[TWings] Characters List / Tablet of Stars (Suikoden-like)

Discussion in 'JS Plugin Releases (RMMV)' started by TWings, Jun 14, 2019.

Tags:
  1. TWings

TWings The Dragon Whisperer Veteran

First Language:
    French
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Hi, I'm still pretty busy with my main project, but after a few requests,
    I took some time to rewrite one of my first plugins for public use.

Plugin
    TWings_CharList v1.11

Author
    TWings

Introduction / Features
    This plugin is part of a Suikoden features plugins series and works similarly to the Tablet of Stars.
    For those not familiar with it, it's a feature designed for games with big rosters and hidden characters. Any game having a characters collection feature can probably find some use for it (pokemon-like).

So what does this plugins do exactly ?
    It allows you to display a customized list of characters, while hiding characters the player haven't recruited yet,
    and displaying some hint to find them.

Plugin_charList.png

How to use
    This plugin is not plug&play !
    You need to at least configure the Menu switch (turn it on in game), and the Characters list (with existing actor ids).

Demo
    There's a demo project available to download on my itch.io page showing some possible uses of this plugin.

FAQ
    You can use this thread or drop on my Discord server for questions.

Terms of use
    Credit : TWings
    Free to use for non-commercial games.
    Contact me for commercial games.

Versions
    • Version 1.11 :
      • New plugin commands to call the window directly in events.
    • Version 1.10 :
      • Optimisation for wide windows.
      • Customisable hidden name text.
      • Customisable missing hint text.
      • Customisable unlocked text.
      • Display of hidden characters shadows.
    • Version 1.00 :
      • Release.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 27, 2019
  2. JayIsrael

JayIsrael Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    This actually could be useful to me. :)
    Working on a Star Trek fan game, and was considering making it so that the player can "document" aliens they come upon during missions as a sort of side achievement.

I may be a long way off trying to do that - but I will absolutely remember this plugin. :)

TWings and Jeremiah Eastman like this.
  3. Jeremiah Eastman

Jeremiah Eastman Gladiator Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Heya bud, love the new plugin, it is a perfect addition for my game. I have it all implemented and it works perfect. I do have one thing I was wondering about though. I know you said there are no plugin commands but I was wondering if there is any way to bring up the window from a common event? The reason is I have an option in my menu called Special. This tab holds all the extra options and helps to keep the main menu from getting over crowded. This plugin would definitely fit with the others in my special tab but would need to be ran from a common event to make that happen.

Anyways, if not I will live but I was hoping there might be a way. Great plugin this will be a nice additions to many games I am sure.

TWings and JayIsrael like this.
  4. TWings

First Language:
    French
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    There's not dedicated plugin command, however you can use scripts in your events.
    To bring up this window :
    Code:
    SceneManager.push(Scene_TWCharList);
    Be aware that it bypasses the parametered Menu switch and will work even if it's off.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2019
    Jeremiah Eastman likes this.
  5. Jeremiah Eastman

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    That is perfect, exactly what I needed, huge thanks bud.:smile:

TWings likes this.
  6. TWings

First Language:
    French
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I've just released an update for this plugin with better support for wide windows and some new features !
    Version 1.10 :
    • Optimisation for wide windows.
    • Customisable hidden name text.
    • Customisable missing hint text.
    • Customisable unlocked text.
    • Display of hidden characters shadows.

7. Jeremiah Eastman

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Heya bud, love the update.:smile: The shadow characters looks really nice I was surprised how great of an addition that was. The text looks great now as well, You can actually fit quite a bit of text on the line.

I have come across a small bug I think. I would think you would have the same issue due to the similarity in amount of recruits your game has. So My game has 40 recruits currently. When i was testing the plugin I was force recruiting all 40 actors. When the tablet of stars had all those actors in it the faces stopped loading. They would slowly show up if you click back and forth on the actors but it then upon closing the window and reloading the window they were not showing up again.

Now, my computer is starting to get pretty old so hopefully that's the cause:smile: but maybe see if you can recreate this with your game just in case. At any rate the plugin is coming along nicely, soooo happy you have made this.:smile:

TWings likes this.
  8. TWings

First Language:
    French
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I had this problem a lot before. To prevent that, the pictures are actually preloaded when you open the main menu.
    I did some tests with your game and there's indeed some cases when the main menu is bypassed (like when you use the recruit all cheat).
    I could be wrong, but I don't think you have this problem if you always go through the main menu first.
    In that case one possible fix would be to force the scene launching your "special" menu window to use its reserveFaceImages() function when it creates it, but that would probably require to make some changes in whatever plugin's involved. :LZSskeptic:

Meanwhile, I'll keep looking for a better solution within my plugin.

9. Jeremiah Eastman

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Yeah I just sent you a message saying pretty much the same thing.:smile: The plugin that is calling the window is the Event Selector plugin that comes with rpg maker but in the bonus folder I believe. Sounds like you have a good idea there about using the reserveFaceImages() I'll take a look a see if I can figure out how to add it. Thanks for the reply.:smile:

10. TWings

First Language:
    French
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Problem solved ! (hopefully)
    This new update allows some new plugin command to control the pictures preloading and window opening within your events.
    With it, I also released a demo project on my itch.io to help understand the features.

Version 1.11 :
    • New plugin commands to call the window directly in events.

MMMm and Jeremiah Eastman like this.
  11. Jeremiah Eastman

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Great stuff bud, the new plug in works perfectly.:smile: I tested everything out and no missing faces. You got that update out quickly too, you do amazing work. It was stupidly easy to set up as well. I had the new fix implemented in seconds.:smile:

TWings likes this.