Reaction score
First Language
Indonesia
Primarily Uses
N/A
UFC Tower Defense 1.2
UnwantedFriedChicken

Introduction
This is my reasult from learning rpg maker with this plugin you can add tower defense mechanic, you can add configuration for enemy, tower and health. also tower have unique effect

Features
- Add tower defense with attack range effect and more
- Add enemy waves
- and more... from basic tower defense mechanic

Screenshots
2020-11-28_13-14-55.png2020-11-28_13-15-24.pngScreen Shot 2020-12-06 at 02.45.26.png

How to Use
https://github.com/unwantedfriedchicken/rpgmakermz-plugins/blob/master/dev/towerdefense/README.md

Demo
You can download the source from the game I make last time to easier to play arround
download the Adventurer Guild The Barrier Defender-source.zip

Download
- UFCTowerDefense
- GuideAction

Source
https://github.com/unwantedfriedchicken/rpgmakermz-plugins

Changelog
https://github.com/unwantedfriedchicken/rpgmakermz-plugins/blob/master/dev/towerdefense/CHANGELOG.md

Terms
MIT

Last edited:

wrigty12

Just a QAer playing with Javascript
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
This. Is. Amazing.

This makes me tempted just to make a quick side game with this engine xD

Before I start going through the code/demo setup, is it possible to add this into a normal RPG game as like a separate scene? I'd love to include this in my main game as like a side-quest style thing, to keep things fresh.

EDIT: After playing through the full demo, I had a couple enhancement ideas. Is it alright if I go ahead and try to create them myself (I like to practice plugin making)?
1) Allow for the player to access the shop from the main menu (I was thinking the cost could be a bit higher, since it's more convenient. Go to the physical shop for normal prices)
2) Allow certain towers to have branched upgrades. Example: Like the Sword Thrower could be upgraded to the Magic Swordsman OR a Fire Swordsman (which instead of increasing speed, would allow for burn).

Last edited:
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesia
Primarily Uses
N/A
This. Is. Amazing.

This makes me tempted just to make a quick side game with this engine xD

Before I start going through the code/demo setup, is it possible to add this into a normal RPG game as like a separate scene? I'd love to include this in my main game as like a side-quest style thing, to keep things fresh.

EDIT: After playing through the full demo, I had a couple enhancement ideas. Is it alright if I go ahead and try to create them myself (I like to practice plugin making)?
1) Allow for the player to access the shop from the main menu (I was thinking the cost could be a bit higher, since it's more convenient. Go to the physical shop for normal prices)
2) Allow certain towers to have branched upgrades. Example: Like the Sword Thrower could be upgraded to the Magic Swordsman OR a Fire Swordsman (which instead of increasing speed, would allow for burn).

Thank you! :D

I still haven't try using other plugin, I think it's fine but still need more clean up. I will test it later

of course! you can do whatever you want with it

Ohhhh that both suggestion looks very interesting, I'm gonna add to my todolist.
And really love branch upgrade idea, it's open for more possibility for upgrade. maybe you can upgrade ice power or add other effect. I'm will do this next update :D

wrigty12

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Thank you! :D

I still haven't try using other plugin, I think it's fine but still need more clean up. I will test it later

of course! you can do whatever you want with it

Ohhhh that both suggestion looks very interesting, I'm gonna add to my todolist.
And really love branch upgrade idea, it's open for more possibility for upgrade. maybe you can upgrade ice power or add other effect. I'm will do this next update :D

As far as I can tell, due to it needing you to access the main menu to place items, I don't think it would work w/ my game as-is. I think to make it fully stand-alone, it would need its own copy of the Main Menu Scene to allow quick access to placing Items (or the buy menu, exit game, etc).

I went ahead and tried my hand at creating both my original enhancement ideas. Attached is that plugin.

Absolutely feel free to take the work I did, alter it, and add it into your source code to make sure it's 100% compatible. (In order for my plugin to work, I had to remove the wrapper around your code
Code:
() => {

})();
I don't exactly know why as I use the same wrapper on my own plugins and I've never run into a Scoping issue. So something in your coding style is preventing plugins from referencing your code.)

