Unexplained Occurrences

Discussion in 'General Lounge' started by Alexander Amnell, Feb 20, 2014.

1. Alexander Amnell

Alexander Amnell Jaded Optimist Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
       So earlier today someone posted a status update about phobias in general. At one point on this update someone else posted about a fear of the paranormal and shared a personal experience about it, to which a bunch of people (myself and the OP included) hijacked said status update to share our own paranormal stories instead of continuing to talk about our own fears.

This status kept getting so many updates that the actual conversation quickly became lost due to the limited size of each post. (I think before it got buried beneath the 5 most recent updates it had broken 40 responses) and a lot of those stories interested me, but I feel that some details were missed because of how fast everyone was trying to talk at that point and answer others and all of that. (and I'm also curious to hear from people who weren't a part of that conversation, since so many people responded in such a short time-frame to the status I've got to wonder if, to quote one of said people "rpgmakerweb: Where EVERYONE'S had some paranormal experiences." is possibly a valid statement or not. 

Given that and the nature of some other off topic threads I figured that this one deserved an off topic topic as well. So I'd like to ask anyone that has had one and feels like sharing to tell us of any paranormal/unexplained experiences you've had in life. These can be scary/ghost stories yes but any unexplained phenomena is perfectly fine, not just the scary kind. If you are an absolute anti-paranormal person who believes that anyone who has had said experience is either delusional or flat out lying then please don't participate here. The one thing this thread idea is not about is debating, it's about one's own experiences in life, and I really don't want it to degenerate into the type of thread where someone has to defend their own personal experiences or their beliefs on a scientific/religious/any level.

I will start with my own, singular experience into what could be defined as a paranormal experience. My father died when I was 9 years old from a rare form of stomach cancer that spread all throughout his body quickly after being discovered/attempted to treat. From the time that he was diagnosed with this disease he had little to no time to devote to me and my little brother anymore, always going to/from and then recovering from all the treatments. (This cancer was so rare that next to no research had been performed on it in the past, so from what I now understand the approach to his treatment was kind of a shotgun approach involving a mix of some of the stronger types of chemo therapy and radiation in the hopes that it would have positive effects.) He continued to deteriorate steadily and in less than two years from diagnosis he passed. 

I don't remember how I felt or what I thought in the days that followed. What I remember is that during the visitation I was in the lobby eating (it's a Georgia thing, from what I can tell. If you've been to a funeral in Georgia you probably know this, otherwise you're wondering 'why the hell is there food at the visitation?' I don't really know why, just that there was.) and my father comes up to me and asks me to follow him. He leads me out of the funeral home and into the woods nearby and we start to walk and to chat.

We weren't talking about the usual types of things that you'd expect a man and his 9 year old child to talk about, however. My father opened up to me that day in a way he had never done before. He told me things that I had no hope of understanding (and didn't understand) for years yet, from his own views on life and family, religion and how to grow up to mistakes he had made and regrets he had died with (he never said died with, but I later realized that is what he meant.) That is what I remember most, the regret in his voice as he talked to me, along with the fact that he kept apologizing and insisting that he always believed he'd have more time to do this than he had. 

It didn't seem at all like a lot of time had passed but when our conversation was finished he told me that my mother was worried about me and that I should go back. I remember that I asked him if he was coming with me or something along those lines and he just smiled and shook his head. I don't remember him vanishing or anything, I just went back like he had told me to (sometimes I wonder what would have happened if I had been thinking more clearly and questioned more of what was happening, but like I said I can't even remember what was actually going through my head at the time I experienced this.) and realized quickly that more than three hours had passed and everyone was panicked over my disappearance.

Upon revealing what I had experienced my family pretty much universally wrote it off as the grief-driven fantasy of an over-imaginative child. My mother was even more concerned than this and actually had me see a couple of doctors for a time to make sure I was mentally stable and sane I guess. I might have come do dismiss my experience as just that after a time (in fact I believe that there were moments growing up that I was close to doing so) but there were just to many things wrong with that belief.

I wrote down every word I could remember of the last conversation I had with my father (he even stressed the importance of remembering it to me at one point during the conversation, which made me think to do so in the first place) in a blank notebook and it filled like 1/3 of it up front and back with information that there was no way that my mind could have come up with at the time to create a hallucinogenic fantasy with. One thing that stuck with me even early on was the statement. "Don't always worry about what is true all of the time. Be open to the possibility that anything and everything you hear might be true, but reserve your trust only for those things which are important enough that you would be willing to stake your life on." I believe that this statement and the vein in the conversation that it stems from came directly from him knowing that 1. I was a kid and I wouldn't not try to share this story with my entire family, and 2. that they would mostly write it off and try to convince me that it was nothing. It came to mean so much more to me, as I grew up I came to question everything and eventually this lead to a falling out in regards to my 'family's religion' as well as religion in general that I can kind of trace back to this day and the reaction I got. I have developed according to that statement and have attempted to be open to new knowledge of any kind and not allow filters of any kind to determine what I believe or don't believe, if something is not 100% provable to me either as a reality or a falsehood I view it as something worth learning more about at, regardless of whatever personal skepticism I might have developed because of culture/upbringing/ect...

I didn't begin to fully understand the things in that notebook until I was around twenty years old, eleven+ years after writing it. I still occasionally read through it from time to time and I'll even compare myself on occasion to the man that was my father and that is always a pretty big mix of emotions to see where I followed his advice and where I was to immature to understand it and did stupid things that I was warned about and had to suffer the consequences on my own. And more importantly, to see what I've become and compare it to what he was, I was influenced a lot by my father's last words and in some ways that even drove me away from the paths that I know he'd have wanted me to take in life (like religion) but I can't help but thinking when I read his thoughts that if he were alive we would be very close today and he'd be proud of my path overall, because it was different than his. 

