Captain_Joshua

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I´m currently working on my game and I have multiple yanfly plugins installed including the quest journal. Until a while ago it worked perfectly fine and I focused on other parts of my game. But now whenever I try to open the quest book in the menu of the game I get the TypeError in the topic title. How can I fix this error? I´ve made quite a few quests and it would be very unfortunate if I were to lose them. The console gave me this error when I press on the quest journal button in the games menu.

TypError: Cannot read property ´format´ of undefined
at Window_QuestCategories.makeCommandList (YEP_QuestJournal.js:4424)
at Window_QuestCategories.Window_Command.initialize (rpg windows.js:1301)
at Window_QuestCategories.intialize (YEP_QuestJournal.js:4308)
at new Window_QuestCategories (YEP_QuestJournal.js.:4297)
at Scene_Quest.createCategoryWindow (YEP_QuestJournal.js:4853)
at Scene_Quest.create (YEP_QuestJournal.js:4822)
at Function.SceneManager.changeScene (rpg manager.js:2010)
at Function.SceneManager.updateMain (rpg manager.js:1987)
at Function.SceneManager.update (rpg manager.js:1907)

Scenemanager.catchexception
Scenemanager.update

Last edited:

Aloe Guvner

Walrus
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
1.) Please ensure that all Yanfly plugins are in exactly the same order as on their website.

2.) Check the name of the Plugin, it has to be named exactly the same as when it was downloaded in order for it to read the parameters. Yours is "yep_questjournal.js" and I believe it should be "YEP_QuestJournal.js" (check the Yanfly website to be sure)

Captain_Joshua

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I checked and confirmed that all the plugins in my plugins list are in the right order. I also confired that the name of the plugin is in fact YEP_QuestJournal. Afterwards I tested it again but with no different result then before.

The console wouldn´t let me simply copy the text so I wrote it out by hand in my post. In the console the things are in fact properly capitalized. updated my original post accordingly.

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Please post screenshots of both your plugin manager and the console output. Additionally check your projects rpg_core.js with a text editor and give us the version number at the end of the title line.

We need more details to help you.

Last edited:

Captain_Joshua

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Screenshots uploaded. I´m sorry that I didn´t provide enough details. Would this be enough?

Attachments

• Unbenannt 2.png
    Unbenannt 2.png
    313.4 KB · Views: 15
  • unbenannt.png
    unbenannt.png
    200.1 KB · Views: 14

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
You didn't give the projects core Version, that is important as well.
And I strongly suggest to rename your folder to comply to networking rules (no spaces allowed for example) because that will cause problems on deployment.

Captain_Joshua

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I´m still rather new to rpg making...how exactly do I find/show the projects core version?
Also I´m not quite sure with what you mean with complying to networking rules...So should I rename the actual files with _ instead of a space?

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Open your project folder and search for the file named rpg_core.js there. Then right-click and open with an editor (notepad or whatever).

Networking rules means no spaces, only latin letters and a limited number of special signs.
Look at your console output: everything that gets replaced by a % sich and a number is an illegal letter under networking rules, and it gets replaced with that exactly because networking programs can not handle those signs or spaces. And that will cause problems on deployment.

Captain_Joshua

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
now to those two points.
1. I´ve opened rpg_core.js in notepad but it´s almost 10000 lines long. Should I now screenshot all of those and upload them here or what? I´m sorry that i´m probably making this unecessarily complicated but I don´t really know what I´m doing.
2. so which things should i rename for it to work better with the networking rules?

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
As i said in the post #4 above we need the version number at the end of the title line (second line). If there is no number there, it's 1.0
And in the console screenshot it was the folder name that has the errors, but I don't know if you added other files that were not yet creating bugs.

Captain_Joshua

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
It´s v1.6.0. I hope that this helps.

also, added other files to what? The game itself? the plugin? I´m not sure what you mean with that.

Attachments

• Unbenannt.png
    Unbenannt.png
    164.3 KB · Views: 4

Shaz

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
You should probably roll back to 1.5.2 at the most because 1.6.0 is known to be glitchy and is being worked on.

