Berylstone

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
My Game crashed while trying to save. Then when I went to open my project I got this error. I'm guessing it got corrupted? I don't know.

I do have a back up, but I will lose out on many hours of work. Does anyone know of a way to fix this?

Conditional Branch_Forum Help.png

ATT_Turan

Forewarner of the Black Wind
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
If it crashed while saving, it sounds like you have an incomplete CommonEvents file. Unless you're familiar enough with the JSON format that you can read it, compare it to your backup file, and splice in the rest of the data, the easiest thing would be to simply copy in your backup file.

You spent several hours of work specifically on common events? There's no need to copy your entire backup for one file.

Berylstone

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
If it crashed while saving, it sounds like you have an incomplete CommonEvents file. Unless you're familiar enough with the JSON format that you can read it, compare it to your backup file, and splice in the rest of the data, the easiest thing would be to simply copy in your backup file.

You spent several hours of work specifically on common events? There's no need to copy your entire backup for one file.

I'm not sure what you mean by there is no need to copy your entire back up for one file. And for some reason the CommonEvent file is completely blank. I have no clue what happened.

I replaced the CommonEvent file from my BackUP, and it's working now. I still lost quite a bit of work, but not nearly as much. So at least that's an improvement. This is safe to do, and isn't going to cause me any issues moving forward?

ATT_Turan

Forewarner of the Black Wind
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I'm not sure what you mean by there is no need to copy your entire back up for one file.
I mean there's no need to go back to your saved project and lose however many hours of work. Just restore the one file, and presumably you did not spend all of those hours just crafting common events.

This is safe to do, and isn't going to cause me any issues moving forward?
It's "safe" in that it can't, like, harm your entire project in some way. You'll need to be careful about any changed references.

In common events that's less likely, maybe you display an image or animation that you changed the filename of. Where it could get hairy is if you had to do something with your maps or you had just changed all of the images for every actor and enemy in your database and had to restore that file.

But the bright side is if you do get an error pop up, you pretty much know where specifically to look.

Berylstone

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I mean there's no need to go back to your saved project and lose however many hours of work. Just restore the one file, and presumably you did not spend all of those hours just crafting common events.

It's "safe" in that it can't, like, harm your entire project in some way. You'll need to be careful about any changed references.

In common events that's less likely, maybe you display an image or animation that you changed the filename of. Where it could get hairy is if you had to do something with your maps or you had just changed all of the images for every actor and enemy in your database and had to restore that file.

But the bright side is if you do get an error pop up, you pretty much know where specifically to look.

Ok thanks. I don't see any errors popping up yet, so I think I'm good. But I'll keep my last backup project safe just in case.

As far as Common Events, I probably dumped about 12 or so hours into them last few days, so it sucks no doubt. But at least I was able to salvage all my regular event work and all of my image edits. A couple of the animations I worked on I really did not want to have to redo also - so that's a huge plus that I was able to save those. I'm just glad I had made a BackUp after I did my two massive Meld common events. Those two alone took me an ungodly number of hours to write.

If I had lost those, it would have been a real struggle for me to keep going. Now that I think about it, it's those two common events in particular that seem to be a strain on the program, and it always seems to be when I am messing around with those that the program crashes. So I'm going to just make a BackUp for now on before I ever mess with those again. I learned my lesson. Plus it's daily BackUps for now on.

Trihan

Speedy Scripter
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Ok thanks. I don't see any errors popping up yet, so I think I'm good. But I'll keep my last backup project safe just in case.

As far as Common Events, I probably dumped about 12 or so hours into them last few days, so it sucks no doubt. But at least I was able to salvage all my regular event work and all of my image edits. A couple of the animations I worked on I really did not want to have to redo also - so that's a huge plus that I was able to save those. I'm just glad I had made a BackUp after I did my two massive Meld common events. Those two alone took me an ungodly number of hours to write.

If I had lost those, it would have been a real struggle for me to keep going. Now that I think about it, it's those two common events in particular that seem to be a strain on the program, and it always seems to be when I am messing around with those that the program crashes. So I'm going to just make a BackUp for now on before I ever mess with those again. I learned my lesson. Plus it's daily BackUps for now on.
I highly recommend that you do backups on more frequent intervals than 12 hours.

Berylstone

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I highly recommend that you do backups on more frequent intervals than 12 hours.

Yeah, that's good advice. I learned my lesson, the hard way. So I'll be backing my stuff a lot more frequently now. I got complacent and it cost me.

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

working on an A/V sync system for my game! was NOT expecting the first roadblock to be accessing a variable from a public class!! Computers are so finicky sometimes :kaosigh:
For the first real time since my game's inception I found myself actually having fun playing around with my party's skills while testing out some battles! So much so, that I actually forgot what I was doing for a minute and had to force myself to move on to the next thing! :guffaw:

That's got to be a good sign considering it only has place holder animations, enemy skills, troop comps, etc. right now. Feels good!
Bex
Finally upgraded to RMMZ.
ScreenShot_11_28_2022_7_52_34.png
FINALLY, I figured out how to get the "tail" to appear IN the window and not directly below it lol. now it looks like it's part of the window and not hanging from the bottom of it.
Twitch! Stream is about to go live with some Dark Souls 2! Feel free to drop by!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hahah520