overlordmikey

BroCo. Gaming
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
So I've been using SumRndmDde's Walk Character Battlers and I'm having two (technically 3) issues with the plugin.

One just started seemingly out of no where.
2021_8_1_17_13_9_796_4480.png
Peggy and Brutus just don't show up sometimes. This wasn't an issue before I added a new sprite into the characters folder and sometimes it just doesn't happen and they appear fine. I don't see how adding a new sprite into the characters folder would effect this anyway.

Two is a two way problem
2021_8_1_17_6_14_769_4307.png
The main issue being you can't select the enemy with the mouse, you have to use the keyboard. Now that's not the biggest issue in the world, but I can see it being annoying - plus the implication is that if the game was released on Android that you wouldn't be able to select an enemy at all.
A side issue is that the text covers the enemy sprites and I'm not sure how to fix that.

MechPen

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
from what I remember SumRndmDde doesn't ever load bitmaps 'correctly'. you are intended to create a callback to set them up after loading. Therefore if the engine cannot load them instantly then sometimes they just remain invisible. Simply loading them into the image cache isn't enough because they will eventually get kicked out by other images.

Feel free to use my edited version, under the same terms the original plug in was offered.

<<plugin edited to fix a bug, see later post for details.>>

Attachments

• SRD_WalkCharBattlers.js
    31.4 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:

overlordmikey

BroCo. Gaming
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
from what I remember SumRndmDde doesn't ever load bitmaps 'correctly'. you are intended to create a callback to set them up after loading. Therefore if the engine cannot load them instantly then sometimes they just remain invisible. Simply loading them into the image cache isn't enough because they will eventually get kicked out by other images.

Feel free to use my edited version, under the same terms the original plug in was offered.
Now nobody is showing up. -_-'

MechPen

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Can you press F12 and see if there is any text in the console? I might've made a typo and I don't have a good map battler set up.

overlordmikey

BroCo. Gaming
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Can you press F12 and see if there is any text in the console? I might've made a typo and I don't have a good map battler set up.
Okay so I'm not the best at reading the console, but I don't see anything stand out "wrong", however I did some experimenting.
For some reason on yours you NEED to set the scale (example: <Walk Battler Scale: 1>) or the character simply doesn't appear. I'll let you know if I notice anything else off, but keeping that in mind - I am able to use it.
Hope this helps in any way.

MechPen

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Yep sorry, turns out I did make an error. I updated the original post with a new script. try it out sometime maybe.

overlordmikey

BroCo. Gaming
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Yep sorry, turns out I did make an error. I updated the original post with a new script. try it out sometime maybe.
Thanks, sadly still not working properly but I'm sure you'll figure out what's wrong eventually.
Hey I was wondering, well yer poking around in the script. Is there anyway to let you set the angle a character lays at when knocked out individually from the default? Cyrus the Dog ends up looking awkward (like he's trying to stand on his doggie hind legs) when he faints. I'd use fade, but if you use fade and revive a character their sprite doesn't reload.
EDIT: Actually whatever you did also removed the lay animation all together - now characters just stand in place when defeated. :rswt

Last edited:

MechPen

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
ok that doesn't make any sense to me. I changed a few things at random; lemme know if it behaves better.

Also added a flip Death Style for ya dog.

Attachments

• SRD_WalkCharBattlers.js
    31.8 KB · Views: 1

overlordmikey

BroCo. Gaming
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
ok that doesn't make any sense to me. I changed a few things at random; lemme know if it behaves better.

Also added a flip Death Style for ya dog.
This is gonna make me sound stupid. I think the problem may actually have been on my end. I changed the name of the script to differ it from the original and so I would remember to credit you as well and... I think that effects the functionality of the script. Because it wasn't working and I thought about it and changed the name back... and now it works - including the new flip death animation.

I feel like I put ya through a lot of garbage because I am an idiot. I am so sorry.
But at least we got a cool new flip death animation out of it! :D

MechPen

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
oh yeah scripts don't like it when names are change because it breaks the link between plugin parameters and the plug in file.

There is a way to write a plug in so it always knows it name but I forget how to do it.

if you do ever rename a plug in, open it up in notepad and look for PluginManager.parameters('SRD_WalkCharBattlers');
That part in quotes needs to match the name of the file.

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Working on a characteeer! (Why is it so hard to color hair?) ;-;
Silly-Sketches.png
Just finished eventing a couple simple puzzles in RMMV, for my very first game "Sample Quest." Just messing around, throwing things together, and calling it a story XD On a non-RM note, got my hair cut today!
I feel the need to inform everyone on the forums NOT to go with Web Hosting Canada for your hosting needs. It is by far the worst customer service and just overall experience I have ever had with hosting and I am Canadian...
BCj
Got another eye surgery monday. Hope I'll recover quick and all's well. A bit tired of surgeries. On a happy note, working on the next chapter of Escalia so hope I can continue soon :)
Celebrating the arrival of autumn in the Northern Hemisphere :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kotfwing