Two script requests: Secret passages, and use weapon as a skill.

PhoenixQuest

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
For the first thing... Basically, all I need to be able to do is mark certain tiles (but not all tiles of that type) as being able to be passed under, so that the player could "walk into the wall" in order to find secret passages that lead to hidden rooms. I did find a script by someone named Neon Black that did that, but it seems he doesn't allow for commercial use and while I'm not 100% certain I want to do that in the end, I'd prefer only using assets and scripts that would let me do so, in the event that I were to commercialize my game eventually.

Does anyone know any alternatives that I might be able to use?

For the second... Does anyone know if there's a script that would allow you to use weapons from the item command in battle, to produce special effects? For example, a Fire Rod that when used as if it were an item (and not consumed), casts the Fire spell. Or a Sleep Sword that when used as an item, casts the Sleep spell. Is there any script that would allow me to do this?

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
For your first query, have the tiles you want the player to walk under as duplicates on a B-E tile and mark them with a star. I do that a lot. It doesn't need a script.

One thing you will have to bear in mind is a problem caused by the fact that sprites are a few pixels above the grid. That means that when you walk under a tile, the very tip if their heads show over the tile above the one where they are walking. That means that you have to have 2 tiles, one like I've just mentioned, and you place that on the map as you would expect. The other is a duplicate of the tile above. Place the ordinary impassable tile (which I assume is a tab A tile) and then on top of it place a B-E duplicate marked with a star. The impassible setting means that the player cannot move there, and the extra duplicate prevents the head showing.

PhoenixQuest

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
For your first query, have the tiles you want the player to walk under as duplicates on a B-E tile and mark them with a star. I do that a lot. It doesn't need a script.

One thing you will have to bear in mind is a problem caused by the fact that sprites are a few pixels above the grid. That means that when you walk under a tile, the very tip if their heads show over the tile above the one where they are walking. That means that you have to have 2 tiles, one like I've just mentioned, and you place that on the map as you would expect. The other is a duplicate of the tile above. Place the ordinary impassable tile (which I assume is a tab A tile) and then on top of it place a B-E duplicate marked with a star. The impassible setting means that the player cannot move there, and the extra duplicate prevents the head showing.
I actually thought about doing that, but the problem is... if I copy the A tiles onto a B tile... it no longer autotiles, and it's impossible to get it to actually draw the wall in the way that I need it to be drawn.

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@PhoenixQuest Yes you can do it, if you approach it in the right direction. Because this thread is in Script Support and this is not a script question, I can't answer it in detail - that's one of the many reasons why Members are asked to keep one query per thread.

I think I might have time today to do a simple tutorial on this, so if you can leave that aspect to one side for a short while, and let the thread concentrate on your other query, I'll let you know when it's ready.

Heirukichi

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Italian
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@PhoenixQuest as Kes explained, the first query can simply be solved with proper tiles, the auto-tile problem can also be solved using shift-mapping, for which I am pretty sure tutorials already exist. The second query might or might not need a script. I actually have a script that does that (check the link about Records in Blue in my signature, the script is being used there), but the said script is meant as a part of a completely different combat system.

That said, you could always have your weapons add a skill to the user when equipped, as long as the skill has the same name as the item, it would serve the same purpose of having the weapon appear in the skill list.

PhoenixQuest

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@PhoenixQuest Yes you can do it, if you approach it in the right direction. Because this thread is in Script Support and this is not a script question, I can't answer it in detail - that's one of the many reasons why Members are asked to keep one query per thread.

I think I might have time today to do a simple tutorial on this, so if you can leave that aspect to one side for a short while, and let the thread concentrate on your other query, I'll let you know when it's ready.
Ah, I see. Sorry about making it complicated ^_^;

I'm in no rush, really. Take all the time you need! :)

@PhoenixQuest as Kes explained, the first query can simply be solved with proper tiles, the auto-tile problem can also be solved using shift-mapping, for which I am pretty sure tutorials already exist. The second query might or might not need a script. I actually have a script that does that (check the link about Records in Blue in my signature, the script is being used there), but the said script is meant as a part of a completely different combat system.

That said, you could always have your weapons add a skill to the user when equipped, as long as the skill has the same name as the item, it would serve the same purpose of having the weapon appear in the skill list.
I know about shift mapping, but... like, if I add those tiles to the B tileset, all that it seems to produce is a 4-tile square in the tile selection window.

Here's a visual example of what precisely I'm trying to achieve.

wallexample.png

As for the skill weapons thing... I'll check out the script you have shortly, but as you said, it may not work due to a different combat system. I'm basically using the default battle system. And doing the second thing probably wouldn't work since I want it to function like old school FF/DQ games, where you would go into your item menu, select your Fire Rod during battle and it would cast Fire for 0 MP.

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
The tutorial has been made and is now waiting for Mod approval. Your problem with the tile is because you have not added the correct part to the tile sheet. You can't just put an auto tile into a B-E sheet and expect it to work because auto tiles have a different format. I show how to add the tile correctly in the tutorial.

PhoenixQuest

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
The tutorial has been made and is now waiting for Mod approval. Your problem with the tile is because you have not added the correct part to the tile sheet. You can't just put an auto tile into a B-E sheet and expect it to work because auto tiles have a different format. I show how to add the tile correctly in the tutorial.
I see! Let me know when it's approved! :)

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
You can find it here.

Heirukichi

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Italian
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
where you would go into your item menu, select your Fire Rod during battle and it would cast Fire for 0 MP.
Then you have to add an item for each equipped weapon and remove it when removing the said weapon from the equipment list. I can see why you would want that procedure to be automatic.

PhoenixQuest

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
You can find it here.
IT WORKS! :D

I had to get a little creative and had to make a solid black tile to go over it, since I wanted to go out into the blackness, but it worked perfectly! Thanks! :D

Then you have to add an item for each equipped weapon and remove it when removing the said weapon from the equipment list. I can see why you would want that procedure to be automatic.
Aye.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Who shares/sells their scripts/plugins on itch.io? Can I pick your brain?
If you ever need fantasy names and you're bored, make a fictional alphabet. Switch around the letters and see what you get :p
I JUST GOT PROMOTED TO 9TH GRADE BOIS!
On a scale of one to I just drew a pineapple with hairy legs how bored are you today?
Everybody else: We want this, this, this, this, this, and this, and don't forget that, plus that.... we need all of it added to the new RM.

Me: Just don't make me learn a new programming language. :kaoback:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tanzx