TWings

The Dragon Whisperer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Here's a brand new addition to my Suikoden series plugin !

Plugin
TWings_DuelBattles v1.42

Author
TWings

Introduction / Features
This plugin is part of a Suikoden features plugins series and works like the Duels.
For those not familiar with it, it's an alternative battle mode (doesn't replace the standard battle mode) where your hero can battle another enemy 1vs1 on a rock/paper/scisor kind of fight (3 special commands).

So what does this plugins do exactly ?
It allows you to create Duel Battles for any actor regardless of the player's current party.
By default, the plugin selects random actions for the enemy, but you can also define specific attack patterns.

Plugin_DuelBattle.png

How to use
This plugin is not plug&play !
Make sure to properly define the Attack Switch and Special Switch (that you'll use as conditions for Duel enemies skills). Be aware that those 2 switches will be used by the plugin and be turned ON/OFF during Duel Battles.

Define some specific Troops in your database for Duels (with only 1 enemy). The Duel Battle mode is not meant for several enemies in the same battle (1vs1 only).
When you turn on the Duel Battle mode, any battle will become a duel, so make sure to turn it on and off when it's appropriate.

As far as I've tested it with some of Yanfly's battle plugin, it worked, but I can't guarantee it will work well with every single plugin.
Make sure to put it after Yanfly's plugins.

Demo
There's a demo project available to download on my itch.io page showing how it works.

FAQ
You can use this page or drop on my Discord server for questions.

Terms of use
Credit : TWings
Free to use for non-commercial games.
Contact me for commercial games.

Versions
  • Version 1.42 :
    • Multiple Hint messages.
    • Performance optimisation.
  • Version 1.41 :
    • New turn result window option.
  • Version 1.40 :
    • New Hint message feature.
  • Version 1.30 :
    • New true Rock/Paper/Scissors mode (with customisable Guard skill).
    • Customisable player Attack skill.
    • Updated plugin commands to change the player attacks and special in game.
    • Memory usage optimisation.
    • More detailed and organised plugin description.
  • Version 1.21 :
    • The Special vs Guard case was causing an error.
  • Version 1.20 :
    • Customizable player Special skill.
    • Customizable enemies Attack and Special skills.
  • Version 1.10 :
    • There was a small compatibility issue with RMMV 1.6+
    • Fixed compatibility with YEP_BattleStatusWindow.
    • Changed the refresh timing of the enemy HP gauge.
    • Fixed Actor/enemy action sequences.
    • Fixed a bug occuring when looping an attack pattern.
  • Version 1.01 :
    • A bug was crashing the game at the end of a duel battle.
    • Some debug lines were displayed in the console.
  • Version 1.00 :
    • Release.

Attachments

Last edited:

omeg

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
french
Primarily Uses
RMMV
If it works ,i will use it for commercial project.Are you ok with that?

TWings

The Dragon Whisperer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMMV
While doing some tests, I've uncovered a critical bug !
I've just released a minor update to correct it.

TWings

The Dragon Whisperer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Update 1.10 available !
It fixes some compatibility issues with RMMV 1.6+ and YEP_BattleStatusWindow, as well as some other bugs.

Gregaur

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
french
Primarily Uses
Hey !

I'm using some Mog_Hunter pluggin to personalize my Battle UI. is it combatible ?

Thanks !

TWings

The Dragon Whisperer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I'm using some Mog_Hunter pluggin to personalize my Battle UI. is it combatible ?
You'll have to try.
Chances are it's not, but I could have a look to see if I can do something about it.

TWings

The Dragon Whisperer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I've just released a new update to add more flavour to the Special attack and enemies skills customization.
In case of a counter (Attack vs Special), it still displays the default attack animation though.

With this new version, you need to set 2 skills for duel enemies (1 Attack and 1 Special) and you need to use the switches from the plugin's parameters as conditions (see demo version).

Version 1.20 :
  • Customizable player Special skill.
  • Customizable enemies Attack and Special skills.

EDIT : HOTFIX !! version 1.21 (to replace the above version).
The Special vs Guard case was causing an error.

Last edited:

TWings

The Dragon Whisperer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Sweet update with a bunch of new features !
You have now more customisations option than ever and a new Rock / Paper / Scissors mode to open yet more use possibilities.

