Chad Sexington

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Reviews
"Undeniably Sexy - A Thief 's Tale is a powerful RPG with an emphasis on story. Numerous twists and omnipresent humor [will] make [sure you] will not get bored." says Goniec RM's Review in 2013. "4.5 out of 6" Source
"The dialogue, characters, and story in the game are all pretty great. For that alone, I would definitely recommend playing this title." says RPG RPG Revolution's Official Review in July of 2009. "8.0" Source

"The tone of the game, as you'll see, is very devil. Difficult to [not] smile in the face of countless dialogue of rare stupidity that [you'll] read [while] playing." says Rpg2s Magazine in their September 2008 Issue. "8.5" Source

Maker: RPG Maker XP
Project Start: June 21, 2006
Last Updated: August 15, 2013
Team: Solo Project
Other Projects: None. This is my first, last, and only RMXP game (except for this).
Download: Undeniably Sexy: A Thief's Tale
Twitter: @UOThief
Walkthrough: Youtube
Forums: uothief.freeforums.org
Hours of Gameplay: ~35

For the love of all that is evil and cruel, I just finished my game! After 6 1/2 years of development (on and off) resulting in 35 hours of game play, I'm calling this one done. This was a labor of love for me and I'm proud to say that I actually stuck to my original vision and followed my original outline (for the most part). I knew exactly what kind of game I wanted to make and what I wanted to do and... I did it. It just took a while to get it done. I'm sure there are plenty of minor bugs to iron out, but I think that can be expected in a game that uses 600 skills, 400 items, 200 enemies, 800 common events, and 500 maps. My tilesets, sound FX, BGM, and animations "borrow" heavily from Ultima Online. This game is not and will never be for profit. This is an extremely linear, event heavy, script light RMXP game.

As a disclaimer I also want to add that this was my first RPG Maker game and I'm never going to make another one again. But this also means that I was learning how to use the program while I was making the game. Meaning, the deeper you get into the game, the eventing and polish is noticeably improved. I don't say this an excuse for some things that could have been better (because I might actually go back and fix some of that stuff). I say this to encourage players who may see something they like at the start... because it just gets better and better.

General
Story Synopsis
You play as Chad Sexington, a thief who is too curious for his own good and too dim-witted to make sense of anything he’s discovered. You fumble and bumble your way into one strange situation after another. Throughout your adventure, you'll come across six other main characters and hunt down six "champions" in search of the "greatest treasure in all the land." The end.

When you get down to it, the "story" is extremely simple, but the game is much more focused on the hunt for the treasure and what happens to your merry little band along the way. This game focuses on the characters and the situations they find themselves in and the story is simply the backdrop in which the characters are allowed to play. The background noise of "defeating the big baddie and saving the world or die trying" simply provides a foundation in which the story moves along.

The game is broken down into 3 distinct acts:
  • Act I: No fate but what we make. - Introduction of the six other main characters with a cliffhanger ending, coming face-to-face with your first champion and finally getting a better idea of the greater story surrounding them. This act may seem like a string of random events because it is. My goal was to introduce all of the main characters, a few villains, and sprinkle in plot points that come front and center at the end which then leads into Acts II & III. This act is all about introductions.
  • Act II: A series of unfortunate events. - The dark middle chapter where you face your 2nd, 3rd, and 4th champions while hearts are being broken and backs are being stabbed. This is probably the most traditional act in terms of RPG storytelling where you have a defined goal and the group moves from dungeon to dungeon, building upon the first act while setting the up the third.
  • Act III: All good things must come to an end. - Conclusion of the mystery surrounding the six champions. In this act there is a larger focus on open-ended gameplay, forcing players to use what they've learned in the previous two acts to progress the story so that they can all live happily ever after. There is also another sub-theme where I begin referencing lots of people and events that happened in Acts I & II while also visiting previous locations. This act is all about conclusions.
Note: This game is extremely linear. There is a world map that is used to depict geography, but you're not allowed to "free-roam." There are side-quests that you can discover, but for the most part, the game keeps you moving from location to location with very little room for deviation.