I've talked enough now, so someone else share their own paranormal/unexplained stories. I know a lot of you have them because what is life if not a series of unanswered questions awaiting answers?

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 20, 2014
  2. Arkecia

Arkecia Database Queen Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I've always had odd experiences + the usual ones that are common enough at an attempt to explain them away. They haven't exactly quieted down, but it's more like I am not always at odds with strange things anymore, at least not in real life. The dream world is still always a constant struggle; now that I think about it my dreams have only begun getting more and more intense/horrific ever since I chose not to be afraid of reality.

Your mention of your father really hits home with me though, although I was older when my father died (about a month after my 14th birthday) But anyway, some backstory:

My parents divorced when I was going on 6, and after that I never saw my father again until my 14th birthday, where he was a complete stranger to me. After the woman he was with injured her own son out of jealousy for his affection, my Aunt who took me to see my dad took me away about as fast for fear of my safety. The night she took me away I had locked my door because the younger son my dad's girlfriend hurt was seriously annoying me and I wanted to sleep without interruption. My aunt says doing so might have saved my life.

Anyway, about a month later my father died. It was ruled as a suicide, but my aunt is convinced he was murdered since there was no note and a week prior he said he loved life too much to kill himself. After hearing about it life was largely the same for a year, but then I had this strange dream. A man wearing a black business suit and sunglasses told me he knew what happened to my father. He always had his hand on my back as he spoke, leading me places and talking about what my father was like in the moments I never got to see him. Basically telling me his story before getting to the reason I was letting him lure me.

The worst part of it all was that he felt very safe and familiar, the suited man. I say worst, because during the many dreams he would lead me in an enclosed space that would lead to my death if I couldn't wake up in time. It was just a dream, but all the same people fight to stay alive regardless; I was no different. The problem is that every time I had a dream with the suited man in it, it would take me longer and longer to wake up. This happened three separate times, and during the last time I was led into a see-through elevator that was moving up to a floor with many different types of creatures all staring at me, waiting for me to come up. I'm sure it's not hard to imagine the terror of trying to wake up and not being able to until I was at arms length.

Some context: I lucid dream a lot, and waking up always took me a couple seconds at the most. This took much longer, and once I woke up a saw a dark purple energy leave my face and go through the ceiling. It was at this time I became worried; and for good reason, because the next week I slept it happened for the final time.

I knew it was a similar dream, because it actually felt almost real. I could touch myself and feel, and I felt chills that wouldn't go away. This time the dream took place in my living room, and those creatures from before appeared before me minutes after the dream began. I ran into my room and closed the door; for some odd reason I felt/was safe here. I sat on my bed and looked at my door for what felt like hours. Seriously, never before could I have said "it felt like hours" and mean it behind flowery dialogue. It was then that I saw a blue light at the edge of my bed; this light felt even more familiar than the last person I met in these dreams.

The light went into me and the chills I felt before grew many times stronger where I couldn't sit still anymore; I threw open the door and rushed past all of the creatures; when I turned around they turned into dark purple spirits and went into the ceiling. This was the first time during these dreams I felt powerful. I woke up moments later to see it was getting dark outside. I figured it was going to be dawn soon, but in actuality I had been in that dream for more than ten hours. I spent more than ten hours trying to wake up from a dream. I never saw those dark spirits ever again, or that suited man. I also never found out about my father's death from that man, but I did learn a lot, like how he loved me and that if I wanted proof of his words to ask my Aunt (the same aunt, my father's sister) for the tree stump.

I figured after that last dream I should finally look beyond it being me being weird and called my aunt up and asked about a tree stump. When my father died, all of his stuff was sent to my aunt who put it in storage. My father worked as a woodcutter, so someone having a piece of a stump didn't seem so far-fetched. She asked me if my father told me about it; I ended up telling her about the dream. The next day she sent me the stuff he left her, and at the top of this cardboard box was the top of a tree stump with my name carved into it. My Aunt told me he did that a while after my mom took me away to show his love for me. I still have that piece of wood sitting in a corner of my room as I speak.

I apologize for the large post, but hey you wanted people to share their paranormal stories, and I figured it was one of the better ones to get off my chest. I still haven't had any dreams about them, but I am getting more and more powerless in dreams I once had lucid control over. It sucks, but then again I get to have interesting dreams every night that I remember.

Dalph and Frostyfirefly like this.
  3. mlogan

mlogan Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Wow, what an incredible story and what a special memory for you.

I wish I could say that my experience was so meaningful, but in reality it wasn't. About 10 years ago, I worked at a daycare that was a part of a church. This church was out in the middle of nowhere and built in the 1800's. It was stone, almost gothic looking but not quite that big or grand. Being an old church, it also had an old cemetery next to it. Just across the street was an equally old house owned by the church that had originally been used as the pastor's home.

Well, when I was there, it was decided the house was too worn to be kept and so it was slated to be demolished. A few of us were curious to go check out the inside of it before it was torn down and we were told if there was anything in there we wanted, to take it. (By the owner - the church.) Let's just say the moment I stepped inside I knew something was not right about that house.  It was freaky - the previous resident (just a rentee) had plastered this weird 3Dish metallic paper up and down the wall where the stairs were. The electricity had been cut off, so that didn't help. And there was just a presence and not a good one.