The next thing I was going to do was go through and convert some aspects of your hard-coded stuff into Plugin Parameters in order to make it more accessible to people to customize (like certain text colors). However, since you are going to make edits yourself, I'll let you decide to do that.

Also, two more enhancement ideas I thought of while doing this:
1) Allow certain towers to increase aspects of towers around it, like increasing bullet speed or damage. Ex: Build a house item, and all towers in its range increase their attack by 2. (It doesn't actually attack itself)
2) Allow attacks to be defined as a certain type, and monsters be able to be only hit by certain type attacks. Ex: During enemy setup, set Type = All OR Normal OR Flying OR Underground Then, in item notetag, <attacktype:All OR Normal OR Flying OR Underground> items can only attack monsters that match that type.

Thanks again for creating this! As it is, it's seems like a very powerful engine and I feel like I could make a fun small side-project game with it ^_^

Attachments

• TDW_TowerDefenseEnhancements.js
    29.5 KB · Views: 8

estriole

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
indonesian
nice plugin... this will open new genre of game created using MZ...
will definitely try this one :D.

Code:
() => {

})();
I don't exactly know why as I use the same wrapper on my own plugins and I've never run into a Scoping issue. So something in your coding style is preventing plugins from referencing your code.)
i also dislike using that style of wrapper... because somehow from other plugin i cannot grab the "original method before they modify it" inside that kind of wrapper... because i think it become local variable inside that wrapper function and lost when we enter another plugin (i might be wrong though)...
ex:
Code:
(() => {
var windowBase_drawFace = Window_Base.prototype.drawFace;
})();
somehow i cannot access windowBase_drawFace from other plugins... if anyone know how to access that from other plugin please tell me :D.

i prefer using:
Code:
var EST = EST || {};
EST.NewPlugin = EST.NewPlugin || {};
EST.NewPlugin.pluginName="EST_NEW_PLUGIN";

(function($){

})(EST.NewPlugin);
wrapper style
so when i alias something inside that wrapper i use:
Code:
$.myAliasName = Game_Map.prototype.updateScroll
so the original method never lost after aliasing it... it could be called by other people plugin using EST.NewPlugin.myAliasName

Reaction score
First Language
Indonesia
Primarily Uses
N/A
You both amazing!

I never expected someone extend the plugin so I make it inside anonymous closure, I don't want overwriting other variable incase something already exist hahaha

nice plugin... this will open new genre of game created using MZ...
will definitely try this one :D.

i also dislike using that style of wrapper... because somehow from other plugin i cannot grab the "original method before they modify it" inside that kind of wrapper... because i think it become local variable inside that wrapper function and lost when we enter another plugin (i might be wrong though)...
ex:
Code:
(() => {
var windowBase_drawFace = Window_Base.prototype.drawFace;
})();
somehow i cannot access windowBase_drawFace from other plugins... if anyone know how to access that from other plugin please tell me :D.

i prefer using:
Code:
var EST = EST || {};
EST.NewPlugin = EST.NewPlugin || {};
EST.NewPlugin.pluginName="EST_NEW_PLUGIN";

(function($){

})(EST.NewPlugin);
wrapper style
so when i alias something inside that wrapper i use:
Code:
$.myAliasName = Game_Map.prototype.updateScroll
so the original method never lost after aliasing it... it could be called by other people plugin using EST.NewPlugin.myAliasName
I forgot you can do that! but I think I will just stick with delete the anonymous closure, it's more simple for now :D

There's article about module pattern here, I really forgot about it :D

As far as I can tell, due to it needing you to access the main menu to place items, I don't think it would work w/ my game as-is. I think to make it fully stand-alone, it would need its own copy of the Main Menu Scene to allow quick access to placing Items (or the buy menu, exit game, etc).

I went ahead and tried my hand at creating both my original enhancement ideas. Attached is that plugin.

Absolutely feel free to take the work I did, alter it, and add it into your source code to make sure it's 100% compatible. (In order for my plugin to work, I had to remove the wrapper around your code
Code:
() => {

})();

The next thing I was going to do was go through and convert some aspects of your hard-coded stuff into Plugin Parameters in order to make it more accessible to people to customize (like certain text colors). However, since you are going to make edits yourself, I'll let you decide to do that.

