Kirri

Imagining Things
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Malay
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@bgillisp Oh yes! Finally! I was always trying to find the correct word. I always describe P5 as manufactured... but that doesn't make sense. Then the actual word is that they wanted an epic game, ambitious.

Another thing is, I actually don't like the HUD of P5. I don't know, it just felt excessive.

standardplayer

Keeper of Kitties
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
-Burping anytime other than when your completely alone should come with a hefty fine, and 10 hours of mandatory etiquette training.
-If you burp anywhere near where anyone is eating, you should be sentenced to live on an asteroid (see: The Lonely (The Twilight Zone))
-If you burp and form words while doing it, you should be put to death.
-If you fart and form words while doing it, you should be put to death.

FleshToDust

I make youtube videos
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@standardplayer Yes! ugh... It especially makes me angry when youtubers do it and do it into the mic on purpose in every video they do(I can think of 2 people who do this atm). That's an instant unsubscribe from me.

HexMozart88

The Master of Random Garbage
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I have sat through entire sessions of alphabet burping. I understand what you mean.

k_mckenzie

Fey.Earth
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
While I enjoy the Persona series, I prefer playing Catherine.

Dickjutsu

Producer for Nic3Ntertainment
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Since a site I write for recently put up a video that I did the script for and I mentioned this game in it, I have to say something. It's an unpopular opinion, but I constrained myself from saying it in the article so here it is...

This War of Mine is a crap game. It has no emotional weight to it if you have had any real experience in a survivalist situation. There is so much gaminess to it that it just becomes a hollow puzzle game more than an actual 'survival sim'. I had no emotional attachment to the game and after my first completion I uninstalled it and have never played it again and I really wish I hadn't bothered with it in the end. :(

gonkumaru

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Minecraft graphics suck and I don't get what people find within them

Touchfuzzy

Rantagonist
Staff member
Lead Eagle
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
@bgillisp I actually think the best Persona is 4 Golden.

3 has probably the best story, but the mechanics aren't as refined, and the pacing is straight up bad. I think the problem was the timeline always sticking to the full moon. So EVERYTHING had to take a full month. That and it has no definitive version. FES is the best for experiencing the world, with the cutscenes and walking around the actual locations, but Portable has the superior Female playthrough (that actually has social links with all your party members, and can choose to date or not and still raise to max) and the ability to actual control your party members.

4 has a good story, good mechanics, and IMO the best cast and the best social links. Switching to "foggy days" so that they didn't have to stick to an exact number of days for each event fixed the pacing issues.

5 has a meh story, best mechanics, good cast, but just felt like it went forever and the social links outside the main cast are meh.

TheoAllen

Self-proclaimed jack of all trades
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesian
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
If by "within" you mean the graphics, there is nothing to find there. People just find something else. Granted, I share the same opinion as you, but at least I get it.

Tai_MT

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I dunno. It's like the latest and greatest graphics on whatever you game on today will look amazing in 5 years... or 10 years... I mean, I fail to see the issue. Graphics don't make the game, and if they do, you're not really much of a gamer. The best graphics are going to look like crap in comparison to what we're seeing on our HoloDecks in like 20 years anyway. So, you may as well hate on the best graphics on the market right now. They're going to look like 8-bit train wrecks in 20 years anyway. The best graphics are absolute crap in comparison to what we're going to do next time.

My unpopular opinion related to this is "I hate graphics snobs". If you can't appreciate graphics that come in different flavors, then what are you doing with your life? For me, as long as I can tell what is what, I don't care what it looks like. The gameplay and the story are what matters in a video game. I am not here to look at some matte painting. I'm not here to enjoy how something looks for an hour and then quickly become desensitized to it and fail to notice how good it looks for the other 80 hours I'm playing it.

Instant gratification is nice and all... but it's fleeting. I'm not here to be impressed by how something looks visually. I'm here to be impressed by how something works and how a story is told.

As long as all the aesthetics match, I'm good to go.

Plus...

The reason game quality has been in decline for so long?

Yeah, it's because you guys keep demanding all the best graphics on everything. That's where 90% of a game's budget goes. That, and marketing those high fidelity graphics.

It certainly isn't going into a good game experience or to paying good writers. Nope, going directly into the pockets of artists and renderers.

Thanks for all the beautiful looking games that are absolute garbage.

FleshToDust

I make youtube videos
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Goes on a pixel art forum to complain about graphics. Lol.
I never had a problem with Minecrafts graphics. Only played it briefly but the selling point is it's gameplay(build from your imagination), not it's graphics.

Touchfuzzy

Rantagonist
Staff member
Lead Eagle
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I'm not a graphics snob in that I think everything needs to push the latest and greatest, but if your game looks ugly I don't care to play it.

There are too many good games out there for me to choose from, I can't play them all anyway, so I'd rather play the game with good visuals + story + gameplay.

But as I said, it isn't about how many polygons you are pushing, it's about looking good. The original Nier for instance kind of got shat on for its graphics in reviews, but honestly I thought the visual design in the game was good, even if the graphics weren't state of the art.

FF7 definitely shows its age, and the 3d models are jank, but the overall design is good, and the painted backgrounds are fantastic.

Etc etc.

Basically, put some care into the look of your game, but it isn't about pushing the latest and greatest. It is about visual style and design.

TheoAllen

Self-proclaimed jack of all trades
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesian
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
My unpopular opinion on graphics is, Ultra HD settings are a waste of resources. The particle effect is distracting. The bloom effect is disturbing. Details like animated grass are unnecessary. 4K texture resolution is a waste of space. All of those are just bump the system requirement without adding anything.