World Development & Setting
History vs. People

The people are the ones who color the world of this game where the history is often mentioned in passing through various NPCs.

That being said, the world of Undeniably Sexy is full of people of many different professions, including: thieves, mages, paladins, blacksmiths, adventurers, scribes, tailors, tinkers, fishermen, alchemists, spice vendors, traveling merchants, priests, inquisitors, arbiters, bounty hunters, fortune tellers, etc. -- you name it.

Core Systems

"Magery" is very structured and is a core system of the more fantastical things that people can do in this world. There are 8 Magery Circles each containing 8 Magery Spells for a total of 64. All mages learn the same 64 spells. The spells are learned in batches of 8 as a mage raises their skill in Magery. Each spell requires mana and a specific set of reagents that are consumed after each use and there are 8 reagents in total. These reagents can be purchase at Magery shops. Each spell also has a set of "Words of Power" that are spoken as they are cast. For example: The Greater Heal spell requires 11 mana, 1 garlic, 1 ginseng, 1 mandrake root, and 1 spider's silk to cast and its Words of Power are "In Vas Mani." If a Mage doesn't have the required mana, reagents, or skill in Magery to cast a spell, that spell is disabled.

This is just one example of the different structured systems found within the world.

Again, the world is completely secondary (or maybe even tertiary) to the situations the characters find themselves in. When I first outlined the game, I had major bullet points which made sense on how the group would reach each champion, but much of the game was me figuring out how best to torture, exploit, and/or make fun of them, usually at the expense of someone else in the main cast of characters.

Character Bios

Chad Sexington
(a.k.a. The Slaughterer)
  • Class: Thief
  • Ultima Skills: Stealing, Stalking, and Eating
  • Curious like a child and a habitual liar.
  • Enjoys telling jokes and stories even if no one cares to listen.
  • Master Thief and Part-Time Assassin
  • If he's not stealing or murdering, he's satisfying his sweet tooth. A food lover.
  • Preferred Weapons: Daggers, Krysses, War Forks, and Katanas.
  • Favorite Foods: Cookies, Cake, Meat, Apples, Grapes, Bread, Pie, and Ale

TheOneEyedJack
(a.k.a. The Predator)
  • Class: Mage
  • Ultima Skills: Magery, Meditation, and Fishing
  • Strange (and unfulfilled) sexual appetites. Sexually frustrated.
  • Master Mage and Amateur Fisherman
  • Preferred Weapons: Spellbooks, Scythes, and Cutlasses.
  • Favorite Foods: Fish and Ale

BEO
(a.k.a. The Ogre)
  • Class: Ogre
  • Ultima Skills: Tactics, Eating, and Bonding
  • Healthy Eater
  • Selectively Curious
  • Strong like an ox.
  • Preferred Weapons: Clubs
  • Favorite Foods: Humans, Meat, Carrots, Cheese, Eggs, Pizza, and Ale

Endrick
(a.k.a. The Exile)
  • Class: Paladin
  • Ultima Skills: Chivalry, Focus, and Taming
  • Pure of heart and noble to a fault.
  • Values everything holy and spits on everything evil.
  • Wide-eyed, eager to learn, and enjoys making new friends.
  • Master Paladin and Amateur Tamer
  • Problems with sleepwalking.
  • Preferred Weapons: Halberds, Swords, and Maces.
  • Favorite Foods: Bird, Bird legs, and Ale

Lord Book Master
(a.k.a. The Leader)
  • Class: Mage
  • Ultima Skills: Magery, Meditation, and Inscription
  • Strange old man.
  • Natural leader.
  • Master Mage and Scribe
  • Keeper of much knowledge of the world.
  • Corrupt through and through.
  • Natural sexual appetite.
  • Easily excited by books.
  • Preferred Weapons: Spellbooks
  • Favorite Foods: Ribs and Ale