Also, two more enhancement ideas I thought of while doing this:
1) Allow certain towers to increase aspects of towers around it, like increasing bullet speed or damage. Ex: Build a house item, and all towers in its range increase their attack by 2. (It doesn't actually attack itself)
2) Allow attacks to be defined as a certain type, and monsters be able to be only hit by certain type attacks. Ex: During enemy setup, set Type = All OR Normal OR Flying OR Underground Then, in item notetag, <attacktype:All OR Normal OR Flying OR Underground> items can only attack monsters that match that type.

Thanks again for creating this! As it is, it's seems like a very powerful engine and I feel like I could make a fun small side-project game with it ^_^
Your enhancement is really amazing! I really love how you handle the shop, you even add hide the sell option. Looking at your code there's so many things I don't know and learn a lot, I really need learn more. Can I add some of your code to the main plugin?

That would amazing, but my current code is messy I'm still cleaning up right now :D

Aura tower and enemy type!!!!!!!!!! I really forgot about it, priest adventurer add buff for near adventurer, that will pretty cool! I will add it later

thanks for try it, even give cool suggestion and extend it that amazing :D

wrigty12

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Glad you found my code useful. Feel free to add it directly into your own!

I never formally learned Javascript (I'm not even a programmer), I've mainly learned by looking at other plugins and googling stuff, so I'm happy you can actually learn something from my code!

As for that anonymous stuff, I may take some time to learn about it and keep it in mind for any of my plugins going forward. This is the only time I've ever run into this issue, probably because most code I reference is just base code xD

EDIT: I tried out throwing the (function($){ wrapper style in your code, then creating global copies of each of the functions I referenced in my own code, and it worked! I think I better understand now how anonymous closures work (turns out I've been half-using them in my own code already!)

Last edited:

estriole

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
indonesian
There's article about module pattern here, I really forgot about it :D
that article confirm it... :D... using the "Anonymous Closure" (that's the name i've been looking for :D) makes all var and function declared inside there only have local scope in that function :D... thus people using that wrapper method will effectively erase all the original method that aliased by them... :D. other people cannot use that original code anymore in other plugin :D.

i tried the demo... some input... it would be better to not use the default menu to place the tower... so people can add this as minigames outside the main story... also for the shop... it would be better to create custom shop too instead modifying the existing one :D. and maybe instead of shop create a clickable HUD that show tower and it's price... when clicking that tower give the tower to inventory (or even better directly place it) and then deduct the price...

btw i like the idea of Aura Tower and Enemy Type... will add more depth to the strategy...
Enemy Type could have:
1) different damage when hit by different tower type (armored type damage 50% from normal tower but damage 200% from magic type tower)
2) cannot be hit by some tower type (ex flying enemy cannot be hit by ground type tower)

maybe if possible also add splash damage tower?

this plugin have lots of potential...

and i think game using this plugin would be perfect when combined with my plugin here
EST - Strategy Mouse Cam

Last edited:
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesia
Primarily Uses
N/A
I'm still not understand the module pattern well, sometimes I just forgot and get confused how things work :D

that article confirm it... :D... using the "Anonymous Closure" (that's the name i've been looking for :D) makes all var and function declared inside there only have local scope in that function :D... thus people using that wrapper method will effectively erase all the original method that aliased by them... :D. other people cannot use that original code anymore in other plugin :D.

i tried the demo... some input... it would be better to not use the default menu to place the tower... so people can add this as minigames outside the main story... also for the shop... it would be better to create custom shop too instead modifying the existing one :D. and maybe instead of shop create a clickable HUD that show tower and it's price... when clicking that tower give the tower to inventory (or even better directly place it) and then deduct the price...

btw i like the idea of Aura Tower and Enemy Type... will add more depth to the strategy...
Enemy Type could have:
1) different damage when hit by different tower type (armored type damage 50% from normal tower but damage 200% from magic type tower)
2) cannot be hit by some tower type (ex flying enemy cannot be hit by ground type tower)

maybe if possible also add splash damage tower?

