bblizzard

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Croatian
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@SigmaSuccour Alright, I took a look at it. In total you have 3 problems. I'll go from bottom to top.

1. Using 12000 pixel textures is really not something I'd recommend. While most modern graphics cards probably can handle it, as soon as you go down one tier (e.g. laptops), the game will likely break. And you can almost straight forget a lot of mobile devices. You should keep them at 4096 or lower to ensure maximum compatibility and minimum problems.

2. I suspect that the shaders can't handle a texture this size with nearest interpolation well due to lower precision floating point variables. I tried manually forcing "highp" everywhere in PIXI on float and sampler2D, but I couldn't get the flickering to stop. I also tried changing "roundPixels" to false, but this only changed slightly how everything flickered, it didn't actually fix the issue.

I'm 90% sure that fixing this part would fix the actual problem. I've had a similar issue with DirectX 12 some 4 or 5 years ago where it would simply default to "mediump" precision and I would get weird flickering in some rare cases. I was able to fix it with "highp", but that was much easier since I created the render system myself. With PIXI it's difficult to find all places where this would be needed. I did find all the places where sampler2D is used and added "highp" precision to the code, but it didn't fix it. So I assume there are more places where I need to add it. Or there is something just wrong with WebGL and this issue can't be fixed this easily.

3. You are using <charAnims> on your characters that overrides the standard "Walking" and "Stepping" options in the event menu. If you don't have idle animations, you probably shouldn't use this option. The main problem here happens because of the previous two issues connected to Galv's plugin running through all 20 of the same idle frames. I'm still quite positive the core problem is with the renderer and 12k pixel texture, but this plugin exposes the issue.

The worst thing that even if you turn off idle animations, you could still see this issue during walking animations. But at least it would be much harder to notice due to the sprites moving and changing substantially between frames (or at least if they change fast enough like they are right now).

You can still consider turning off pixelization completely as I previously suggested.

Conclusion:

Try not using <charAnims> and use the other options instead to avoid having idle animations. This should mitigate most of the problems you currently have, but it won't entirely fix it. You can probably avoid the rest being noticed by being careful with the graphics.

One alternative solution would be to use a different plugin for spritesheets and possibly splits spritesheets into multiple files. You might need something custom if you want to stay at max size 4096 or below.

EDIT:

Just a small tip: I noticed that character sprites don't rotate properly when CHARACTERS_ADJUST_SPRITE_DIRECTION is turned on and a non-zero yaw angle is used. This is due to some compatibility issues with the other plugins. Everything works fine if you turn that option off. Some other plugin seems to be handling that code already.

@ephesus I added the roll feature. There are always some limitations depending on the order of applying the angles so I picked the one that is the least problematic.

Last edited:

SigmaSuccour

Dogmatic
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Urdu, English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@bblizzard This is awesome! Thank you for isolating the issue so much and for the suggestions. I can see more ways to work around this issue now.
And thank you so much for making it compatible with San_AnalogMove.js :LZSooo: (Just tried it. Works great.)

And also, love the roll feature! :LZSevil: (I think I can do some evil things with it.)

Last edited:

dearmona

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hello! I was doing some tests with this plugin and came across some problems. I'm going for a very simple pixel art style for the characters and noticed that the pixels change sizes (when my actor gets some distance away from them? I'm not too sure). Maybe the screenshot/video clip will be more clear. Is there a way to keep the pixels uniform?
He's not looking too great...
pixels.png

My second issue is I find that straight floor tiles like the one in the video below can be very distracting when using your plugin. It "flickers?" Is there a way to fix that?

Awesome plugin btw!

bblizzard

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Croatian
Primarily Uses
RMMV
You should probably turn off the pixelated options for both characters and tiles.
Unless you are going to run the game at a much higher resolution than native pixels, you'll have issues because using 3D messes pixel-perfect graphics when they are scaled up/down. In other words: if you ran the game at e.g. 2x or 3x the resolution, but with the same graphics, you should experience a lot less of both problems.

dearmona

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Turning off the pixelated options won't work for what I want visually, but I'll give the higher resolutions a try. Thank you for the suggestions!

ephesus

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
Last edited:

ephesus

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
Hello! I was doing some tests with this plugin and came across some problems. I'm going for a very simple pixel art style for the characters and noticed that the pixels change sizes (when my actor gets some distance away from them? I'm not too sure). Maybe the screenshot/video clip will be more clear. Is there a way to keep the pixels uniform?
He's not looking too great...
View attachment 197273

My second issue is I find that straight floor tiles like the one in the video below can be very distracting when using your plugin. It "flickers?" Is there a way to fix that?

