RMMV Two Clusters - Kain 1.0.0

Discussion in 'Games In Development' started by sura_tc, Oct 27, 2017.

1. sura_tc

sura_tc Loner Veteran

First Language:
    Korean
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    title_screen.jpg

Website

This is probably the most ambitious project from me. Reason being is that most of art assets, including tileset, are being created by me instead of purchasing ready-made assets. What that means is that development is much, much, slower.

This is a sci-fi game where the year is set in 9599 and background is our Solar system. The plot is actually a part of my own novel and is a small part of a much bigger world. I have strong lore and stories to back up the game’s world and its settings.

☕Story
    Kain is a poor part-time journalist who is about to lose his job due to severe economic recession on Moon. In order to be able to feed himself, he eventually opts to join Jupiter Navy to restart his life. This was his the last resort before becoming a homeless.

All he desired by joining the navy was just being able to feed himself. However, he soon finds himself involved in unexpected events which propels into an unexpected position of Uranus outpost administrator.

1. 720p screen resolution

2. Sci fi setting. Starting years is 9599

3. Backed up by strong lore

4. Spaceship & ground battle

5. Mature and political plot.

6. Trading system, follow demands!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 6, 2019
    MaGicBush, JPaulC, Indsh and 5 others like this.
  2. Ihavenoskin

Ihavenoskin Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Hello

I love the setting and the idea in general. The fact your doing your own graphics is great so well done, they look good in the screens :)

3. sura_tc

sura_tc Loner Veteran

First Language:
    Korean
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Version 0.0.2, the first update to the game has been released.

All it does on surface is extension of the main plot by a little.

4. Alastor01

Alastor01 Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Russian
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Like I said already, best of luck! ;)
    This is a grand project. Making your own assets is a big plus.
    There are people who like rendered graphics. Your maps look 100% unique. Keep them coming!

5. sura_tc

sura_tc Loner Veteran

First Language:
    Korean
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Version 0.0.5: Game is progressively shaping up.

1. Main plot progression: You can now enter space in a frigate.
    2. Spaceship SV image now has a firing animation now.
    3. Spaceship sprite improvement.
    4. Added a common event menu for entering Kain's frigate.

There are still a lot to do before the game is really playable. Space is going to be huge but largely empty. For next version, my top priority is adding space beacons so that you know where you are going.

ss_07.jpg

Last edited: Nov 12, 2017
    MMMm, Marquise* and Alastor01 like this.
  6. sura_tc

sura_tc Loner Veteran

First Language:
    Korean
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Patch note version 0.0.6

Restarting game is required due to me adding a Mog hud plugin. This is for ship supply consumption and later station management feature.

1. I’ve expanded space sectors you can sail in. Jupiter → Saturn → Uranus route have been established along with its BGMs. Animated space beacons have been added to guide you through seemingly large and empty space.

2. Above update adds two destinations. One is Saturn. The other is Uranus outpost. The latter will be worked on immediately but visiting Saturn will be locked out for a while. Story wise, Kain won’t be visiting there for a long while. I wish I could enable Saturn but I need to create entirely different artworks for that place.

3. There are five space sector security levels. The explanation is long, so I will simply refer to a PDF file I’ve drafted up.

4. Hostile NPC encounter is added to sectors with low enough security. Don’t expect to win those though, yet.

5. Space supply has been enabled. This is basically attrition.

ss_08.jpg

Marquise*, Alastor01 and MMMm like this.
  7. Freank

Freank Veteran Veteran

Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    why are you using 3D faceset in a 2d game? o.o

8. Alastor01

Alastor01 Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Russian
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    @Freank That's his style haha! There are many devs who render from 3D for 2D games :)

9. sura_tc

sura_tc Loner Veteran

First Language:
    Korean
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Patch note version 0.0.7

This update adds lots of little changes. Most are cosmetic. I will list some of bigger changes.

I am close to calling it 0.1.0.

1. The first mission is now available which involve some space battles. I will probably add custom battle hud later.

2. Menu now has background images. Some are placeholders at the moment. The background images are CG scenes I’ve created over the years.

3. Yanfly item core, party, and few other plugins were added and activated. No restart required for those.
    ss_10.jpg
    ss_11.jpg
    ss_12.jpg

Last edited: Dec 12, 2017
    Marquise* and Alastor01 like this.
  10. sura_tc

sura_tc Loner Veteran

First Language:
    Korean
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Patch note version 0.0.8

A restart is required. Older saves will be broken.

I’ve laid some groundwork for ground combat in this patch. In order to get a taste of it, you need to reach Pluto settlement after becoming a captain.

1. Before calling it 0.1, I wanted to ensure that I could implement ground combat because ground combat would literally double amount of game content I could implement as well as adding depth to the game. So far, I’ve made a crude SV_actor image of Kain. It’s in very early stage but I think it is possible. Ground combat also adds a nice star treky feature where you could summon ship crews from Kain’s ship to fight on ground which hasn’t been implemented yet.

2. Saturn is now accessible. I’ve considered numerous ways of how I’d do it. Parallax mapping came to my mind but the scale of the city was simply too large to be visible. In the end, I chose map + destination. Do note that the Saturn city render is not final. I need some finishing touches on it.

