MikePjr

Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
THESE CAN ONLY BE USED IF YOU OWN A LEGAL VERSION OF RPG MAKER 2003

Let me start by saying, that i read the rules, and i'm unsure if i'm in the right location to post this.
Also, as far as i know, it's okay to work on this, if i'm wrong.. please do let me know.

Now that MZ supports different tile sizes, i decided to convert assets from RM2K3 over to MZ, starting with the tiles.

Let me say again, this is being made because MZ as of 1.5.0 now supports 16x16 tiles.
That's why i'm converting them over.

(hope i am allowed to use the BOLD text feature)

I've completed the tilesets
Some tiles are kinda grouped together in a single sheet, and some auto tiles i made by way of a few edits.
VtRcCJE.png

VrPLcZv.png

G3DjJ7V.png

Kqr6Hc7.png

6xahU4S.png

6FByUQU.png

oSxlpUf.png

dHaGGdf.png

ZJP8vvf.png

8n9NyxG.png

swKgehU.png

m5d8IIA.png

esqLv5y.png

Last edited:

BloodletterQ

Chaotic Neutral Assassin
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
I’m thinking that if the water is three frames, you should probably repeat the second frame so that it fills up. I’d suggest something like 1-2-3-2 for a pattern.

MikePjr

Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I was talking about the waterfalls and cyclone tiles
I guess i need to show what the waterfalls and cyclone animated tiles look like in 2003
EIqK6Im.png

The regular water tiles are fine, they work as intended.
I guess i'll just go ahead and reduce them to 3 frames, but also include them as 4 frame character sets.
@Archeia That doesn't seem to be a direct port of the assets, as far as i can see, they've heavily edited some things.. unless i'm not seeing something just yet?

Last edited:

Tea++

I'm human
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I imagine for the 4 framed animations, you'll have to do a little pixel editing wizardry to make it work with the 1,2,3,2 sequence MZ uses.

MikePjr

Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Ah okay.
That's gonna be a pain.
But i'll get there.
Making good progress as is.

blade911

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Nice Idea, Hoping someone does something similar for FSM

MikePjr

Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
FSM? I'm not sure what that is.

MikePjr

Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Oh i see.
Thankyou for the link.
After looking that over.
I think i could do this, but i think i'd need someone's permission?

Updated the first post with info on my progress.
Tilsets are complete.
I don't think there's much i have to do for character sets or any other asset.

Last edited:

Ingwer

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
For the tiles: Have you kept the categories I've mentioned? MZ seems pretty strict about them. I've tried putting the A1 water tiles of the default Outside Asset into A2 for grounds and even that changed how the editor placed the graphics internally. So if the system isn't kept, it will probably not work well.
Again, I could probably add the descriptions for how they are set up from the help file, but there would be a good amount of screenshots to attach. (Or I just copy the text, I suppose, but it would also make a long post)
On another note: Have you already used up MV and MZ's trial phase? As far as I know they both use the same tileset system, so you can use any of the two to test the tilesets (and other assets) easily.

For the other assets:
As mentioned, charsets seem to work in smaller scales, but have to be set up in different order, otherwise the direction keys won't be reflected accordingly in the game.
Normal pictures (like Titles and GameOvers) are not a problem as they can just be added in with a fitting window size.
The rest of the assets like faces, sideview parts and frame animations however seem to be the biggest problem I've encountered, as the editor does not seem to change it's selection size to support smaller scaled assets. The only solution I can come up with is to keep the size-per-frame per asset sheet but leave the actual picture the same size they are original (basically increasing the transparent area around them). Because if you have to actually resize them to fit MZ's original scale it would make the whole thing quite pointless, wouldn't it?
Lastly, there are some assets which aren't entirely convertible and have to be remade in the same style, like the windowskin (system).

Shaz

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Could you please add a Terms of Use to your first post, stating that the assets can only be used by people who have a legal version of RM2K3?

MikePjr

Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Could you please add a Terms of Use to your first post, stating that the assets can only be used by people who have a legal version of RM2K3?
Done.
Sorry it took so long.
I just woke up.

For the tiles: Have you kept the categories I've mentioned? MZ seems pretty strict about them. I've tried putting the A1 water tiles of the default Outside Asset into A2 for grounds and even that changed how the editor placed the graphics internally. So if the system isn't kept, it will probably not work well.
Again, I could probably add the descriptions for how they are set up from the help file, but there would be a good amount of screenshots to attach. (Or I just copy the text, I suppose, but it would also make a long post)
On another note: Have you already used up MV and MZ's trial phase? As far as I know they both use the same tileset system, so you can use any of the two to test the tilesets (and other assets) easily.

For the other assets:
As mentioned, charsets seem to work in smaller scales, but have to be set up in different order, otherwise the direction keys won't be reflected accordingly in the game.
Normal pictures (like Titles and GameOvers) are not a problem as they can just be added in with a fitting window size.
The rest of the assets like faces, sideview parts and frame animations however seem to be the biggest problem I've encountered, as the editor does not seem to change it's selection size to support smaller scaled assets. The only solution I can come up with is to keep the size-per-frame per asset sheet but leave the actual picture the same size they are original (basically increasing the transparent area around them). Because if you have to actually resize them to fit MZ's original scale it would make the whole thing quite pointless, wouldn't it?
Lastly, there are some assets which aren't entirely convertible and have to be remade in the same style, like the windowskin (system).
I have yes.
I hope these work.
I don't own MZ to look at the asset layout, but i do have MV, so i used assets for MV as references.

MikePjr

Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Yeah i seen it..
Made me feel like i wasted my time..
I seen this one to.. https://yuwakas.blog.shinobi.jp/Entry/437/
Should i just have this thread taken down? Feels like a waste of time and effort on my part.. someone did a better job out there...
I don't even have the software to check these tiles and improve them..
I'm working on redoing the tiles.. something i realize about RM2K3 Tiles is that there are things that get re used over and over in every tilset. So i'm going to sit here and slowly sort things out and whittle things down to something more compact and manageable.

Last edited:

riggsbass

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RM2k3
Yeah i seen it..
Made me feel like i wasted my time..
I seen this one to.. https://yuwakas.blog.shinobi.jp/Entry/437/
Should i just have this thread taken down? Feels like a waste of time and effort on my part.. someone did a better job out there...
I don't even have the software to check these tiles and improve them..
I'm working on redoing the tiles.. something i realize about RM2K3 Tiles is that there are things that get re used over and over in every tilset. So i'm going to sit here and slowly sort things out and whittle things down to something more compact and manageable.
Please don't take this down or even feel bad for the work you've done! I just found this thread right now and it's going to make moving my RPG Maker 2003 game to MZ a much, MUCH smoother experience! Wouldn't have happened without this compilation of resources, so thanks!

EDIT: Woops, sorry if this is zombie-posting or whatever it's called nowadays.. haven't been on a forum in a while. Grateful for the resource is all!

Last edited:

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Clarn Hold
(No storylines)
There was a tutorial on how to draw anime eyes. Just draw Among Us. So I tried.
Screenshot_107.jpg
DamageActor3_7.png added!
index.php

Making a "characters first appearance" drawing for my game. Now I just have to finish the sprite art animation for her grand entrance.​
ScreenShot_9_24_2022_7_56_24.png
New area being started today. It leads to one of the games 2 optional bosses.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ririrea