So fast forward a bit. One of the parents had salvaged some of the wood flooring to use in a building project. Not long after that we started having some strange things happening. His son was in my class of 2 year olds. One day, he was the only child in my class (a couple were sick, a couple on vacation) so we went with another class that only had a couple of kids on a walk through the cemetery. I know it sounds weird but it was actually a very peaceful place. We'd made one lap around the small cemetery and were getting ready to do a second, when he suddenly froze. The kid would not move. I kept encouraging him to come with me, but he wouldn't. All he would say was "Hold me, hold me" as he stared off toward the church. I picked him up and asked what was wrong and he would just point with wide eyes and say, "The boy, the boy". There was no one in sight where he was pointing. I finally got him calmed down and that was the end of that.

A couple of weeks later, that child was absent and we were in the middle of reading a story in our class, when a little girl started crying hysterically. She was pointing to an empty corner and saying "I don't like that boy, I don't like the boy."  By now I was pretty freaked out.

Another week or two goes by and a third child, a little girl who was not there for the first two incidents (she didn't come every day) saw something. The children were sitting at the table eating a snack. I was moving some bookshelves and stuff around while they ate. I was pulling one shelf out into the hall that we didn't need anymore, when this little girl started yelling "Don't go near the door, don't go near the door." I stopped and asked her why. She said, "That man, I don't like that man" as she pointed toward the door. I began questioning her.

I asked was he in our room or in the hall. She said in the door (I took it as standing in the doorway). I asked was he a big man like daddy or a boy like one of her classmates. She said big man like daddy. I asked did he have dark hair or light hair. Dark hair. The creepy thing was that she was answering the questions so automatically, not like a young child needing time to think about making up an answer. She was petrified the whole time and never took her eyes off the door. I could hear the worship pastor talking across the hall, so I asked when I heard his voice, "Is that him?" No. I walked near the door and said "He's over here?" and she started screaming, "No, no, don't go there!" Thankfully our room shared a small restroom with the next classroom, so I gathered up the kids and their snacks and we left the room that way.

Now, while all of this was going on, the parent had taken the flooring from the house and stacked it in the back of their house. The first little boy who'd seen the boy in the cemetery, started seeing a girl walking across their backyard. She would walk towards the house and he was the only one who would ever see her. There was a bag of toys that they'd set outside to donate and electronic toys would just start going off randomly.

In all of this time frame too, the house was torn down. I do believe that it unsettled some spirits. Also, when I mentioned the incidents my class had experienced, one of the women who had worked there a long time shared that some nights, when she was the last one there, she would here running up and down the halls upstairs and giggling and she believed there was a child or children buried in the cemetery (it was an old, old cemetery so there were many) coming up to play.

I know some may not share my viewpoint, but I spoke to the pastor of the church (a good friend of mine) and we prayed over the classroom. Nothing happened after that.

edit to add: I do believe in a spiritual world and that things can stir it up. So I do not find it just coincidence that my 7 year old, who hasn't had a bad dream in a long time, just came to me as I'm typing this, saying she couldn't sleep because she just started thinking about skeletons and they were scaring her. :(

4. Alexander Amnell

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    @Arkecia: I was curious about lucid dreaming and at one point tried to 'learn' how to do it but nothing ever came of that. Hearing your tale of losing control of such dreams I wonder if that's not a good thing. As for your actual story I'm kind of stunned and afraid to comment for fear I'll comment on something I neither know or truly understand the context of. I will say that I deeply hope you regain control of your dreams and that whatever you learned from this 'suited man' was at least worth the nightmare you had to go through in order to obtain it. 

@mlogan: Thanks for sharing, all stories have meaning to me and I never truly intended for this thread to get so personal (though it's perfectly fine if it does), that's just the only true paranormal experience I've ever had. I'm glad you are so open to the genuine input of children, it shows you've clearly been around kids for a good bit of time. To many people are willing to pass off anything a child says outside of their own personal experiences as nonsense even if what they are saying is completely out of character for that child (on a fact vs nonsense basis) based only on the fact that he/she is a child. I also like that you are willing to acknowledge the possibility of a spiritual world that can be interacted with even though a large majority of average church-goers now reject the notion. (which doesn't make sense as even parts of the bible that weren't rejected upon it's inception speak of one, including a reference to a witch of sorts that summons a dead spirit in order to communicate with it.)  hopefully the skeletons will leave your little one alone and let her sleep.

5. Arkecia

Arkecia Database Queen Veteran

First Language:
    English
    @Alex

It's perfectly fine; I've lived through a lot of odd occurrences, but looking online yields nothing really except more unrelated stories. I'd consider it all a dream since the dark spirit I saw in RL could be an after image from just waking up, but being out from 2am-7pm is a very long time spent dreaming when normally I could wake up on command. Lately I've completely lost the ability to dream lucidly, instead I'm just growing more and more powerless in them. Heck, half the time now I'm not even the main focus of them, so perhaps I'm just dreaming normally now and not liking the fact I'm not able to control it as if I lived it.

I could say the information he gave me was worth it, but really all I did was have to ask family. The main reason I kept hoping to dream of him despite it possibly meaning being unable to wake up was to figure out who he was, and why he felt so familiar as if I should have known him. My aunt told me that blue light could have been my father, but it felt female if it had a gender, so really I got stuck with more questions than answers assuming it actually means something by me knowing them, at least subconsciously.

What I will assume though is that the dark spirit that I saw when I woke up was probably the reason I couldn't wake up in the first place. Discussing dreams/unexplained occurrences is a really good way to understand them somewhat, so their's no need to fear saying something not knowing the context; at least in the case where no one seems to know. 

Frostyfirefly likes this.
  6. Frostyfirefly

Frostyfirefly Seeker of the Weird Veteran

First Language:
    Spanish
    Hm, this thread is really cool, because I love those things, I guess I can share a few things without being labelled a complete nutjob.