this plugin have lots of potential...

and i think game using this plugin would be perfect when combined with my plugin here
EST - Strategy Mouse Cam
Yeah I still thinking about create custom scene or maybe window so the game not paused. I will try to experiment more to make it interesting. I kinda like the @wrigty12 idea, when using direct shop the price is higher, the shop is like panic button when walk to shop is too far and enemy already near crystal

I guess aura and attack type should be my priority right now :D
Ofcourse the splash damage!!! I feel like there's something missing with the gameplay hahaha

I just tried your plugin that was amazing! I feel like playing RTS! I will to add compability with the plugin
I had some trouble with your plugin disablePSAlwaysOn doesnt do anything? I want to always disable player scroll, tried disablePSSwitch but still do nothing,
so I just test it with return empty to updatescroll
Also would love if have auto scroll to player function, so when player move with keyboard the camera automatic go to player and enable the always player scroll
or button in hud to automatic go to player, just like rts :D

Last edited:

estriole

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
indonesian
I'm still not understand the module pattern well, sometimes I just forgot and get confused how things work :D

Yeah I still thinking about create custom scene or maybe window so the game not paused. I will try to experiment more to make it interesting. I kinda like the @wrigty12 idea, when using direct shop the price is higher, the shop is like panic button when walk to shop is too far and enemy already near crystal

I guess aura and attack type should be my priority right now :D
Ofcourse the splash damage!!! I feel like there's something missing with the gameplay hahaha

I just tried your plugin that was amazing! I feel like playing RTS! I will to add compability with the plugin
I had some trouble with your plugin disablePSAlwaysOn doesnt do anything? I want to always disable player scroll, tried disablePSSwitch but still do nothing,
so I just test it with return empty to updatescroll
Also would love if have auto scroll to player function, so when player move with keyboard the camera automatic go to player and enable the always player scroll
or button in hud to automatic go to player, just like rts :D
ah yes... i added that plugin parameter but forgot to add the code >.<...

camera focus to player(or any event) might not be included in that plugin though... if i made that feature it might be separate plugin (i actually have prototype working code but still working on it)...

for the scene vs window... i think it would be better to use window inside Scene_Map... or even instead of window use clickable HUD (sprite)... because if using custom scene... you will exit the scene map to the custom scene and even if you can still update the spritesetmap (to see the enemy move etc)... it will be a mess to also process the tower hitting enemy or enemy hitting the crystal... not to mention when you are currently opening that custom scene... you win or you lose at that exact time... it will be hell to code :D... so it would be better if having window or HUD inside scene map... just make sure it's bindable to a switch... so people can activate or deactivate it (if they only want the tower defense as minigame). hope this help :D.

Reaction score
First Language
Indonesia
Primarily Uses
N/A
ah yes... i added that plugin parameter but forgot to add the code >.<...

camera focus to player(or any event) might not be included in that plugin though... if i made that feature it might be separate plugin (i actually have prototype working code but still working on it)...

for the scene vs window... i think it would be better to use window inside Scene_Map... or even instead of window use clickable HUD (sprite)... because if using custom scene... you will exit the scene map to the custom scene and even if you can still update the spritesetmap (to see the enemy move etc)... it will be a mess to also process the tower hitting enemy or enemy hitting the crystal... not to mention when you are currently opening that custom scene... you win or you lose at that exact time... it will be hell to code :D... so it would be better if having window or HUD inside scene map... just make sure it's bindable to a switch... so people can activate or deactivate it (if they only want the tower defense as minigame). hope this help :D.
Yeah maybe you're right, that looks like a lot of work, I'll try later I kinda like scene to make player breathing? when play, kinda like pause button hahaha. but I guess i will try to make the window since I need rework all ui because all new features

I just finish implement new features, if anyone want to play arround there's update in dev branch.
There's also changelog so I can remember what I just change
here if anyone want try the version that still in dev

Changelog https://github.com/unwantedfriedchicken/rpgmakermz-plugins/blob/dev/dev/towerdefense/CHANGELOG.md
Plugin https://github.com/unwantedfriedchicken/rpgmakermz-plugins/blob/dev/UFCTowerDefense.js

