Pixel Tile Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Morality isn't old fashioned.

Xenogears is a pretentious and terrible game. The first disk was fun and the music was awesome, but the game itself wasn't good. Most of the drama was from awkwardly avoiding saying things, and most of the plot was given to you over text with only a spotlighted sprite on the screen! How do people let them get away with that?! I want to play an actual game, not be told in flashback that soylent green is people. The whole thing was desperately in need of scope, tighter plot, and a real budget. I really, honestly don't know why people think it's good. Yes, it had really interesting potential but that's all it was. It wasn't realized.

Lothloran

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@Lothloran finally someone else who likes dragonlance! I always liked the original books and the old gold box games and wish bioware had made a game in that universe too
I liked Dragonlance so much I convinced my former Wife to name our first son Raistlin lol. I told her it was Italian for "He who shines like gold", she bought it.

OnslaughtSupply

Ssshhh...
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Yes @Matseb2611! I came to write almost what you had said, but not so eloquently put.

I have one, it's weird because this game holds a bunch of nostalgic memories for me. Chrono Trigger. I love this game, always have, but I got the phone port a few months back and replayed the game and I am just blown away that I like this game and that anybody actually likes this game. The graphics don't blend well. It's got like 3 different art styles going on in the same screen. The character sprites are good barely 16 bit, the tilesets are gorgeous but in an entirely different style and go from pixel art to a more painterly style all in one map. The story tropes really hard. Boss battles can be terribly unbalanced. Money becomes nearly worthless by the end game. Controls suck. It has 8 directional movement and dashing but it's weird and awkward. The same with collisions. Parts of the game just get stupid, like trying to catch the rat in the future (thanks bad controls and collision) or the jet bike racing (which has a mode 7 like look which also doesn't jive well with the other art styles). I know it becomes a little more open world as you go, but the critical path or the next step in a quest becomes so convoluted or unclear that you need a guide sometimes. Overall it's really bad game design, but 20 something years later we harold it as one of the best rpgs of all time. Don't get me wrong I love this game (don't know why, nostalgia maybe) but I also feel it's terrible from a game design viewpoint.

Kes

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@OnslaughtSupply A lot of that clashing art etc was not in the original. Apparently the mobile port contained some horrendous changes. It's now on Steam and originally had that stuff, but there's finally been an acknowledgement from Square Enix that it was all a dreadful mistake, and there have been a couple of patches already to get things back to something like the original, with at least one more patch on the way. So maybe, just maybe, some of that nostalgia is justified.

Sauteed_Onion

Mmm Tasty
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@OnslaughtSupply I think most of the ports SE has done of all their games have pretty much been low quality "filler" to help fund other ventures.. The classics were done right, but again, it's been 20 somethin years maybe, 14-15 here for me, because I didn't play it til sometime after Chrono Cross. I liked Trigger, but Chrono Cross was better for me, something about the art style and detail they put into the backgrounds and music mixed together.. but if I had a gripe with the game it was the difficulty needed to be ramped up especially for new game plus.
Morality isn't old fashioned.

Xenogears is a pretentious and terrible game.
You took the meows right out of my meowth.

Matseb2611

Innovate, don't emulate
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
My apologies, guys! I think the political discussion started after my post. I wasn't sure of what topics we could mention in a thread like this. Will try to keep it to games, films, and other media.

@OnslaughtSupply : Yeah, that's pretty accurate to many people's experiences with old school games when they come back to them 10 or even 20 years later. Of course, those games were amazing for their time, but when compared to what technology can do nowadays with games, we can quickly see a tonne of issues and bad design decisions which we simply took for granted back then, and which we won't excuse for any game coming out nowadays.

Here's an unpopular opinion. Most games aren't actually objectively bad, and what constitutes objectively bad criteria is actually very small, mainly if the game is unplayable due to bugs, glitches and so on. Anything else can't be proven to make a game objectively bad. I'd argue that finding the story boring or graphics bad or gameplay tedious are all subjective opinions, because a story or gameplay you might find boring could be enjoyable for someone else. I've seen the same games get opinions all over the spectrum, no matter if a game is universally shunned or universally acclaimed. You'll get legitimate reviews/opinions that disagree with the main consensus.

