Twin Hearts Saga, Volume 1

Discussion in 'Completed Games' started by Sacrifyx, Oct 3, 2014.

Tags:
  1. Sacrifyx

Sacrifyx Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    english

[​IMG]]

Now for RMMV!!

Download here:

MV Version:

http://www.nexusmods.com/rpgmakermv/mods/1/?
    This is the final version barring any bugs. I've gone over it with a fine tooth comb and corrected a number of issues so it should be smooth sailing.

VXA Version (In a completed state but no longer updated):

http://www.nexusmods.com/rpgmakervxace/mods/6/?

The Game:

Join Xarien DeMont as he travels through the world of Callusia on a quest to uncover the long lost history of its once-dead heroes, monstrous villains, fabled usurpers, reluctant deities and troubled people. The six islands of Arreh, Westrel, Kjell, Oko, Latruvium and Zaahir await, each with a different horror afflicting their citizens. The fight is already on, but the real battle won't begin until the truth of the Twin Hearts is discovered...

The Players:

Xarien DeMont, a 4th class mage of the Arcane Institute currently wrapping up summer vacation and preparing to head back to school for initiation into the 3rd class when he receives a special assignment from the head of the Institute, the Magus Primus.

Sasaki Kei, an Okona soldier who left behind his life on Oko to seek refuge on Arreh, will join Xarien and together they'll travel across the island in search of answers that lie hidden deep in their world's past.

Supporting Cast:

Verutan Descroix, a warrior priest from a time long past, will be seen here. His role is is great in the past and the present, but ancient magic prevents him from leaving his post.

Father Adan Kirio, a priest of the Church of Dreams. Kindly and wise, he will be an ally of Xarien's...if he stays on a righteous path.

Ranhath Killian, Magus Primus of the Arcane Institute. It is from him that Xarien receives his assignment, and to him that Xarien must report. As the Institute's Primus, he is the most powerful mage in the world but if the darkness prevails his powers will be as nothing.

Khalaal al-Abala, a Zaahiri nomad, bore witness to the rise of the darkness in the Dread Wastes. He'll tell his story to anyone willing to listen.

Aisri Jurulfsdottir, a Kjellite huntress. She is one of the few who have seen the troubles that plague her homeland and retained sanity.

Culea Ambrose of Westrel is looking for work. Unfortunately, Xarien isn't offering anything she's interested in.

Geminius Vitello, former Imperator of Darius' legions in Latruvium, is raising a legion of his own. The land of his birth is calling, but Geminius will only answer with violence.

And many more...

The World:

Callusia is a world comprised of six islands, each with its own distinct culture.

Arreh, the starting island, is where people from all over the world call home, even more so as a hub for refugees fleeing the troubles in their own nations. Actions here will set the stage for the rest of the game.

Westrel, the 2nd island, is where the wealthy wield their influence when they're not enjoying fun in the sun in Port Crescent or the Edgewater resort town. As the seat of power for the world's religious as well as the home of magical instruction, the capacity for corruption is almost endless. Lately though, something strange has been going on in the mountain community of Pineridge...

Kjell, the 3rd island, is where some of the greatest warriors of Callusia's history have hailed from. A hardy people forged in the frozen tundra that makes up their home, they have long prided themselves on their ability to fight. Unknown to all but a few, this icy nation hides a secret that stretches long past

Callusia's earliest recorded history.

Oko, the 4th island, feudal home of the samurai and ruled with an iron fist by Shogun Kawashi Ito. Much of Callusia's earliest history is preserved here, but

Kawashi guards it jealously. When the darkness visited the Okona, restless spirits began to assail the living, and the key to bringing peace to this land will lie in putting them, along with the dark power that raised them, to rest for good.

Latruvium, the 5th island, home to the mightiest military force in the world, ruled by Dominus Darius Lucius. Oko's closest neighbor and oldest partner, the recent troubles throughout the world and in their own lands have brought these former allies to the brink of war.

Zaahir is the final island, a desert waste populated by tribes of nomads and ruled from the great walled city of Abala by Emir Modatta al-Sayeed. It is the catalyst for the troubles and the dangers there will be the greatest Xarien will face, from the walking dead to the root of the darkness itself.

Each of these islands has a unique problem to solve, but the key to solving the troubles of today lies in uncovering a shrouded past.

FEATURES
    The WHOLE island of Arreh:
    12 exterior maps including 1 major town, 1 minor town, 1 small village and 1 large marketplace
    43 interior maps including 3 caves, 1 old keep, many homes, shops and other buildings
    Wandering enemies, no random encounters
    7 side quests of varying lengths

A visit to the island of Oko:
    14 maps to see while exploring Sasaki's backstory, with much more to come during the pair's inevitable visit to the island.