@Alexander: Thanks for sharing that story, a lot of people talk to spirits of the recently departed, and they don't even realize it. They look very much alive. It reminds me of a time I met a ghost during college; a somewhat recently deceased industrial design student, he looked "alive" when I talked to him, but I found it really weird when I shook his hand, it was really cold, and his shoes were strangely blurry. The moment he took a step out of the room, he was gone. I also saw my grandfather after he died when I was a kid, he was coming up the stairs, took a look at me and banished; my family said that he always wanted to see how I looked, he died before I was born, I had never seen him, so it really shocked me when I saw his picture.

@Arkecia: Sounds like you have out of body experiences (or more aptly put, projection of consciousness). I remember one time a woman I knew was always attacked by a "black dog" at night that "materialized" from out of a corner of the room, the dog left terrible marks on her wrists and neck, she could even hear the dog outside the room sometimes, scratching and growling; a "protective charm" was placed outside her door, that same night, the dog was heard outside, yelping as it were hurt, the "animal" never attacked her again. A few days later it was found out that another woman was trying to get her killed with black magic, but she got very sick (the evil woman) and weak after that, it was obvious that she was assuming the black dog shape through a twisted version of shaman astral projection, and she bumped headfirst into the charm.

@mlogan: The thing with churches and cemeteries is that the places they were built on aren't inherently "paranormal", but a lot of black magic practitioners use them for some pretty nasty rituals and "leave the door open". 

Alexander Amnell and Arkecia like this.
  7. Dalph

Dalph Nega Ralph™ Veteran

First Language:
    Italian Curses
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Being the OP of that status update I also thought that it would've been interesting to create a similar thread, but apparently Alexander beat me on time, I'm glad however that he did it in my place because his story is much more incredible than mine.

I didn't share this in the status update because It's too dayum long and I'm absolutely terrible with summaries.

-

My paternal grandmother died by an accident (she fell down the stairs and broke her femur) one year earlier before my father encountered and then married my mother, and I was born one year later after the marriage.

As a child I always had the impression to have already met her in some way, I also remember her voice somehow, I can't really explain this...I know it sounds crazy or impossible but I feel that it's not a figment of my imagination.

My father was very close to my grandmother (being the youngest son of his family he was like the mama's boy) and he remained traumatized after her death, he told me he was grief-stricken and had lost the will to live too.

Fortunately as I said he met my mother one year later, and she was able to make him smile again.

Even now however, everytime I ask something about my grandmother to him I always percieve the pain coming from his eyes.

As much as he told me a lot of things about her he never specified a very particular thing (because he didn't know it!)...and I don't know how, but I dreamed this little detail...

In my dream, my grandmother was talking to me about how her grandparents used to bake something particular after the death of a relative (some special cookies for the occasion as a sort of respect to the deceased), she also gave me some details of that recipe.

When I told about the dream to my father he remained...interested, so we decided to ask everyone in the family (especially to my grandfather) about this usage and if it was real or not, but apparently no one remembered anything of relevance (it was too long ago).

It was a complete failure, until suddenly something happened one day...

That day, a foreign cousin of my father (who is passionate of genealogy) came here with some informations hidden in an old diary.

The old diary was the one of my grandmother's grandfather (I hope I'm not confusing you now), and he managed to find it in a library in my grandmother's birthplace.

Surprisingly we found something very creepy in it...it was...the recipe of the cookies and the details on how to bake them!

The diary was like more than 70 years old and obviously rather tatty too, but the recipe and some other details were perfectly legible, and were basically the same of those in my dream.

When we showed it to my grandfather and all the other relatives, they said they didn't know anything about it...

We couldn't believe it, it was impossible...and even today we still can't explain it...

-

I don't know why my grandmother told me this nor I know the meaning of all this story but I like to think that her message was:

Never forget your roots, your ancestors and where you have come from.

From that moment when someone of the family passes away, we bake the same cookies...to carry on the tradition of our ancestors, and we also promised to never forget anymore...never.

8. Alexander Amnell

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    @FrostyFirefly: You sound as if you have had more than a passing experience or two with the unexplained, I myself have read a lot of books on the subject (anything from religious interpretations to books of rituals for conjuring spirits) but have never experienced (or tried to experience) anything above my one story above. 

@Dalph: That's an awesome story (that even ended up having tangible proof to it in the end, which makes it even cooler.) I kind of got a similar kind of feeling from my encounter, and that the reason I had it was because he was determined to pass on similar knowledge (but at a much more recent level, still knowledge that I wouldn't have had otherwise) before he went to... wherever people go in the end. Five years ago or so I even started adding my own advice to the end of the original journal to pass down to my daughters one day, just in case something does happen to me before I'm able to pass it on. (I also try to be as open with them as possible, but there is only so much you can tell a 9 year old and a 2 year old that they'll truly understand yet in this vein of information.) So that's something I really felt as well, that part of my experience was in order to pass down wisdom that would otherwise be lost forever.

I find it really interesting that 4/5 people so far have had a story that involves relatives that have passed attempting to communicate with them in some way. I kind of believed that was among the rarest types of paranormal encounter (I guess people are just quicker to dismiss them as grief or something like that, because you don't hear of them that much compared to demons and dark spirits... of course it could also just be that stories about loved ones reaching out don't sell as well so they don't show up everywhere.) but now I'm wondering if maybe it's the opposite. This also makes me wonder what it might take for someone passed to speak to someone alive, whether in a dream or while awake. I generally attributed my experience to a last bit of stubborn tenacity on my father's part, that he was so determined to survive that he found a way to at least pass on the information he felt he needed to to his legacy before moving onward. But from some of you guy's stories people have communicated with you years after dying, which makes me curious though that curiosity probably won't ever be fully sated in this life. 