Version 1.30 :
  • New true Rock/Paper/Scissors mode (with customisable Guard skill).
  • Customisable player Attack skill.
  • Updated plugin commands to change the player attacks and special in game.
  • Memory usage optimisation.
  • More detailed and organised plugin description.

Tea's Jams

I'm human
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
What a coincidence I'm playing Suikoden 3 right now! Best series ever! These look like great updates :D

OniLink24

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hi TWings, really nice plugin. Thank You for doing this. I am a huge Suikoden Fan and I am glad that you made this plugin. I will use this for my game. I have only one question. Is it possible to add a feature where you can link text boxes to each action, like in the Suikoden games? Based on the text you can foreshadow which action your enemy will do. Maybe it is possible to add this feature to the specific attack pattern.

TWings

The Dragon Whisperer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I like the idea. I'll see what I can do about it. That will require some modifications though because right now the random enemy action is selected way after the player's choice.

TWings

The Dragon Whisperer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMMV
It was a bit harder than I expected but I eventually managed to add the option !

Version 1.40 :

It's using the default message window. Before battle, using plugin commands, you can now set a message for each 3 different actions and also a face picture.
unknown.png

OniLink24

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
It was a bit harder than I expected but I eventually managed to add the option !

Version 1.40 :

It's using the default message window. Before battle, using plugin commands, you can now set a message for each 3 different actions and also a face picture.
View attachment 125996
Thank You very much TWings for adding this feature. You are awesome. I played your demo and it is simply amazing. I am really glad to have found your plugin. I also saw your Forge Plugin from Suikoden. I will use both in my game. You have won a new patron :LZYgrin: .

Last edited:

Mojo907

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
My experience with it so far has been enjoyable, up to the 'counters' happening so often. If you could make it a tad more controllable like with a variable or such, and if it was controllable per skill type.

Also for the RPS version maybe using that new hint message feature, perhaps telling the player they won/lost/draw...the round ( perhaps customizable text ). Just my peeve I guess, kinda frustrates me when the character does nothing, and i can't tell why.

I would think it would be cool if you let notetags control what the attack/guard./special skills were active for player.
( Example: Sword with notetag [Slash] would then change Attack to Slash Attack or some such. )

TWings

The Dragon Whisperer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I gotta admit I haven't played any Suikoden game for a while, so I made it all from distant memories. I believe Special vs Attack and Guard vs Special always ended up in critical counters. Hence why I made it that way in Suikoden mode. However there should be no counters in RPS mode.

I hear you on the lack of indications about what's going on during turns. While I can't exactly use the new hint message for that purpose, I can try to think of some way to better inform the player.

Contrary to the popular way, I'm not a big fan of notetags. Notes weren't meant to be used that way and it's a performance killer to have to check the database for notes and sort out the data from them. So I'm avoiding it in my plugins using parameters or commands. In that case I'd recommend some clever eventing. You could use a Common Event before battle that checks the equiped weapon and change the skills accordingly.

TWings

The Dragon Whisperer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMMV
New minor update with an optional Turn result window parameter.
Version 1.41 :
  • New turn result window option.

Wyrelade

Wyrelade - The one and only.
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Finland
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
That's a very neat plugin. Good job on this one!

Diz89

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Woah! What a nice addon with the hint message. Is it possible to make multiple messages for atk and the enemy chooses one randomly or goes straight the order? like in the first turn he says "Attack!" and in the 2nd round: "Forward!"

TWings

The Dragon Whisperer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMMV
In the current version, you can only set 1 message per action type.
I'll look into adding that feature.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

I am dead tired but at the same time I really wanna write a tutorial x_x
Looked out side and couldn't see the neighbor's house through the snow. That age old Christmas song started going through my head. "It's a lovely day to say the heck at home."
Last year, I planted a bunch of spinach, and one plant wasn't doing well, so I transferred it to a separate pot. All its kin died while it hibernated over winter. Now it thrives. I've named it Prince Spinach.
Scooby Doo on Zombie Island is anime and you cant change my mind.
I guess the concept of friendship has changed :") Today I saw a very quiet boy getting bullied by his 'friends' because he wasn't talking. They made a circle and made him sit in the middle and were nagging him saying hey talk, sing a song, do this tongue twister etc. etc. And I could totally see the discomfort in the boy's face. Glad I don't have 'friends' lmao

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
muhlijem