Unpopular Opinions: The Thread

Discussion in 'General Lounge' started by Lothloran, Jun 4, 2018.

1. Tai_MT

Tai_MT Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @bgillisp

So... essentially... the plot of "No Game, No Life"?

2. evmaster

evmaster Think Outside the Box Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I think Bubble gum should be banned and illegal. That stuff is downright nasty. I'm tired of seeing it every day on the ground...

Oddball, Lornsteyn and Aoi Ninami like this.
  3. Lornsteyn

Lornsteyn Sleepy Dragon Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RM2k3
    Spitting them on the floor, or even spitting should result in punishment, maybe cleanin the city for a month.

4. Windows i7

Windows i7 Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Not sure about a month, but definitely some community service involving litter clean up to teach them why what they did is bad (I believe more in attempting to rehabilitate/teach vs outright punishment). As for spitting itself though, that doesn't leave a sticky mess that's incredibly difficult to clean off like gum does.

5. Paladin-Cleric of Awesome

Paladin-Cleric of Awesome Writer Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    I don't know if these count as unpopular opions or not.

1. Cats are the superior pet in all aspects. I love all animals, but I would faster have a cat for a pet before any other animal.

2. FF6 is the best Final Fantasy game. While I enjoy other installments, (including ff13, yes, I do like it really so I suppose 3. I enjoyed playing ff13, in fact I think I might go play it some now!), ff6 has the best characters and story. I still don't understand why ff7 gets so lauded and a remake when poor ff6 is left wallowing in the background. I need to see that opera scene in all it's beautiful cgi glory. And King Edgar! I need a proper modern game just to see him.

4. Sephiroth was a rubbish villan. I felt no actual threat from him at all. Didn't really wanna kill him, just send him to therapey for his overabundance of mental health issues. Not Kefka... there was a villan.

5. I actually like the rtp graphics and music from all the makers. While I absolutely adore Celianna's Ancient dungeons sets (and need many more of them), I like the versatitly of the rtp, it has something for everything and if you need to it's pretty easy to edit it to be closer to what you think you need than some tilesets.

6. Healthy eating in schools (let me clarify, I work in a school, I see parents send in packed lunches, and if theres some unhealthy we are supposed to send them home) I don't know about you, but if I took the time to make my child a lunch (if I had one *sadface*) and added a little biscuit or something in, I would be so pissed if someone sent it home to me, like I was getting scolded for how I fed my child. The world has gone mad!

I'm sure I have more, but they are not coming to me right now. lol.

PS, reading this thread is most entertaining!

6. Touchfuzzy

Touchfuzzy Rantagonist Staff Member Lead Eagle

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Kefka is a terribly written villain. He serves no purpose other than being a villain. His whole shtick is LUL RANDOM AREN'T I FUNNY. People try to compare him to the Joker, but the Joker is only interesting because of the compare/contrast against Batman. Even the comics point out that without Batman, Joker has no purpose and isn't interesting.

Kefka doesn't have that. He doesn't play off any of the heroes. He's just whacky and random to be whacky and random. He has no real storytelling purpose or reason other than that the game needed a villain. Hell even the background of WHY he is the way he is is told in one throwaway line that is said by a random NPC in a city that you can completely miss.

The entire appeal of Kefka seems to be "OH LOOK HE SAID A SILLY THING", which is really really a terrible standard to hold the writers to.

Sephiroth isn't the best villain in the series (that would probably be Kuja, or Cidolfus Bunansa), but at least he had some narrative purpose other than being a designated villain. At least the exploration of why he is the way he is actually mattered to the plot... or even mattered at all.

Honestly out of all the villains in FF, Kefka is probably one of my least favorite. Because he fits into the same vein as Cloud of Darkness (irredeemably evil force of nature), while being given the narrative focus of a character that should be something more than that.

Exdeath is probably the most underrated FF villain though. He was awesome. And his origin story is super interesting.

(Also, I think FFVI was good IN SPITE of Kefka. I think the world itself and the playable characters are good. I just think the villain of the story is pretty bad).

7. Paladin-Cleric of Awesome

Paladin-Cleric of Awesome Writer Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    @Touchfuzzy
    Oddly I love Kefka because he was completely bat***t insane. He didn't make sense, you didn't know what to expect from him. There wasn't some heavy backstory with him, which I enjoyed, he was just mean and crazy. lol.

8. Touchfuzzy

Touchfuzzy Rantagonist Staff Member Lead Eagle

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Honestly, I felt he was easy to predict. Whatever was most puppy-kickingly evil is what he did. And then he would say a stupid one-liner.

