Unemployment Quest

Discussion in 'Commercial Games' started by Nemoide, Jun 29, 2012.

1. Nemoide

Nemoide Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    So I actually finished/released this about two weeks ago but I figure I should make a thread about it. (I was going to post about it upon release it but was discouraged by this forum's requirements; this isn't a very traditional RPG, even though it uses the “system” and certain tropes.)

This is a very personal project for me. My idea was to make a game that demonstrates my experiences with joblessness, which I know are not unique. Like so many great writers say “write what you know” and I set out to make a game that reflects the reality I've experienced. I also tried to make sure the game is consistently fun and enjoyable throughout, despite the depressing subject matter.

Story Synopsis:

You play as a well-educated young person who finished school last year, but haven't been able to find a job. Your feel ashamed of not having employment, but you're determined to find something! Your first task is to go to town and attempt to apply at local businesses. After this, the primary antagonist “Uncertain Future” appears, threatening the very existence of the hero.

This isn't a role-playing game in any traditional sense. Choices are limited, characters are stand-ins for people who I hope exist in the players' lives, and the plot is thinly-veiled metaphor more than anything else. Nonetheless, what I've attempted is to make a game that is relevant to the actual life of the player, rather than offering fantasy and escapism.

Character:

“Chris” (I encourage people to change the hero's name) is an educated, androgynous person looking to find a place in society by getting a job! I've purposely left the character as a blank slate so that players can insert themselves into the role.

Setting:

The Realm of Vocatia: a land where your job dictates your worth in society. It is a fairly isolated area, primarily consisting of the Town of Vocatia, a smaller town called Hillville, and a former center of commerce but now poor town called Bleekton. The world is also home to a shopping mall and a couple caves which connect locations or contain hidden treasures.

There is also the Realm of Uncertainty from which your stress and worries emanate...

(IMO the highlight of the setting is that I've loaded it with flavor text; nearly everything can be examined!)

Screenshots (from a previous version):

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Music:

I've composed an original soundtrack to the game, MP3s of it can be downloaded here.

Trailer:

Demo:

Download the demo (includes RTP data) here: http://www.unemploym...oyment-demo.exe

(The demo is very limited, mostly showing the first town and the odds are you're only going to encounter one type of enemy. But it gives you the "feel" of the game and my sensibility.)

This is a commercial game; the full version can be purchased on the official website.

This is my first game and I know that it is not a technical marvel nor a showcase of the power of RPG Maker, but I really put a lot of myself into it. I'm going to be selling copies on CD at an upcoming convention, which I'm really looking forward to. Anyway, I hope that if anyone here tries it out, they enjoy it! I look forward to reading any comments!

I've already received a ton of positive feedback from people who have played it.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 2, 2012
    ZAiKAi and AmnesiacJack like this.
  2. Todd

Todd Game Developer Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    I kind of like the idea, it's pretty original. I LOVE the music you made, not to spam your thread but what software did you use? Your mapping seems kind of decent, if you still can I'd add some more clutter. :)

3. Lonely

Lonely Villager Member

First Language:
    Dansk
    Looks good, I give the demo a go! :)

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 30, 2012
  4. Nemoide

Nemoide Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I'm glad you like it! I used Korg DS-10+ for Nintendo DS. It's a really awesome program that replicates an analog synthesizer with a sequencer/drum machine.

5. Johnny Kooch

Johnny Kooch Warper Member

First Language:
    English
    Yeah this looks like a pretty refreshing game among others. Your mapping with RTP is actually good as well, unlike a lot of other games.

6. hyde9318

hyde9318 RMC Coordinator Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Ok, I, for one, will say that you have some very clever humor in this. IMPulses, that was funny. Along with fighting Doubts. Clever way to do your monsters.

On the other hand, I would say that you should shrink your maps a bit. The way I see things (and judging by the size of cabinets and beds), each tile is about 3ft across by 3ft down. So you have a square yard in each tile. Then, when you look at your bedroom you made, the floor space is 14 tiles wide and 7 tiles tall (unless you count underneath the wall overhang, but I dont). Math wise, you are looking at a 1092 square foot room. Then take into account that your room objects (beds, cabinets, tables, etc.) are only taking up about 180 sq. ft. of that space. That means that the walking space is HUGE, which isn't always good.

