Ragpuppy87

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I loved Fi, from The Legend of Zelda Skyward Sword. I didn't find her annoying at all and went out of my way to get her analysis on every character and enemy in the game.

Sephiroth is by far the most overrated villain in any RPG I have ever played.

I think Exdeath has the best backstory of a villain in Final Fantasy 1 through 7.

Skyrim doesn't deserve to be heralded as a "Masterpiece".

Just because something is considered "iconic" and a "classic" doesn't make it good.

I hate First Person Shooters. They give me a headache everytime.

There are worse things than Pineapple on Pizza.

Charizard isn't that great of a Pokémon. Neither is Pikachu.

I'm so tired of Superhero Movies.

I think Luke Skywalker's character arc in Episode 8 makes perfect sense and I have no issue with it.

Sisko is a better Starfleet captain than both Kirk or Picard.

Both J.R.R. Tolkien and Stephen King are lousy writers.
Master world builders. But lousy writers. (I know that probably makes no sense. )

standardplayer

Keeper of Kitties
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
I usually don't directly respond to other people's opinions in the Unpopular Opinions Thread, because disagreeing with an opinion in this thread and saying so is just so meta but.......

Both J.R.R. Tolkien and Stephen King are lousy writers.
King has a massive body of written work compared to almost anyone really, definitely Tolkien

What King have you read to arrive at this conclusion? Just out of interest.

Ragpuppy87

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I usually don't directly respond to other people's posts in the Unpopular Opinions Thread, because disagreeing with an opinion in this thread and saying so is just so meta but.......

King has a massive body of written work compared to almost anyone really, definitely Tolkien

What King have you read to arrive at this conclusion? Just out of interest.
To be fair not much.

Carrie, The Shining, IT, Thinner, Through the eyes of the Dragon,
The Green Mile. I think that's about it.

Which is kind of the issue as well.

I don't like King's writing style. His stories are good. Very good even. But... his actual writing of such stories is well, for me, boring.

So I guess the ideas are great. But the execution isn't.

I also wouldn't begin to consider myself a writer however.

Perhaps it would be more accurate to say that "I don't enjoy King or Tolkiens writing." Rather then they are "lousy writers ".

standardplayer

Keeper of Kitties
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
A lot of his short stories are really worth reading, there are many that just shine. I'd even go so far as to say he's more passionate about short stories than novels.

I will say this though, his writing style doesn't bore me, but I do think he's obsessed with italics and a meandering narrative voice/tone. In some novels, like Misery, this is perfect. That novel is absolutely worth the read.

Other novels, I will say that his voice is sometimes frustratingly unconventional, and that he often puts creativity in the place of clarity, which is kind of a sin when a story is presented in writing.

If you ever get a chance though, check out some of his short story anthologies. He really shines there. There's plenty of misses, but so many hits, too.

Ryisunique

Detective, AUEI
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I'll throw in Salems Lot. Loved that when I was a teen.

Unpopular opinion. Disney should have never gotten their hands on Marvel. I hated when they bought X Men and right now are trying to bring it into the MCU. Rethinking about some of the ways they've handled topics leads me to believe they can't handle heavier and darker subjects.

RachelTheSeeker

Suddenly, a summer breeze...
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
For now, aside from the last point toeing the line, going to stick to pop culture. IIRC, RM Web has a no-politics policy, which is for the best.

Fallout 4 is fine. You have to take the good with the bad, and the stuff that works really works. Many of the game mechanics are what I'd include in a cobbled-together "dream" Fallout game -- weapon and armor customization, cooking (food and drugs), Power Armor not just being an outfit from your inventory, lasers being potent when you find them (and being level-based drops), and plasma being potent against darn near everything. Far Harbor is genuinely un-fun, I might skip over Automatron if I play it again, and I'm not hopeful for Nuka World.

Fallout: New Vegas is overrated. Everyone and their grandma bends over backwards for it. Replaying it for a spell recently? I find the equipment bloat is lame, the excessive crafting recipes also lame, and the treks through the barren Mojave super-lame. There's never a reason to use any weapon types outside of your favorite gun -- ballistic or energy. Deathclaws are too damn hard to kill. The game excels in its writing, but non-companion NPCs have a tendency to tell, not show.

Anything Disney before the late 80s, and after '04, sucks. Exceptions can be made for stuff older than '87, and not everything from 1987-2004 is worthwhile. The 00s cartoons are really underrated, and Disney Channel Original Movies ("DCOMs") are a treasure.

We need more 90s retro-futurism. You can't tell me the now-dated technology aesthetic from an aforementioned DCOM, Zenon and its sequel (we don't talk about Z3), isn't charming. About the only normal retro-future stuff I care about is Fallout and My Life As A Teenage Robot.

We need 00s nostalgia in pop culture, stat. I am a 90s kid, but my rose-tinted glasses are finely-tuned toward the 00s. Every era has its problems, and 2000-2009 did as well, but there's much I loved about that timeframe as a teenager. Middle and high school days, XBox (including the 360), early internet such as YTMND, YouTube didn't suck, summers spent playing D&D 3.5 Edition, and a very chill pop culture vibe... even if not everything aged well in the coming years.

Pandering isn't representation. The point of cultural and minority representation is to normalize people who are "different". No one in the 00s would fathom the LGBT+ rep in modern pop culture, especially in cartoons. Not that this didn't exist before, such as the theory that He-Man and Skeletor had literal gay allegories (forgive the SyFy news article), but it was always subtle if included at all. But there's a difference between minority representation, and token-level pandering. The line can be thick or thin based on personal preferences and experiences. If I can mention it, I feel the biggest example of pandering were these two new heroes from Marvel's New Warriors comic series? I'll not cover any more here, but this linked Comic Drake video sums up my feelings as a trans woman myself.

