next generation of makers will get a tutorial like that school some day.

_Shadow_

Tech Magician Level:
Reaction score
First Language
Greek
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
@Rayhaku808 You can always finish High School whenever you want I guess.
As for feeling stress for failing it, I am not sure what to say. As a teacher I feel sad, because at some countries, the education system they follow, is designed to fail. It is not the students that fail. It is the whole system that can not support you.
You can't evaluate a monkey, an goldfish, a goat, a snail and an elephant on how efficient they are on climbing a tree, that's what I wanna tell you. Nobody can tell you who you are. Trust yourself, you got talents that have to be unraveled so you will shine.
It just takes two things to make it.
1 is will. Do you want to succeed? Do you wanna do the sacrifices it takes to succeed?
2 is trust to yourself.
Whatever you wanna do, you can do it @Rayhaku808 .

Marquise*

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French-Canadian
Wooooo... A trilogy. And I guess you'll improve with every versions as well as learn as you teach.

Also, read some differences about the programming and animation layering. Might be good see what is available.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Is there anyone who would like to resize some of sprites I've got and put them into MV sheet? I'm bad at that kind of things. I want to make a game, but I lack in resources and I'm bad at recolouring them, so my only option was to use a sprite maker from one game (Ive got permission to use it) but these are sprites from VX Ace and I only have MV. So, is there anyone interested in helping me?
Wow! This game looks great! Streaming now :D
Working on a system that allows you to define events in an easy to use text file format!!! Would you use such a thing? 0o
Have my fingers crossed, waiting for a discount sale on MZ on Steam.. Its normally around the corner during Halloween or x-mas season on Steam, if i remember right..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
phaze213