Don't take this as bashing your mapping. I am just saying that you would be surprised how much just making your maps smaller would help when dealing with how they look. Also, if you think about it, smaller maps tend to take less time to complete when mapping, so that is another plus.

Other than that, I think you did a fairly good job considering you did this in the amount of time you did. I enjoyed playing it. Can't wait to see what you come up with next.

7. Nemoide

Nemoide Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Thanks for the suggestion about mapping. I'm already planning my next game (not an RPG, not made with RPG Maker) but I'm sure it'll come in handy down the road. I need all the feedback I can get!

(I'm glad you appreciate the humor.)

8. ultrabonz

ultrabonz Villager Member

First Language:
    German
    wow, I didn't know this software exists for the DS.

How can you export the music from the DS to a computer?

9. Nemoide

Nemoide Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    You can buy a cable for about $1 that connects the headphone jack of the DS to the microphone jack of the PC. Then you just record it using whatever audio program you want (I used an ancient version of Sound Forge).

10. Shablo5

Shablo5 Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I love the story of how this game came to be, both with the inspiration and the kickstarter. Funny, yet cool at the same time. I hope you have much success with your Title.

11. NO!

NO! Adventurer Member

First Language:
    Cymraeg
    Haha, reading the comments on your youtube trailer. You've got a lot of hate for this, but I honestly don't understand why. xD £3.93 is a more than reasonable price for this, and I plan on buying on my next payday. :) I love the sense of humour, and I like what you've accomplished with yer maps, particularly with (What I assume to be) The Realm of Uncertainty.

Magic skill "Firm Handshake". That is hilarious. :D

But one of the best things about this, is that I bet hundreds of people can relate to this on a very personal level. Myself included. I will pass further judgement upon completing the full game! :)

12. Deleted

Deleted The Champion of Uncertainty :D Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Didn't I see this on Kickstarter?

13. Indinera

Indinera Indie Dev Veteran

First Language:
    French
    Didn't I see necroposting? ;)

Tuomo L, Lars Ulrika and B.Ultimus like this.
  14. Greensburg

Greensburg Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Spanish
    Do people really manage to sell a game with just RTP graphics, relatively bad mapping and the default battle system?

Why would anyone buy this? =/.

The music must be extremely good or something.

GipsyDanger likes this.
  15. Tuomo L

Tuomo L Oldbie Veteran

First Language:
    Finnish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Is the merrit of the game measured only by how much custom resources it uses as opossed to how good it actually is? 

Lorenze likes this.
  16. Nemoide

Nemoide Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I know the game is not going to really appeal to "the RPG Maker crowd" because of this, but it's aimed more at the "average Joe gamer" who has experience in being unemployed and is probably at best only kind of aware that RPG Maker is a thing that exists.  There are a lot of people who have never played a game with RTP graphics and they won't be turned off!  I *wanted* the "generic RPG aesthetic and combat" and the RTP matches that perfectly.

Also I'd like to say that the game is a part of this month's Bundle In a Box, which I think is really exciting!

17. Engr. Adiktuzmiko

Engr. Adiktuzmiko Chemical Engineer, Game Developer, Using BlinkBoy' Veteran

First Language:
    Tagalog
    What's wrong with RTP graphics and default battle system?

The normal players don't even know what it means...

and bad mapping can only be really seen once you play it...

maybe if you're someone using RPG Maker, you will hesitate to buy... but if you're simply a player (which should be the target of the games), it doesn't really matter...

We make games to please the players, not to please other game makers... If you could make a game that caters to both, why not? but the first priority should always be the normal players...

After all, it's normal for us who dwells in game making to notice/care about the things that normal players don't...

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 18, 2013
    saintivan, Tuomo L and Shaz like this.
  18. Tuomo L

Tuomo L Oldbie Veteran

First Language:
    Finnish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    People who use RPG Maker very rarely buy the games anyway, so they shouldn't be your main market. 

19. masashi86

masashi86 Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I'm quite new at these forums, but I have to say, I really I like this game idea, it feels almost like a short film storyline!
    I really like these story-driven rpgs, especially if they're like expression of your own thoughts, it seems like a very good way to create a game :)

GarageBand likes this.