9. FleshToDust

FleshToDust Evented Madness Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Unpopular opinion? Oh boy! Here goes... Kojima made a boring walking simulator and people are giving it good reviews only because they revere him so much because of the Metal Gear series. Metal gear is one of my top franchises but he screwed up with Death Stranding in my opinion. He flew off his rocker.

10. Oddball

Oddball Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    I think Naruto is actually pretty weak. Just tie his hands so he can't do jutsu. and he can't do anything

11. Switz

Switz Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Trails of Cold Steel was as boring as watching grass grow. Yeah...I said it

12. MetalHunter13

MetalHunter13 Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Johnny Ramone and Kurt Cobain were the best guitar players who ever lived. Fight me.

13. standardplayer

standardplayer Keeper of Kitties Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Tomorrow. Playground. 3 o'clock. Be there.

FleshToDust likes this.
  14. Nightblade50

Nightblade50 Developer of "Delta Origins" Veteran

First Language:
    English, French
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    I still play Guild Wars 1

15. MrNybbles

MrNybbles Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    JavaScript is the best language Ever!

It's literally the only language where I'm activly encouraged to write classless IIFE code!

16. TheoAllen

TheoAllen Self-proclaimed jack of all trades Veteran

First Language:
    Indonesian
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    JS being the best language ever is not as unpopular as Ruby is the best language ever though.

17. MrNybbles

MrNybbles Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Being popular != being best. The unpopular part is me pointing out how everything I see written in Java is classless and IIFE (which doesn't sound good which amuses me to no end).

Also, JavaScript is basically a popular version of INTERCAL:
    Code:
    return
    {x:0, y:0};

The above code is actually two separate statements, one implicit semicolon. The first, due to automatic semicolon insertion, is a simple return statement.
    The second, which appears to construct an object to be returned thanks to braced initialization, is actually a code block that defines two labels, x and y, both of which label a literal zero and are separated by the comma operator. The JavaScript language sees nothing wrong with this.

18. TheoAllen

TheoAllen Self-proclaimed jack of all trades Veteran

First Language:
    Indonesian
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    I'm saying that the opinion (mine) "Ruby is the best language" is less popular than the opinion "JS is the best language ever".

Edit:
    Might as well as add some unpopular opinion
    Curly brackets and semicolons are ugly.

MrNybbles likes this.
  19. Ossra

Ossra Formerly Exhydra Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Both JS and Ruby are wonderful in their own way. I might still be writing Ruby code for RPG Maker VXA if MV did not have such a fantastic plugin system. I do not mind the syntax for either language. For you see, neither use the indentation structure that Python does. I spent two hours pulling my hair out over a strange error in Python only to find that several lines of the template plugin I had been expanding on used tabs for indentation while I was using spaces. Python does not approve of the mixing of whitespace characters and explodes. No sir, I don't like it. I hate it.

MrNybbles likes this.
  20. Aesica

Aesica undefined Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Since we're talking about javascript, I figured I'd add my own:

1. I actually really like javascript. What other language lets me pull off crap like this?

(+!NaN+!!Error)*(+!!EvalError+!null)*(+!![]+!undefined)*(+!NaN+!!{})*(+!![]+!!/I like big butts and I cannot lie/g)*(+!!Function+!undefined)*(+!!-Infinity+!!{})*(+!!Symbol+!!RangeError)*(+!!Symbol+!!isFinite)+(+!!Function+!!/I am the chosen one!/i)*(+!!Infinity+!!TypeError)*(+!!Boolean+!NaN)*(+!!encodeURI+!!toString)*(+!!Infinity+!!Error)*(+!!encodeURI+!!{})*(+!!SyntaxError+!!Infinity)+(+!!FileReader+!!{})*(+!!decodeURI+!!{})*(+!![]+!null)*(+!undefined+!!{})+(+!!/JavaScript is fun!/+!!{})*(+!!String+!!"What's this button do?")*(+!![]+!!Date)+(+!![]+!!JSON);

Hint: This mess is actually a number

2. Putting the opening curly brace on the same line as an if statement, function declaration, etc is ugly and should probably be considered a war crime. What I mean is this:

Code:
    function butts() {
      // satan was here
      // you can tell by the opening curly brace placement
    }
    While one could argue that it's to prevent the case mentioned above (return statement with implied semicolon vs object)
    1. That's (as far as I know) the only case where it becomes a problem
    2. Can be entirely avoided by not just not trying to assemble objects right after a return statement like that
    3. Using single quotes to create strings should also be a war crime. I mean...

Code:
    var butts1 = "Why make it 'easier' on yourself like 'this'...";
    var butts2 = 'When you can make it \'uglier\' and \'more annoying\' than necessary?';

Last edited: Nov 19, 2019