Twice Upon a Hero

Discussion in 'Games In Development' started by Lunarea, Mar 16, 2012.

1. Lunarea

Lunarea Artist Global Mod

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Once upon a time, the world fell prey to a cruel demon. Azazel The Fallen ravaged the lands, leaving misery and death in its wake. A group of young people banded together and traveled the world in search of a way to defeat him. They forged friendships, found true love and struggled with the possibility of betrayal in their midst. In six short months, they developed extraordinary strength and skills they did not know they possessed. When they finally met Azazel on the battlefield, they fought with glory and pride. As the hero delivered the mortal blow, the world went quiet, barely daring to breathe. Without their leader, the demon armies retreated back into the night. At last, the world rejoiced.

It has been fifteen years since Azazel fell. The world has changed and its people moved on. Alistair is now trying to live a normal life, tucked away in a small, sleepy village. But a casual visit from an old acquaintance threatens to propel him back into a world of adventure - whether he likes it or not!

Embark on a journey to explore the world and the unique perspective of what happens to said world once the fairytale of might and magic is over.

About the world of Caeta:
    The world of Caeta (pronounced SEH- tta) is comprised of five major continents: Andras, Ahden, Geldion, Vega and the Maia islands. With the exception of Maia, which is a democratic independent republic, the continents are ruled by a monarchy (diarchy in the case of Andras). Since the appearance and consequent death of Azazel, the world has been living in a time of world peace, and free from political intrigue.

While both modern and futuristic technology can be found in various areas of the world, the majority of the population prefers to live a simpler existence that is in harmony with nature. In the past five years, it's become trendy for licensed mages (or those with magical predilections) to rely heavily on technology. This is largely due to theories that the mana pool of a person is limited and should only be used in the "worst case" scenario. This is a stark difference with the mages from pre-Azazel era, who used magic at all times - even while asleep.

Religion plays a major level in the personal life of some people, but Caeta is primarily henotheistic in nature. Most towns and villages will have one patron deity, but their worship won't be enforced. Patron deities are chosen by the perceived natural blessings of the area where the towns are located. For example, the patron deity of Par Tillian is Damia, goddess of plenty. Even though Par Tillian is located in the hot desert, its citizens are blessed to have a constant source of pure drinking water via the mountains located just north of the town.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG] Alistair Leblanc ~ Age: 32 ~ Occupation: Bartender of a tavern in a small town
    It was Alistair's sword that dealt the mortal blow to Azazel. He never truly enjoyed the praise and attention given to the great heroes, thus he spent a few years wandering Caeta before finally settling in a small village on the fringes of civilization.
    His idealist and impulsive nature led him into many adventures and sticky situations in the past, but the years have turned him into a more prudent and thoughtful man. Though he never received a formal education, he is intelligent and well-read.
    He takes life in moderation, so he is a man without vices.
    [​IMG] Cordelia Carter ~ Age: 16 ~ Occupation: Student at the Patriot Academy
    Cordelia grew up hearing the stories about Azazel's fall and the bravery of Alistair and his companions. Like many of the younger Caeta inhabitants, she hasn't been exposed to harshness or violence in life.
    Idealistic and naive, she has a knack of getting herself in trouble. She quickly developed an infatuation with Alistair, after he saved her from a monster. In her eyes, Alistair is a knight in shining armor. Much to her disappointment, Cordelia's sweetness and generosity remind Alistair of Lillian, which has led him to be short-tempered and grouchy around her.
    [​IMG] Penelope Jackson ~ Age: 19 ~ Occupation: Priestess in training of the Church of Aceso
    As one of the countless orphaned children, Penelope grew up sheltered by the church. Unlike other children, she developed a fascination with the priest life and requested to join the clergy. She took up her studies with zeal and unorthodox organized discipline. She has a natural predilection for healing magic, though she is most interested in plant-based salves and naturalistic healing.
    Penelope values her logic and intellect, often dismissing or ignoring her emotions. She can be counted on as a voice of reason, and follows a strict moral code.
    She is originally forced to join Alistair by her matron, Diana. She quickly grows to like and respect him as a leader.
    [​IMG] Claudia Nero ~ Age: 26 ~ Occupation: Senior at Sparrowight Academy of Magic
    Azazel era was particularly difficult for mages, as they were often easily sensed by the demon armies. As a result, anyone with the potential to tame and use magic was quickly recruited by the academy. During those times of uncertainty and fear, the academy frequently traveled from place to place. This life gave Claudia both the formal education of the academic setting and the multicultural know-how of everyday life. It also gave her a thirst for adventure, leading to her penchant for chaos and disregard of rules and laws.
    Beneath her wild and rebellious exterior, Claudia is a thoughtful and intelligent woman. Her magical potential is very high, but she lacks the discipline needed to excel in her studies. She initially joins Alistair as a way to get good grades effortlessly, but she sticks around for her love of adventure.

[​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    - Party Relationship System, affecting the availability of certain cutscenes, items and endings.
    - Personality System, affecting available side quests and opening special item/skill vendors.
    - Character Field Skills, allowing access to new areas or new approaches to completing quest objectives.

[​IMG]
    Chapters 1 and 2 * **

* Note that there is a Font folder with 3 files included. Please make sure you install them prior to playing.
    ** You will need to download and install VX RTP.

