unalloyed joy & good cheer from the most hateful, pessimistic b-word ever

Discussion in 'Introductions/Farewells' started by CrowStorm, Feb 24, 2019.

1. CrowStorm

CrowStorm Check my résumé, your residence is residue Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Hi. I'm still pretty new here. I keep trying to remind myself to post here instead of always on RMN because there are at least like fifty times as many users here, but I keep reverting to old habits. If you knew me better or at all IRL you'd know I have a horrifically bleak outlook on everything. I'm not the kind of person that says 'yay' unironically. Well, YAY!

BTW, this seemed like the best forum for this but it's not a question or an opinion, just an unadulterated human moment of "hurrah" I wanted to share.
    • If you've been paid to draw or write music for RPG Maker, you will most likely have no idea what I'm talking about.
    • If you've never WANTED the validation--or more importantly, the money--of making money off of your RM hobby in the first place, likewise this will be be meaningless to you. But for everyone else here goes:
    I have been making RPG Maker games on PC on-and-off (mostly OFF) since 2001. Games I released in college under another name than this one received tens of thousands of downloads, one was translated into two or three other languages by volunteers, another was nominated for a Misao, I have received buckets of fan art and free game assets from fan/creators for those games back in the day, including free graphics and music from two guys who each went on to become a very big deal in this scene (in two very different ways). I have read things in reviews of my games that have left me legitimately moved to tears.

And don't get me wrong, that's really lovely and all...

But show me the money.

I myself have bought at least three RPG Maker Engines, one of them accidentally twice, nearly all of the graphics supplements available for VX Ace (a large majority), and have just started and feel increasingly comfortable with the idea of spending money to commission high-end art for my games. Even the non-commercial ones.

Over 18 years, the last 8 of them with at least vague aspirations of "one-day" monetization, I had made $0.00 U.S. Dollars from my mastery of RPG Maker. Zip. Zilch. Nada.

Until just now. A cool-and-just-got-cooler indie developer--that I'm sure hangs around here and thus I won't name without his advance permission--is going to pay me a modest but in my opinion fair amount up front as well as a reasonably generous royalty share on the back-end to work on his RPG Maker MV game. For the first time ever I will be getting paid real actual cash money to work on RPG Maker (database, battle/exploration mechanics). I will be able to tell strangers WITHOUT lying that I have worked professionally in indie video game dev.

I feel more or less...pretty much...over the moon.

atoms likes this.
  2. rue669

rue669 Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Congrats on the gig. Not sure if this is the right spot for this forum, but I don’t think you’re alone in your feeling this way. I certainly have and I think most people with endeavours that are more creative feel at least once in their lifetime.

Glad to see an rpg maker from the good old days too. Gaming ground zero anyway?

All the best on working on the game.

atoms likes this.
  3. Golden Unicorn Gaming

Golden Unicorn Gaming Savior of Astoria Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Congrats and keep us updated on the project!

4. FluffexStudios

FluffexStudios Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    That great to hear and congrats to you!

5. Shaz

Shaz Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Glad you're getting a bit of an up-front payment. There are a lot of people who'd be willing to pay others on a royalty basis, but the thing is - they've got to complete and sell their game for that to happen.

And yes, you'll get plenty of downloads if your game is free, but that'll cut right back if you ask for money. My first game (non-RPG) was free and had thousands of downloads and was featured on a number of foreign language sites. I had a donation button on the download page. One person made a donation, and that person was a friend on a forum I hung out on when I was developing it. Maybe it was a pity donation :D

atoms likes this.
  6. Kes

Kes Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA

I've moved this thread to Introductions/Farewells/move]. Please be sure to post your threads in the correct forum next time. Thank you.

7. samkfj

samkfj Bug Powder Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Yup, it's a great feeling to be getting paid to work on games. I know what you're feeling--but don't stay up in the clouds too long, there's work to be done :)