Frederickius

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Hi! I'm extremely new to RPG maker, currently I am using VX Ace. I ran into a little trouble while working out the resolution and screen size for a new game I'm planning. I found scripts that let me adjust the resolution and window size to my preference, but the pixels end up blurry whenever the window resizes. Is there a script to fix this and make the graphics crisp instead of blurry? Thanks!

Xenphir

Nature's Friend
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Try make the screen sizes divisible by 32 pixels I would think.

Shaz

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
As long as you're enlarging the window and the sprites, they're going to be blurry. These are png files and when you enlarge them it has to figure out how to fill in the extra space. Crisp graphics at any size would require vector images, and that's not what RPG Maker uses.

Frederickius

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
As long as you're enlarging the window and the sprites, they're going to be blurry. These are png files and when you enlarge them it has to figure out how to fill in the extra space. Crisp graphics at any size would require vector images, and that's not what RPG Maker uses.

Is there a way to make the extra space sharper by default? I was looking around on other threads and I heard somebody talking about using a plugin that used neighboring pixels to determine sharp edges in terms of color, but I couldn't find it. If not, then thank you anyway!

bgillisp

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Even with such a system which uses neighboring pixels, there will still be blur. All you can do is minimize it, and the way to do that is make sure the resolution of the monitor / the resolution of the engine is a whole number. Anything else will result in more blur due to needing to guess at what goes in a half or partial pixel.

This is honestly true of any game too. You take an old 80's game and resize it you will probably get blur too unless you have just the right resolution. This is also why many games make all of their assets for different resolutions, to try to minimize that, but due to how images work, preventing blur is impossible unless you can create a new mathematical algorithm which has not been discovered yet.

Engr. Adiktuzmiko

Chemical Engineer, Game Developer, Using BlinkBoy'
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Tagalog
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
As long as you are resizing the lower sized images, you'd end up with some blurs here and there.

Anyway, upon changing screen size, the only ones who should end up blurring are the menu windowskins if they are set to stretch to the window. Most stuff in Ace doesnt stretch to screen size (especially characters and tilesets) but instead just keep their original size.

Can you show us a screenshot of this, and links to whatever scripts you are using to modify the resolution and screen size?

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

HexMozart88 wrote on RHachicho's profile.
Hey wait a minute, I remember you!
Granny.gif
Nap! Knit! Read! Repeat!
Granny's got a busy life now :3
Бас Лого.png
Reflections on the topic of choosing the path of the main character )
Now I want to change back to a Class system again xD Around and around we go!
Progress on the title graphic:
titledemo3.png
titledemo2.png
I'm still looking at the best way to do the subtitle.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zouthay