KaYsEr

Koruldia
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hey Bblizzard, speaking of that console screenshot, I also get that red message about "Khas is not defined", it's probably because I don't have Khas lighting (and nobody should have it tbh, it's asking for troubles on the GPU side of things, going as far as crashing games on start), is it safe to delete that compatibility part in your code so hopefully that message would go away?

I see you've made a compatibility fix for the TERRAX lighting plugin, and the new "community lighting" plugin (some kind of "Terrax Remaster" project) initiated by @ImaginaryVillain is implementing that fix by default, but I had to disable it (revert) because despite the fix placing the lights at the right coordinates in the 3D space (instead of the shift we get, the further away our MC moves from them) I'm afraid it occasionally brings a visual glitch.

Looks like the "dark mask" (to then create the lights) is disappearing at some random Y coordinates of the map, it's easier to spot with a pixel movement plugin (so you can position your MC exactly where it happens), looks like some kind of weird "Z priority conflict" thing (not even sure it's the problem but it feels similar), the best way to see it is to put a red light at the bottom of a big map and then move near the top, if everything goes "right" you should see the screen flashing bright red at some point.

Deactivating your fix (the few lines of code to replace in TERRAX, or now the community plugin that you can find here: https://forums.rpgmakerweb.com/index.php?threads/community-lighting-mv-mz-experimental.124274/ if you want to give them a new fix) will get rid of that problem, but of course the misalignment of the lights will be back.

It's a "pick your poison" kind of situation but I guess the misalignment poison is preferable here, of course if we could have the right alignment without the glitch, that would be perfect. These people are doing a great job with the Terrax plugin by the way, cleaning the original code to help with performances. :)

bblizzard

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Croatian
Primarily Uses
RMMV
That error message shouldn't worry you. As long as the rest of the code properly executes, there's no danger in leaving that code. But if you really want, yes, it's safe to just delete it.

You can try to change the near-Z parameter. I think this might be what is causing the flash. But there is another possible cause. Are you using looped maps? IIRC Terrax was using the default code for light positioning so UM7 should override that. But if that isn't the case, then a variation of the fix I used for Grid-Free Doodads could do the trick (check Sprite_Doodad.prototype._makeLoopedScreenPosition).

Let's ask @ImaginaryVillain to take a look if he has time. If not, make a demo and I'll do it and @ImaginaryVillain can add that fix in the remaster natively then. :)

ImaginaryVillain

One With The Particle
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Absurdism
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I admit I don't have a lot of time (trying to race out a game demo). But that's the beauty of the Community Lights project, it's MIT licensed and anybody can add to it by submitting a pull request on the GitHub. Assuming the changes are good, it gets approved and that person's name gets added to the contributors list.

Or if you have a fix but don't want to do that, post it in the thread and one of the people who frequently updates it will add it for you. :LZSwink:

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Chinese
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hi bblizzard!
I spent two days looking through all the posts here, no matter how simple the questions are, you answer them one by one. You are a respectable creator!
I just want to thank you for sharing! Report some minor problems by the way.
If you change these two parameters to false, these lines will appear at certain angles, about 2-3 blocks away from the sprite, or if you use the Dragonbones plugin, these lines will also appear in the team, just like this
2.png
QQ截图20200903182836.png
QQ截图20200903171908.png
Especially when using the pixel mobile plug-in, it is easy to find
If the parameter is set to true, there will be no. (Of course, I like false)
I am not asking you to fix it, but when I was reading the post, I found that someone also had this problem. It was just a small problem to remind people behind. I also forgot whether the previous post already has a solution
This may not be good for people who use the default material. If you make the sprite material yourself, it should be fine not to put the pixels so close.
Hope you have a happy life!

bblizzard

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Croatian
Primarily Uses
RMMV
The issue is because of pixel interpolation when scaling. The pixels at the border of the sprite will interpolate with the neighboring frame's pixels. I've worked professionally in game development for almost 12 years and the only 2 solutions to this problem that I know are:

• creating a border of pixels around the frames (in your case transparent pixels)
  • rendering the frame as-is on a render target and then using that render target to actually display the scaled version so the border pixels will be repeated (VRAM costly, also GPU costly for the render, actually tiled images in MV do that)

This issue actually also happens on the tiles if you look closely. I think we actually did discuss this at some point in the topic, but I perfectly understand if you don't want to go through 46 pages of text just to come to this same conclusion. xD e.g. Here is a 3x4 forest auto-tile in XP format that's forced to use in my own game because of that problem:

trees.png

I'm using a 48x48 tile resolution, but I have 16 pixel border because of the potential scaling (they look very small in the distance) and because I actually use mipmapping.

I have custom Python scripts that prepare all the graphics that I need and they add that border wherever needed. IDK if you wanna do that manually of if you can find a tool that does it for you, but you adding borders if the most reliable solution. Welcome to 3D and non-pixel-perfect 2D graphics. ._.; It's a nightmare sometimes.

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Chinese
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Yes, I thought it should be solved by transparent pixels, but I did not experiment.
Need so many transparent pixels!
If I want to pursue perfection, I do have some clumsy tools that I need to use together.
To change them is too much work for me. This is not a specialized tool like yours!
So, I gave up this idea and changed to the true parameter. In fact, there is not much loss.
Thanks for your answer

SigmaSuccour

Dogmatic
Reaction score
First Language
Urdu, English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Is there any way to download the previous releases of this plugin? :rswt2:

My project is in MV 1.5.1 and the latest release doesn't work on it.
So I've been using v1.1.0 which I downloaded ages ago.