OnslaughtSupply

Ssshhh...
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
While some of the crappy art came from their revamp and when they changed resolutions which caused some tileset chop but the original still has some odd contrast of art style. Mainly being made during a time when graphics where changing. Taken as a hole, it's beautiful, but take a close inspection and its a mix'nmatch of different elements that look kinda weird. Game design wise it still fails in a lot of different ways. I remember rage quitting as a teenager and darn near threw my phone as an adult which totally kicked in some memories of being mad at the same things as a teen. I still love the game though.

HexMozart88

The Master of Random Garbage
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
> I don't get it how people could even enjoy vocaloid songs
This may seem creepy, but I like Vocaloid voices for their perfection. Human voices break and crack and squeak, and autotune just doesn't have the same effect as a nice, crisp Vocaloid sound. Plus, they fit better with electronic music which is what I mainly listen to.

All right, now for mine.
- Makeup does not make you look more beautiful. It's just unnatural and makes me uncomfortable
- Working out is overrated unless you're obese
- K-pop is just glorified Justin Bieber
- I prefer vibrant colours to realistic ones

Last edited:

TheoAllen

Self-proclaimed jack of all trades
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesian
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
This may seem creepy, but I like Vocaloid voices for their perfection. Human voices break and crack and squeak, and autotune just doesn't have the same effect as a nice, crisp Vocaloid sound. Plus, they fit better with electronic music which is what I mainly listen to.
Not gonna lie that sometimes human voice also breaks, but in this case it doesn't mean I want the vocaloid ver instead. But I wish they were replaced by pure instrument.

HexMozart88

The Master of Random Garbage
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Yeah, I agree that most of the time the instruments are the best part of the song. Most music involving normal people has no real instrumentation.

OnslaughtSupply

Ssshhh...
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@ChampX I'm going to call the police. Lol.

When I worked at a pizza hut years ago it is shocking how many people like pineapple on pizza.

bgillisp

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@OnslaughtSupply : I actually worked at a pizza hut for 3 summers, and I think I saw it all when I worked there. And speaking of which:

-One should not order a thin crust cheese pizza with no sauce. It would be cheaper for you to just eat crackers and cheese as that is just what you ordered then.
-Anchovies needs to stay away from my pizza.
-Taco Pizza is honestly not that bad, even if it feels like a weird idea at first.
-One should not order pepperoni, extra pepperoni, extra cheese. We called that pizza heart attack pizza due to how greasy it was. Though I will admit I loved it when I was 9 or so.

Incidentally I live by a pizza place that serves some combos that sound weird at first but they are really good. I'd never had a potato on a pizza until I tried it there, and honestly it tastes pretty good. They use a olive oil sauce, then put potato slices, onion, bacon, cheese and add sour cream once it is done. Tastes pretty good actually.

shadefoundry

Is Sinistar
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Oohh! I've been waiting for a thread like this forever! Lets begin with the easy ones...

1) Final Fantasy 7 is not a good game. The battle system is slow, the graphics aren't great even for psx standards and the decision to go from traditional fantasy with some sci-fi elements to pure sci-fi with some fantastical elements was a terribly handled one, especially considering that FF6 did it so well.
2) Final Fantasy 2 is a good game that doesn't deserve the hate it gets. It's definitely better than 7.
3) Western cartoons are infinitely more entertaining than Japanese anime.
4) Speaking of anime, declaring what is happening to the viewer rather than showing it is not good storytelling.
5) The introduction of Planeswalker cards and the mythic rarity to Magic the Gathering were both terrible decisions. So was the modern border. And the m15 border. And the decision to focus on unlikable main characters for the overarching story. And the decision to move away from traditional fantasy.
7) Spider-Man Homecoming is a mediocre movie at best.
8) The Shannara books aren't very good.
9) Neither is Lord of the Rings for that matter.
10) R. A Salvator is not a good writer.

