Rantagonist
Staff member
Lead Eagle
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
To be fair, I legitimately have a soft spot for any time a games ambition outstrips all reason. Xenogears was actually planned as part 5 in a 6 part series iirc.

Also, for an unpopular opinion that fits into the same theme, I think Daggerfall is the second best Elder Scrolls game. It was all ambition. No sense. None. Sense is for lesser designers.

TengHu

Abscond Games
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVX
By the way, guide books were like the best thing ever to me. Sure they ruin the experience of working through the game yourself if you use them as a crutch, but they ones I had were works of art that actually made me more hyped to go through the game. Not sure if this is actually an unpopular opinion since almost nobody talks about guide books around me anyways.
Yes! My favorite guide book was the one for Pokemon Crystal. Maybe because that was the only guide book I had lol

1) Being completely honest and speaking what's on our mind doesn't necessarily mean we're speaking the truth. Honesty is merely saying exactly what we believe in, but our beliefs can be misinformed, delusional, and factually incorrect. Yet, I think honesty and truth often get confused and treated as the same thing, when they're far from it.
True that! Hate when people confuse the two. My coworkers do it daily. And they use that premise as a reason to say whatever they want because they're being "honest".

2) The privileges associated with your sex, race, sexual orientation, or religious beliefs do not exist (in the modern day) and are simply concepts made up to segregate people and propagate the victim mentality so that there's someone you could blame for your troubles. The only real privilege in the world is wealth, and even then it depends on how you got it, because working your ass off for years to get there is hardly a privilege.
I'm a black man in America and I agree to this. I love my fellow black man to death but I think that the black community plays victim a little too much. So much so that we don't know how to fix our own problems.

3) Western media exaggerates and distorts a lot of information, especially when it comes to passing judgement on other countries which are not its direct allies.
This is why I don't watch the news. Or at least mainstream news outlets. I watch a lot of Crowder and Shapiro. And Prager University. I like to view issues from both sides before I form an opinion.

4) I think Nintendo games are overrated as hell. I acknowledge their influence in the gaming industry, but I think majority of their franchises lack a good story, character development, or even much of an innovation (at least as of late anyway). How many Mario and Zelda games do we need, seriously?
Totally agree. This should also be pointed at Square Enix and its plethora of Final Fantasies.

5) Most modern Hollywood movies have zero creativity and are mere cash grabs. This especially goes for the plethora of superhero films they keep churning out every year.
A lot of remakes these days, amiright?

6) Modern games do not suck compared to old school games. Most have objectively better game mechanics and story plots. The bias is just the effect of nostalgia.
Agreed.

7) Modern music does not suck compared to older music. Just the mainstream stuff does. But there's plenty of excellent music being made by lesser known artists.
Agreed. I'm always finding good music. Spotify FTW
-------------------------

• I think this was mentioned above a few times but I don't believe in weddings. I think they're stupid and a huge waste of money.
  • Also, I don't believe in "love". I think love is just a measurement of someone's tolerance level. Because eventually the person that loves you will get tired of you and cheat or leave. Either way, their tolerance limit has been reached.
  • I have the utmost respect for everyone's culture and beliefs but I think that religion is a fallacy.
  • And with that, I don't believe in God. All the religions I've studied have contradicting ideas about God that just don't make any sense. You can't tell me that "God is good" when you get a new job but there's countless children dying in Africa and suddenly "God works in mysterious ways". Not buying it. Sorry. :headshake:

Dalph

Nega Ralph™ (Retired Villain)
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Italian Curses
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I would say Xenogears had a chance at being the best rpg ever, but it blew it royally with the second disc.
I actually like it a lot despite the problems because it's unique, the potential is still there and it's still an enjoyable experience overall.

I figured I would join the debate as well:

- Dark Souls is an exercise of pattern memorization rather than skill.
- Pineapple on pizza is WRONG. It's a fruit and it makes the pizza way too tangy and soggy. (I'm italian and everytime I see this, I die inside a little)
- Most MMOs are a massive waste of time and strictly designed to remove money from your pocket.
- Most Mobile games are a massive waste of time and strictly designed to remove money from your pocket.
- Digimon is better than Pokemon. Probably not the games but the tv-shows and the franchise itself are far more interesting and entertaining.
- Circuses should be banned. The animals there spend more than 90% of their lives in chains or cages.

Last edited:

TengHu

Abscond Games
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVX
I love this thread! Who's idea was this? I want to give you a hug.

- Dark Souls is an exercise of pattern memorization rather than skill. It's not hard and it's not fun to play in my opinion.
- Pineapple on pizza is WRONG. It's a fruit and it makes the pizza way too tangy and soggy. (I'm italian and everytime I see this, I die inside a little)
- Most MMOs are a massive waste of time and strictly designed to remove money from your pocket.
- Most Mobile games are a massive waste of time and strictly designed to remove money from your pocket.
- Digimon is better than Pokemon. Probably not the games but the tv-shows and the franchise itself are far more interesting and entertaining.
- Circuses should be banned. The animals there spend more than 90% of their lives in chains or cages.
Tomato is a fruit... :cutesmile:

I agree on everything else. Dark Souls is still fun, though; to me anyways lol

Dalph

Nega Ralph™ (Retired Villain)
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Italian Curses
Primarily Uses
RMMV
If we're taking about science, a tomato is a fruit, just like a bell pepper, a cucumber, or a squash.
If we're talking about culinary categories though, it is a vegetable, because it isn't sweet. In grocery stores it's usually in the vegetable section and not among fruits.

And the fact that it isn't sweet makes it appropriate for a pizza, unlike pineapple.

