I want a brownie.
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
This is just an idea that came to me.
Depending on the Rpg Maker, users can just install plugins.

But what if there are users who prefer to not use any plugins? (Or just only a few at a time)

This is challenging because most tutorials require plugins as part of the tutorial process.

There are barely any event only tutorials anymore.

Maybe a forum section or something that only allows event only or tutorials made with the the Rpg Maker alone?

Thoughts?

ATT_Turan

Forewarner of the Black Wind
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
All of the tutorials posted on this Web site (click the word Blog at the top) are done only using events (there are a few that are specifically about how to use a given plugin, but there's no reason you'd click on those unless you wanted to learn how to use that plugin).

If you Google or search YouTube, there are a ton of tutorials on how to make events. So I'm not sure what your point of reference is for "most tutorials require plugins."

The problem with your request is that there are some things people might want to do that can't be replicated via events. And there are some (many?) other things that could be, but it's so much more complicated to do so that there's no reason not to use an existing plugin.

I have all respect for people who go for the intellectual challenge of doing complex things via events, but those people are into solving the challenge for themselves and are typically not looking for tutorials. For the average user, there just isn't a good reason to "prefer not to use plugins."

The whole point of RPG Maker is to be able to make a game easily without needing in-depth technical knowledge. So for the average user, if their question can be solved by installing a plugin and setting a few options, it makes much more sense to do that than to take a more complicated approach via events - the more you do that, the more you might as well learn to code and just create a game the way you want.

Is there a specific topic you wanted to get help with?

SGHarlekin

Orc Jester
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
All of the tutorials posted on this Web site (click the word Blog at the top) are done only using events (there are a few that are specifically about how to use a given plugin, but there's no reason you'd click on those unless you wanted to learn how to use that plugin).

If you Google or search YouTube, there are a ton of tutorials on how to make events. So I'm not sure what your point of reference is for "most tutorials require plugins."

The problem with your request is that there are some things people might want to do that can't be replicated via events. And there are some (many?) other things that could be, but it's so much more complicated to do so that there's no reason not to use an existing plugin.

I have all respect for people who go for the intellectual challenge of doing complex things via events, but those people are into solving the challenge for themselves and are typically not looking for tutorials. For the average user, there just isn't a good reason to "prefer not to use plugins."

The whole point of RPG Maker is to be able to make a game easily without needing in-depth technical knowledge. So for the average user, if their question can be solved by installing a plugin and setting a few options, it makes much more sense to do that than to take a more complicated approach via events - the more you do that, the more you might as well learn to code and just create a game the way you want.

Is there a specific topic you wanted to get help with?
Spoken out of my soul here.
I have also not seen this case of "many tutorials requiring plugins" unless I specifically searched for one. Otherwise when I search for something I want to do, it's usually a mix of how to event and how to plugin, if there happened to be one for that thing.

There is one reason I can think of, when an "average user" might want to avoid plugins. At least this was my case at first. Starting out with the engine, plugins seemed overwhelming and complicated at first, so I did avoid them for a time.

I can however attest to what @ATT_Turan said, generally it's just better/easier to do what you want with a plugin. Many times it's also more efficient and especially for MV the list of plugins and their applications is almost limitless.

Last edited:

slimmmeiske2

Little Red Riding Hood
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMXP
As Turan mentioned, all tutorials on the official blog by @hiddenone are events only. I also clicked on some random tutorials in the MZ section and all of the ones I looked at were events only.

As a mod, I constantly have to move threads that are posted in the tutorial section to the support section, because we have so many sections already and people get confused. If you add an Event Tutorials only, you wouldn't be adding one section, you'd be adding one for every maker, so that's five new subforums.

ShadowDragon

Realist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
some things require a plugin and you cannot go walk around.
one reason is an evented map menu, you need a stop movement plugin
or a way to pause the screen where the buttons can still be used on
the pictures, if not, it would be extremely hard to find a way to do so.

alot of things can be done by events alone, but not everything pure
events can be possible with the help of a plugin.

tutorials are both pure evented and with some plugins help,
it really depends on the mechanic itself and what you want to accomplish.

ATT_Turan

Forewarner of the Black Wind
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
There is one reason I can think of, when an "average user" might want to avoid plugins. At least this was my case at first. Starting out with the engine, plugins seemed overwhelming and complicated at first, so I did avoid them for a time.
I understand exactly what you're saying. However, I would posit that's exactly when said user would benefit from tutorials on how to use them, rather than on working around them :wink:

SGHarlekin

Orc Jester
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I understand exactly what you're saying. However, I would posit that's exactly when said user would benefit from tutorials on how to use them, rather than on working around them :wink:
Definitely. But user's don't always do what they should right? xD

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

ScreenShot_10_3_2022_4_27_17.png
welp, thanks to Luna MV, I was able to add the Balloon as a window... thus allowing me to edit the font color and outline... so now it looks like comic bubbles above characters. I have NO idea why I couldn't get this to work through more conventional means, but here we are.
CUTE CUTE CUTE.gif
I cannot cease doing cute art
War and Wonder is a 100% choice-based open-world visual novel.
1664821313732.png
1664821466359.png
1664821547746.png
Going live soon on Twitch, and will continue Fortunastreet's game "Verloren". For those who are curious, you are welcome to join ;)

-> Franz' Twitch channel
still cursed with having an issue then solving it myself as soon as someone else explains it to me/is trying to help.

sure hope nobody thinks im weird not responding to them after they're only trying to help.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lyde_the_Warrior