Ossra

Formerly Exhydra
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Unpopular indeed! No space between the function name and parameters?! Heretical!

I always use double quotation marks for speech and such, so I use the single quotation marks for the string. And all strings. Single quotations make every string sleek and sexy. Double quotation strings may as well be used along side tab indentations to complete the 1998 appearance of code!

Code:
$gameMessage.add('"Hello, I too am a human." lied the android.');
Or when I want to heck everything, I use back-ticks. Mmm, template literals ...

Code:
var verb = 'lied';
$gameMessage.add(`"Hello, I too am a human." ${verb} the android.`);

Thankfully the javascript engine does not judge us on our cosmetic choices. The engine hates everyone equally. And to be honest, people should use whatever is comfortable to them. I really do not mind whatever people want to use. Unless I am going to work on the project too.

Benny Jackdaw

Ratty!
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RM2k3
Johnny Ramone and Kurt Cobain were the best guitar players who ever lived. Fight me.
Since you brought up Johnny Ramone, I guess I do have an unpopular opinion.

The Ramones are not punk music. They are the corporate idea of what they wanted punk music to be.

trouble time

Victorious
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Johnny Ramone and Kurt Cobain were the best guitar players who ever lived. Fight me.
*laughs in yngwe malmsteen* kurt vobain wasnt even a GOOD guitar player. That was part of the point of grunge was that "four chords and the truth man" stuff they were on and part of why i hate the genre.

Punk rock as well, so much people just lump post-punk in with it cause punk music is so forgetable.

Aesica

undefined
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
On the subject of Kurt Cobain, it's time for another unpopular opinion: I think Nirvana sucks and is grossly overrated.

Or when I want to heck everything, I use back-ticks. Mmm, template literals ...
Okay, I'll agree that template literals are pretty great, even if you don't want to use their extra features. Not only do they let you use your choice of single or double quotes, but they also let you do this:

Code:
var hi;
hi = 'hello
world'; // nope, try again
hi = "hello
world"; // permission not granted
hi = `hello
world`; // this is fine

FleshToDust

Eventer, Disliker of Plugins
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@trouble time I read a few pages back you think Magic: The Gathering has terrible mechanics that people wouldn't put up with if it wasn't the first card game. I'm curious for what mechanics you're referring to exactly. I think you're referring to the mana system or how the game ends up in a stalemate for many turns but I can't be sure.

Tai_MT

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I actually enjoy MtG, but that's just for a single reason: The game actually lets you create a deck to cater to your own specific playstyle.

What I dislike about it is how "OP" some decks can be and the lack of actual balancing going on. That, and how convoluted the rules can get with some cards in play.

I also hate that buying cards is basically like opening a Loot Box. A whole lot of crap, and maybe one card you can use. But, it's doubtful you can use any of it unless it works for your playstyle. There's an online version of the game, which is neat, but it seems to have this same "loot box" style of card collection. I'd prefer that it hold every card in existence, and let you buy the cards you want, or let you "narrow" the random cards down to what you can actually use.

After all, I'm a weird player who enjoys a Red/White deck that consists entirely of Direct Damage spells, Life Point Healing spells, Dragons, Monster Equips, and Flying Monsters. My niche is so narrow that it's the reason I don't actually play MtG. Good luck getting the cards to build the deck I want to play with.

FleshToDust

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Tai_MT I agree. It's 100% a pay to win game and the rare cards are called "Lottery Cards" in Magic: The Gathering. It's legit gambling. So many people after those rare expensive Lotus cards worth hundreds and thousands of dollars.

I too prefer a way you can buy any card but I think in a video game card game you don't want to give the player access to everything at once. You want some kind of progression curve and that surprise of seeing new cards is nice.

My idea is you still have booster packs but when you open it, all the cards that you find are now available in the store to buy. This way you still have the surprise booster packs give you but you don't have to waste so much money gambling for that rare card. Another idea is that once you hit say 80% of the cards in the booster pack you get a list that shows you all the cards and you can buy the ones you're missing. The yugioh games have that mechanic partly. You get a list. You cant buy from the list but can put passwords in for a price on those cards.

Tai_MT

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I don't actually mean that you could just buy them with real money. What I'd like is some sort of In-Game currency system in which you could buy the cards you want with the currency you have.

Though, to be honest, I'd probably load it with other stipulations as well in order to fine tune "balancing". As in... remove the ability of someone to just pay $1000 and get a super ultra mega powerful card for their ultimate win deck and beat everyone into submission.

I'd likely lock some of this stuff off behind goals and objectives. For example:

Can't get the strongest cards in the game until you own at least 80% of all the cards in the game. Or, you can't get the rarest cards in the game until you have 75% of all of a specific color of card. I'd lock "holofoil" versions behind this method as well.

Heck, I'd probably lock whatever "current meta" cards are behind a condition of "Have to win a match with 80% of the cards in the game", which means you'd have to rotate through your card collection and put each card in your deck at least once, and win that match, at least once. You wouldn't necessarily need to use it, but having it equipped would be enough.