Adding auras & types really make the game more interesting!, I make hero tower where they have many effects but also give negative aura to the surrounding
Code:
<effects:stun|0|120|20,cold|40|120|20,rage|40|120|40,poison|2|120|20>
<attacktype:all>
<auras:attack|2|fixed,range|-1|fixed,attackspeed|-50|percentage>

wrigty12

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Yeah maybe you're right, that looks like a lot of work, I'll try later I kinda like scene to make player breathing? when play, kinda like pause button hahaha. but I guess i will try to make the window since I need rework all ui because all new features

I just finish implement new features, if anyone want to play arround there's update in dev branch.
There's also changelog so I can remember what I just change
here if anyone want try the version that still in dev

Changelog https://github.com/unwantedfriedchicken/rpgmakermz-plugins/blob/dev/dev/towerdefense/CHANGELOG.md
Plugin https://github.com/unwantedfriedchicken/rpgmakermz-plugins/blob/dev/UFCTowerDefense.js

Adding auras & types really make the game more interesting!, I make hero tower where they have many effects but also give negative aura to the surrounding
Code:
<effects:stun|0|120|20,cold|40|120|20,rage|40|120|40,poison|2|120|20>
<attacktype:all>
<auras:attack|2|fixed,range|-1|fixed,attackspeed|-50|percentage>
Woah, such a quick turnaround xD

I'll try playing with it tonight, maybe tomorrow!

EDIT: So upon updating your code, I get an error when I open the Outside_City:
1606873997850.png
Upon looking at the code, I think it's because none of the enemies have an Enemy Type set. I think you should include a default for all enemies to be 'all' if they don't have one declared, as a good safety net. It's easy enough to fix on the event side, so not a big deal, just something to think about ^_^

EDIT #2: An easy thing to allow for customization via a plugin parameter: Make it so the player can add their own custom Attack/Enemy types. They could then set them in the Plugin Command via the "Text" option.

EDIT #3: Alright, my last thought today xD I think it would be nice for Aura Towers to have a different Range Color. To go with it, I think allowing customization for Range Colors is a perfect fit for Plugin Parameters. I created them in your code, and I attached the changes I made as a .txt. If you agree with me, feel free to throw them into your source code ^_^

Attachments

• UFC - Range Color Parameters.txt
    1.3 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesia
Primarily Uses
N/A
Woah, such a quick turnaround xD

I'll try playing with it tonight, maybe tomorrow!

EDIT: So upon updating your code, I get an error when I open the Outside_City:
View attachment 169540
Upon looking at the code, I think it's because none of the enemies have an Enemy Type set. I think you should include a default for all enemies to be 'all' if they don't have one declared, as a good safety net. It's easy enough to fix on the event side, so not a big deal, just something to think about ^_^

EDIT #2: An easy thing to allow for customization via a plugin parameter: Make it so the player can add their own custom Attack/Enemy types. They could then set them in the Plugin Command via the "Text" option.

EDIT #3: Alright, my last thought today xD I think it would be nice for Aura Towers to have a different Range Color. To go with it, I think allowing customization for Range Colors is a perfect fit for Plugin Parameters. I created them in your code, and I attached the changes I made as a .txt. If you agree with me, feel free to throw them into your source code ^_^
Yeah there are so many changes with the parameters, when this update 1.1 is done I will update the demo

Enemy types with parameter is kinda cool I will add later, I think the option is still there but if want custom types change the option to text and enter the custom types

Custom colors for range looks really cool instead of hardcode, Thank you! i add the feature

Reaction score
First Language
Indonesia
Primarily Uses
N/A

wrigty12

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I really like the new UI. A few things from playing the demo (in browser):
1) It looks like you've made the UI only usable with Touch/Mouse, no longer keyboard. Was that intentional? ( I hope not, since it would still be great to use WASD or a Game Controller to play these).
2) As a result of 1, if I hit the X (cancel/menu) button I get focus on the UI at the bottom of the screen, but clicking items in that UI doesn't allow me to place them (and neither does Z/Space/Confirm keys). I have to cancel my cursor out of the UI in order to gain the ability to place things again.
3) Are you still looking into adding the option for a "Quick Shop"? I think it would fit perfectly as like an 11th square in the new on-screen UI.
4) What happens if you have more than 10 available Towers in your inventory? Will it allow showing more than 10 in the UI, or be scrollable? (I haven't downloaded the actual game file yet to play with it).

