Dacuna

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
How do you make characters two blocks high?

I don't want to make them squished to one block.

I'm not sure, but are you supposed to put a ! or a $ before your character image, such as !$Characters?

I can't seem to do it right.

Super Galaxy Convoy

Supreme Commander
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Vietnamese
Primarily Uses
It has nothing to do with the "!" or the "$" symbol. The "!" just tell the program to animate from the top row to the bottom row of the sprite, and the "$" symbol just tell the program that it is only one sprite instead of a sheet of 8 sprites. 

To make your character 2 block high, you need to graphically edit the sprite.

NoahJMina

RPG survivalist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMXP uses 64x32 sprites if thats what your looking for its not in Ace

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
There is no size limit on sprites, but each spritesheet needs to have a certain number of "components" to work correctly - and the $ and ! in the filename change how the spritesheet is processed by the game.

A single sprite needs 12 pictures of the same size (but that can be any size) - three horizontal for the animation, four vertical for the four directions. A full spritesheet needs 8 sprites in the usual 2x4 rows - resulting in a sheet of 12x8 single pictures of the same size.

If the filename of a spritesheet begins with $, then Ace will know that this is a single sprite and calculate the size of the sprite by dividing the horizontal picture size by 3 and the vertical by 4. Without the $ in the name the picture will be considered a full spritesheet and the basic size will be calculated by 1/12 of the horizontal and 1/8 of the vertical picture size...

You can look at the examples of the High-Fantasy-Packs in the store to see double-sized actors and much larger monster sprites.

If you follow the link in my signature, you'll find some tips explaining more about sprite naming.

The game's help-file also contains info on the formats used for sprites and tiles.

Just remember, if you want to use double-sized sprites you also have to look for fitting tiles as the size of tables from RTP will no longer fit the actors etc. And (depending on how large you will make the sprites) you might need a script to prevent wrong overlays with the tile above the original actor tile...

Dacuna

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Okay, thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:

Shaz

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
The "!" just tell the program to animate from the top row to the bottom row of the sprite, and the "$" symbol just tell the program that it is only one sprite instead of a sheet of 8 sprites.
You might want to check up on those details. ! has nothing to do with animation or what rows. It simply tells Ace not to draw those sprites a few pixels higher, but to line them up with the grid.

RMXP uses 64x32 sprites if thats what your looking for its not in Ace
RMXP uses 32x48 sprites for characters. SOME things (like doors) are slightly taller.

Sprites more than 32 pixels high might have issues with tiles set to star passability in the tileset. You'll have to be careful there.

Dacuna

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I found out how to do it.

Instead of making the picture the same size as the other pictures (6 sprites, 384 x 256) I can stretch it to be twice as tall, so that it still fits 6 sprites, but it uses two blocks (384 x 512).

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

7DcJlIG.png

Made a lot of progress on the tileset for the more sumptuous interior areas for the priory
I keep thinking up of new changes or improvements... Edit: Forgot to add the image Gimpwork.JPG
Hello, my nickname is Rigomor, but I am also known as Mopsikus. I work on RPG Maker games, and are currently working on a game called Peony of War.
If the world treats you like an enemy... Then the world must be your enemy...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Varlen