3. I’ve implemented Yanfly’s learnskill plugin. It’s only active once Kain becomes a captain. Skills are grouped into two categories: Space Op, Ground Op.

4. Pluto can now be visited though it’s very early stage and nothing is really there.

5. Second mission has been added although it can only be finished far later.

6. Random rocks in space (asteroids) are being added. I am going to need to add Kuiper belt soon because this game does go beyond Solar system.
    ss_21.jpg
    ss_22.jpg

Last edited: Dec 12, 2017
    Marquise* and Joy Diamond like this.
  11. sura_tc

sura_tc Loner Veteran

First Language:
    Korean
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Patch note version 0.0.9
    Mega link

Nothing much changed in terms of game content but there is a major change in art: I’ve started implementing my own character sprites.

This wasn’t in my original plan but I was having harder time creating more variants in sprites due to limited number of templates available to me. Pose was also an issue.

What this ultimately means is that I am basically creating almost all art assets for this game. Bad news about this is that this really slows me down because creating a new sprite takes 30 minutes to an hour usually. Good news is that I can create any pose, clothes, hair styles, I want.

The new sprites look slightly awkward to me but it will probably improve as I earn more know-how.

1. Restart is, again, required. I am sorry.

2. I’ve been replacing existing sprites with my own which took most of my spare time. Currently, about one third has been replaced with new sprites.

3. Interior of Kain’s cruiser is being worked on. It will take several patches to complete it.

4. There are two kind of companions in the game. One’s for space; they are called captains. Another is for ground; marines. Now, marines have sub-variants such as engineers, medic, and whatnot. The first marine companion, Ragnar, is added to the list of Kain’s crew. His sprite and battle sprites are fully complete while Kain’s isn’t.

5. Make sure you talk to Samuel once Kain gets his cruiser to receive a transmitter. This item is what you use to call marines and others to your side on ground battles.
    sshot_32.jpg
    sshot_33.jpg
    sshot_34.jpg
    sshot_35.jpg
    sshot_36.jpg

Marquise* likes this.
  12. sura_tc

sura_tc Loner Veteran

First Language:
    Korean
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Patch note version 0.1.0

The game's basic, fundamental, features are set. And plot wise, it has reached free roaming phase, so I've decided to call it 0.1.
    Adding game content will be my primary goal for a while.

1. Pluto mission can now be completed.
    2. A generic mission has been added.
    3. Saturn city render is complete.
    P.S. Changed game hosting to Google drive.

tc_shot_111.jpg

Marquise* likes this.
  13. Marquise*

Marquise* Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    French-Canadian
    I wonder if it could even one day be on Google play? Still it is good to have it free for now. :3

14. sura_tc

sura_tc Loner Veteran

First Language:
    Korean
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Patch note version 0.1.1

This patch is mostly about adding content to the game. It adds about an hour of gameplay.

1. Corrected a bug where you’d get a game end screen if Kain was K.O.ed when trying to return to space from Pluto surface.

2. Added “Zero gravity cooking” quest which adds a chef to Kain’s vessel. Welcome aboard, Imari. This quest begins from a crew on cafeteria of Kain’s cruiser.

3. “SOS received” mission added to Uranus outpost.

4. Margaret’s CG has been re-rendered. She’s got a new shirt.

5. I’ve added a rogue mining station in Pluto zone. It is literally a dungeon for exp and loot. It’s not finished.

ssshot_123156.jpg

15. Nightblade50

Nightblade50 Developer of "Delta Origins" Veteran

First Language:
    English, French
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    This game, and your custom resources, are very impressive! Good job.

16. sura_tc

sura_tc Loner Veteran

First Language:
    Korean
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Patch note version 0.1.2
    tc_012.jpg

This is another content update. There are a lot of random contents to be added. This update adds foundations for some new quests for 0.1.3.
    1. Two more zones added that goes further than Pluto which brings you to the heart of Kuiper belt. There is “Green outpost” which will act as a quest hub as well as a supply station in deep space. Nothing much there yet. They are big zones though and will be contents.

2. “To the stars” mission can be started from Saturn hotel room.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2018
    Marquise* and Nightblade50 like this.
  17. sura_tc

sura_tc Loner Veteran

First Language:
    Korean
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Patch note version 0.1.3

Yet another content update.

1. The only currently known planets in Kuiper belt are Makemake and Haumea. Those two have been added. Now, I’ve made it animated. However, due to MV’s limitation of mere 3 frames a second, it looks awkward.

2. “To the stars” mission can be completed.

3. “Kain the bouncer” mission has been added and can be completed. This has two outcomes.

4. The green outpost now has a strip club. Now, this isn’t an adult game, so don’t expect too much.

KingKraken likes this.
  18. Freank

Freank Veteran Veteran

Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    there are both 2d sprites both 3d sprites. Choose only one style...

19. sura_tc

sura_tc Loner Veteran

First Language:
    Korean
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I have and have been converting them. Most of them have been converted. This was noted in one of patch notes.

20. sura_tc

sura_tc Loner Veteran

First Language:
    Korean
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Two bonus CGs. I've been working on these for a while and feel glad that I finally get them off my shoulders.

These are in .PNG format and in 1080p. They are huge. Give it a moment to load.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Alastor01 and Marquise* like this.