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 21, 2014
    Dalph and Frostyfirefly like this.
  9. Frostyfirefly

First Language:
    Spanish
    @Alexander: Quite a few of them, yes, more out of necessity than anything, even though I love that sort of thing, things just kinda clicked so I had to experience things and assist others with some "paranormal" trouble. Things related to spirits are not recommended unless you were either: a) Taught  by someone b Born with some talent related to that c) Studied with an organization or order. Because if you mess up, you can end up with big trouble, where it is very hard to remove a "bad thing", as in, a curse that may chase an entire family bloodline and such (and who wants that??).

For example, a while back (when I was still a newbie) a family had some trouble with parasites known as larvae, I helped them get rid of them, mainly because there were small children in the house (very susceptible to them), however, I later found out that the mother was messing around with "stuff"; I warned her that I would not help them again if she kept trying dangerous things. I hope she stopped doing that and that they are free of trouble.

It is relatively easy to communicate with someone that has passed away within 3 days, after that, communication becomes difficult and dangerous, because you are not talking to the "soul" (which has made a transition to heaven, hell or reincarnation, according to some traditions), but to the spiritual print, a part of that person's personality and force, stored here on the planet. Of course, there are just too many factors involved, it is not a hard science. 

Edit: I forgot to add, yes, I believe your father was a man of strong will and wanted to contact you, that's why he could do it. And I also forgot to mention that the reason there are more creepy stories related to spirits is that a lot of demons and larvae disguise themselves as humans a lot of times, they wear something called "etheric shell", which is kinda like the "clothes" of the dead.

Dalph likes this.
  10. Dalph

First Language:
    Italian Curses
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Alexander Amnell:

That is so amazing, that diary would be a fantastic heritage for your daughters, passing it from generation to generation will keep you, your father and your whole family immortal in some way. Memories are so precious...this is the true meaning of life to me.

To be honest, that sort of paranormal dream experience happened 9 years ago, so roughly in the 2005 (exactly 20 years after the death of my grandmother).

Frostyfirefly is right when he says that after a lot of years there aren't souls anymore here, but only wandering demons and larvaes...I guess I got lucky at the end, I don't really know.

-

I also have another ghost story to share as I mentioned in the status update, it's not a typical story but more likely a very bad experience with paranormal.

This happened even earlier (2003) and wasn't as good as the other one (quite the opposite in fact, it was scary as hell).

I was very young and stupid at that time and I attempted with 2 friends to do a seance in my house, with disastrous results.

None of us had experience with those things, it was more like a game for us, but we were fascinated by ghosts and paranormal things and we managed to do the seance following a bad written guidebook that we found on the web.

Obviously we also created a rudimental Ouija board and prepared the candles and all the other necessary things, we basically followed all the instructions quite well, but we forgot something very important...to close the ritual! (by telling the spirits farewell, thank them...or do whatever the frick was necessary to end it!)

We didn't even know who or what we wanted to invoke with all that crap, the important thing for us was try to assist to something inexplicable that could've happened...that was the biggest mistake ever...

Nothing at all happened during the ritual and we were so disappointed due to this...but the night of the next day was like the Hell on Earth...

That cursed night we (me and my mother, since my father was away for work) kept hearing noises and incomprensible whispers coming from the attic of my house, although we did the seance in the room below it. (from what I know a presence may appear only in the same room of the seance, or not?)

Obviously, at first we thought it was a mouse or something but once my mother got there, there wasn't anything and both the whispers and the noises suddenly stopped. (the attic was basically empty and not big so it was easy to explore it all) 

The noises and the whispers resumed soon as we got in the bed again, increasing in intensity, as if that was not enough, we could also hear a particular noise, as if someone was beating on something. To complete the show from that moment we could feel also a terrible and unbearable smell of rotten coming from the attic.

It was around the 3:00 in the morning and as I said my father wasn't at home, my mother was scared as hell (and of course me too), but we didn't know what to do or who to call (who would've believed all this crap about ghosts?), so we decided to stay awake for 3 hours until the sunrise.

When we were awake, the noises were less frequent, until they suddendly stopped.

The next day my mother went to talk to a priest about this, and he assumed from the bad smell that the thing could've been a larva (a sort of evil parasite ghost being), he also said that an exorcism wasn't necessary at all, but he came in my house to bless it again.

From that moment, nothing more happened.

When my mother realized that I was the responsable of all this story (she was at work when I attempted to do this with my friends), she put me in punishment for a month, and she warned me to not try it again. She also told everything to my friends parents (and they did basically the same thing to their sons).

What I learned from all this story?

Never mess with those things and never enter in the attic again (I'm a bit scared ot it even today).

Susan and Frostyfirefly like this.
  11. Frostyfirefly

First Language:
    Spanish
    @Dalph: By the description, noises, bad smell, whispers, happening at 3 in the morning, all those are signs of a servant demon (servant or knight could have been either, but I'm guessing servant). Larva are not that powerful, even in great numbers, they tend to be very subtle or unnoticeable as they drain energy (after all, they don't want to be found out!). Maybe the priest didn't want to scare your family or maybe he actually thought it was a larva; either way, the spirits his church worked with probably sent it back to where it belongs if the trouble stopped.

Demons, many times, do not want to be summoned and/or bound to a particular spot, which is what happened with the ouija board, you effectively called upon it.

The thing with Ouija boards, is that it's very easy to spell the demon's true name and call it, for example (ficticious) John Doe asks "When is the month I will get married?" and then the spelling on the Ouija board goes "Em, Ay, Why....May! I'm getting married in May!!" But what happens is that, by saying (and sometimes even thinking strongly on) on the letters "M" "A" "Y" at a time where everyone is willing to communicate with other planes, you effectively name the demon and call him over this side (at the very least, on the astral or etheric planes), so, you called the demon Emaahwhyy without even noticing!