Special SixtynNyn
(a.k.a. The Tempstress)
  • Class: Blacksmith
  • Ultima Skills: Blacksmithy, Mining, and Fortune Telling
  • Insanely beautiful and enormously wealthy.
  • Strange past and most likely of royal lineage.
  • Very knowledgeable of the evils of the world.
  • Master Tinker, Smith, Tailor, and Miner
  • Amateur Fortune Teller
  • Dirty, dirty, whore.
  • Preferred Weapons: War Hammers, Swords, and Maces.
  • Favorite Foods: Apples, Grapes, Carrots, and Ale

Robyn Banks
(a.k.a. The Pretender)
  • Class: Thief
  • Ultima Skills: Stealing, Mimic, and Focus
  • Master Thief, Mime, and Con Artist
  • Moderate Fighting Skills
  • Gambling problem.
  • Preferred Weapons: Short Spears, Swords, Cutlasses, and Katanas.
  • Favorite Foods: Bread, Cheese, Eggs, and Ale
Note: All ages are left completely ambiguous. It's just not that important and specific ages are never referenced in the game. I leave this bit of information for the player to decide for themselves as they get to know each character through their dialogue and actions. As far as I'm concerned, other than Lord Book Master, any one of them can be anywhere between 15-40 years of age.

Ultima Skill System
This game is loosely based off of the MMORPG Ultima Online. That game is skill-based as opposed to level-based, like World of Warcraft, and I tried to translate that skill system into this game.

Each of the seven main characters has 3 Ultima Skills. Each skill has a value that ranges from 0-1000. By performing specific actions, a "skill gain check" will be calculated. The higher the value of the skill, the harder it is to gain. The chance to gain is based on a linear equation. At zero skill there is a 100% chance to gain, at 1000 skill there is a 25% chance to gain, and everything in between. If the skill gain check is successful, the skill will increase by +1. The specific actions that trigger gains can be anything from casting a Magery Spell in or out of battle (for Magery) to stealing, disarming, hiding, or disguising at any time, anywhere (for Stealing). The idea is that whatever actions you take normally in and out of battle can result in skill gains, all through normal play, with very little grinding.

Below is the complete list of all 16 Ultima Skills featured in the game:
  • Blacksmithy
  • Bonding
  • Chivalry
  • Eating
  • Fishing
  • Focus
  • Fortune Telling
  • Meditation
  • Mimic
  • Mining
  • Stalking
  • Stealing
  • Tactics
  • Taming
Notes:
  • 10 skills are taken directly from Ultima Online.
  • 6 skills are taken indirectly from UO.
  • 5 skills are duplicate among characters.

Screenshots
In-Game

Maps

World Map

FAQ
Q: Is this a fan game?
A: Yes, kind of. Undeniably Sexy completely emulates many things from the MMORPG Ultima Online, by Electronic Arts, which was a game I played for ~12 years. I've taken names, locations, and systems (Magery, Chivalry, Blacksmithy, etc.) and used them as a foundation to build and populate my own game. That being said, Ultima Online is an MMO and not a single player game, and it has very little actual story. The story in my game is completely original. People who have played Ultima Online will notice these similarities immediately, but in the end Undeniably Sexy is a game littered with homages to UO and nothing more.

Q: Are there really 35 hours of gameplay?
A: Actually, there are potentially hundreds of hours of gameplay. There is a New Game+ feature that will allow you to replay the game as many times as you want. The majority of differences occur between the 1st and 2nd play-throughs. And even though small changes continue to occur in your 3rd play-through and beyond, the game is really designed to be played twice. The 1st time through should take your roughly 35 hours to complete. The 2nd time through should take you roughly 25 hours. This means that the full intended game play experience is roughly 60 hours in length. (New Game+ was a planned feature from the very beginning when I first designed the game. It all fits mechanically and within the lore. New Game+ was not just shoe-horned in as a last minute addition to pad the game with more fat.)

Let's Play

• All future Let's Plays will be added and featured on my site HERE
  • If you want to do a Let's Play of your own, I'd be happy to add it to the list.