Reaction score
First Language
Indonesia
Primarily Uses
N/A
I really like the new UI. A few things from playing the demo (in browser):
1) It looks like you've made the UI only usable with Touch/Mouse, no longer keyboard. Was that intentional? ( I hope not, since it would still be great to use WASD or a Game Controller to play these).
2) As a result of 1, if I hit the X (cancel/menu) button I get focus on the UI at the bottom of the screen, but clicking items in that UI doesn't allow me to place them (and neither does Z/Space/Confirm keys). I have to cancel my cursor out of the UI in order to gain the ability to place things again.
3) Are you still looking into adding the option for a "Quick Shop"? I think it would fit perfectly as like an 11th square in the new on-screen UI.
4) What happens if you have more than 10 available Towers in your inventory? Will it allow showing more than 10 in the UI, or be scrollable? (I haven't downloaded the actual game file yet to play with it).

1 - Which one that can't be used with keyboard? I spend a lot of time to make compatible with keyboard, if there's any other bug with keyboard let me know!
2 - It's a bug! I forgot check something it's fixed now. but still haven't update the game
3 - I forgot about it! maybe I will make it later
4 - Yes you can, there will be small arrow like in rpg maker when the item is scrollable. Also you can edit how many slot you want display in plugin parameter

wrigty12

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
1 - Which one that can't be used with keyboard? I spend a lot of time to make compatible with keyboard, if there's any other bug with keyboard let me know!
2 - It's a bug! I forgot check something it's fixed now. but still haven't update the game
3 - I forgot about it! maybe I will make it later
4 - Yes you can, there will be small arrow like in rpg maker when the item is scrollable. Also you can edit how many slot you want display in plugin parameter
1) Ignore this... I was trying to use WASD because that's what I use in my own game project xD Arrow keys work fine.
2) Cool, glad it was an easy fix!
3) No rush, just didn't want it forgotten since you also thought it was a good idea!
4) Cool :D

estriole

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
indonesian
nice update... like the new UI... but maybe the text for the tower name could be changed to two lines if they are too long? somehow the text become too small...
"if possible" tooltip when hovering the tower UI would be awesome... (if using tooltip mode i think there's no need for the tower name above... because the tower name could be seen on the tooltip).

and like @wrigty12 above said... you can add more on screen UI for "quick tower shop" and maybe even another on screen UI to "start the wave" (instead of needing to go to that lever :D).

also somehow we cannot open the regular menu anymore because right mouse click is tied to the "cancel tower"... still hoping this tower defence can be added as minigame :D... which means tied to some switch to disable / enable the tower defense mode...

i also did not see the aura tower in the demo link (web browser) above >.<... maybe i missed it?

but this is a great job... hope this plugin can evolve more :D.

wrigty12

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Yeah, now that you mention the menu thing @estriole , I thought that Main Menu was just disabled via an event, but I can't seem to find that anywhere?

If I just make a brand new map in the demo and start the player there, right mouse click works fine HOWEVER, {Bug} I have to push the X/Cancel keyboard button Twice in order to open the Main Menu, instead of once..

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

I haven't make anything new yet, but I'm back addicted to writing some MZ plugins. Man, I wish I have more free time like I did 5 years ago.
Holy cow... work is demanding and I'm back in college. I'm kind of scared of my dad right now after the incident, but at least I don't live with him all the time. Anyway, working on Fandom Scouts and my FNAF character set. The FNAF sprites are actually going to be used in the game... unfortunately the enemy sprites are FNAF World traces, so no sharing those.
The honeymoon period is over with Cyberpunk 2077, It sadly doesnt live up to the hype, pretty graphics arent everything (especially when I cant even do something as simple as changing the radio station over!). Replaying Breath of the wild has reminded me what a good game really looks like, plus that one has good glitches!....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jldmadruk