Unique setting for an RPG maker game.

grubsky

Pleb
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I've just started to get into the rpg maker scene, and I've noticed that most of the cool, unique, games I've seen have very unique settings, for example the art gallery in Ib. I've got "developer's block" for what to do. I've heard the best place to start is the setting, so I've come here for ideas. Thanks RPG maker forums!

SwarleyPilgrim

Internet Billionaire
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
@grubsky
- Idea jam! Here we gooo!    There's literally no bad place to have as your setting. The game I'm working on takes place in towns all based on the bigger holidays of the world. Do you want it to be a general idea? Normal towns in a huge world, or are you looking for different locals? A library level, a train level, a level in SPACE! =o        The sky isn't even the limit when it comes to this bizznass.

grubsky

Pleb
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
@grubsky
- Idea jam! Here we gooo!    There's literally no bad place to have as your setting. The game I'm working on takes place in towns all based on the bigger holidays of the world. Do you want it to be a general idea? Normal towns in a huge world, or are you looking for different locals? A library level, a train level, a level in SPACE! =o        The sky isn't even the limit when it comes to this bizznass.

Well, let me rephrase my topic. I'd like a unique setting for a unique game. Not to be rude or anything, but I'm kinda getting tired of a okay, you've done everything in this town, go to the next one kinda game. I want a setting my players can get lost in, not a mishmash of different themed towns and NPCs. Do you know where i'm coming from? (P.S. Your game sounds like The Nightmare Before Christmas)

SwarleyPilgrim

Internet Billionaire
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
@grubsky

- Why not try to do something super open worlded? Make a fairly big map with your normal towns, but instead of restricting where they go, use Zelda as an influence. Give them options as to where they can go, and what they can do. (The game makes a lot of jokes toward the similarities to The Nightmare Before Christmas)

grubsky

Pleb
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
@grubsky

- Why not try to do something super open worlded? Make a fairly big map with your normal towns, but instead of restricting where they go, use Zelda as an influence. Give them options as to where they can go, and what they can do. (The game makes a lot of jokes toward the similarities to The Nightmare Before Christmas)

Well, I think I want to make a very story-driven game, so I think an open world would conflict with that.

SwarleyPilgrim

Internet Billionaire
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
@grubsky

- It doesn't have to be! Might be interesting to see an open world style RPG that's very story heavy. The players will have to learn where people and places are in order to get the game to move forward. Could be super interesting if you go about it the right way =o

grubsky

Pleb
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
@grubsky

- It doesn't have to be! Might be interesting to see an open world style RPG that's very story heavy. The players will have to learn where people and places are in order to get the game to move forward. Could be super interesting if you go about it the right way =o

Well, another thing I'm worried about is being too ambitious. Having a more linear game seems like a easier way to convey my story.

SwarleyPilgrim

Internet Billionaire
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
@grubsky

- That's fair! What about a game that takes place in the one town? The NPC's could slowly become more and more useful or aggresive depending on how the story goes. Different places within the town could be the places your characters visit. Locked buildings, secret entrances, password protected stuff. A game like that wouldn't have the basic "go to town, speak to NPC's, move on" feel to it at all!

grubsky

Pleb
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
@grubsky

- That's fair! What about a game that takes place in the one town? The NPC's could slowly become more and more useful or aggresive depending on how the story goes. Different places within the town could be the places your characters visit. Locked buildings, secret entrances, password protected stuff. A game like that wouldn't have the basic "go to town, speak to NPC's, move on" feel to it at all!

Are you using "town" as a general word for any location?

SwarleyPilgrim

Internet Billionaire
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
@grubsky

- I am, yeah. Sorry about that. Like I said, the local could literally be anywhere. A military base, a library, an underwater city that was captured by aliens and now only exists in the space between someone's computer desk and their wall. Literally whatever comes into your mind.

grubsky

Pleb
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I'm not sure what to use though. I know I want it to be unique, but I also want it to be something I can make my own. Generalizations are good, but i'm looking to brainstorm ideas.

BigToastie

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
The problem with asking for a unique idea for a game is that, if its unique I doubt people would want to share it :p

To me, I love cliche RPG style games (final fantasy-esque) but my idea for you is:

But off the top of my head (I dont know what your skill levels are in game creation etc) do a monster hunter like game? an open world map, you can go anywhere and try to take out monsters/collect for your collection (this way it takes off the restrictions of bouncing between towns)

Add in a monster book + rewards for filling it instead of quests (or in addition too)

Create a crafting system where certain weapons only damage certain types of monster (so you need to think about your fights)

Don't make it level dependant - get rewards / drops that boost your stats or give exp towards a skill 

Hope this helps :3

grubsky

Pleb
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
The problem with asking for a unique idea for a game is that, if its unique I doubt people would want to share it :p

To me, I love cliche RPG style games (final fantasy-esque) but my idea for you is:

But off the top of my head (I dont know what your skill levels are in game creation etc) do a monster hunter like game? an open world map, you can go anywhere and try to take out monsters/collect for your collection (this way it takes off the restrictions of bouncing between towns)

Add in a monster book + rewards for filling it instead of quests (or in addition too)

Create a crafting system where certain weapons only damage certain types of monster (so you need to think about your fights)

Don't make it level dependant - get rewards / drops that boost your stats or give exp towards a skill 

Hope this helps :3

I see your point. I think i want to focus more on my game's story than the gameplay itself right now. However, you bring an interesting idea to the table.