Last edited:

The Stranger

The Faceless Friend
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
British English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
The point of cultural and minority representation is to normalize people who are "different".
I remember making this point elsewhere years ago. It's to no longer view them as different, but to just accept them as part of society. I also remember one or two people getting annoyed at me because of it. xD

Unfortunately, being embraced by society means losing whatever status (positive or negative) you had prior, and slumming it with the rest of us. Being accepted isn't all rainbows and puppies, it means suffering the same crap as everyone else, and just being normal.

I also 100% agree with your Fallout points. I greatly enjoyed FO4, and while I did enjoy NV, I didn't think it was as amazing as others did.

Getting tired of FO games, though. When are we going to be allowed to play as ghouls? >.<

RachelTheSeeker

Suddenly, a summer breeze...
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Lemme add one
I don't understand what's so interesting in sharing a food pic. And I also don't understand how and why people care about your food pictures.
I know it's from months ago, but as an addendum? I share pictures of food I actually cooked myself. Am trying to teach myself to do more than slap a pork sirloin or frozen chicken strips in the oven, and thus I share pictures of my accomplishments in learning the skill.

But if it's food someone else made? Then yeah, eff that noise. Social media narcissism will be narcissistic. XD

Mr. Detective

NATO Special Operative
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
I don't understand what's so interesting in sharing a food pic.
If it's for a Yelp review or something similar, then I can understand. Or if someone wants to show off a new recipe they just learned. Depends on the poster's intention.

Shikamon

The Dragonslayer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesia
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Here we go :
I like Skyrim vanilla but not modded one, while it's full bugs and glitches, The game still had a concept or idea as developers intended. While good, I don't trust modders' intentions when they try to "fix" the game, they seem to try to make it into a different game.

I never like Disney's fairytales version because it's a lack of moral teaching from what the original writer intended. I mean scary parts from some fairytale are effective to teach kids to be good or they will be punished like all villains in the story.

Darth Equus

I *HATE* Parallax Mapping.
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVX
Perhaps it would be more accurate to say that "I don't enjoy King or Tolkiens writing." Rather then they are "lousy writers ".
I myself couldn't get into Tolkien's style of writing. The Hobbit (the book) put me to sleep.

There's also the fact that The Neverending Story had really raised the bar for me when it comes to fantasy. (I read it in three days because I couldn't put it down.)

GMDev997

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Weeb culture is perverted and gross. It marginalizes women, treating them as sex objects and selling that to kids, boys specifically. Anime as a medium is garbage, filled with people that don't know how to tell compelling stories, studios that can't fund their dozens of projects (producing terrible animation), and people will eat it up anyway. (Obviously not all anime is bad, I love plenty of it, but the medium/culture as a whole is.)

HexMozart88

The Master of Random Garbage
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I don't think anyone really likes weebs. Anime fans are different than weebs, however.

nilm

Character Art
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Other
Pop music is better than most people give it credit for.

Sure, most of the songs are extremely calculated to have maximum popularity, but popularity=/=bad. So many songs are scoffed at because they're produced by an artist that isn't liked as a person. A lot of Billie Eilish, Doja Cat, and Harry Styles' songs are really catchy and fun, but people associate the music with the artists' fan stereotypes, and don't want to be associated with that. Listen to what you want and don't be embarrassed because other people are close minded.

That being said, don't play hard rap over your business' intercom. You'll get written up by management and eventually fired, even if the song was an absolute banger. Don't shop at Walmart.

trouble time

Victorious
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Anime as a medium is garbage, filled with people that don't know how to tell compelling stories, studios that can't fund their dozens of projects (producing terrible animation), and people will eat it up anyway.
This is true of every medium. The vast majority of all creative output is terrible.

Kupotepo

Fantasy realist/ Forum Reactor‍/ Advocatus Diaboli
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Thai
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Positivity such cute, happy, and funny sells just put any in positivity spin and everyone will like it and buy it. You see the anime you like. That is why downplay works in public speaking.

The Stranger

The Faceless Friend
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
British English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Kupotepo Adorable and cute things really do sell. Not just for anime and the like, but in other genres as well. Hello Kitty was extremely popular here years back, no idea if it's still as popular anymore. Pixar movies seem to be all about adorable characters doing adorable things, even if there's usually a deeper, more emotional story behind it all. I love cute and adorable things, they help clear my mind of darker thoughts and urges.

trouble time

Victorious
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
@Kupotepo Adorable and cute things really do sell. Not just for anime and the like, but in other genres as well. Hello Kitty was extremely popular here years back, no idea if it's still as popular anymore. Pixar movies seem to be all about adorable characters doing adorable things, even if there's usually a deeper, more emotional story behind it all. I love cute and adorable things, they help clear my mind of darker thoughts and urges.
I mean it helps that many of the films pixar makes are really good. WALL-E being my personal favorite

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

During one remote lesson I needed something to have my hands busy so my brain could focus and now there is a MZ bust of the best boy ever and me.
Today I had a little happy flashback to when my grandpa and I played doctor in his living room. We were visiting him in Tampa. I was about seven years old and my parents were out on an errand, so grandpa and I decided we would spend the night pretend playing. I miss him so much...
I have a riddle for you all, I wonder if you can solve it!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AllsuInteractive