Frostorm

[]D[][]V[][]D aka "Staf00"
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
So I have this mechanic involving elemental magic. They're called "motes", which are traces of lingering magic left upon casting a spell. For example, if you cast Fireball, you'll gain 1 Mote of Fire. Likewise, if you cast Lightning Bolt, you'll gain 1 Mote of Lightning. Each type of Mote can be stacked up to 3 times and they can be used in 2 ways:
  • Attune Elements
    • Consumes all current Motes to gain a buff.
    • The buff varies in effect and intensity depending on the element(s) and stacks.
    • These buffs are defensive in nature. For example...
    • A Mote of Fire buff increases Fire resistance by 10%/20%/30% and deals Fire damage when struck.
      • Damage increases w/ more stacks, just like how resistance does.
  • Imbue Elements
    • Consumes all current Motes to grant your weapon additional effects
    • The imbuement varies in effect and intensity depending on the element(s) and stacks.
    • These effects are offensive in nature. For example...
    • A Mote of Ice imbue grants your attacks additional Frost damage and applies Chill.
      • Damage and duration of the Chill effect increase w/ more stacks.
Oh, and if you have multiple/different elemental motes, then all are consumed and you gain the appropriate effects (you gain more than 1 buff at a time in such a case). These 2 skills would be "Bonus Actions" as well, meaning they don't consume a turn.

Ok, now for the question mentioned in the thread's title. I basically have 4 commands I want to include:
  • Attack (normal attack)
  • Attune Elements
  • Imbue Elements
  • Guard
I'm looking for a categorical term that can encompass these 4 commands or in short, an umbrella term. I'm also toying w/ the idea of combining "Guard" w/ the function/effect of "Attune Elements" into a single skill (if it helps coming up w/ a term easier). On second thought, probably not a good idea lol.:kaothx:

Edit: I was thinking of something like "General" or "Basic" or "Fight" but none of these feel quite right...

Last edited:

Dopan

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
(umbrella command)"Execute"
=>
  • Basic Attack
  • Attune Elements
  • Imbue Elements
  • Guard
Edit

or "Use" ,or "Perform"
( i preffer Execute, ..because if you want do adress every Gamer, no matter what main language he/she uses.. it would be better to use easy understandable words )

Last edited:

Frostorm

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Dopan Nice! Thank you for the idea, I love the sound of Execute lol.

Oh crap, wait...I already have a skill named "Execute" which deals greater damage the less HP the target has...sigh...

I guess I can't use Execute...:kaosigh:
Damn, I really liked the sound of it too!
Hmm, Perform? Or maybe Engage? Or Basic perhaps?

Dopan

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Dopan Nice! Thank you for the idea, I love the sound of Execute lol.

Oh crap, wait...I already have a skill named "Execute" which deals greater damage the less HP the target has...sigh...

I guess I can't use Execute...:kaosigh:
Damn, I really liked the sound of it too!
Hmm, Perform? Or maybe Engage? Or Basic perhaps?
.I already have a skill named "Execute"
Rename that Skill & use Engage for that skill instead..
Engage
is what Units do when the defense is down..(like comming closer)
(or use "Execution of the Weak"or"Deadly Engament" if its a skill that should do a "finish him"-known from mortal combat)

Execute can be a very neutral word
( better for the "umbrella"-usage)

Perform would be better for special skills, that can not always be used
(when we talk about "perform" or a "performance" we allways think of an Athelic or Artist who does something special)

Last edited:

Frostorm

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Ok, I got another question for terminology. Which way should I write these spell names?

Air's Alacrity - Increases Dexterity & Speed for 4 turns.
Water's Wisdom - Increases Intellect & Willpower for 4 turns.

Alacrity of Air - Increases Dexterity & Speed for 4 turns.
Wisdom of Water - Increases Intellect & Willpower for 4 turns.

Dopan

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Ok, I got another question for terminology. Which way should I write these spell names?

Air's Alacrity - Increases Dexterity & Speed for 4 turns.
Water's Wisdom - Increases Intellect & Willpower for 4 turns.

Alacrity of Air - Increases Dexterity & Speed for 4 turns.
Wisdom of Water - Increases Intellect & Willpower for 4 turns.
Tailwind - Increases Dexterity & Speed for 4 turns.
(in German thats what we say,if you can be faster and beeing supported from air)

Will of Water - Increases Intellect & Willpower for 4 turns.
(because of the willpower)
sorry im not good in picking multiply choice^^

Last edited:

Frostorm

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I already have a spell named Tailwind which hastens the turn order of the target lol. The Aeromancy (Air magic) discipline is all about Speed & movement. :p

Celestrium

Worldsmith
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
@Frostorm The way I am reading the abilities you mentioned, they aren't really basic, but more like enhanced or amplified? Do they always require the elemental motes to work, if so I would go more this route of thinking for the terminology, if I understand correctly. (Or make the terminology change when it is elementally enhanced). Wouldn't there be chances for multiple elemental mote effects simultaneously this way though? If not, the terminology could change to reflect what element the ability was going to imbue and also font color by element it would take. That would be complex though.

I always like to use the word "of" to make things sound prestigious, but that breaks the alliteration somewhat. It depends on the feel you want for the ability. I think the uniformity is the only true need for those skills.

Frostorm

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Nah none of the spells require the motes to work. They are just icing on the cake you can invoke. One is for offense (Imbue) and the other defense (Attune). Tho I think I'll just merge "Guard" w/ Attune Elements, and it'll be a Bonus Action as well. And yes, you can have multiple different motes at the same time. This whole mote thingy I came up last night cuz I wanted to make Guard more useful. And yea, I guess they're not that basic...was thinking of Attack & Guard lol.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

When you thought you'd be finished with the grid, and spend ~8-9 hours on an arrow. How is this more difficult to than player movement?

Still some bugs hiding in there, but it's nearly complete.

I'm having it strictly follow the path a user draws, because there will be booby trap and other similar mechanics where you want to avoid specific cells.
I feel like banging my head against a wall every time I want to find that post that shows all the plugin header codes. Then I think "next time I find it, I'm going to bookmark it". Then I think "wait a minute ... maybe I bookmarked it last time because it took me so long to find it". Check bookmarks, and there it is :)
... a few of my main characters standing around doing nothing lol. I mostly wanted to see them together on screen.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lucimountfort