Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hey, kids. So I've put about two hundred hours into a game so far, and every so often I back up my files onto Google Drive in case my computer fails me. Turns out it was RPG Maker that ended up failing me. I was working on my game last night, shut my computer off to go to sleep, woke up the next morning, and RPG Maker had decided it was going to randomly uninstall itself. I went and re-installed it, a little perplexed but not too panicky, and then tried to open my game file. This is what popped up.
1620931035717.png
I've been desperately searching through threads ever since, trying to figure out how in the world this file got so badly messed up in a single night, and nothing's working. I tried opening a new project and copying the files over, but it either starts as a brand-new project or does the same pop-up you see above. The last backup I have is from about a month ago and I am ready to kill someone if I can't get this file back. It figures the night I think "Oh, it'll be fine" is the night everything dies on me.

Is there anything anyone's done RECENTLY that can fix this nightmare? All the threads I'm finding are from 2018 and earlier, and the fact that RPG Maker updated and then my file failed is very suspicious. Please help me; I'm losing my mind over here. Thank you so much in advance. Any suggestion will be a good suggestion at this point.

mlogan

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV

I've moved this thread to MV Support. Please be sure to post your threads in the correct forum next time. Thank you.

ATT_Turan

Forewarner of the Black Wind
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I suspect you're looking in the wrong place - a piece of software can't "decide to uninstall itself" from your computer. If RPG Maker disappeared from your hard drive overnight, something else is profoundly wrong with your computer.

That problem could be anything from a failing drive (which could also have corrupted the files in your project) to a virus (which could have messed with any files), but you need to be investigating the base cause of how RPG Maker went screwy.

Until then, you can do anything you want (suggestions would be to try opening your older backups, see if they work - which would indicate corruption in your new project; or make a new project, and just copy the Game.rpgproject file, which is literally what the screenshot says the error is...that's not some kind of difficult message to figure out >_> ), but it's liable to just happen again or get worse.

Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I suspect you're looking in the wrong place - a piece of software can't "decide to uninstall itself" from your computer. If RPG Maker disappeared from your hard drive overnight, something else is profoundly wrong with your computer.

That problem could be anything from a failing drive (which could also have corrupted the files in your project) to a virus (which could have messed with any files), but you need to be investigating the base cause of how RPG Maker went screwy.

Until then, you can do anything you want (suggestions would be to try opening your older backups, see if they work - which would indicate corruption in your new project; or make a new project, and just copy the Game.rpgproject file, which is literally what the screenshot says the error is...that's not some kind of difficult message to figure out >_> ), but it's liable to just happen again or get worse.
Thank you so much for your response. I'm definitely concerned something's going on with my computer because I've never experienced an application uninstalling on itself before! I'll look into possible alternative causes and try to open my backup files up because I know my other little games opened just fine! Lots to think about.

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
the problem comes from the way how the RPG-Makers handle their files. They use the same "always open" approach like a database (for example MS Access or Filemaker), not regular file access.

as a result the files can be damages if the program is force-closed without handling its files, or if something tries a cloudsync while the editor is running, or if the harddrive is near the end-of-life and a few other possible causes.

you can now only restore the damaged files from a backup, hoping that not much is lost (the project file contains no data but unfortunately often additional files are damaged).
And then you'll have to look for the cause to prevent a repeat.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Make a Game in RMMZ Streams are going to remain in hiatus this week. Too much to do! 4 things will be announced on Monday though! Look forward to that.
Typed a long-ish reply to a post... forgot to actually HIT the post button, and moved to a different page.... finally noticed, don't remember what all I had typed and don't feel like trying to re-type it all.... smh....
Their tactics are evolving. They've learned to call for help when cornered. Never trust a mammal!
Good morning all. I still have a post up on video editing for cinematic trailers. Please make sure to check that out and give me a message as its still active in offers.
Hey everyone! I'm back :D

Snow White? More like Snowhere to be seen amiright? Hahaha I'm so sorry!! :kaocry:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Anselmo00