Unofficial Bug Report Thread (VX Ace)

Discussion in 'Tech Support-All Makers' started by Kapik, Mar 18, 2012.

Tags:
  1. Kapik

Kapik Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Russian
    Why hello there! A quick search didn't reveal an official bug report thread, so I'm starting an unofficial one. I'm kinda new here, so if there's a more appropriate way to handle this, let me know. Probably some of them were already reported. Anyway, after toying with Ace for a couple of hours I've spotted a few mistakes/errors/bugs, mostly minor.

Here's the list:

• Dunno if this is a real bug, most probably I'm just doing it wrong, but it seems to me that the Change Class event command doesn't quite work as intended. In the help file it says:
      However, when I tried to use it, the actor's level was reset to 1 and he kept all his skills...
    • In the Character Generator there isn't a face part for Beard Type 4.
    • Some untranslated Japanese: using message of skill 070:Starlight is はスターライトを唱えた!
    • The sample map CastleiExteriorj has this curious note: 内装「城(内装):1F」「城(内装):2F」に対応.
    • Speaking of sample maps... What's up with those weird i's and j's at the end of some words?
    • A couple of spelling errors: enemy 005 in the database is called Rate.
    • In the RTP battlers there's a file named Gayzer.png... I'm pretty sure the correct spelling is Gazer (anyhow that's what the enemy is called in the database) and some sensitive folk may even find this kind of error offensive...

Well, that's it for now. As you can see nothing major and that probably means it can easily be fixed. Hopefully it will be fixed, soon..

Now, feel free to expand the list. Sooner spotted, sooner fixed. Right?

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 19, 2012
  2. Lunarea

Lunarea Artist Global Mod

Hi Kapik!

I've gone ahead and moved your thread to Programs discussion. The Ace support forum is intended for asking and answering questions regarding eventing etc. We have really fantastic Degica employees around, so I'm sure they'll make note of your bug reports and work with EB to get them fixed.

3. Mihel

Mihel Veteran Veteran

4. Touchfuzzy

Touchfuzzy Rantagonist Staff Member Lead Eagle

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Mihel, if you can list where things were found as well that would be nice. Such as (EVENT/Control Variables/Game Data/Other/Mouseover Text) for instance for what you just put up.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 19, 2012
  5. Mihel

Mihel Veteran Veteran

Ah sure. Control Variables > Game Data > Other.

6. Jay_NOLA

Jay_NOLA Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Line 31 of Sprite_Picture in the Script Editor is missing the add "if Bitmap" text to fix it, even in the newest version. I uninstalled, both Ace and the RTP for Ace and installed the new version and when creating a new game the fix is still missing in newly created games.

I'm not sure if this is a spelling error or a choice to keep a mistranslated word deliberately. in the database the Enemy Sahagin but the correct spelling is Sahuagin. It comes from D&D but the name got mistranslated in the Final Fantasy series of games. See the Wiki link for details. This possible name misspelling is in the VX and XP makers too.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sahuagin

In the Book RPG Maker for Teens, by Michael Duggan it is recommend to change the name in VX to Deep One as they resemble those from Lovecraft's stories.

The Sahuagin in D&D are supposed to be based a bit on the Maori folklore of the under-sea goblin the Ponaturi.

Some of the Skill names don't fit exactly and could be described with a better name.. Examples Yorodoshi & Chakra.

In the database in the Terms tab under Armor Types the word Armor is incorrectly spelled Armour in entries 01, 02, & 03.

Two spelling errors that were pointed out in early posts found in the Enemies tab in the database are also in a few entries in the Troops Tab. Rat is incorrectly spelled Rate & Sahuagin is incorrectly Sahagin.

In the Skills Tab entries 25, 75, & 79 are blank.

A sentence or two description for each of the sample classes needs to be added to the Note section as some are not obvious by just the name.

Class note, the Monk sample class appears to be based on the Monk found in D&D. The Monk class in D&D was an attempt to make a class based on some of the characters found in the Destroyer series of books and various martial arts movies. It is not a western monk.

Note, the word Giant or Monster could be added before the given name to a few of the enemies found in the Enemies and Troops tab to better describe it.

A few items on the older VX tiles are not on the VX Ace tiles.

Battle Count isn’t described in the Event Commands/ Game Progress section of the Help file.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 17, 2012
  7. Mihel

Mihel Veteran Veteran

There's no text shown for Yes/No option in Animations > Cell Batch > Flip.