Last edited by a moderator:

Indinera

Indie Dev
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
I probably won't have time to try this, but kudos on creating such a gigantic game. Some of the maps sure look HUGE.

Chad Sexington

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I probably won't have time to try this, but kudos on creating such a gigantic game. Some of the maps sure look HUGE.
No problem.

I don't play too many other games myself.

Giving feedback about the contents of the thread is just fine. :ph34r:

Chad Sexington

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Emergency Patch

If you've downloaded a recent version of the game, please re-download the game now. The bug will be fixed as of Version 2.007b.

I've encountered a game ending bug due to a missing art asset I thought I didn't need. When the game encounters it, the game will just crash. This will happen when a creature attempts to cast the spell "Word of Death." I believe the first creatures you'll encounter that are able to cast this spell only show up in the middle of Act III, 20+ hours into the game.

(You can keep your saves, just copy/paste and transfer them to the new game folder.)

Sorry, folks.

:(

Edit: This is what I get for making small changes without testing it. I know you're not supposed to do it, but I thought I had it right. Now I can definitively say that it works because I've just completed it and beat the game. Please make sure you have at least 2.007b.

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Found a small bug. When One-Eyed Jack comes into the pub and is at the bar, if you try to speak to him from behind it's like he's not there and you end up with the dialogue with the bar tender. You can only speak to him from the side.

Unless I have misunderstood what's supposed to happen, I have also found a more significant bug. If I've understood correctly, 3 balls of yarn should produce one bolt of cloth. That is how it worked with the wool. I took 5 piles of silk to the spinning wheel in the cave, and got 5 balls of silk, but no bolt of cloth, so I'm unable to get Matthew to hand over his pail.

Chad Sexington

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Found a small bug. When One-Eyed Jack comes into the pub and is at the bar, if you try to speak to him from behind it's like he's not there and you end up with the dialogue with the bar tender. You can only speak to him from the side.

Unless I have misunderstood what's supposed to happen, I have also found a more significant bug. If I've understood correctly, 3 balls of yarn should produce one bolt of cloth. That is how it worked with the wool. I took 5 piles of silk to the spinning wheel in the cave, and got 5 balls of silk, but no bolt of cloth, so I'm unable to get Matthew to hand over his pail.
The first one should be an easy fix.

For the second, I'm looking at the event now and it looks right. The only thing I can think of is a bug I encountered before. The loom/spinning wheel might be using a variable that is also being used by a parallel process that's running in the background that's changing the value in the middle of the calculation. But it's weird that I've never run into that problem before. I'll try to fix it, but you can probably just load up your game and do it again. I haven't touched that event in years and no one else reported that problem so... maybe it's just a small window where the variables are messing up?

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I'll try to fix it, but you can probably just load up your game and do it again.
The only problem is that having saved with the 5 balls of silk, there is no save - except right back at the very beginning - before then. Therefore it looks like I shall have to start virtually all over again. Aagghhhhh!!!

Chad Sexington

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
The only problem is that having saved with the 5 balls of silk, there is no save - except right back at the very beginning - before then. Therefore it looks like I shall have to start virtually all over again. Aagghhhhh!!!
Well, maybe not. You get the balls of silk from the spinning wheel and only make the bolt of silk at the loom, right?

So maybe the bug is with the loom and not the spinning wheel?

edit: Also, I'm playing through it again right now in this New Game+ I just put into the game and... the dialogue at the beginning of the game is so bad. Haha. I'm going to have to do something about it. I hope you still continue to play because you're right in the middle of what I consider the "bad" part of the game. It's all the stuff I threw together in the first month I got my hands on RMXP where I was just messing with events, variables, and didn't entire know personalities I was going with or overall tone. (Chad's just a little too goofy. He's still goofy later, but it tones down a bit.)

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Well, maybe not. You get the balls of silk from the spinning wheel and only make the bolt of silk at the loom, right?
OK, airhead moment of the decade. I did fine with the wool, just completely forgot about the loom for the silk. I'm so sorry to have given you extra work for nothing (hangs head in shame).