A basic karma system that will determine which of the final 2 side quests you'll be allowed to tackle. Will also determine the ultimate ending of the story (but that's several volumes away still)
    A quest journal with step by step instructions for each quest in the game
    A crafting system that enables you to make your own spells and potions
    Stat point distribution on level up
    Around 2-3 hours of play from start to finish including side quests and miscellaneous tidbits with the denizens of Arreh, especially if you do everything and talk to everyone, highly recommended especially if you wish to see Sasaki's story.

CREDITS

Lunarea's Furniture
    Celianna's Inner Tiles
    Mack's original tileset
    Inquisitor's RMXP exterior tiles
    Recife's bloody tiles with Rainbow Jello's recolors/additions

EB's Materials for VX: Samurai
    EB's RPG XP Remastered OST

Momope's Bloody downed charsets

Soruve's facesets

Eathrock's faceset/charset recolors

Rajawali's anaconda charset

Plugins in MV:

Zalerinian/Ramiro/Hudell/Dekita's MVCommons

Terrax's Lighting System

Vlue's recipe crafting

Kino's Book plugin
    Alistair's Stat Point Distribution

Victor Sant's Basic Module and Fog Overlay

Hime's Enemy Reinforcements

Gamestailer94's Quest System

Yanfly's Region Battlebacks, Main Menu Manager, Message Core, Battle Engine Core and Action Sequence packs

Galv's Event Detectors

Scripts in VXA:
    Rafael Sol Maker's Ace Perfect Fog
    Khas' Awesome Light Effects
    Modern Algebra's Quest Journal, ATS: Special Message Codes
    Enu's Sideview Battle System
    Yanfly's Passive States, Item Menu, Region Battlebacks
    Dekita's Perfect Stat Point Distribution System
    Estriole's Advance Text Reader EX
    Mr. Bubble's Tactics Ogre PSP Crafting System, Reader Functions for Features/Effects
    Hime's Enemy Reinforcements
    game_guy's More Self-Switches
    V's Awesome Options

screen1.png

screen2.png

screen3.png

screen4.png

screen5.png

Last edited: Apr 5, 2017
  2. Sacrifyx

Sacrifyx Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    english
    Volume 1 is complete and ready for release. Current download and all details are in the OP. Any further updates willbe minimal.

3. Sacrifyx

Sacrifyx Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    english
    Someone on another board found a potentially game breaking issue. I've repaired it and rather than having everyone (everyone who plays this, anyway) re-download the whole game, I've put up a zip with the new map files. Just replace the old ones and you'll be all set. FYI, you may not even come across the issue that was found, but it will break your game if you do.

Download the new map files here: http://www.mediafire.com/download/n696f9xdqlt2b9e/mapxxx.rvdata2.zip

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 24, 2014
  4. Chester

Chester Meow Kitten Veteran

First Language:
    Cat Tongue
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Hello Sacrifyx I have a review for your game meow :3

First of all, good job on your title screen! It looks really good plus the background music is so good I just know this has to be a good game. This is a good first impression.

The introduction is not too bad. So I wake up after the thunderstorm and I’m asked to find some things in my room which was pretty easy. Usually the first thing I get to in a RPG Maker game once I have control of my character is the Menu Interface. It uses the standard RPG Maker menu theme except you changed the font and colors. The first thing I notice was the Journal. This is a good idea. I really like how you implement the Journal in this game. This makes it so that players will know what to do and avoid losing the sense of direction. So I figured I’ll be getting a few quests and I was right.

I discovered that I was a mage in training and I am Lv15 from the start. Alright I can see how this is already going to turn out. Usually whenever the main the character starts off being super strong, there’s going to be an event that makes me lose all my levels which is fine. It seems the main character is really easy going and doesn’t seem to care about much in the beginning. The mapping so far is quite nice so no complaints just yet. I am now outside and so I see some bees, rats, and birds. Alright let’s see how the combat system is.

Before I actually jump into the battle system I was baffled at the enemies because I had to press ENTER to engage them. The battle system is not bad. It is not the typical RPG Maker battle system which I am quite glad that it isn’t. The battle system runs quite smoothly and I actually like it. A blast from the past I say. When I leveled up, it was awesome! I had the choice to upgrade which stat I wanted! This is great! Although I do not know if the quick move status icon was supposed to be a pot but it is and you might want to check on that.

