Unpopular Opinions: The Thread

Discussion in 'General Lounge' started by Lothloran, Jun 4, 2018.

1. Lornsteyn

Lornsteyn Sleepy Dragon Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RM2k3
    Well, I had problems with bullies in my past, too.
    As long as they only attack you with words its fine for me, thats something you can ignore, just words of some sad *****.
    But if they attack you physically, this is something you cant ignore, if someone becomes a threat to your own health you have to use force until they arent a threat anymore, thats common sense.
    Talk, run away, ignore them...just words from people which probably never were in such situations.
    Sometimes I think people nowadays lost their self preservation instinct.

2. Lothloran

Lothloran Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Not "arguing" just sharing my unpopular opinion when it comes to mental illness which you reminded me of with your post.

The "mentally ill" generally create their own illnesses similar to the way one can instantaneously recall "1+1=2" without even having to think about it.
    The way the brain works, when it comes to the speed at which we recall information, is by creating pathways where information flows from point to point. This is layman's terms, I won't talk about myelinated axons and the interaction between gray matter and white matter and how information is recalled or retrieved but what essentially happens is the more you're forced to recall something the more efficient the nervous pathways in the brain become at recalling that information. In the case of 1+1 = 2, the part of your brain which KNOWS this is true has become so efficient at recalling this specific tiny micron of information that it can be recalled practically instantly, from memory to speech.

I explained this to explain my stance on mental illness. I view "mental illness" as a misnomer for most conditions. These people aren't "ill" or "sick" with something. They've created dysfunctional and self-destructive patterns in their brain, in the case of depression specifically, they've spent years reinforcing self-defeating ideas. "I'm so sad" "I'm so lonely" "I'm ugly" "I'm stupid" "I'm worthless" etc.

Depression and anxiety are both easily treatable with positive self-affirmations. Literally just fake it until you make it, tell yourself good things every 10 minutes until you believe your own BS... that, and diet. More protein, more vitamins and minerals. Zinc, niacin, riboflavin, vitamin D and B12 and fermented, gut healthy foods like sauerkraut and probiotics.

Anyone who claims to have depression chooses to have depression. It is a choice. Hopelessness isn't an excuse.

3. mlogan

mlogan Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Ummm, woah. I think you are doing a huge disservice to a lot of people by claiming it’s their own fault and they can just easily fix themselves. It is this attitude that causes a lot of people to not seek help when they truly need it.

I could go on, but I’m on my phone and hate typing on it. But I will say if this thread continues at all in this way of talking about mental illness, I will close it - not because you aren’t entitled to your opinion but because it is one that can actually harm people.

4. Touchfuzzy

Touchfuzzy Rantagonist Staff Member Lead Eagle

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    ... Wow. Just wow. You know, I know people like to say opinions can't be wrong, but guess what, your opinion is wrong.

5. Celianna

Celianna Tileset artist Global Mod

First Language:
    Dutch
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I'm going to keep telling myself that I hope you'll leave until it becomes true.

6. Lothloran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    What you're essentially saying is "Reminding people who feel like there is no hope that they have power and control over their own lives" is harmful.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0165032712001371
    https://www.the-scientist.com/news-opinion/specific-gut-microbes-linked-with-depression--study-65427
    https://www.sciencemag.org/news/201...acteria-can-influence-mood-prevent-depression
    https://www.forbes.com/sites/victor...een-depression-and-gut-bacteria/#5ff9deb545d2

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5439380/
    "A negative emotional attitude, typical for patients with symptoms of depression, is a result of the lack of balance between the “emotional” (limbic/ventral) and the “motivational/regulatory” (frontal/dorsal) regions of the brain [17]. The emotional “brain” of the people affected by depression is overactive in response to negative stimuli, whereas it reacts poorly to the information characterized by a positive emotional charge. The motivational/regulatory brain does not cope with the blocking of unwanted contents"

Sorry, the world isn't your hugbox. The reality is that these issues are more often than not self-inflicted and can, therefore, be resolved internally.
    Long term psychotherapy for depression essentially comes down to resolving these dysfunctional neurological pathways. The "treatments" for depression are exercise and activity lmao. F' Me in the A' it's almost like I wasted 10 years of my life and hundreds of thousands of dollars on an education.

https://www.helpguide.org/articles/depression/depression-treatment.htm/
    https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/depression/diagnosis-treatment/drc-20356013

"Psychotherapy
    Psychotherapy is a general term for treating depression by talking about your condition and related issues with a mental health professional. Psychotherapy is also known as talk therapy or psychological therapy.

Different types of psychotherapy can be effective for depression, such as cognitive behavioral therapy or interpersonal therapy. Your mental health professional may also recommend other types of therapies. Psychotherapy can help you:

• Adjust to a crisis or other current difficulty
    • Identify negative beliefs and behaviors and replace them with healthy, positive ones
    • Explore relationships and experiences, and develop positive interactions with others
    • Find better ways to cope and solve problems
    • Identify issues that contribute to your depression and change behaviors that make it worse
    • Regain a sense of satisfaction and control in your life and help ease depression symptoms, such as hopelessness and anger
    • Learn to set realistic goals for your life
    • Develop the ability to tolerate and accept distress using healthier behaviors"
    IE; resolve the dysfunctional mental habits and alter the way a person responds to stimuli though repetition and self-affirmation.