Last edited:

Matseb2611

Innovate, don't emulate
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@rgangsta : Oh, totally! The number of times I've come across people being distastefully blunt and rude, and when you point it out, they claim that they're just stating the truth, when it fact it's not always the case, rather they're just being unrestrained in their expression, which is totally different. Of course I admit I've been also guilty of this on a number of occasions, but at least if you realise the difference between the two and the fact that you can express yourself in better, less antagonistic ways, then you're on a path to improvement.

Regarding game companies, yeah, I'd say many big companies nowadays (Squareenix, EA, Ubisoft, Activision, Capcom, etc) aren't being very creative or experimental and just stick to what's safe and likely to bring in the profits. It's understandable why they do it from the business perspective, but that doesn't mean we can't critique this approach from the creative perspective. :) (In fact we could say the companies like EA are getting creative in all the wrong ways *coughmicrotransactionscough*)

And as for Hollywood, their plots, characters archetypes, and cinematography style has become so predictable, that you can often know what's going to happen, and many films end up feeling samey, like the stuff you've seen thousands of times already. And the remakes are a whole other can of worms. You can see with many of them they try to give them a different spin, but all they end up doing it butchering the original. Best to just go for a new idea in my opinion. It's why I enjoy TV shows more these days, because they're done by smaller studios and usually outside of the US, so it's something a bit different in feel and style.

Ha! I guess I have a new unpopular opinion now. I don't mind pineapple on pizza that much. Sure not my favourite, but it doesn't repulse me either. :D :D :D

Jhale M.

Goddess of health, purity and truth.
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RM2k3
One last opinion from me is that I appreciate game companies not being too creative. I hate when they have to keep changing what something is like to cater to people who want more creativity. If you love something, you shouldn't want them to keep risking a screw-up all of the time. Each company has its own thing and if we want something different we have options with a lot of that thing hopefully. I think the criteria for a game to be considered art is pretty ridiculous. All of them should be considered art, just like how a picture in an advertisement or a CGI in a movie is indeed art. It weakens the art form if we are snobby about the type of games that can be seen as art. People need to learn to be more specific in their critiques on things like that.

Well I guess I have another opinion. I hate acronyms. It is hard to know what a person is talking about with the millions of acronyms that can be made or exist and sometimes people will just start a bunch of conversations without ever saying the full name. (Presenting the full name before using an acronym for something is thankfully done well in almost any study or research paper.)

shadefoundry

Is Sinistar
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Ok I'm at work and waiting for our site to come back up to test an update so here's some more of my controversial opinions while I wait:

1) PUBG is an ugly game with poor design choices and I have no idea how or why it became as popular as it is.
2) The MMORPG genre is built on aweful design and schemes to just keep you coming back for mindless content just like most mobile games these days.
3) WoW is the worst offender of this.
4) Blizzard may make beautiful and compelling games but they follow some of the worst practices in design I have ever seen.
5) Blizzard is also the reason I refuse to purchase games that have microtransactions. Thanks for popularizing lootboxes and irrevocably damaging the industry guys.
6) Nobody asked for games to get more expensive to make and by proxy more expensive to buy. There is a definite problem when 4 games cost the same as a used PS4 (in Canada).
7) On that note, digital games should not be as pricey as physical games.
8) Speaking of which, I know it's been mentioned by others but I hate the idea of digital games tied to a server since they can always be taken from you. There's a reason I still purchase physical copies of my games, even if it IS more expensive (which it never is).
9) Final Fantasy XIII is only about as bad as VII, so it's definitely not the worst in the series, or even close to it.
10) It's not a traditional JRPG if it's not turn-based.

Sauteed_Onion

Mmm Tasty
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I don't like Pizza. There I said it. It really stresses me out when all my friends just wants Pizza when I feel like they all taste the same with tomato and cheese. lol
Oh I though the Avocado bashing was tops.

Touchfuzzy

Rantagonist
Staff member
Lead Eagle
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Wait, did someone say avocados were overrated yet?

Cause Avocados are overrated. It's just a disgusting mush fruit that goes bad in like, half a day and then looks like poop.

Touchfuzzy

Rantagonist
Staff member
Lead Eagle
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I will give guac credit for being one of the few foods that will turn to poop without having to eat it.

OnslaughtSupply

Ssshhh...
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
But avocado is sssooo goood! Expert tip: if you eat too much avocado, your poop turns green.

TengHu

Abscond Games
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVX
I don't like Pizza. There I said it. It really stresses me out when all my friends just wants Pizza when I feel like they all taste the same with tomato and cheese. lol
u w0t m8? Bruh... this is by far the most heart shattering opinion in this whole thread.

Wait, did someone say avocados were overrated yet?

Cause Avocados are overrated. It's just a disgusting mush fruit that goes bad in like, half a day and then looks like poop.
This modern health craze is what made it overrated. I was born and raised in Haiti, so avocados were a regular thing.

Touchfuzzy

Rantagonist
Staff member
Lead Eagle
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
True stories: Avocados should be extinct. The only thing on earth that eats it is humans. All the fauna that eats it has already gone extinct.

Avocados are clearly an affront to the natural cycle.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Finally the new pc is working!! But it seems a lost my license to Windows 10 because of the hardware changing :(
Tune in next time for our newest Episode: "PC issues return! Palm uses every swear in the lexicon!"
gotta update my game project thread page later
So trying out Ultra Mode 7 was a bad idea. How do I not include this in my game? XD
Stumbled upon an RPG Maker game on Steam called 'Boobs vs Zombies' while looking for a zombie themed fantasy RTS. lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HimitsuYuki