Developer Blog

[​IMG]
    ~ 03/15/12 Released Revamped chapters 1&2
    ~ 10/26/12 Project is being ported over to Ace (yay!)~ 02/10/13 Updated download link

Support bar:
    [​IMG]

Code:
    [url="http://forums.rpgmakerweb.com/index.php?/topic/332-twice-upon-a-hero/"][/url]

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 11, 2013
    Name, Stanley, Allusion and 34 others like this.
  2. Indrah

Indrah Megane Berserker Veteran

First Language:
    Spanish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Looking good! I saw this some time ago over at vxnet but never got around to downloading the demo/chapters. Time to remedy that >[ *puts on RM playing hat*

Also: Pff, woman your mapping makes me green with envy. IMMA STEAL YOUR TALENT WHILE YOU SLEEEEP~~ (I wish XD)

3. Lunarea

I hope you enjoy the rest of it too! Though I definitely made sure there's lotsa eye candy for you guys. :3

Oh, and super special thanks to Ronnie and Volrath for testing the heck out of the last build. :)

4. Volrath

Volrath Knight in Sour Armor Degica

First Language:
    English
    Awwwww yeeeeeeah.

Played this game a couple times now and it's always been fun. Nobody can work that RTP magic like Luna. Give this a try if you haven't played!

5. Knightmare

Knightmare Knight of the Night Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Looks good Luna, I really like your mapping and the world map looks neat too. If I can peel myself away from making my game I'll give it a go and let you know what I think.

6. AstoXx

AstoXx Subconscious Punmaster Member

First Language:
    Logic
    Her mapping skills come from hunting down all the other good mappers and slaying them to absorb their powers. It's why I don't commit myself to learn how to be an amazing mapper, I fear Luna will come after me, too.

But the games looks to be chock-full of orgasmic eye-candy and I'm sure the music will be just as loving to our ears. But I'm more interested in the features like party relationships and personalities being important. I love games where the focus isn't on saving the world, but the group doing the saving and how they all interact with each other. Characters, in my opinion, are always more deep than the world they live in, so it makes them more interesting to observe.

7. bluntsword

bluntsword Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Looks nice! I like the Relationship system. I'll give a try tonight and give you my thoughts.

8. Ronove

Ronove ♫꒰・‿・๑꒱ Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    This game is great! You all should totally give it a try. Like Volrath, I have played this a few times as well and I haven't tired of it. I still eagerly look forward to Chapter 3! :)

9. Lunarea

@Volrath:

It's funny, but I always think Euph and Ronnie are miles ahead of me in terms of what you can do with RTP. XD

I'm really glad you enjoyed it. I may poke you again for beta testing chapter 3. *huggles* :3

@Knightmare:

I'm looking forward to your comments!

@AstoXx:

Shh! No one's supposed to know about the disappearances. :lol:

I don't think you'll be too disappointed with the characters. They were incredibly fun to write and they pretty much took over my brain whenever I'm writing their dialogue.

@bluntsword:

Great! I'd love to hear your thoughts.

@Ronnie:

*huggles!* You are so on my list as a tester! Just give me a few weeks to tweak some stuff and you will have the first peek at the new chapter. :3

10. Indrah

First Language:
    Spanish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I was happily playing and all was going well, until~

I got a error crash after the first figh with the plant and rescuing the girl. As I changed the map to free roam and went to the menu, this popped up:

Script ‘quest Journal 2.1a’ line 2262: NoMethodError occurred

Undefined method each for nil:NilClass

It busted my ass out of the game ;I

11. Lunarea

That's not good!

I'm so not a scripter, so I have no clue what happened there ... :wacko: I'll take a look and see if I can figure it out ...

12. Indrah

First Language:
    Spanish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Did some more testing.

The first time it bugged out, I had done the battle tutorial. Next time, I skipped it, and it caused no errors. I tried to do the tut again, and it crashed again.

So, maybe the tutorial is fidllign with something? (Not a scripter, I can't really say much else OTL)

13. Ronove

Ronove ♫꒰・‿・๑꒱ Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    :D :D :D ! That has me very happy! :) Can't wait to try it out!

14. Lunarea

@Indrah:

Very odd! The battle tutorial does make use of a script, but all the movement and commands it uses is via events. Same for menu and quest tutorials.

I will definitely ask around, but I can't seem to replicate it on my machines. It would suck if it was something that only affected a select few people and there was no way to fix it. <_<

15. bluntsword

bluntsword Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Just played to the spot of rescuing the girl and had no issue even though I did the tutorial.

I must say I really enjoy your game thus far. The help from the fairy isn't overwhelming, the world map system is inviting, and I'm in love with your mapping.

So far, I say this game is a win! I'll play more later. Cheers!

16. Rion Requiel

Rion Requiel Twin Raven Studios Veteran

Usually the internet.. in front of my computer :)
    First Language:
    English
    The gaming world needs more things like this, I like it, Did you make your own scripts for the features?

17. Lunarea

@bluntsword:

Phew! I'm glad everything is working for you. :3

@Rion:

I'm definitely not a scripter! About the most I can manage is figuring out script configurations. :lol:

The features like relationships, fields skills, etc are all evented. Events can do some pretty neat things!

18. Rion Requiel

Rion Requiel Twin Raven Studios Veteran

Usually the internet.. in front of my computer :)
    First Language:
    English
    Wow maybe I should look into Eventing then Scripts are annoying me and I am trying my best to create a personal Battle HUD >.<

19. Lunarea

A lot of things can be accomplished in RPG Maker with just events, so it's a great place to start. :)

20. yieldingmydestiny

yieldingmydestiny n00b Veteran

First Language:
    Melayu
    I played this months ago, it was great! I like it especially that it's not about the typical teenager-saving-the-world theme.

I love the maps the most! They are all delicately designed. :)

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 16, 2012