But, I mean, I'd make the "buy a specific card" to be the same price as a "random draw" pack as well. The player could just pay their In Game Currency to draw from a booster pack... or... if they really need a specific card to fill it out... pay the price of the booster pack to get the card. So, it'd be beneficial early on to just buy the booster packs to fill up how many cards you have, and then later, more beneficial to just buy the specific cards you need to finish the collection.

Also, why isn't there a reward in many of these games for collecting all the cards? I would think that'd be a major aspect of these types of games. You know, just collecting them all.

FleshToDust

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Yeah, I meant in game currency. You bought the game, you should be able to earn the cards with in game currency. New cards come out? Sell that as DLC or an Expansion Pack. No need for loot boxes.

I like your idea of unlocking cards through completing objectives.

For the buy card vs buy pack, the specific card would be more expensive. The deal comes in the packs because you may get crap but you may also get something good. The price of knowing exactly what you get is more.
In physical card games that means a booster pack is $5 with a chance to get that rare $30 card whereas you could just spend #30 to get said rare card. It's more costly but you don't waste more money on chance. You could spend $100 on packs and still not get it. I think there should be a reason to use either. One shouldn't trump the other.

Oddball

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
The force is female and dagobah is premitive earth!

Windows i7

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
AMD hardware is underrated. I have a Ryzen 7 3700X with Radeon RX 5700 XT gaming setup, and the performance is really good for the cost of the parts.

trouble time

Victorious
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
@trouble time I read a few pages back you think Magic: The Gathering has terrible mechanics that people wouldn't put up with if it wasn't the first card game. I'm curious for what mechanics you're referring to exactly. I think you're referring to the mana system or how the game ends up in a stalemate for many turns but I can't be sure.
At higj level competition how you play is extremely flowcharty, you don't really make interesting descisions. The only part of the game that matters is done at deck building because decks are so consistent and generally have an out to most situations, if they don't the out is in your side deck. I don't like that deck building is the only skill you need. What you do during a match is pretty clear cut in most decks. This is much less true in other card games ive played compteitively. Though i never played yugioh. This is only for competitive magic. I don't tend to sink money into anything card game id just do casually. Thats what 40k is for.

Kirri

Imagining Things
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Malay
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Persona 3 is the best of the Persona series (eventhough my personal favourite is P4). Even better than Persona 5.

In One Piece, Nami is a great character. She got a lot of hate because of her personality. But her mischievous personality is because of how she grew up. Besides, she do have a good side of her.

In One Piece, Zoro is a boring character and always have a boring fight. I think he's a bit overrated though I like his badass-ery.

People hate Kpop for no reason. They see good looking kpop idols and call them plastic when nowadays almost all of them do not do plastic surgery because they are scared of people bashing them (or doesn't even need it). A lot of people don't even give a chance to listen to Kpop songs.

Sorry in advance if this kinda trigger anyone in any way. :kaocry:

FleshToDust

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@trouble time That was an interesting read. I don't play card games competitively but I know what you mean with decks being too consistent. There's only one thing they end up doing so it's like two people playing solitaire. Yugioh has that too.

Kes

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@FleshToDust and @Tai_MT Your detailed conversation about card games is off-topic. Perhaps take it to a pm conversation?

bgillisp

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@Kirri : I agree. I like P3 the best overall. P5 coulda beaten it with a little better balance and if it didn't feel like the game just didn't know when to END. As it is I feel like P5 suffers from the it must be epic syndrome I see too many games have where if the plot isn't epic enough let's just extend it via crazy methods so that you always end it by fighting a god or something.

I'll put more in spoiler, though don't read unless you've played P5

I think P5 should have ended after Shiro's dungeon, or whatever the one was you did on the cruise ship that had to be done by December 18th or so, as that one you learned a lot which connected the story together and it could have worked well as a final dungeon due to what happens there. The bit about mementos and the final area felt tacked on to me. In fact, it felt like someone looked at it, said it wasn't epic enough so they added that bit last.

Oh, and many of the social links in P5 just felt creepy to me, especially the romance ones.

FleshToDust

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@bgillisp I read it and haven't played P5.
Final Fantasy 9 has the same problem.
The big bad of the story the entire time is a guy named Kuja. You beat him right near the end but for some reason they felt the need to add a god monster for you to fight that would bring the end of the world if you lose. It only tacked on another 30 minutes of gameplay and 1 needless cutscene. I wouldve liked the game better if they didn't force that part in. There was no backstory at all. He just appeared to be the last boss. It's like having a last boss in ff7 after beating Sephiroth.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 4)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

What worst could happen when your driver said "I know a shortcut"?
Creating Telekinesis script for another user, couldn't resist doing a scripted scene to display progress, when I could have just shown it in seconds XD
My city has enacted some measures to lock down the city from the plague for the first time in China and it has been reported even on some international news. :kaomad2: I'd never imagined my little city would be paid attention to in such a way.
I made a lot of progress on the 2nd stage of my game. Only 10 levels but it took over a week to design and implement. Cant wait to share more info.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Legend20