Awesome plugin btw!
I've been having the same issues trying to get the look I've got in my head. here's the thing, you can't scale pixel art cleanly unless you hand drew the actual scaling. Too complex without a specific algorithm that knew what "clean pixels" means. In your pic above, if it chose to keep full size pixels it wouldn't know where to put them to look good.

If you haven't gotten the look you wanted yet, basically do what Blizzard said, Go high resolution BUT keep pixilation on for both sprites and textures and then push the pixel art focus in your assets themselves. Either by scaling them way up when put into the game or by doubling up your pixels in creation. probably both. You can do this with your tiles as well. high resolution low definition.

I use 1280x640. If you double up your pixels or scale things up by 2 and keep everything sharp you'll have the pseudo look of 640x320 EXCEPT for the scaling being higher def and it should look great for what you're trying to do (I think). Setting BASE_SCALE_Z in UM7's parameters to 633 will get your doodads and sprites to match the floor tiles near perfect. (You can input 633.3 or .34 or whatever but I don't know if it makes any difference)

Lots of people get issues of blurriness or fuzziness when scaling up. Even when set to pixelate. It's an RPG Maker issue not UltraMode7's. Here's a couple plugins that can help if that happens to you:

Ultra light plugin by Unpropro:
RPG Maker MV Plugin - Sharper Rendering
Direct Link

Insanely deep windowed and fullscreen, resolution and inrepolation and more plugin by Smrndmdude
http://sumrndm.site/game-upgrade/
for some reason his description page doesn's go into detail about the plugin parameters which you can alter tons of resolution settings.

This is good too:
Plugging MV #31 Remove FullScreen Blur | Pixelated Upscaling & Anti-Aliasing for RPG Maker MV Games

OH! and if you're going to be doing a big project using UltraMode7 and Yanfly's GF Doodads then you should really check this plugin out:
Knight Editor: Visual Doodad Editing

Last edited:

bblizzard

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Croatian
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I'll update the compatibility as soon as I can.

Setting BASE_SCALE_Z in UM7's parameters to 633 will get your doodads and sprites to match the floor tiles near perfect. (You can input 633.3 or .34 or whatever but I don't know if it makes any difference)

You can go as far as 633.333333333334 for max precision. (JS uses double float precision values for all numbers and double floats store 15 digits of decimal data.)

dearmona

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I've been having the same issues trying to get the look I've got in my head. here's the thing, you can't scale pixel art cleanly unless you hand drew the actual scaling. Too complex without a specific algorithm that knew what "clean pixels" means. In your pic above, if it chose to keep full size pixels it wouldn't know where to put them to look good.

If you haven't gotten the look you wanted yet, basically do what Blizzard said, Go high resolution BUT keep pixilation on for both sprites and textures and then push the pixel art focus in your assets themselves. Either by scaling them way up when put into the game or by doubling up your pixels in creation. probably both. You can do this with your tiles as well. high resolution low definition.

I use 1280x640. If you double up your pixels or scale things up by 2 and keep everything sharp you'll have the pseudo look of 640x320 EXCEPT for the scaling being higher def and it should look great for what you're trying to do (I think). Setting BASE_SCALE_Z in UM7's parameters to 633 will get your doodads and sprites to match the floor tiles near perfect. (You can input 633.3 or .34 or whatever but I don't know if it makes any difference)

Lots of people get issues of blurriness or fuzziness when scaling up. Even when set to pixelate. It's an RPG Maker issue not UltraMode7's. Here's a couple plugins that can help if that happens to you:

Ultra light plugin by Unpropro:
RPG Maker MV Plugin - Sharper Rendering
Direct Link

Insanely deep windowed and fullscreen, resolution and inrepolation and more plugin by Smrndmdude
http://sumrndm.site/game-upgrade/
for some reason his description page doesn's go into detail about the plugin parameters which you can alter tons of resolution settings.