This conversation's equivalent.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2019
  7. Lornsteyn

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RM2k3
    Well Lothloran isnt completely wrong, its probably possible to heal some (I say some, not all) mental illnesses if you have enogh willpower.
    I must believe that, because I have obsessive-compulsive disorder and I managed to get rid of it for a week, but it came back hard.
    But it worked for a short time, I hope I can manage it soon to get rid of it forever.
    Thats said, not all people have enough willpower and its not guaranteed it will work.
    But people arent mentally ill because they want it, I have this ****** since Im a child and I know many people who have depression.
    These stuff are serious problems, on the other side throwing pills at this problem isnt the solution either, I think the current society and too much stress are responsible for many mental illnesseses nowadays.

8. Touchfuzzy

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Psychotherapy helps many people, but that isn't the same as "you can fix it" that is "with the proper guidance, you can fix it".

And even in that case, a lot of mental illness, schizophrenia, manic depression, bipolar disorder, some forms of depression, etc are all related to chemical imbalances, and there isn't some magic "thinking really hard about it" that fixes that.

9. Lothloran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    You're lucky I'm dignifying your post with an answer at all. We're not talking about schizophrenia, bi-polar disorder or personality disorders. There really isn't very much difference between "you can fix it" and "you can fix it with help." Don't shift the goal posts.

10. Touchfuzzy

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    1. Some forms of depression are related to actual chemical imbalances, so are comparable to things like bipolar disorder, or being manic depressive, also, you addressed this as your "opinion on mental illnesses"
    2. Trolling the head admin is remarkably dumb. There is a reason we have a "don't piss off the gorilla" rule. So byebye.

Also, a 3. Getting help is a big deal and something that people should do if they feel they need it. Sometimes you need help to figure out what you need to fix. And that is fine, and no one should ever feel shamed about needing that help. It isn't about willpower, it isn't about not trying hard enough. It's about doing the right thing for you.

Also also: For those watching at home, he made a trolling signature that I have since removed.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2019
    AmieLK, PeanutButterToast and mlogan like this.
  11. Benny Jackdaw

Benny Jackdaw Ratty! Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RM2k3
    There is some truth to it though. I once had someone I considered a good friend that had that kind of hopeless mentality going for her. I did everything I could to try and cheer her up, but at the end of the day it always felt like she didn't want to be cheered up. I actually got to the point where I distanced myself from her because there was nothing I could do to help.

12. mlogan

mlogan Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    First, Lothloran phrased their original comment as addressing "mental illness", not simply depression, then tried to recant and say they were just talking about depression and then accused Touchfuzzy of "moving the goalposts" when that is in fact what they were doing. So, even if we were to agree that depression is just people thinking themselves into sadness (which, I am NOT agreeing to, I am just putting that as a discussion point), depression is just one small piece out of many of the broad spectrum that is mental illness, which is what Lothloran addressed.

Second, Lothloran put words into my mouth:
    This is absolutely not what I was saying. Even if this type of positive thinking therapy works, it still works as therapy - meaning that the depressed person would need to seek out the help of a trained therapist.

And THIS is where I feel Lothloran's message is harmful. Because all too often, people with mental health issues already hesitate to get the professional help they need. Being told by some person on some forum that they should be able to just think themselves happy just gives them one more reason to not seek help.

13. Irineu

Irineu Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Portuguese
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    1. Bulbassaur is the best starter of Gen 1. In my view, charmander is too edgy and squirtle is ok.
    2. Rosalina, Bowser Jr. and half of Pokémon didn't deserve to be in Super Smash Bros. There are so many more interesting characters than them like Waluigi, Ninten, Toad or Tails.
    3. Earthbound is better than Mother 3. I do not know why, but I feel a more natural feeling coming from Earthbound.
    4. The Sonic games after the 16-bits age are overrated (Except Sonic Mania). He should not have left 2D.
    5. Megaman X8 is better than the SNES trilogy.
    6. Most of the current animes are bad.
    7. Megaman 8 is underrated. The soundtrack and voice acting are so satisfying for me.
    8. Undertale is super overrated.
    9. The Pokemon BW anime was not so bad. I find the battles much more interesting than those of Kanto, Johto and Hoenn.

14. TheoAllen

TheoAllen Self-proclaimed jack of all trades Veteran

First Language:
    Indonesian
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    > Madoka Magica is good but it's too overrated. And yes, I watched the entire episodes as well as the movie. I don't think it deserves ten out of ten.
    > I'm getting annoyed with every "jojo reference" that is basically everywhere. Also, to whoever that is telling me to watch the series.
    > Mechas are supposed to be a slow moving robot. Unlike most of Gundam that they have a high maneuver as if they are not a robot.
    > Black clover is actually a good shonen anime.
    > Making music is actually easy (making a specific music may not though).

15. Touchfuzzy

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Evangelion is overrated.

Cowboy Bebop is overrated.

16. trouble time

trouble time Bearer of the Word Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    The entire mother series is trash.

Chrono trigger is only okay.

Pathfinder is not a good TRPG, but maid rpg is.

Speaking of trpgs, Critical Role is kinda lame, and i like d100 mechanics more than d20. Probably cause i love dark heresy.

17. Touchfuzzy

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I wouldn't say it is trash, but I also don't think it is nearly as good as its fans think it is.

18. trouble time

trouble time Bearer of the Word Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Id say trash, theres nothing good to it its just "quirky" a quality i happen to hate.

19. Darth Equus

Darth Equus Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVX
    YOU MONSTER! :stickytongue:

20. Lornsteyn

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RM2k3
    The Witcher series is overrated.
    The first was fine, I had to drop the second and after that I didnt bother with the third.