I got to the first town and so it seems like no one is up yet so I cannot visit any of the stores except the magic store. I also burned a guy to crisp so tough luck. There are some quests and so I am running around quest fetching. I eventually got to the next town and this is where I came across my first bug. There is a guy standing in front of the right ship and if you talk to him, he disappears. By now I am beginning to see some areas that look really dull and I suggest you should just take them out. All the questing stuff is good but by the time I got to the first dungeon, I was tired of the back tracking. I had to go look for a mercenary and a lot of other stuff for the quests.

The music here is not bad, it is quite nice especially the title screen. The story is ok-ish because I wasn’t too interested in the story as much as I thought I was going to. There are some areas that are unnecessary and they just make your maps appear big. The combat is good so well-done.

I give this game a verdict of 4/5.

5. Sacrifyx

Sacrifyx Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    english
    It was originally random battles but people didn't care for that. This way you can decide if and when you want to fight. There are some enemies that will run into you and force a fight, but very few in this volume of the game, and I think they only exist in one or two areas.

Everything is closed prior to you hiring your sidekick. I did this mainly to keep confusion down and keep the character and story moving as rapidly as possible through this early segment of the game. As for the bug you found, I went on a quick playthrough right after reading your review and I was unable to duplicate it. I'll check on that icon and see about uploading a fixed version soon.

Every map plays a part, not necessarily in this volume but in my plans for the future volumes when other characters will take the lead role as other points in history are visited, but I'm open to sizing one or two of them down a little.

When you say the story is ok-ish, is there too much, not enough, paced too fast or slow? As you're one of the very few who seems to have invested some time in this and taken the time to write all of this out, I'm very interested in your opinions on these things.

Thank you kindly!

6. Sacrifyx

Sacrifyx Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    english
    Been well over a year since the last big update. Between a full time job, a wife and two kids, time is scarce but work has continued slowly but surely. Check the first post for download links to the all new MV version - updated, expanded, embiggened, beautified, and other words too.

As always, I'm open to any and all criticism, feedback, reviews, etc.

7. Arcmagik

Arcmagik Game Developer Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    ErrorTwinHearts.PNG

Started the MV version. It seems pretty stock in the beginning, but I didn't get far because literally the very next screen was the picture in the spoilers. The moment I saw that I stopped playing the MV version. Going to check on the VX version and hoping that its more polished.

8. Sacrifyx

Sacrifyx Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    english
    I highly recommend sticking with the MV version. I've uploaded a corrected file. For whatever it's worth, I went to great pains to make sure that very thing didn't happen, this one just slipped through the cracks - if you continue your playthrough you shouldn't encounter any more of that so updating the version you have is probably not necessary unless you REALLY want to talk to that guy. The VXA version shouldn't have any of those errors at all simply due to the sheer amount of time I've spent with it, but I've also made a lot of changes to dialogue and added a bunch of NPC's (the guy in your spoiler included) to the MV version to give the place a fuller feel. Still have a little more to do in that regard but it's much closer to my vision than the VXA version.

9. Arcmagik

Arcmagik Game Developer Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Sacrifyx Okay. I only got the VXA loaded up... but I can say that the title screen for the VXA is better. Like the first thing I saw with the MV version was the default New Game, Continue, Options... the VXA was better.

Part of the reason I was going to look at the VXA version was that it might have been more polished then the MV version. Just from the title screen alone I felt that I was right, but I will download the new version and continue to play around with it then put up a review.

10. Sacrifyx

Sacrifyx Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    english
    Yeah, there are definitely some things I'm happier about with the VXA version that I either can't do in MV or haven't looked hard enough. The title screen is one thing, the other is the lighting. Khas' lighting script for VXA is awesome, and while the Terrax Lighting plugin for MV gets the job done, it just doesn't hold a candle to Khas' work and the flexibility it provides. My hope is that as time goes on, the quality of the currently available plugins will improve and the quantity of available plugins will increase. I try not to complain much. I'm not a coder so I rely on the kindness of those that are to allow me to do things I can't do myself, and what they've given us so far is, if not the greatest, certainly far better than nothing. Thanks for checking it out, by the way. I'll look forward to your review.

Here's a little hint, because I don't want you to miss out on some good stuff - when you get to the lake a little later on in the game, make sure you talk to EVERYONE in the village. One of them will open up an important (but kind of long) cutscene. Hell, if you make it that far I'll bow down and kiss your feet - everyone else gave up before that.

Edit: I went through and revisited some of the NPC's and found a few more of those errors. They've been corrected as well. Just an FYI, none of them are vital to the story so yet another download shouldn't be necessary.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 16, 2016
  11. Sacrifyx

Sacrifyx Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    english
    Final version released. Back to work on volume 2!