Two Same Numbers when States are Active

Discussion in 'Javascript/Plugin Support' started by LawrenceindaSky, Oct 3, 2019.

1. LawrenceindaSky

LawrenceindaSky Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    So I'm not really sure where to post this but I am having a weird issue with my States, (Let's use Poison for example) and that is whenever I inflict Poison on a Enemy, this happens:
    upload_2019-10-2_12-48-30.png
    Two of the same number and they both actually add up, so that was 26 damage when I normally wanted 13.
    I cant seem to figure out what is going on exactly but here is my State 'Poison' for a example:
    upload_2019-10-2_12-51-8.png
    The only guess I have is the MOG_ATB Plugin, but im not sure what could be causing it. Any help would be appreciated!

2. Wavelength

Wavelength Pre-Merge Boot Moderator

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA

I've moved this thread to Plugin Support. Please be sure to post your threads in the correct forum next time. Thank you.

Sure sounds like an issue caused by your plugins. MOG_ATB is a very good initial guess. Are you able to turn that plugin OFF, Save, and test it without getting a crash? If so, what happens?

One other plugin you may want to look for is Yanfly's Buffs and States Core. I wonder whether Mog's ATB also modified it with a different name, causing both to individually send in the correct "13" damage number so that it happened twice. You could try turning that OFF and leaving Mog's ATB ON and see what happens, as well.

Other questions about your game's current behavior, to which finding the answer might lead you in the right direction:
    • Does this behavior also happen when you apply Poison to a character?
    • Do the Poison numbers only happen twice, or do they happen every fraction of a second? (If it's the latter, this could be intended behavior in an ATB )
    • When you've applied it to a character, does their HP drop the correct amount and it's merely a visual bug where the number pops up twice - or does their HP drop twice as much as you want it to?

3. LawrenceindaSky

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Thank you for moving this post, I do not have YEP_Buffs and States (I don't know if that will help having it) and im almost 100% positive its the ATB plugin, without it, it works fine. But to answer your 3 questions:

Yes, it applies to not only enemies but players and allies as well
    Two numbers pop up each time it does damage, two of the SAME number, and they add up resulting in double the value your trying to do
    It is not a visual bug, At first I thought it was a visual bug but then found out on the long run that it is double values

To give a slightly better example of my understanding, basically what im seeing is [output damage * 2].
    Should I send a screenshot of the plugin parameters of MOG_ATB?

4. Wavelength

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    I don't know Mog's ATB well enough, so you could always try posting a screenshot of your parameters and hope someone sees something wrong. My instinct would be that there's an actual bug in the code, and someone will need to figure out what method(s) is causing the DoT to be applied, and make sure that only triggers once per tick where appropriate.

Before a big code search begins though, one last thing you could try is replicating the bug in a clean project. Just insert the ATB (and any other plugins that the ATB requires) into a new project, create just the Poison state and a battler to apply it, and see whether you can recreate the bug using just that. If so, you almost definitely have a legitimate bug (that would require a code fix as detailed above - and finding that sucker can be tough in Mog's plugins). If not, then you actually have a plugin compatibility issue.

5. LawrenceindaSky

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Just tested the ATB in a new project, same issue. Im gonna try getting YEP Buffs and States plugin to see if that will help.
    EDIT: Didn't work

Last edited: Oct 3, 2019
  6. Oddball

Oddball Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    How does the script handle turns? is it editable? I imagine its applying it at the end of there turn, and at the start of Lawrence's turn

7. LawrenceindaSky

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    upload_2019-10-2_18-53-8.png
    That's the plugin parameters.

8. Oddball

Oddball Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Try increasing the states duration to 480 and see what hapens

9. Wavelength

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    OK, that proves the issue stems from the ATB system (as you initially suspected). Looking at the plugin's parameters, I like @Oddball's suggestion to make the States Duration 480 to match the Turn Duration. I would definitely mess with the States Duration and Turn Duration values a lot, and maybe even change up the ATB Max Value a few times, to see how those affect the timing of DoTs. If you've exhausted every combination of making them greater than, equal to (especially!), and less than each other, then it's definitely a bug in the code rather than your incorrect parameters.

I'm not familiar with this plugin's code, so this is probably the furthest I'll personally be able to help you.

10. LawrenceindaSky

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    I've tried it and still the same result.

11. Oddball

Oddball Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Whats "ATB mode3"? are there other ATB modes in the script?

Last edited: Oct 3, 2019
  12. LawrenceindaSky

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    There are 4 ATB modes, Normal, Semi Active I, Semi Active II, and Full Active, I personally prefer Full Active because it keeps the battle flowing at all times with no pauses.