Of course, you need the intention and the focus, otherwise, cheerleaders all over the world would be demon summoners (lol, there's an idea for a game!). The Ouija is actually a great tool for communication with spirits and for mediation purposes, but someone who hasn't been trained in it's use should never, ever, ever use it, because the things called with it are quite strong, and destroying or getting rid of the board doesn't work; it must always be removed through blessings or exorcism, depending on the strength of the demon.

It's also highly innadvisable to attempt summonings in the attic, because you can contact a lot of airy spirits at the same time (which are 50% evil 50% good), that's only for experienced practitioners, it's always safer to perform things at ground level, where you are closer to protective telluric energies; unless of course, the place is a sacred temple blessed by a very skilled practitioner.

Dalph likes this.
  12. Dalph

First Language:
    Italian Curses
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Frostyfirefly:

Thanks a lot for the expert opinion.

From what I can remember (it was long ago), the priest wasn't an exorcist at all, but just a regular priest, so I think he wasn't competent with those things...it's even possible that he really mistook the demon for a larva.

Apparently the blessing was more than enough to dispose of the monster, since nothing more happened in those 11 years!

The Ouija board was made on a simple paper and although we were very young at that time, I remember that it was well made.

Yes, it's definitely possible that we accidentally spelled the demon's name without noticing (this thing scares the crap out of me).

The whispers were scary as hell and ambiguous too, I remember that it was more likely a male voice, but we couldn't really understand anything at all (not even a word), the sounds didn't make any sense.

We couldn't sleep for 2 weeks after this story, my mother also thought to translocate at first, but then she changed her mind thanks to my father who reassured her.

I was so young and so stupid too, and I haven't thought about the consequences.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 22, 2014
    Susan likes this.
  13. Traveling Bard

Traveling Bard The Bard Veteran

First Language:
    English
    The paranormal experience that I've had is kind of different. It's about having a link with someone. Having someone around you you're whole life but never noticing. Eventually coming together, becoming the best of friends, falling in love, and then feeling the emptiness of loss when they die suddenly.

I first recall seeing her in high school, did the anime slow motion walk/eye lock, then moved on. I remember thinking wow she's hot. Found out later she was one of my friend's cousin. A few years later, we messaged on facebook randomly which turned into a date which turned into seeing each other every day for the next six months and then staying in touch daily until her death. I find out after her death that we actually attended the same daycare at the same time when we were younger. Most likely played together. 

Anyway, the paranormal part. We had these vibes...like we could almost sense each other's emotions even at great distance. I'd be sitting in my room playing a video game and I'd feel this tug on my stomach, I'd call her and find out that something bad had just happened to her and that it's so weird that I called when she was literally dialing my number. That particular scenario occurred all the time. I'd pick up my phone to answer it before she rang. She'd call a split second after I had a fight with the folks or something, etc etc

She had an aura about her. This aura that could make you want to be better. An encouraging yet challenging spirit. Fiery too. Fiercely protective of her friends and family. She once punched out a guy she liked because he got in my face for telling him to apologize for insulting someone. Another instance is when her cousin was drunk and taken home by some guy she didn't like, we drove in the middle of the night...found his apartment...knocked on the door...and she "rescues" her cousin by literally carrying her princess-style to my car before we drove back to her place lol had to stand in the way or she'd have clocked the dude too. During our short time, I feel like I was never so happy as I was when I was around this woman. We weren't together, just close friends...who openly declared our love for each other and the desire to grow old together. Just to have each other in our lives was enough, though given alittle more time...who knows...we had this adventure list of things that we wanted to do together(or our individual families would do together if we didn't end up together) ranging from going to Las Vegas to pretending we weren't poor in order to test drive a really nice car like a BMW or whatever. 

The day she died...I recall that she was kind of down so I spent the day trying to cheer her up via text(since I was at work). She was fighting with this guy that she was seeing who was living the thug life. I had started to talk to a friend of hers because frankly...I wanted to make her jealous. I was young and stupid. So she texted me, asking if I would come over and bring some cigarettes. This was normally an invitation to talk for awhile because she had something on her mind and even though i felt a pull in my stomach...a strong vibe...I ignored it and told her that I'd be over there after I finished hanging out with her friend...20 minutes after that text she accidentally shot herself when bluffing to the guy she was seeing about how serious she was about leaving him. To understand the guilt that I feel, you'd need to know that she was quite literally 5 minutes down the street from where I was. I could easily have gone and none of this would have occurred. After I left the friend's I called & texted, she didn't answer...it was late...i assumed she had just gone to sleep so i went home. 

That night I had a dream that she came in through my window and sat on my couch that she would usually sleep on whenever she came over. She looked at me and I'll remember this till the day I die, "William, it's not your fault. sheep wasn't like that, it just happened." "What happened?" i asked because at this time I didn't know yet... and she just stared at me and smiled "Sorry." she said and then I woke up. I tried to call her, nothing obviously. Called him, nothing obviously. I was freaking out and was about to drive over when the guy called and told me what happened. I drove over and the RAGE....but the man before me was nothing, just a weak guy who watched her pull the trigger...there was really nothing left to beat up so I left and grieved. 

