Unable to read file...What I am gonna do?!

gabrieldiastche

Gabriel Dias
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
RMMV
1598818495949.png

Hello everyone, someone got that problem?
I can't open my project, please someone could help me?!

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
We need a bit more information.
What were you doing immediately before this happened?

Kupotepo

Fantasy realist/Advocatus Diaboli
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Thai
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Ahm, what is happening to file extension? I see it is missing.

gabrieldiastche

Gabriel Dias
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
RMMV
We need a bit more information.
What were you doing immediately before this happened?

So, I was working on my game last night and I closed him and turned off my computer.
When I woke up I decided to work on him and then I opened up and this happened :/

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Basically that message means that one or more files have been damaged.

On one side, the only thing you can do is replace them from the last backup or (if there is none) with files from a new project (that will lose you part of your work).

On the other side, you need to find out why the files were damaged, because only then you can prevent a repeat at a later time. That cause could be a power failure, it could be a cloudsync in the wrong moment (never have your projectfolder autosync in any clouddrive) or a number of other things.

By the way - the project file contains no data and you can replace it from a new project without losing anything. Only if you get other files damaged in addition to that you'll have lostwhat you worked on after your last backup.

gabrieldiastche

Gabriel Dias
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Basically that message means that one or more files have been damaged.

On one side, the only thing you can do is replace them from the last backup or (if there is none) with files from a new project (that will lose you part of your work).

On the other side, you need to find out why the files were damaged, because only then you can prevent a repeat at a later time. That cause could be a power failure, it could be a cloudsync in the wrong moment (never have your projectfolder autosync in any clouddrive) or a number of other things.

By the way - the project file contains no data and you can replace it from a new project without losing anything. Only if you get other files damaged in addition to that you'll have lostwhat you worked on after your last backup.

So, I don't have a backup... (Felling so dumb right now...)

I did a new project and then I changed the files, one by one, basically everything from my Database and plugins where destroyed, but that is OK because I was changing everything so I am not feeling desperate. But that is a huge lesson for me...

Other thing I need to know now is... there is a way of recovering my maps? Because only the first map appears here... Here is a screenshot of my project now, but it doesn't read the other maps...1598820643504.png1598820673704.png

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
yes, but it's a multistep process.

go back to the new project (NOT the damaged project) and make new maps inside it until the number is the same as the maps of your damaged project. It doesn't matter that those are empty maps.
After you are at the correct map number, you copy the mapinfos-file into your damaged project - nothing else. That will tell the editor that there are x mapfiles and have them ready to load.

the maptree structure will be lost, and any references from the map to database (like what items are in chests) will also have to be rechecked, but the maps themselves should be available again.
However there is a chance that the active mapfile was also damaged - but all other maps should be save

gabrieldiastche

Gabriel Dias
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Andar @Kupotepo @Kes I think it's "solved", but I wished I could recover my commom events and other things, but I saw that it's too corrupted... Well, that's life, right?!

Thank you so much for the help guys...
I am happy that we have a great community of RPG Maker, because I was so pissed like 1 hour ago...

Thank you so much again! :D

EDIT: @Andar I tested everything now and It worked, the maps aren't lost, thank you so so much!

Last edited:

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

AeroPergold wrote on LUKElcs's profile.
Its-a me, Pergold from Gamejolt!
I added footstep sounds to our content that I posted in a previous thread. I was unable to edit the post, so if you're interested, see below.

DOWNLOAD LINK

I've started working on rpg maker again, and I can see a lot of improvement from when I was 13. I still have a long way to go, but I'm proud that I've gotten this far.
Animated Title screen is by SharkerrBlue(SB)
I am using the Nightmare Land pack.
I just can't walk to the store for lunch without walking past people smoking. It not only smells bad, it's probably poisoning me. I'm afraid I'll eventually have to be hospitalized. I can't take another path because there's too much traffic and drivers in the plaza are reckless sometimes. I almost got run over once, even after looking both ways.
RyanYe wrote on whtdragon's profile.
Your art works about Wyrvens and Dragons are sooooooooo cooooooooool~! I like them so bad
Can you create more? like Archangels, Devils, Titans, Cyclops!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GoUrbex