Unintended "cheese play" with multi-hit skill (WORKAROUND FEATURE COMPLETE)

Discussion in 'RPG Maker MV' started by BreakerZero, Apr 10, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BreakerZero

BreakerZero Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English (USA)
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Exactly as it sounds. And for those not understanding of the reference, basically what happens is that I just implemented a total fourth-wall buster for what's set to happen during the final encounter of my project which has an unintended, instant-win glitch. What happens in my case is that the one most at fault in relation to the events going into my project is literally just another citizen who happened to go down the wrong path over an otherwise routine search for personal insight. That's not to say that her complete lack of a traditional shape-shifting ability or inner beast makes her any less dangerous, as pushing her to the limit still forces you to face off against what is essentially a Gundam-style mobility battle unit.

Which brings me to the point of this request: once you get to that part of the fight it's obviously supposed to be a pain in the [blank] to deal with. Unfortunately, just after I implemented this I ran into a very annoying glitch - instead of being a challenge, the massive warrior titan goes full Achilles when hit by the lead crew member's technical consecutive attack (specifically, it's a one-shot, "multiple targets" kind of skill e.g. three random enemies at once). And I have no idea why - even verified the definitions to see what if anything is going on.

Admittedly it could also be related to a plugin issue but obviously I want to rule out anything else first.

2. Jules98

Jules98 Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Dutch
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    You really should provide some screenshots of the database entries of the skill and enemy (perhaps class, actor and weapon as well), because right now we are as much in the dark about this as you are.

That said, I do know that these 'hit x random enemies' need to be balanced for the fact that they'll hit the same enemy multiple times if only one enemy is present.

3. BreakerZero

First Language:
    English (USA)
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Good point - probably should've provided examples. Anyway, here's what I've got. The censored portions aren't in any way extreme in case you're wondering, but I don't want to expose any unnecessary information (read: spoiler material) either.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    EDIT: As a side note, with this being the final boss the crew leader's specially-acquired blade is obviously supposed to be worth double damage per hit (and by hence the 200% elemental damage specification) and that no other elemental damage definition will even dare penetrate the battle machine's defensive mechanisms.

EDIT 2: Forgot to mention this but it also happens with rollover damage if the skill's effects haven't fully processed, meaning that health deductions not accounted for at the time of transition are applied to start the battle titan phase. That in turn will effectively and immediately "go cheese" before she even has a chance to fight back. (Think Yellow Devil meets flash-frame thunderbeam for an established comparison to what's happening in my definitions.)

Last edited: Apr 10, 2019
  4. Restart

Restart Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    '3 random enemies' allows a skill to double-up, so it can hit the same target multiple times (and, in fact, if there's only a single target, that's what it will always do).

You can either get cute with plugins to make a more elaborate targeting system that doesn't double up (it'd take some work but yanfly's stuff can do it), or do what final fantasy 5 did for its final boss, and have a bunch of tiny decoy targets to eat up random attacks.

5. BreakerZero

First Language:
    English (USA)
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Considering that I already have it set to interrupt battle flow with the start of each round (like with the transition points in DQ4 when the final boss literally loses its head and arms and so forth) I'd say that combining the two issues into a shared resolution may be the way to go. However, that still doesn't say anything about it happening on the next turn for simply activating the skill (which also requires a focus charge to even be activated in the first place) and the one-hit version (which requires maximum focus charge) doesn't have this issue. As for the implementation, I may need an example setup to use as a guide for this.

EDIT: Considering the lack of further response on this I'm also considering the prospect of writing this into the plot as what you have to do if you hope to win the fight. In other words, I'm considering a move to max out its HP to where it's pointless to expect a conventional strategy to work.

EDIT 2: As a side note, I think the best way to do this alternative design is to find a way to blacklist certain skills during the part just before the battle titan unloads on you.

EDIT 3: I also noticed that it seems to be happening during the phase just before the change in strategy so I'm going to change things up and phase in the restriction as a part of the process.

EDIT 4: And I have my setup finished and completely implemented. The way it works in my implementation (and I had to do some analysis on this) is that at the end of parts one and two a special skill definition is used in conjunction with mirror entries for the boss in question that correspond to the skill definitions. After each applicable phase the dupes are cycled in, the corresponding skill is activated (using Force Action of course) and then switched back with the next mirror definition (meaning the one for that part of the battle).

EDIT 5: Once I verify this with a final play test against the boss - and finish adjusting the difficulty balance - this request will officially be done. I will issue a "feature complete" notice to the mods upon completion and will not accept any further response concerning this matter.

EDIT 6: And it's done. Once I cross check that the boss is set to do as it should with the higher amount of HP to force the strategy this will effectively be feature complete and so I am now closing this matter out. Thanks again for the input!

Last edited: Apr 15, 2019 at 9:09 PM
  6. slimmmeiske2

slimmmeiske2 Little Red Riding Hood Moderator

First Language:
    Dutch
    Primarily Uses:
    RMXP

This thread is being closed, due to being solved. If for some reason you would like this thread re-opened, please report this post and leave a message why. Thank you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.