I had another dream that night that we were driving together in my car. I kept looking at her and she smile and was like "dude! watch the road!" it was kind of like a reminder of our adventures driving around in my car and her way of saying that i'll always be here right by your side. At least that's how I interpret it. Every time I visit her stone, I bring a pack of cigarettes(for obvious reasons...) and a white rose. I don't really smoke but I'll light one up for her and one for myself and we'll share a smoke while I tell her about my adventures of late. Perhaps what I experienced was due to loss since they were dreams, no idea about the vibes but i'll tell you that even three years later i still feel a void in me... but these experiences gave me a "bit" of closure and I will never admit that they were anything less than her giving me notice that she was ok, she'd be with me, and that she would be there on the other side waiting for me to get there and swap adventure stories with each other. I usually write her type of character into my stories/games. I also remember one last thing she told me "You love writing stories and you're pretty dayum good at it, so keep doing it. Never stop." and I won't.

Well, that was therapeutic lol, thanks for giving me an outlet.  

14. Frostyfirefly

First Language:
    Spanish
    @Traveling Bard: That story is very touching, too bad she was in that lethal environment, life is too precious to risk it like that. Personally, I don't think it was your fault, maybe if you got there it could have been worse, she could have shot herself in front of you. I hope I'm not too rude suggesting that, but I still don't think you are to blame.

Alexander Amnell likes this.
  15. Traveling Bard

First Language:
    English
    Yeah, some of my friends think that that might have happened but being in my shoes I can't help but think that I could've stopped her if I just had the chance or that if I were there she wouldn't have pulled the gun out like that in the first place, etc etc the scenarios will always run in my head but I've learned to accept what happened despite how much is hurts and just remember the good times. Remember who she was to me. I'll always have my memories and I'll make it so that my friend will live on in my stories as she does in my heart  :)

16. Alexander Amnell

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    @Dalph/Frostyfirefly: I always avoided actually messing with stuff like that because I've read a lot of seemingly unrelated things on the subject that set off a kind of warning in my mind. What is interesting is that a lot of prominent religions and writings from past 'orders' that are out there to read seem to mirror each other when it comes to evil spirits in a surprising number of ways, even religious texts that are from a time where the two had no contact with each other seem to fit this. One idea that stands out almost universally is that for spirits (whether called demons, shadows, Jjinn, or whatever, there are tons of them) there is a concept that is talked about repeatedly that these entities use heightened emotions in order to latch onto people in some way. 

Then I read from the perspective of people who base their beliefs off of communicating with 'good spirits' and such. The rituals that they use for worship appear to be designed for one purpose in particular, which is heightening a certain emotion into an extreme state by bombarding most if not all senses with stimuli of some sort. Every time my curiosity tried to get the better of me I got a picture in my mind of manipulating creatures just waiting to latch onto me while I curiously try to communicate with something else that I have no prior way of even validating the existence of, so that whole path has just been one particular vein of curiosity that I never made any attempts to either validate or refute (which is a rarity in my life, usually I try to sort things out as much as I am able to).

@Traveling Bard: Outlets are rarely a bad thing. I agree with your friend and Frostyfirefly, nothing that happens in life is ever as cut-and-dry obvious as it can appear to us looking back. I've experienced a few losses already in life and have even watched a man die once. It's really easy after a situation like that to tell yourself that if you'd just done X differently then things would have worked out better, that X would have fixed everything, I've come to believe that this is almost never true, when things like that happen there is usually a lot more going on than your own personal perception (even after the fact, when you think you can see exactly how you could have prevented it, there are parts of the story that you probably can't see because they aren't a part of your viewpoint.) and you never really know how your 'intervention' might change these other factors since that's not what happened. 

A person can break their mind focusing on thoughts like this. I think that regardless of whether there really was something you could have done or not, your friend wanted you to move on and not blame yourself for what happened. Maybe you could have done 'something' but then again maybe what you think that you could do would in reality solve nothing or make a worse situation later down the line, it isn't worth it to shoulder the kind of grief that comes with believing that you could have prevented a situation like this and it's not what she would have wanted for you either. Revel in the memories you made with her but try not to let cause and effect scenarios taint the relationship the two of you built together in life.

I think I have to revise my claim that I've only experienced one unexplained occurrence in my life now because a part of your story feels very familiar to me personally and when I think about it it really is unexplained. The bond the two of you shared and the 'vibes' you would pick up about each other's emotional state stick out to me because I've experienced something similar to that as well. My wife and I can sometimes pick up on each other in a similar way. The best example I can think of is the day I quit my job at Wal-mart near the end of 2006. That morning we had a great time together and I was nothing but happy, but at work I had a horrible day that ended in me becoming so emotionally drained I couldn't take it anymore and I quit. On my way to the car she called me, and the first words out of her mouth were "what's wrong?" without any questions to determine what was going on or how I felt, even though from her last experience with me she had no reason to think I was anything less than happy she knew that I was miserable. Another time about a year ago I remember waking up and feeling like something was wrong with my youngest daughter, who was less than a year old at the time. She wasn't crying or making any noises or anything on the baby monitor, something just didn't feel right so I got out of bed to discover she was running a high fever. 

When I think about it in context I can consider these types of experiences as paranormal in that they can't just be verbally explained in regards to how they work. However the experiences themselves just feel somewhat natural to me, as if there is nothing at all strange or unusual about them. (I actually feel the opposite, that being without them would actually be somehow unnatural and disturbing.) 

Frostyfirefly likes this.
  17. Frostyfirefly

First Language:
    Spanish
    @Alexander: You've been wise not to mess around with it, it's kinda like messing around with chemical compounds, mistakes can result in deadly things. I hope people will excuse me for saying that, in my opinion, the majority of religions are partly to blame for the confusion of what spirits, demons, angels, faeries, elementals, etc. are. Sometimes they relate them directly to concepts like sin or virtue, other times they immediately portray them as bad when some of them aren't, other times they portray them as good when some of them aren't. 

They are independent entities, separated from all dogma and doctrine, like you and me, beings that exist and have objectives, ambitions, fears, etc. 