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
After my last idiocy, I hesitate to report another possible bug, but...

At the anvil in the Fire Dungeon, I have 33 bronze ingots. Several times I have tried to create bronze plate armour, which needs 25 ingots. Each time I try I get the message that I don't have enough ingots.

Chad Sexington

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
After my last idiocy, I hesitate to report another possible bug, but...

At the anvil in the Fire Dungeon, I have 33 bronze ingots. Several times I have tried to create bronze plate armour, which needs 25 ingots. Each time I try I get the message that I don't have enough ingots.
Hm... I'll have to dig into the event to see if there's a problem.

But first, are you sure it's saying you don't have enough bronze ingots or is it saying you don't have enough skill in Blacksmithy to use bronze? You will need 400+ Blacksmithy to use bronze and that's really high for a first play through unless you just sit there and go through endless menus and grind it.

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
No, it definitely says that I don't have enough ingots. I've already forged something in bronze, so I know I've got the skill. I don't think I've done that much grinding; I got the upgrades in skill when smelting - at least that's when I recall getting a couple of them - rather than when I've actually been crafting anything, if that makes a difference.

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Found another bug. I was trying to walk past the guards in Papua, got stopped, the passport is out of date, and so I was knocked back into the house - except that the sprite is just outside the lefthand wall of the house, completely stuck, so I've had to reload.

I've just tried several ways to upload the screen shot, none of which have worked.

Chad Sexington

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Found another bug. I was trying to walk past the guards in Papua, got stopped, the passport is out of date, and so I was knocked back into the house - except that the sprite is just outside the lefthand wall of the house, completely stuck, so I've had to reload.

I've just tried several ways to upload the screen shot, none of which have worked.
Ugh... this is obviously a simple player transfer bug. The maps used to be bigger until I revised them all and made the interior maps of all houses smaller. It's transferring you to the old location. Of all the different kinds of bugs, these shouldn't exist. >_<

Do you remember which guard specifically?

I did a quick look at all the different events and I'm missing it.

edit: Oh, I think I found it. You tried to go behind the crates? I only fixed the events between the two guards.

(This will be fixed as of Version 2.014.)

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
edit: Oh, I think I found it. You tried to go behind the crates? I only fixed the events between the two guards.

(This will be fixed as of Version 2.014.)
That's right, behind the crates.

assailent78

Warper
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
Hey this may be a stupid question but when I try to install the rpg maker to run your game its all in japanese and I keep getting a error I cant read can you help me? I really wanna try your game out.

Chad Sexington

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses

elobello

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I have recently completed this game.

I found the story to be intriguing, funny, and to have great depth. The gameplay was very complex. At times I thought it might be getting grindy but I soon realized this was just a matter of learning strategy for a particular module. You end up playing as one main character but you also spend alot of time as 5 other characters. I love this about the game. It really forces you to consider all the options (of which there are many) during gameplay. I ended taking 55 hours to complete it. This is just awesome considering it is free. The graphics are old school adventure style of course and Chad seems to extract the best out of this engine. There are a few bugs here and there but they are generally not distracting and seem relatively few compared to the depth of the game.

All in all a great effort on Chad's part and well worth the time if you enjoy the old school RPG adventure.

I am playing again btw and having just as much fun with that.

Kudos Chad!!

assailent78

Warper
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
Ok I installed the launcher now when I try to launch your game it says RGSS104E.dll could not be found?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Quexp wrote on Shaz's profile.
I absolutely love your profile/pic! :kaoluv:
Stream will be live shortly with some Darkest Dungeon! Feel free to drop by!
I made a battle results screen for my minigame.. any feedback? :)
Things I thought would never happen but just did: I needed to use my snow shovel. In August. In the Northern Hemisphere.
So I finished Cupcake, now I need to figure out my next project!
Do I pick up one of my incomplete games?
Do I start something entirely new???
The possibilities are endless!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Amarina