Unpopular Opinions: The Thread

Discussion in 'General Lounge' started by Lothloran, Jun 4, 2018.

1. MushroomCake28

MushroomCake28 KAMO Studio Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @evmaster Now that is a really unpopular opinion haha.

My unpopular opinion: Chocolate is not good. I hate chocolate. Unpopular, but my father really appreciated this about me since he's a dentist lol.

2. evmaster

evmaster Think Outside the Box Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I have lots. If I posted them all I would be judged by many. To name a few...

1. American musics sucks,(Today's music and old American music,) Japanese music is better (Mainly the anime soundtracks, openings, etc)
    2.Reaction videos are stupid

I'd keep going but I won't. o-o *goes back to hide in corner*

Last edited: Sep 27, 2019
    Ateliae and HexMozart88 like this.
  3. Windows i7

Windows i7 Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Depends on the genre. For metal, American music can pretty awesome (i.e. Metallica, especially their intros). I do agree that Japanese music can pretty cool. Anime style games (and JRPGs in general) often have pretty good soundtracks.

I can't see how this would be an unpopular opinion. They are annoying.

4. Tai_MT

Tai_MT Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Reaction videos are nothing compared to "prank" videos. They are simultaneously incredibly stupid and obviously staged beyond measure. Participants are paid beforehand.

5. shairn

shairn Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I feel like you're comparing American radio hits to jrock, which is a bit incongruous. Japanese pop radio is just as cookie cutter and boring as in North America. Maybe you'd find Western music more tailored to your taste listening to punk rock or power metal or other similarly high bpm music, since that's usually the hallmark of anime music.

6. Aesica

Aesica undefined Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    And that leads to my own (possibly) unpopular opinion: American metal is actually pretty garbo. Early Metallica is "alright," although they were one of my favorite bands before I knew any better. Then one day, I discovered European metal (especially Finnish metal bands) and at that moment, I had no choice but to throw Metallica in the dumpster. Clearly, the Vikings traded their longships for electric guitars, and only then did their world conquest truly begin.

7. Oddball

Oddball Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    -The "Dark knight" series is overrated and the violence is too much
    -Trying to get humans to mars is a waste of time. The iron core is cooled down and will no way support an atmosphere, and thus, no way we can terraform it without spending litterally trillions to build giant glass domes which will be too f**king hot/cold to live in
    -MV is just VX Ace with bells and whistles thrown on. VX Ace is just VX with bells and whistles thrown on. So MV is basicly VX
    -Jar Jar binks is actually kind of funny
    -The newest version of any phone is pointless to buy when the old models work just find. It's a waste of money and a scam (Like RPG maker MV)
    - The 50 shades of grey series is basicly pride and prejuduce with thought reform and BDSM. Whoever likes the series is ok with mental abuse

I have lots more, but i figured i'd stop here for now

8. Ryisunique

Ryisunique Detective, AUEI Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    One thing I gotta point out with old phones, eventually, updates don't work. I had a 'smart phone with only 2gb and I had to get a newer one because I couldn't even update.

Also, 50 shades also hits several other abuses as well.

9. standardplayer

standardplayer Keeper of Kitties Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    -Ghosts aren't real, and aliens might be.
    -Heath Ledger didn't do as good a job as everyone said he did as the Joker.
    -The Joker is not an interesting enough character to deserve all the attention he gets, and the fixation on him is a combo of Ledger's death and people wanting to seem cool and original for liking the thing that used to be less popular.
    -No matter how good of a person you are or think you are, you wouldn't do 90% of the good you do if you weren't able to have or make your good deeds known.
    -French Toast Crunch was the best cereal there ever was, and we will never again crest that mountain.
    -The most annoying thing you can do socially is try to show someone a video that you saw online.
    -No one that isn't related to your kids wants to hear about your kids.
    -You should be allowed to hit your kids.
    -I should be allowed to hit your kids.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2019
    The Stranger likes this.
  10. The Stranger

The Stranger The Faceless Friend Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I think this is true to a degree. Quite a few people only do good things because they think it'll net them some sort of reward, or make them appear better in the eyes of others. It is my belief that if a good deed doesn't come from a good place, then it's more selfish than good. I also hate it when someone won't ever let you forget that they've helped you out. It's as if they think you are now bound to them, that you owe them, for their aid.