I think the way I want to go about this is that I put the character in an environment that their goal is to get out of, but as they go, the player become accustomed to the environment so when i's finally time to leave, they almost don't want to go. I think that would be cool.

SwarleyPilgrim

Internet Billionaire
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
@BigToastie

- You hit the nail on the head there! If someone has a super unique idea, it's very likely that they'll want to keep it to themselves!

@grubsky

- The best I can really offer you is to play some games! Get a feel for what other people are making, and just wait for that incredible idea to click! If you're patient, a great idea will come to you eventually!

grubsky

Pleb
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
@BigToastie

- You hit the nail on the head there! If someone has a super unique idea, it's very likely that they'll want to keep it to themselves!

@grubsky

- The best I can really offer you is to play some games! Get a feel for what other people are making, and just wait for that incredible idea to click! If you're patient, a great idea will come to you eventually!

Sounds good. Purely coincidentally, i also made a thread asking about good rpg maker games to try.

No one's responded yet xD.

BigToastie

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
I see your point. I think i want to focus more on my game's story than the gameplay itself right now. However, you bring an interesting idea to the table.

I think the way I want to go about this is that I put the character in an environment that their goal is to get out of, but as they go, the player become accustomed to the environment so when i's finally time to leave, they almost don't want to go. I think that would be cool.

That would be a cool idea to be fair.

(sorry for the cliche setting): Say you are kidnapped in a massive, spectacular castle, but you don't know you are a prisoner in this place, you slowly uncover clues in the castle while venturing round you also get given lots of gifts and rewards but then you eventually find out, you were stolen from your original family and brought to this castle.

You now want to get out, and find your family, or do you? would you really be better off?

This way you could branch it to 2 different stories, you try escape and find your family and your kidnappers want you back and your objective is to escape 

or you stay but your 'hosts' don't see a real purpose for you after they had looked after you, and now want rid of you, but you don't want to leave (so you try to acheive certain objectives with NPCS who are trying to keep you hidden without being spotted by guards etc.)

Last edited by a moderator:

grubsky

Pleb
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
That would be a cool idea to be fair.

(sorry for the cliche setting): Say you are kidnapped in a massive, spectacular castle, but you don't know you are a prisoner in this place, you slowly uncover clues in the castle while venturing round you also get given lots of gifts and rewards but then you eventually find out, you were stolen from your original family and brought to this castle.

You now want to get out, and find your family, or do you? would you really be better off?

This way you could branch it to 2 different stories, you try escape and find your family and your kidnappers want you back and your objective is to escape 

or you stay but your 'hosts' don't see a real purpose for you after they had looked after you, and now want rid of you, but you don't want to leave!

Interesting. That idea could work well with a lot of other good settings, for example, a factory.

BigToastie

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
Interesting. That idea could work well with a lot of other good settings, for example, a factory.

exactly I just wanted to pitch with a scenario :)  hope I helped ^.^ and goodluck on your game making :)

grubsky

Pleb
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
exactly I just wanted to pitch with a scenario :)  hope I helped ^.^ and goodluck on your game making :)

thanks toastie

(it's not like the thread is closed or anything. There may be more people with the same problem, and frankly, i'd love to hear some more ideas.)

Last edited by a moderator:

Emmych

forever rotting in the shamecube, floating eternal
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Anglais~
Primarily Uses
imo smaller and deeper is better!  A game doesn't have to be globe spanning to be good.  I'd rather play something located in one town or city, but have that town/city be incredibly deep and detailed.  Gimme NPCs with depth and whom I can get to know. 

I guarantee you, do this and you will already have some uniqueness apart from most rpg maker games. 

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

I decided to create reboots of my games on RPG Maker MV. I'm happy. :biggrin:
So, as i finish setting up my items for part 1 of my game, I realized I forgot to finalize an ENTIRE category of items. Know which ones? The Fallen Feathers....BTW my game is called "Fallen Feather"
and_remember_tomorrow_exploding_puzzle_logo.jpg

Made some new friends, and blew up a puzzle... Happens. :LZSwink:
A new RPG Maker music pack is coming out soon! Below is a demo of one of the compositions in the pack, Heroic Battle. More details coming soon!

Trying to build a child-size body. Mostly happy with it except the sideview arms - can't get them to move quite right yet. Anyway, here's the work-in-progress, with an adult for size comparison.
ChildTest-01.gif

I started in VXAce and I liked how the kids flapped their arms so that's why it's just flapping.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
strawbies