8. Kitsune Zeta

Kitsune Zeta Resident Fox Member

First Language:
    English (US)
    Tooltip error, help file contradictory information, both compounded by stock script oddity:

When defining enemy action patterns, the tooltip for condition Turn Number A + B *X claims that setting A=0 and B=0 (making Turn 0 + 0 *X) has no meaning, signifying the time before the first turn of battle, which is incorrect, as it specifies ONLY on the first turn when defining enemy behavior. The help file (F1) also erroneously contradicts the tooltip elsewhere, claiming that the first time a Turn Number A + B *X condition would be satisfied is after A + B turns instead of after A turns.

This is made even more confusing by the stock script handling the condition, written in such a way that any Turn Number conditional of the form 0 + B *X ( for nonzero values of B ) will always return false on the first turn [again, completely stock script]. The specific check in question is located on Game_Enemy, line 195 (the definition itself for the condition starts on line 190). The reason this becomes an issue (thank you, Lone Wolf) is because enemy actions are checked BEFORE the turn increments, so the actions are checked at "turn 0" but executed on "turn 1" (BattleManager, lines 278 through 295)

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2012
  9. Liak

Liak Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
  10. Jay_NOLA

Jay_NOLA Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    The Japanese version has a entry VXAce_SP1 in the script editor under Materials that fixes several bugs. This is missing in the 1.01a English version. If it is added in a future English release some of the Japanese text needs to be translated into English that is in the script.

Notes: The Japanese VXAce_SP1 entry does work with the English 1.01a if it is added to the Script Editor. The Japanese site recommends adding this script to all previous VXAce games to bring them up to 1.01a and fix bugs and has the script posted on it.

In the Help File in Class Settings the Quick Setting text doesn't explain the differences between the five value parameters (A through F)

If you give a class the skill Dual Attack, Double Attack, or Triple Attack from the skills in the database it doesn't show up as an option you can chose in combat.

You have to change Skill Type from "None" to something else that the actor has.

The same issue can exists with the Escape & Wait skills, but I think those are intended only for NPCs (enemies).

11. Liak

Liak Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    I think that's supposed to be like that. You need a command in battle to show the skills, after all.

12. BigEd781

BigEd781 undefined method 'stupid_title' found for nil:NilC Veteran

First Language:
    Dothraki
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Can you expand on this for me a bit please? I don't understand it as it is currently worded and I don't see an error in Sprite_Picture at that line.

13. Jay_NOLA

Jay_NOLA Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Hey BigEd781,

The Sprite_Picture bug was pointed out in this thread along with the text that needed to be changed for it to work..

http://forums.rpgmak...__fromsearch__1

The fixed text from what I gather was supposed to be put into the 1.01a version, but the text line still isn't corrected and you have to fix it every time you make a game.

In the Japanese version the "VXAce_SP1" script address this and some other bugs from what it says on the website if you translate it..

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 28, 2012
  14. TheBeardyMan

TheBeardyMan Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    The word wrapping in the text editor for adding a Ruby script as an event command is not purely cosmetic; the newlines that it inserts are real. For a text editor that is required to edit code in a language where newlines are significant to the syntax (e.g. Ruby), this is a bug.

15. Mihel

Mihel Veteran Veteran

Little misspelling in the description of the tiles.

[​IMG]

16. Jay_NOLA

Jay_NOLA Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    In Weapons in the database the Description for reads , "Shoots a crossbow arrow from a strong string.".

Crossbows shoot bolts, not arrows. The text in the description needs to fixed because of this.

17. Mihel

Mihel Veteran Veteran

"Green" is missing a colon in Tools > Options > Transparent Color

Little misspelling of "Horizonta" in Tools > Options > Map Grid

Hilariously, those are carried over from VX.

Yes, I'm a nitpicker.

18. amerk

amerk Veteran Member

First Language:
    English
    This is my biggest gripe, although I can manage with what we have. A text wrap built in would be nice. I can't say for certain, but it would seem like such an easy fix for them to do and release a patch for. However, bug or not, this is how all previous makers were (including 2K and 2K3).

19. Mitchell

Mitchell Adventurer Member

First Language:
    English
    Thanks for all the bug reports guys!!

We will be compiling them all and hopefully come out with a patch in the near future!

20. Jay_NOLA

Jay_NOLA Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    2 things that you might want to add to the Help files.

A very short one or two sentence on what "Kemonomimi" is. The word is used in Character Generator and most people will not know what it means. The question of what the word meant came up in a few posts on the RPG Maker Blog when the Character Generator was previewed,

An appendix with a sentence or two description of the sample Enemies in the database, This could be added into the Note section of each Enemy's database entry too.

This might be another bug.

The Power for a Weather Effect for a Set Weather Effects Event doesn't show up if you read the commands for it in the Contents section of the Edit Event Window for an event that has a Weather Effect.

In the earlier RPG Maker VX RPG and RPG Maker XP the Power for a Set Weather Effects Event would be displayed if you read the commands for it in the list of event commands for an event with one.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 28, 2012