Emotions do play an important part in magical workings, the problem is a lot of the most deceitful entities may trick you with strong emotions of passion, love and devotion, making you worship them. It's part of the hebrew mysteries of not worshipping another besides God. This means, in my personal experience and views, that gods, angels and other entities may become advisors, teachers, guardians, but you shouldn't make sacrifices or worship them, or "bad entities" will appear and will trick you into servitude. This is quite common where I live (Mexico), where people worship all sorts of dead and deceased calling them "santos" (saints), when they are actually beings that lure you away from your concept of God, etc. 

This also explains why so many "exorcists" have so much trouble facing off against even minor demons, because they place their fate in objects or idols that are easily shattered, insulted, cast away, played around with, by the demon. So, the would be exorcist is facing the demon saying "in the name of Roger Rabbit, go away!!!" and the demon is like "hahaha!!!". Ah, but when you earnestly come into contact with your concept of God, you should see how they become really, really frightened. There also powerful symbols and seemingly nonsensical words, that hold great power over them, they can be somewhat understood from a mathematical and artistic perspective.

If you felt uneasy trying occult stuff out, it may have been your Guardian Angel, warning you of danger. Occult disciplines are used with a purpose, if you don't feel like practicing them, it's probably because it's not your purpose to use them yet. However, I believe all people work with their own energies and spirits at some time or another, even if they don't realize it; you are involved with veterinarian work, am I correct? Maybe you are working closer to your totem than you imagine.   

18. Traveling Bard

First Language:
    English
    My father was a religious man, a missionary actually. A quote I have from him is something that I try to live by when it comes to spirits (demons, djinns, etc) and that is "If you go looking for trouble, you will most likely find it and regret that you ever did." Not to say you shouldn't be resolute in defending yourself should you happen to encounter these spirits in your every day life or they try to get a hold of those close to you. He told me that you can't give them a foothold, show fear, or be anything other than resolute in rebuking them from your home in name of Jesus. That's my belief, to each their own with no judgement. I feel like in the end religions are different as they are similar and I personally would never look to insult someone else's religion or beliefs, I will merely act on my own. Crazy world we live in, so much we don't understand you know? lol

Edit: of course I'm talking about evil spirits that would look to cause you or ones you love fear or harm. I do believe that there are good things out there too. And a hell of a lot of things that I don't understand haha but that's the mysteries of life I guess :)

19. Tsaiuki North

Tsaiuki North Eyes Of Thirteen Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Well, I have one that comes to mind, that can't really be explained well...

I was born with a severe detachement/depersonalization issue. I still have it.

Something happened when I was around 2 years old. I don't recall all the details, but there was someone talking to me. A man, woman, I don't know who it was. I just remember a presence. They were talking about extra planar things, like dimensions, universes, and subconscious levels/planes...

Back then, the strange thing is, I knew what they were talking about. I already knew about all that... It wasn't news to me. I don't know if I was discussing it with them or not. I don't recall..

Regardless, to this day, I have a heavy disability that I can't really explain, and that is that my sight sees into several different planes/realities, all the time. I'm connected to many many different people, and feel like I've lived hundreds of lives, all in the limited amount of time I've actually been alive in this life. 

It's been passed off as a form of schizo, but I have waking dreams about everything, regarding different people, who are consistent, and flowing. They aren't like normal sleeping dreams, where one night is completely irrelevent to another. They are worlds that are progressive, and have their own mechanics/events/places, etc..

I fall into these worlds constantly, and the best way to describe it, is just that... A dream while you're still awake.

I'm still aware of my surroundings to a point that I'm not unaware, but I can't pay attention to any details, or keep information, because my mind is always been flooded with information and occurrences from these "other dimensions".

I don't really leave my house much, because I get lost, and confused. I can't go to school, etc. 

But that occurrence mainly, around that age, is what boggles my mind. I don't know who that was, and I can't even remember the details, but I've always had that memory, as far back as I can recall. It's always been there, even though I don't know if it actually happened or not..

I was talking about it to someone when I was three, and they were rather confused. I was kind of a late speaker, which made it even more strange... I've tried getting into writing and drawing about these things, but for some reason I just can't get myself to do so. It's like whenever I want to reveal things, in the back of my head, I tell myself, "eh. no point."

Anyway. That is why I'm into rpgmaker right now. I have plans, and too much content. I don't really have to make anything up, as it comes to me on it's own. hundreds of people, places, events, all that. I'm just trying to find ways to organize it together. (A lot of that information is from the same universe, but different times, etc. Those that aren't, are still linked to another. Events that cross universe' etc). 

Regardless, there it is. I don't really tell this to many, and I don't fight or argue it, and actually try to live against it, but it is an unexplained occurrence that has grown to be me.

Frostyfirefly and Darr123 like this.
  20. Frostyfirefly

First Language:
    Spanish
    @Luminaire: That sounds really tough, and very similar to some cases where consciousness or the sense of "being" never fully integrated with the physical body. It is a hindrance, because you may get lost in all those sights related to different realities, but if you remain calm and find a way through all that mess, it is possible to control it. It's similar to the mystery of Odhin, the well-known norse god who left one of his eyes on the spiritual dimension, so he could see both the physical and spiritual nature of things.

If you find balance and harmony, you may become a skilled astral traveller and maybe even skilled in areas of emotional healing and understanding what will happen in the future based on past patterns.

I remember watching a case on tv a long time ago, about a woman who could see the spiritual world so clearly, she actually had to drive very slowly, because she would sometimes confuse spirits with humans and didn't know if someone was standing in the middle of the road. Later on, she got the hang of it and learned to "close" her eyes to that spiritual relaity at will.

Thanks for sharing your case, it soulds very complex.

Tsaiuki North likes this.