The error is generated from this section of code:
Code:
Window_QuestCategories.prototype.makeCommandList = function() {
  var list = JSON.parse(this.settings('Category Order'));
  var length = list.length;
  for (var i = 0; i < length; ++i) {
    var listItem = list[i];
    switch (listItem) {
    case 'available':
      var fmt = this.settings('Available Text');
      var number = $gameSystem.totalQuestsAvailable();
      break;
    case 'completed':
      var fmt = this.settings('Completed Text');
      var number = $gameSystem.totalQuestsCompleted();
      break;
    case 'failed':
      var fmt = this.settings('Failed Text');
      var number = $gameSystem.totalQuestsFailed();
      break;
    case 'all':
      var fmt = this.settings('All Text');
      var number = $gameSystem.totalQuestsKnown();
      break;
    case 'cancel':
      var text = this.settings('Cancel Text');
      this.addCommand(text, 'cancel');
      continue;
      break;
    }
    number = Yanfly.Util.toGroup(number);
    var text = fmt.format(number);
    this.addCommand(text, 'category', true, listItem);
  }
};

it's this line that's causing the error:
Code:
var text = fmt.format(number);

because it's saying fmt is not defined.

I think it's indicating that something in your Category Window settings is incorrect - perhaps you have cleared something there?

I would roll back first though, because it's been common that people who have issues on 1.6.0 no longer have issues when they go back to an earlier version. When you do that, make sure you update your core files - if there are not specific instructions, just follow the same instructions that are given for upgrades as far as what files to copy.

Captain_Joshua

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I don´t think that I´ve cleared anything there...But if the reason for the problem is really the fact that I´m on version 1.6.0, , wouldn´t it be smart to just leave it be for now and wait for them to fix the problems with 1.6? I have a lot of other things to still work on that aren´t broken, so I can still jump back to 1.5.2 if the problem hasn´t been fixed on its own by then.

Shaz

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
1.6 has been out for a while now - no telling when the issues will be fixed.

At least if you go back to 1.5.something you'll know whether that was the problem or not, and can spend more time trying to solve it or move onto something else. And you can't KNOW that all the other things are going to work in 1.6 - if you run into other issues, you won't know whether it's the glitchy version or something you've done wrong, so you could waste many hours (and many hours of forum members' time) trying to fix a problem that isn't really a problem. Each time you ask for help and it's determined that you're on 1.6, you're going to be given the same response ... revert.

Captain_Joshua

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
That´s a very good point...How do I go about reverting things back to 1.5.2? I tried opening the Betas tab in steam and reverting it to 1.5.2 but I had the same result when I attempted to open the quest list ingame.

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
You need to revert the project back to 1.5.2 as well, that can never be done through steam but only manually.
The process is the same as updating the project, and instructions for that (including the important backup in case something goes wrong) are in every update topic here on the forum. Just search for the 1.5.2 topic here and follow those instructions about updating the project.

Shaz

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
You can update to a different version of the engine, but that will only affect projects you create from that version of the engine. Already-created projects are not automatically upgraded/downgraded when you change your engine version - you have to do that manually.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Today *Fix the game UI
RMMZ maxRows make me tired.
The game supports real-time language switching (really interesting).
8laFKAa.png

jBYDFzZ.png

lYbvPth.png

mY99lgU.png

Swag collecting in the new randomly generated area. Now the mini map also shows the randomly generated features... And even illustrates the whole "bubble" system" that I made to manage memory... Though that part's inadvertent. We'll just call that "the fog of war"... Yes, that's what we'll do. Nobody will be the wiser! :kaopride:
not me being not lazy for 5 seconds and drawing another char portrait (her name is hazel)
its_hazel.png
Been a while since the last time I made a song remix. Had a blast making this
One thing those jp developer still get wrong about boob physic is that... men's muscly hard pecs can jiggle too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Back-AlleySnowman