This is good too:
Plugging MV #31 Remove FullScreen Blur | Pixelated Upscaling & Anti-Aliasing for RPG Maker MV Games

OH! and if you're going to be doing a big project using UltraMode7 and Yanfly's GF Doodads then you should really check this plugin out:
Knight Editor: Visual Doodad Editing

I tried Blizzard's advice and then tried again after reading your post (thank you btw!). I doubled the sprite size in aseprite and then plopped it in the game. At 550 default camera distance, I don't see much improvement. It helps a little when I make the default camera distance closer, but it enlarges everything else to a size I don't think will work for me- everything is a bit too zoomed in. Buildings especially become huge and take up too much space. Maybe I'm doing something wrong?
ultramode.png
At 400 camera distance with doubled sprite sizes. It looks better? But problem stated above.
Blurriness isn't an issue for me when pixelation is on. I'm definitely going to give that doodad editor a try though.

bblizzard

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Croatian
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I meant increasing the render resolution while keeping the "virtual resolution" of the game the same. Not sure how to explain this. xD

dearmona

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I meant increasing the render resolution while keeping the "virtual resolution" of the game the same. Not sure how to explain this. xD
I'm sorry my one brain cell doesn't follow. Is there a way to increase that render resolution? xD;;;; That's not the screen resolution right?

bblizzard

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Croatian
Primarily Uses
RMMV
It's about having a bigger screen resolution while the entire game stays the same visually. xD I can't remember right now if increasing the resolution in the game keeps the game visually the same or whether there's a bunch more space that needs to be filled.

dearmona

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Whoops overcomplicated things xD; So yeah I did try sizing up the screen resolution, but for some reason not 2x or 3x like you suggested. I tried 2208x1248 this time (2x the settings I had: 1104x624). From what I've seen it definitely helps with the problems, but the game now exists in a big black void (big black border fills the screen even if you fullscreen). Sized up the resolution 3x (and other resolutions in-between) to fix that to fill up the screen more, and ended up with jiggling sprites whenever I move diagonally (can be fixed if I turn off my Altimit movement plugin). Also messes with a list of things and other plugins so I might just revert back to my original settings. ultramoderes.png
The void I was talking about ^

By "buildings," I meant building sprites. The house I drew and evented covered much of the screen.

bblizzard

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Croatian
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@ephesus Could you make me 2 demos with those 2 plugins? I was going to make a compatibility layer for Community Lighting at some point, but I realized that they changed some substantial things so it wasn't just a little bit of work that was involved. I assume something similar for Exhydra/Ossra Basic Shadows.

tiabuni

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Banana
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@SigmaSuccour Do you think the back and forth effect you did with the Ultra Mode 7 plugin, shown in this video, could be used to create that kind of dramatic attack animations found in Darkest Dungeon? Below is an example of what I am talking about, timestamped:

TheGameAfter

I'm here to help and to learn!
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Hebrew
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hey, quick question: Are there is a command/script I should use to change the 'speed of the camera using ultra mode 7? or that's only be possible with combine it with another camera plugin (like GALV and SRD camera plugins)?

bblizzard

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Croatian
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@TheGameAfter What exactly do you mean with "speed up"? The camera uses the default movement code and tracks the player's movement. If you mean any camera position / parameter transitions, you can specify how fast you want those to happen.

TheGameAfter

I'm here to help and to learn!
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Hebrew
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@TheGameAfter What exactly do you mean with "speed up"? The camera uses the default movement code and tracks the player's movement. If you mean any camera position / parameter transitions, you can specify how fast you want those to happen.
Yep, I think I figured that out now. I was looking at the wrong things, Thank you for the response.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Something might be coming...
Hallo.png
2021 has been the runner-up for the worst year of my life. 2015 may take that title, but '21 is pushing it. Excuses really don't justify how much of a jerk I've been this year to a lot of people.

I'm sorry. I don't intend to be a jerk forever, but I'd rather back up my intent with actions, not words.
"Another hundred habaneros... a teaspoon of tumeric... and a heaping helping of nitroglycerin!" The kitten in a chef's hat laughed maniacally as the pot he was stirring promptly exploded.
Woot got a promotion and a pay rise ᕙ( • ‿ • )ᕗ now I'm set.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
redhumanbox