Ms Littlefish and standardplayer like this.
  11. standardplayer

standardplayer Keeper of Kitties Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    @The Stranger I totally used to be that person that always wanted recognition for my 'good' deeds. Nowadays, I try to do good things just make sure there's something coming from me other than the negativity I probably pump out into the world XD.
    Not unlike a logging company promising to plant two trees for every one they cut down.

The Stranger likes this.
  12. EthanFox

EthanFox Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    - If you're gonna post on Twitter, use Twitter. If you're gonna post on Tumblr, use Tumblr. But if you don't want to interact with those services, don't just auto-post from Facebook or Instagram. I've seen a fair few people over the years who have accounts on these services that they literally never log into; they set them up via IFTTT to copy their posts over in ~2012 and have never looked at them since. But I'm fully aware that most people don't share this irk; just that's an unfollow from me if I see it.

13. Tai_MT

Tai_MT Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @The Stranger

I prefer my good deeds go unnoticed. Though, it does speak to my terrible personality of enjoying the manipulation of people while remaining unseen from the shadows. I know that they only have what they have, because I intervened and fixed things. I know that they secretly have me to thank for their nice life or wonderful outcome.

And I know, that I can take it away just as easily. If they prove to have squandered my good deeds. The arbiter of "good luck" and "bad luck" and nobody will ever know. A stand-in for the forces of the universe.

...though I do also really hate when people thank me for things. Or are grateful to me. I didn't do it to get your recognition. I did it because I felt like it. I did it on a whim. Because it amused me. Because it made my own life easier in some way. Because I decided that helping you out would make me smile for a minute. I didn't help you out because I wanted anything from you, much less acknowledgement of what I'd done.

Leave your gratitude and praise in your own head.

If you really want to thank me, I take cash and checks.

14. RedMage583

RedMage583 Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    I've never liked OOT, or rather replaying it. It feels so boring to try to replay it and while its a great cinematic piece, its a really shallow game :<

My man.

standardplayer likes this.
  15. TheoAllen

TheoAllen Self-proclaimed jack of all trades Veteran

First Language:
    Indonesian
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Lemme add another one.

Except it's for a raw file to be edited later, HD resources are a waste of space.

bgillisp likes this.
  16. Mystic_Enigma

Mystic_Enigma Envoy of Silliness Veteran

In MY world, you are not welcome in my world!
    First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I'm probably gonna trigger alot of people with these, but...

I can't stand smokers! If you're so crass to willingly breathe in something so harmful and expose it to others, I have no respect for you...Drinkers are the same way; out of all the beverages in the big wide world, you choose the stuff ruins your brain? WHY? :kaoangry:

I will never understand why people fawn over Villains in media lately. Yeah, sure, they're interesting to a point. But it matters not how flashy, over the top, or relatable they are...at the end of the day, they're not doing good things and need to be reminded of that. Whatever they went through to get where they are now, they could've gone about it MUCH better. Your "tragic backstory" is no excuse to pull whatever world-ruining escapade you're up to! :kaosigh:

On that note, I hate the turn superhero movies have been going. Why do they have to be so realistic and full of cursing? Not to mention sometimes they're directed towards CHILDREN?! Whoever's in charge out there, you're doing it wrong. Avengers in particular made me swear off the Superhero genre altogether.

The only thing good about Undertale/Deltarune is the music, i'm adverse to everything else about it...