I recently started using the plugin in my project and plan to use it for a few maps.
Example:

But after using it for a while, I realized the horizontal parallax-bg scroll issue (for non-mod 7 maps) in this version. (Which I'd really like to fix for this project.)

I realize this issue was resolved in v1.2.3
So curious if I can get my hands on that specific version. And see if it works on MV 1.5.1 and fixes my issue.

bblizzard

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Croatian
Primarily Uses
RMMV
The oldest one I still have is v1.5.3 from about a year ago. :/

If you send me the files from the "js" folders except for the "plugins" sub-folder, I can take a look at it for you.

SigmaSuccour

Dogmatic
Reaction score
First Language
Urdu, English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
The oldest one I still have is v1.5.3 from about a year ago. :/

If you send me the files from the "js" folders except for the "plugins" sub-folder, I can take a look at it for you.
Oh wow, thank you so much. :ewat:
Here you go: (I imagine it should be fine sharing right here.)

Attachments

bblizzard

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Croatian
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Yeah, sharing here is fine. This is just default RMMV code after all.

EDIT: Hm, I can't reproduce the problem you're having. It works just fine in the demo with v1.5.1 base code. :/ But I did notice you put UM7 pretty high on the plugin list. Try moving it further below.

Last edited:

SigmaSuccour

Dogmatic
Reaction score
First Language
Urdu, English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Ah... I think I may have worded myself 'technically' wrong on the issue. :rswt2: I meant to say the 'horizontal looping' of the parallax BG, in non mode7 maps. (Not exactly 'scrolling' while moving with the camera.)
Here's a video showcasing the issue:

Is this the exact problem you tried to reproduce?
(And I did try moving UM7 up and down in priority, and disabling all the rest of the plugins. No difference.)

bblizzard

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Croatian
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Yup, works fine on my end. o_O https://gyazo.com/30d9007b6d31db5d64b30760ef6f1c18

If you can put together a demo with all the plugins you're using that reproduces the issue, I can look into it. I'm pretty sure some other plugin could be interfering. Though you might wanna send me that demo via PM rather than posting here (I obviously don't mind either way).

EDIT: Wait, you did update to v1.6.4, right? I don't see a lot of the newer options that were added. https://gyazo.com/441228566ae39dec0696b55c4ab59029
Once you replace the file in the plugins folder, you have to option the Plugins screen once for RMMV to update all the options and add the new ones. Maybe this is the issue you were having with the new version?

SigmaSuccour

Dogmatic
Reaction score
First Language
Urdu, English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
EDIT: Wait, you did update to v1.6.4, right? I don't see a lot of the newer options that were added. https://gyazo.com/441228566ae39dec0696b55c4ab59029
Once you replace the file in the plugins folder, you have to option the Plugins screen once for RMMV to update all the options and add the new ones. Maybe this is the issue you were having with the new version?
Ahhhh... this is embarrassing. :rtear:
I just did that and the latest version works now!

I initially worked with v1.1.0, later tried replacing the file with the newer version... saw it didn't work so assumed my MV 1.5.1 wasn't compatible.
The solution was simply that I had to open the plugin menu once for it to load up properly...:rswt

I'm deeply sorry for using up your time bblizzard, and I'm super grateful you were so patient and helped me through this.
Just... thank you so much!

Espilonarge

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
The solution was simply that I had to open the plugin menu once for it to load up properly...:rswt
Maybe @bblizzard should put that up as a disclaimer on the first post (if installing an "updated" plugin, always "open the Ultra Mode 7 plugin config and apply changes" and then "save your project" to avoid potential mishaps/issues), that way people don't run in to "similiar" issues that I had as well (you're not the first this has happened to @SigmaSuccour). ;)

On another note regarding background parallaxes, you could always try using a parallax/layer plugin like Galv's Layer Graphics plugin. I've been using their plugin because it allows for multiple layers with more refined control over how they move/appear (can be used for fog effects, water, even clouds to "hide" the horizon edge of the map). The only two issues with it is that it "resets" the layers on looped maps when you move past the edges of the map and because Galv didn't add a config function to select the "folder" you want to load the layer/parallax graphics from, you'll need to modify the plugin directly to redirect which folder the plugin accesses the images (if you're using v2.0, it should be located on line 225 under "LAYER GRAPHIC FOLDER").

bblizzard

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Croatian
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hm, I thought I added it in the notes. I'll add it in a few places to make sure people see it.

@SigmaSuccour No problem, it happens. :)

EDIT: Added it in both the compatibility notes and the FAQ section.

Last edited:

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Chinese
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hi bblizzard!
Is it possible to provide compatibility for OcRam-Lights plugin in the future?
His lighting combines a time system, an automatic weather system, and a parallax layer. Really convenient:LZSyum:

bblizzard

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Croatian
Primarily Uses
RMMV
If you make a demo with both plugins, I can take a look at it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

My only regret is the portal mirror effect is too subtle to show up in these GIFs. It probably just needs more sparkles. :LZSwink:
Microsoft: Hey, let's waste money advertising the Xbox Series X when nobody has any in stock, we don't seem to be making more, we aren't taking preorders and you can't get on a waiting list. BEST. IDEA. EVER.
So I'm practicing ITC with a spirit box, and decide to try to contact my deceased soulmate. It actually gave me multiple identifiers. Me, still a bit skeptical, asked aloud "Fine but does he still love me?" and the box spoke and printed the word "Forever" at the same time. Been a mess of tears since. :kaocry:
Been scratching away at my game and making progress, but just had a revelation. I'm working in full screen and adjusting all my pictures accordingly, but will they resize if someone's screen is smaller?? I hope this doesn't turn out to be a problem later.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
inkdrips