Twist and plot ideas?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Najir, Apr 25, 2014.

1. Najir

Najir Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    english
          I am creating a short game over the coarse of a week or two. This game will use the default everything(almost) and is as of right now name casual RPG. What i need help with is how exactly to go about it.

This game will be generally easy and casual. But i want to make a massive twist that makes the game enjoyable and different. The problem is that i cant think of anything that could go well with it.

By twist i mean like something that makes the game more then what the name suggests like making it harder or making it have some sort of penalty for death perhaps.

I'm stuck and don't know what would be good so if anyone has any ideas or tips tell me.

2. MektiKwiiger

MektiKwiiger Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Norwegian
    Hm, browsing tvtropes.org usually gives me ideas. But you're asking a very open question, so I'm not really sure what you're really wanting for.

3. Engr. Adiktuzmiko

Engr. Adiktuzmiko Chemical Engineer, Game Developer, Using BlinkBoy' Veteran

First Language:
    Tagalog
    make the game loop? I mean the ending will lead to the start of that same story... XD

4. SunDog

SunDog KHAAAAAAAAN! Veteran

First Language:
    English
    This belongs in the true evil topic

Engr. Adiktuzmiko likes this.
  5. kiedisticelixer

kiedisticelixer Sexy Member Veteran

First Language:
    Spanish
    Some adventurers who already meet each other go join a tournament for a big reward from the king. Some bad guys mess up as they advance the stages of the tournament. Kill bad guys, keep climbing tournament. SIde-quests for learning new skills or rare items?

6. whitesphere

whitesphere Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    If you like downer endings:

A lone adventurer defeats various evils, and when s/he defeats the final boss, the player sees that the adventurer was insane --- and has just destroyed his/her home town and murdered his/her own family.

Or, for a non-downer ending ("borrowed" from The Others):

An adventuring party ventures through a strange, surreal world.  Random friendly encounters seem to be cryptic and half-spoken, like "Why...here?"    Monster encounters are with a really strange variety of opponents, and the monsters are somewhat transparent...

When you beat the final boss, the player learns he was Dead All Along (see TVTropes.org)

7. Najir

Najir Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    english
    Thanks for the feedback.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Hm, browsing tvtropes.org usually gives me ideas. But you're asking a very open question, so I'm not really sure what you're really wanting for

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

i never heard of tvtropes before this so thank you.

make the game loop? I mean the ending will lead to the start of that same story... XD

I am going to do something similar to this now thank you

Some adventurers who already meet each other go join a tournament for a big reward from the king. Some bad guys mess up as they advance the stages of the tournament. Kill bad guys, keep climbing tournament. SIde-quests for learning new skills or rare items?

This as givin me an idea for a part of the story so thank you too.

If you like downer endings:

A lone adventurer defeats various evils, and when s/he defeats the final boss, the player sees that the adventurer was insane --- and has just destroyed his/her home town and murdered his/her own family.

Or, for a non-downer ending ("borrowed" from The Others):

An adventuring party ventures through a strange, surreal world.  Random friendly encounters seem to be cryptic and half-spoken, like "Why...here?"    Monster encounters are with a really strange variety of opponents, and the monsters are somewhat transparent...

When you beat the final boss, the player learns he was Dead All Along (see TVTropes.org)

This gave me an idea for the true ending after the loops.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 26, 2014
  8. Momochon

Momochon Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    If you want to up the ante:

Make the character infected by a weird monster. (Zombie, vampire, werewolf, etc.)

If you REALLY WANT A SERIOUSLY TWISTED PLOT TWIST THAT WILL MAKE PLAYERS SAY OMFG:

The character is actually in a hospital, having a dream that he is reliving his memories again.
    But then he does something horribly wrong near the climax (killing his friends, joining up with a bad guy, etc.)

But he regrets it, but it is too late. He begs for retribution and forgivness as he flatlines.

9. SLEEP

SLEEP grunge rock cloud strife Veteran

First Language:
    emglish
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    make it all a dream.

10. Ksi

Ksi ~RTP Princess~ Moderator

First Language:
    English
    Don't make it all a dream. Do you know how annoying that is to the player? As though all their work was worth nothing (unless it actually changes something - say two endings, one where you defeat the dream and the character wakes from a coma and one where you don't and the character dies/remains in coma.)

I'd say focus on your characterisation. You want to make a game that will be memorable, don't just default it all up, either. Default is okay but it's not memorable. Don't ever use the paralysis skill as it is - this is memorable but in a more "Why do you hate my why do I keep dying I hate this game's fricking monsters kill me Alt+F4" way.

11. OM3GA-Z3RO

OM3GA-Z3RO Wounded Seraphim Veteran

Watch some animes with amazing plot twists that always makes my gears rolling.