The Stranger

The Faceless Friend
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
British English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@trouble time Wall-E's great! Up is perhaps my favourite. Well, the opening part that shows the life of the old man is.

Former_Sky

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
The Bruce Faulconer soundtrack for Dragonball Z is way better than the original japanese music. I also prefer the Ocean dub of the first 60 some episodes, mostly because that's how I first got introduced to the series.

Mystic_Enigma

I'm Your Ham!
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
On that note relating to the above, I prefer dubs over Japenese audio when it comes to shows. I find the latter overrated and people are too quick to judge the former.

I mean really, I would rather watch a "poor" version of something I can understand than the "perfect", incomprehensible original!

slimmmeiske2

Little Red Riding Hood
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMXP
The reason I prefer subs to dubs doesn't have anything to do with the voice acting, but with censoring, especially when it comes to characters, relationships and storylines.

Not sure if this is still an ongoing thing currently, but the anime I watched as a kid had a lot of stuff removed/changed.

And as someone who's not a native English speaker, if I would only start watching dubs, I might as well stop watching 99% of the time ;)

Former_Sky

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
For what it's worth, dubs haven't typically cut stuff since the mid 2000's. Every anime is very faithful to the original these days.

Kupotepo

Fantasy realist/Advocatus Diaboli
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Thai
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I prefer dubs over subs and like to be a contrarian in order to make people see both sides. So bare with my wishy-washy [impartial] way. The language and cultural barrier is not censorship. I agree with @Former_Sky the cold war ended and the translation is direct as possible to the original language. Some cultures prefer to express emotion directly and while other cultures prefer to express subtle emotions. Some words did not exist in another language, so the translators tried their best to explain or choose words similar to the original words. :D The culture subtlety is really difficult to pick up unless people live there.

@slimmmeiske2, I also see your point about censorship, but I think it is relating to the public decency laws. I think both subs and dubs get scrutinize both.:cutesmile:

Last edited:

KakonComp

Lucid
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Ostinato
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
An unpopular opinion, and relevant to the current conversation, is I don't like overly dramatic theatrical voices, which means I'm not really into either Sub or Dub, since animation tends to have very...animated voices.

in this case I only prefer Sub for the reasons @slimmmeiske2 mentioned, plus I tend to focus on the words more than how they're said if I'm reading them.

I'm always on the lookout for RPGs that let me read over listen.

slimmmeiske2

Little Red Riding Hood
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMXP
I just can't imagine my life without subs :p I picked up English a lot faster, because of them. I learned small bits of Japanese culture and language by watching subs, which then let me to study Japanese and even study in Japan for a year.

I guess it's also just a cultural thing. Here in Belgium the only shows and films that get dubbed are kids shows/films. We expect anyone who isn't a kid to be able to read fast enough to follow the subtitles.

Touchfuzzy

Rantagonist
Staff member
Lead Eagle
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
My thoughts on dubs vs subs: Some shows have remarkably good dubs. In other cases, I'll stick to the sub.

The style of voice acting done in JP sounds absolutely ridiculous to me when done in English. It's very overdramatic, and I'm used to hearing it from JP voice actors, but if I hear someone do the exact same thing in English, it feels really awkward. It isn't because of SKILL, it is because I expect English spoken word to be much more subdued.

So usually, the times I like the dub are when I feel like the show itself was subdued enough to allow an English cast to speak English in a way that I find natural.

(And with most nonanimated stuff, I can't stand dubs because the fact that the mouth movements don't match the spoken word is way more breaking for my enjoyment than having to read. I also do have a remarkably high reading speed though.)

trouble time

Victorious
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
For what it's worth, dubs haven't typically cut stuff since the mid 2000's. Every anime is very faithful to the original these days.
Actually its less censoring now and more inserting political ideas where there were none, at least woth funimation.

Kupotepo

Fantasy realist/Advocatus Diaboli
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Thai
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Woland, I am not sad. I am easily nervous and excited. I mean feel sad when people die are natural. Feeling sad when seeing other people are struggle is natural.
I think the thread is about people who want to improve themselves by rant in here, so others do not have to hear it.

orochii

Abomination of life, or life itself.
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Best dubs are the bad dubs or intentionally funny dubs.

See DBZ's Big Green, Ghost Stories official english dub, some abridged versions of popular anime (YuGiOh, Pokemon, DBZ), and some bad stinky dubbed hentais.

KakonComp

Lucid
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Ostinato
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I can get behind a totally new story behind a dub, assuming people know beforehand the original is vastly different.

Oddball

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
I think with a few minor tweaks, the phantom menace could have been a decent movie

The only cannon star wars movies were the ones made by george lucas

Redeye

Chronicles Creator
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I vastly prefer the SW prequel trilogy over the originals. Revenge of the Sith specifically is an amazing tragedy.

People who blindly slander the prequels are fun-hating losers.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Here's the title-screen for the game I'm working on: :LZSgrin:
Oh man I've been struggling with event spawners and Qmovement compatibility for quite a while- went as far as to use a tool just to pick crops :kaocry: but Ritter got their spawner to work with Qmove and I'm screeing! It's still in testing period but just- the feeling of getting over a large gameplay hurdle is a HUGE relief, I'm so thankful to Ritter! It's a cheap paid plugin but totally worth it!
Welp, I just finished my favorite part of RPG making which is creating skills, now onto the tasks I like less so the motivation is lower. At least I'll get to create new ones while designing enemies!
New to MV... Awesome forum, cheers everyone.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Arthur2007