Anyone who says "Grow a pair", or something similar that implies me to "Man up" Or whatever, instantly means nothing to me. If i'm going to grow a pair, it will be of potatoes to throw at you!

evmaster likes this.
  17. Darth Equus

Darth Equus Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVX
    I partially agree with this. Outside the narrative and music, I found it underwhelming. Yes, Toby Fox, we get it: You like Earthbound.

18. Aesica

Aesica undefined Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I have to give it credit for interesting character design and a rather creative battle system in addition to its music. That aside though, yeah I'm not a huge fan of the game/series/whatever and think it's a bit overrated. I still haven't finished it and while part of me wants to someday, I just...don't care that much.

19. Skoops

Skoops Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I'll get killed for this, but... Japan is overrated. Not bad, of course, I go there a lot. But is it overrated? Absolutely. Tokyo especially. Compared to other cities in Asia, it's needlessly expensive, they nickel and dime you over every little thing, its nightlife is a snooze, the private-owned train system is an expensive chore to navigate, and if you think it's clean, try walking down the street at 5 in the morning and watch the dog-sized crows breaking open all the trash bags left out for pickup from the night before. Working there is not fun, even as an outsider that has lowered expectations on them compared to a native. Can't beat the food, though. Credit where it's due.

Philosophus Vagus likes this.
  20. Philosophus Vagus

Philosophus Vagus The drunken bird dog of rpg maker Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    This isn't the 1950s you know, smokers are virtually not allowed to smoke in most public places other than public places specifically tailored for smokers. Be thankful you live in a time where it's easy enough for you to avoid them, I get a kick out of watching 1950s-60s tv where kids shows (the flintstones and such) had cigarette commercials built into the episodes and parents would be on screen smoking while holding their newborn infant like it was nothing. Back then you'd have an unpopular opinion, today, not so much other than the "no respect" thing but that's a different story.

As for the villain thing...I think you've misinterpreted people's reaction widely (but if you are talking specifically about the movie I think you are talking about that's not your fault because there is a weird media propaganda push going on). It's not fawning over them as a character but it is nice to see the villain taken from a guy who is just evil for the lulz or whatever and actually see them humanized to a point by exploring how they got that way. Crazy people are an actual problem in our society that need to be addressed, if a movie takes a crazy villain and spins a story about their origin that is relatable to the audience (not the violence itself but the circumstances that lead to it) then to me it is more of a commentary of people falling through the cracks and the failings of society to catch them than it is a glorification of the way said people react after the fact. The films where the villain is just evil for the sake of evil are far more glorifying of violence imo than the one that seeks to answer how they might have gotten that way, and as such I don't understand the sudden pervasive aversion to such explorations in media, the only thing I can figure is maybe it hits a little too close to home.

Unpopular opinion (that's probably actually more popular unspoken): There is absolutely no circumstance where encouraging the scientifically untrue beliefs of a mentally ill person is beneficial to them, and society does much harm and no good by enforcing that we do so in certain arbitrary cases.

An actual unpopular opinion: For the most part, as pertains to the West, there is no systemic gendered, racial or orientation-based favortism (i.e) privilege that exists. All these things, in the rare instances that examples can be given, have to do with wealth rather than otherwise immutable characteristics as pertains to society as a whole, and with enough money anyone can be "privileged" in these nations.

Truly an unpopular opinion in current year: Wealth inequality is actually a good thing in some ways; as historically, on average the wider the divide between rich and poor grows in a society the wealthier the poorest of said society are overall. I.E. The United States has the largest rate of wealth inequality in the world (something like 96% of gdp is owned by less than .5% of the population) yet only 4% of the U.S. population falls below the top 20% of the world when it comes to net worth and a good 60% of us rank among to top 10%, including some of us straddling what is our cultures poverty line even. Massive individualized wealth (and the opportunity to aspire to it) breeds innovation and growth. Obviously this isn't an absolute but neither can the truth of such a statement be dismissed out of hand to anyone whose willing to study history and economics.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2019