Unity games and the rescent zero effort trend with stock assets

Clord

Nya~
Veteran
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
Just to clarify. I don't personally mind that much that this shovelware thing is going on but it just caught my attention a huge way especially after Jim Sterling started to spam videos about them.

Also now that you can refund your purchase in Steam more than once, it's up to a customer to back off when they find that a game is crap.

Last edited by a moderator:

AceOfAces_Mod

Engineering to infinity!
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Greek
Primarily Uses
RMMV
My thoughts about this boils down to this video:

I don't mind developers using Pre Made Assets, as long as they do their own twist. Simply having an asset the meat of the game is quite the deal breaker (or you give me  the impression that you stole something if ask me to pay to play it).

Zanthia

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Good games can be made with either engine. But recently we've seen alot more casual hobbyists deciding they are professional game makers and posting what they have on steam greenlight, for example. 

I think that at the moment Unity might a bit more of a problem because to make a good RM game you need a decent story, because that's what the engine lends itself to (it's not graphically impressive, it takes a lot of effort something really engaging within the gameplay alone, it's more about writing(imagine To the Moon with a rushed story, suddenly A to D as a game imo)and observing things. But writing that takes time, and the hobbyists trying to push something onto the market in a month or less cannot be bothered. There are plenty of pretty terrible games on RM but I think that quite a lot of them had more thought put into them than the terrible Unity games we see. (example, there was a sample clicker game on unity, it was a copy of cookie click pretty much, and someone tried to sell it on steam, the only difference make was the graphic of the cookie. I have no doubt that it was a scam, but oh dear I hope noone has even done that with a RPG Maker game sample. I don't want to take sides hugly here but the terrible RPG Maker games I've seen have had more effort put into them than the really terrible unity games. Maybe I'm just looking in the wrong places. 

sabao

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Filipino
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Most if not all faults pointed out about shovelware made with Unity pretty much applies in RM too. I think the only real difference is Unity gets a lot more press about it because, well, it's Unity. While both RM and Unity are both very much capable of high-quality games, I think the former holds a much more niche audience. Unity's market size and its more 'professional' rap just mean there's probably going to be more prominent examples of it and greater scrutiny from the market. I work with both myself, and find it's pretty much the same story on both sides. As the Unity CEO has pointed out, it's not the engine's fault. We get as much crappy RM games as Unity does.

dungeon diver

[ TRASH ELEMENTAL ]
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I think the big difference with Unity is the way that assets are packed. They are released as practically standalone games, meant to be "filled in" and expanded upon with assets of the buyer's creation. Of course since the licenses for these asset packs allow the buyer to sell any and all parts of the asset pack, this means that many scam "developers" such as the now infamous Digital Homicide will simply flip the asset pack itself onto the market.

Since they bought data and the right to distribute it, they rapidly overcome the cost of buying the asset pack and make a profit for minimal work.

Engr. Adiktuzmiko

Chemical Engineer, Game Developer, Using BlinkBoy'
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Tagalog
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
This happened before in RM, mainly because you know RM is so accessible. Right now, Unity seems to be more accessible too than before which is probably why we are seeing that same event happening in Unity.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Not an RPG Maker Update but I'm happy to say that I finally passed my drivers written test. Which makes me a happy guy.
FWRu-cYXkAAAUbl
Have you ever been in such a luck streak you felt fear something was wrong?
I'm going to be adding in combat animations, revamping the UI and putting in a new cutscene this week, so this is your last chance to play the MC:RIS demo in its original form! Say you were there since the beginning! https://qos.itch.io/infinite-sadness
I added reflections and shadows. Though one of the party seems to have no reflection, is floating, with glowing eyes. I'm sure it's fine.
p7O1sjG.png
Well. *That* was an entertaining fustercluck — and that’s not meant nearly as sarcastically as it sounds. I just had to make four different versions of the same conversation:
1: Attained MacGuffin.
2: Have not attained MacGuffin, but know its location.
3: Do not know MacGuffin’s location, but have a good idea where to find it.
4: Do not know where to look for MacGuffin.
Yep, feels good to be back. ^.^

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
caihong201814