Unique character advancement

luscian

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Not sure if there's a similar topic or even this exact one somewhere else but if it is I couldn't find it. Anyway I'm trying to add in a system that moves away from standard leveling to gain skills. If anyone has ever played chrono cross I want to do something like that. Where to use a skill it needs to be equipped but there are only a limited number of slots for each character and a multitude of skills available. So there is a limited number of slots each with its own maximum spell teir. And when a character levels up instead of getting a new skill they get a new slot to equip any of the available skills in. For example at level 1 you have one lvl1 slot that you can put a lvl1 spell into and at lvl 2 you get a second lvl 1 slot so you can put on two lvl 1 spells and then at lvl 3 you get a lvl 2 slot that you can put either a lvl 1 or a lvl 2 spell into and so on. I was wondering a script like this or similar to this exists somewhere already or if it sounds even remotely possible for someone with a small amount of coding experience to create it in a reasonable amount of time?

For those of you interested the application of my leveling system is focused to allow the player to equip for situations and prepare rather than have a designated healer a designated fire user and so on. By having these slots unlock in a characters gear as the get stronger (just kind of a rough idea I haven't ironed it out yet as I don't even know if it's possible)

luscian

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Alright thank you for the quick reply. Those are deffinetly the right concept I'll play around with them and see if I like the result. If anyone has a suggestion to make where the Equipable spells work like items (again referencing chrono cross) please let me know.

Sketch XII

Sketchy
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
You lost me a bit at level 3 with the consistency... but from what I understand (I don't normally play turn based RPG games), it sounds like something that can just be done with events, like;

Common Event\Parallel

(limit) = (actor level)

Conditional branch

{ B button is being pressed

Wait 1 frame

Conditional branch

{ (spell item) is equipped

Conditional branch

{ (item space) is less than (limit)

Turn on (item exists)

Learn (spell)

Add (item space)

{ if not

Unequip (spell item)

{ if not

Conditional branch

{ (item exists) is on

Unlearn (spell)

Subtract (item space)

Turn off (item exists)

or something as to that, replacing some things in parenthesis with routes to other common events based on which items if there are a lot.

The B button and wait 1 frame is so it just checks directly after you finish changing your equipment through the pause screen.

Last edited by a moderator:

luscian

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I was hoping to use a custom graphical overlay for it like have anot entire section of menus dedicated to it. Here's a link to screenshot of chrono cross and the spell equip

gridhttp://vignette4.wikia.nocookie.net/chrono/images/9/97/Element_Grid_Allocation_Example.png/revision/latest?cb=20110712223853

So the first column is for lvl 1 spells let's say fireball then the second column is for lvl 2 spells let's say magmaball and so on the trick is that you can only equip up so you can put fireball in column two but you can't put magmaball in column one

And the list on the right is the list of available item you can put into a slot. More slots and higher level slots are unlocked as you level up or make progress allowing for more spells and higher level ones.

Hopefully that explains a bit better what I was looking for. I don't want to blantently rip off this idea I just want something similar

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

10/24 done :3 Maybe I can finish 11 and 12 this weekend^^
Been updating my game's control scheme to optionally use a mouse. Now the player pixel moves towards the mouse destination, which looks super sweet with the sparkles. Also turns out I made a Mouse Common Event plugin at some point... Thanks past me. :LZSexcite: Now the mouse wheel cycles different forms, and the right mouse button activates that form's special. :LZScool:
Oh man the controls in Mario Sunshine are pretty awful and I haven't even witnessed the controls without FLUDD

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MxMachine