Ok, that's all for now, but since I'm here...

@Lothloran @bgillisp Dragonlance is a perfectly enjoyable series of books, especially the Legends trilogy.

bgillisp

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@shadefoundry : I honestly thought FF2 is pretty decent, and FF1 is awful. If the rumor that ff1 was created to save the company is true, I don't see how that piece of (garbage) saved them at all. Though maybe I say that as I grew up on the PC and we had way better RPG's by then on the PC.

And yes, spider man homecoming! I thought the first ten minutes were as bad as a youtube video made by someone who just got a camera, and it never got better.

I remember reading the first three Shannara books, thought 2 was decent, 1 was meh and 3 was meh. Didn't get what the fuss was either about them. Never read another one since.

And I honestly hated LOR when I read them, but I liked the movies. I think it is because the movies made it followable whereas when I read the book I was just bored and/or lost 99% of the time.

shadefoundry

Is Sinistar
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@shadefoundry : I honestly thought FF2 is pretty decent, and FF1 is awful. If the rumor that ff1 was created to save the company is true, I don't see how that piece of (garbage) saved them at all. Though maybe I say that as I grew up on the PC and we had way better RPG's by then on the PC.

And yes, spider man homecoming! I thought the first ten minutes were as bad as a youtube video made by someone who just got a camera, and it never got better.

I remember reading the first three Shannara books, thought 2 was decent, 1 was meh and 3 was meh. Didn't get what the fuss was either about them. Never read another one since.

And I honestly hated LOR when I read them, but I liked the movies. I think it is because the movies made it followable whereas when I read the book I was just bored and/or lost 99% of the time.
It's funny I actually think FF1 got worse through the years. Every remake after the psx version is significantly blander and less enjoyable to play since it gets increasingly simplified and has the challenge entirely stripped away. Then again the NES version is hideously broken and nearly unplayable as well so basically the only version of that game that's worth a dayum is the one on psx.

The best part about Homecoming was the Opening Credits with the orchestrated version of the 70s cartoon's theme song. Everything else was a disappointment, and having Iron Man in it was not a plus. If anything Iron Man took away from the movie.

I couldn't even finish the LOTR books the first time. I got halfway through the first one and just couldn't continue. The movies are definitely pretty good.

Touchfuzzy

Rantagonist
Staff member
Lead Eagle
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Xenogears is a pretentious and terrible game. The first disk was fun and the music was awesome, but the game itself wasn't good. Most of the drama was from awkwardly avoiding saying things, and most of the plot was given to you over text with only a spotlighted sprite on the screen! How do people let them get away with that?! I want to play an actual game, not be told in flashback that soylent green is people. The whole thing was desperately in need of scope, tighter plot, and a real budget. I really, honestly don't know why people think it's good. Yes, it had really interesting potential but that's all it was. It wasn't realized.
You wound me. ;_;

(Honestly, it is the fact that it ran out of money that screwed it. The whole second disc is a horrendous mess due to being super super rushed and underfunded. But the first disc, and the overall plot had so much potential ;_;)

Sauteed_Onion

Mmm Tasty
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Xenogears was terrible. Amnesia main, everybody's best bro ever in the whole world, where did these ginormous mechs go outside of combat? that thing with the sand ship and meeting the red armor mech dude and a battle happens and you both fall into a pit that winds up being a place where an old mechanic guy lives.. in the underground desert.. ok nevermind. I'm making a video game about cat police. Love you dude. Meow.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

I'm an adult married woman

Being a hobbyist dev and also loving my job is like nothing to lose during both busy days and holidays ~ ♥
I tried to free some space in my phone and this is what I find: https://framapic.org/Dio090k00QQ6/8tiNZ3AV5IYw.png
...Almost 60% of all images in my gallery is just that- books and notes and guides...
I've bought a set of Harry Potter to entertain myself. However, my crazy geography homework accounts for more than half of my homework.
Girls with swords are cool on their own. Then I give them guns. *Profit*

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ssalum