I set the graphics setting to medium or even low because most of the time I prefer to enjoy clean simple graphics that I can tell something is something rather than being blend with details. Most modern graphics paid attention to tiny detail that I don't care about. If you can represent a warehouse by putting a block of storages (also for gameplay purpose), that is enough. I don't need tiny doodads to tell that it is a warehouse.

bgillisp

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@Touchfuzzy : I played the FES version of Persona3 myself. Only issue I really found with it was having to deal with reversed/broken links, which was annoying, but that was removed in later games. Don't have a Vita to play the other version of P3 though.

P5 I agree the story went on forever. If it had been willing to end it much earlier like after the cruise ship dungeon that would have been perfect. But I guess it didn't feel epic enough so they added the rest. And yes, many of the social links I felt like I was a creep in, especially the couple where a high schooler could date a girl that was clearly 10+ years older than him (I think one even came out and admitted she was near 30 at one point.)

TSR

The Northern Frog
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Here’s an unpopular opinion about modern graphics from an ‘old timer’:
As a kid, I saw the evolution of video games with the first gen consoles. Graphics and gameplay got better and better as newer games were released. At that time, I thought: « If that tendency keep going on, games in a couples years will be so good! »...

...Nowadays, modern games graphics have beaten my kids expectations a thousand times! Yet, I find most recent games soulless, if not borring...

HexMozart88

The Master of Random Garbage
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
About the Minecraft thing: First of all, I find the game to jump between really boring and really irritating, so I guess I'm more hung up on the graphics because it has literally nothing else. I'm not about high-res graphics or whatever: quite the opposite, normally the games that have them are trash anyway, plus I don't like most 3D games because they're too glitchy. But I want a game to look half decent. Minecraft and Undertale, I don't care if they're pixelated and not hyper-realistic. The graphics look like a rush-job, so I'll be inclined to think it's a rush-job game, regardless of whether or not it is.

MetalHunter13

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Here’s an unpopular opinion about modern graphics from an ‘old timer’:
As a kid, I saw the evolution of video games with the first gen consoles. Graphics and gameplay got better and better as newer games were released. At that time, I thought: « If that tendency keep going on, games in a couples years will be so good! »...

...Nowadays, modern games graphics have beaten my kids expectations a thousand times! Yet, I find most recent games soulless, if not borring...
Man, I totally agree. It was like, something changed in 2006, when the PS3 and Xbox 360 came out. Changed for the worse. I have precisely TWO games on our brand new PS4 I enjoy, both published by Rockstar. You can guess what they are. The rest I've seen are polished turds. Course, haven't tried any JRPGs or Monster Hunter World...

FleshToDust

I make youtube videos
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@MetalHunter13 All the big publishers turned to greed and it made their games terrible to play. EA, Ubisoft, Activision, Bethesda. The dollar signs in their eyes. The love of money ruins all good things.

Touchfuzzy

Rantagonist
Staff member
Lead Eagle
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Honestly I don't think that is an unpopular opinion among older gamers.

Actual unpopular opinion: The average game now is better than the average game used to be. Just all around better. We look at say the SNES and we are only remembering the highlights. We are only remembering the best of the best of the games. And remember that the SNES was like 8 years of games. There was a ton of garbage.

From 2012-2019 (the last 8 years) we've gotten:
Borderlands 2
Far Cry 3
Journey
XCOM: EU
Spec Ops: The Line
Torchlight II
FTL
GTAV
Bioshock Infinite
The Last of Us
Saints Row IV
Gone Home
Dark Souls II
Shadow of Mordor
Titanfall
Far Cy 4
Dragon Age: Inquisition
Alien: Isolation
Witcher 3
Bloodborne
Fallout 4
Batman: Arkham Knight
Ori and the Blind Forest
Undertale
Pillars of Eternity
Overwatch
Dark Souls III
Dishonored 2
Titanfall 2
XCOM 2
Dragon Quest Builders
Deus Ex: Mankind Divided
Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
Horizon Zero Dawn
Resident Evil 7
Nier: Automata
Super Mario Odyssey
Nioh
God of War
Red Dead Redemption 2
Marvel's Spider-Man
Super Smash Bros Ultimate
Pillar's of Eternity II
Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice
Resident Evil 2 Remake
Control
Fire Emblem: Three Houses
Astral Chain
Dragon Quest XI
Dragon Quest Builders 2
Borderlands 3
Shadow of War

And that is just games I've played and happened to remember. there are other games I've heard very good things about that I've not played that aren't on that list. That is a huge list of amazing games.

I think people need to take the nostalgia glasses off. There are still absolutely older gems. I still love FFT, I still love Dragon Quest V. I still love the original Zelda for that matter. But the average game? We don't remember the average NES/SNES/PSX game. We tend to condense all of the old generations like they took place over just a couple of years and act like those gems were the normal releases rather than extraordinary releases. But NES-PSX was 2 decades of games.

I guarantee that if you broke it own like 81-85, 86-90, 91-95,96-00, 01-05, 06-10, 11-15, 16-20, that 16-20 would be very high up there on quality games. (Honestly I think 2017 was one of the best years for gaming period. There were legitimately like 6-7 games that could have been game of the year and deserved it).

Last edited:

FleshToDust

I make youtube videos
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
You put Dark Souls 2&3 but not the best one the original Dark Souls?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Making my character able to jump around the map because I'm bored and I already did my childhood "I'm bored" punishment of doing dishes.
Actor2_7 added!

Stream is running late, but will begin shortly with some Darkest Dungeon!
More plugins coming this Wednesday, along with updates to our core engine!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
YamchaFan