Unpopular Opinions: The Thread

Caitlin

\(=^o^=)/ Kitten shall rule the world!!!
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I don't really like avocados or guacamole (I will eat the later, occasionally), but my biggest unpopular opinion with food has to be watermelon and root beer floats (root beer with ice cream). I always had to eat the ice cream and drink the drink separately. To me, watermelon tastes bland and is mostly water (which it is). I just can't seem to force myself to like it. Now, my mother LOVES guacamole, but hates avocados (it has to be mashed into guacamole)

TengHu

Abscond Games
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVX
@Touchfuzzy LOL!! I hope you're not serious cause I love avocado. Guess I'm going extinct.

mlogan

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I don't care for Star Wars. I've tried.

Monty Python either.

bgillisp

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I personally didn't think Star Wars 8 was that good. It felt like it was trying too hard and I left it feeling like I had no idea what the point of that movie was or where it was going. Maybe Star Wars 9 will make it work, but I have my doubts now.

Touchfuzzy

Rantagonist
Staff member
Lead Eagle
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
As a hardcore Star Wars nerd: The Last Jedi is half a good movie. Everything with Rey/Kylo/Luke is amazing. The rest is just introducing flaws to characters that they didn't have before, or making character repeat the same character growth they already made in Force Awakens.

shadefoundry

Is Sinistar
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
When I first saw the Last Jedi, after finishing the movie I said to myself "Yeah, that was alright. Did some interesting things with the idea of who could use the force, might be neat to see where it goes". Then the more I thought about it, the more problems I had with the movie. Nowadays I wouldn't say it's that great. It's got some enjoyable parts but there's just a lot wrong with it regardless of what it sets up for the future, even if I do like some of the character stuff with Rey.

Alkemical

Transient Lion
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMXP
The Shooter-genre is super-saturated and needs to take a break for a couple years before we see anything like CoD MW2 again.

I really wish we got new IPs and games instead of sequels and remasters of literally everything, even if I am excited for Spyro and RE2's remakes.

Pathfinder is worse than D&D, and so is its fanbase.

Companies caving in and forcibly adding diversity/inclusion quotas end up with extremely mediocre products, all for pleasing people who aren't even interested in their products in the first place, but are strong-armed into doing it by the media. It's why DC comics have gotten substantially better by focusing on what the characters are, while Marvel continues to cancel series after series because turns out nobody really wanted to read about a character they don't want to be like. It's also why the whole "The Force is Female" campaign is getting into Star Wars fans' hair. We don't go watch space-samurai-soap-opera to be reminded of real world political agendas.

Elon Musk is right about the media being untrustworthy, even if he's kind of a real life James Bond villain.

Sauteed_Onion

Mmm Tasty
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I don't like pizza.

I don't like ice cream.

Yep, that's a truly unpopular opinion.
I hope it's not unpopular to say you are well beloved in rmw land. Meow. BUT NO PIZZA OR ICECREAM!?!?

jweav8705

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
How come politcal discussion isn't allowed in this thread, but when someone starts a thread about LBGT representation, or women's representation, or ethnic minority representation, there's no criticism or mods telling people to not discuss "politics, religion, or social issues."

I'm not starting a political discussion, I'm starting a RPM FORUM MODERATION discussion:
Why are off-limit topics allowed sometimes, but not always. In this thread, no one was even disagreeing yet. If that poster would have said "I DO believe in progressive privilege blah blah," would you have stepped in?

-------------------
Unpopular opinions:
I do not like anime.
I do not like talking to humans.
I wish every interaction at a store/fastfood/anything was a touch screen.
I do not believe in a $15hr minimum wage (this is economic)
I absolutely love McDonalds and I think people only hate them because it's fashionable, like hating nickelback.
The bassline in Avril's "complicated" is pretty awesome.
I don't feel sympathy for individuals who are unhappy with themselves and lack the willpower to do anything about themselves.
I have a hard time feeling compassion for people altogether.
People are the worst species.
Breakdowns are the best part of any "X"-core song.
I don't like starbucks coffee.
I hate most RPGs I've ever played, but it's fun making them though.

Any finance or tax geeks here?
Sales tax exemptions should only exist for 501 (c)(3) non-profits who don't earn some kind of revenue.
Non-profits should only be allowed to pay bonuses out of earned revenue (not from donations or fundraising). Regular wages are fine though, I get it.
Pro forma earnings should only be published if they are published along with accounting income figures as well.
I'm glad the new tax bill gets rid of the "entertainment deduction" for businesses.
I'm nervous about the new tax bill eliminating exemptions for people with a lot of kids or other family they take care of, the standard deduction doubling will not end up being enough.

mlogan

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
How come politcal discussion isn't allowed in this thread, but when someone starts a thread about LBGT representation, or women's representation, or ethnic minority representation, there's no criticism or mods telling people to not discuss "politics, religion, or social issues."

I'm not starting a political discussion, I'm starting a RPM FORUM MODERATION discussion:
Why are off-limit topics allowed sometimes, but not always. In this thread, no one was even disagreeing yet. If that poster would have said "I DO believe in progressive privilege blah blah," would you have stepped in?
It's not about progressive ideas or conservative ideas or whatever. It's about our rules which state these sort of discussions are only allowed in the context of game development.

1.2 Do NOT discuss religion, politics or nationalism (nationalism is defined as discussions about why one country/nation is better than others or why a country/nation is bad) outside the scope of game development.
And the reason for that is simply that these topics often create a lot of drama and heated conversations, and we're not interested in having that here.

Philosophus Vagus

The drunken bird dog of rpg maker
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@jweav8705 They are allowed if they pertain to game design, so discussing things like representation as a game design concept is not breaking the rules whether you say all games should cater to group x or whether you say no, devs should make the game they want and group x should make their own game from their own perspective if it's so important to them (I know this because I have been the naysayer in those very discussions before, and have never been modded for it).

At the end of the day the rule against politics and religion is a decent one. Granted Matseb, Lothloren and I held a civil discussion, but we said what we wanted to say and moved on. It's not that big a deal for a mod to warn you you are straying into taboo ground, it's not like any of us were censored or punished or anything. The moderators respect civil discourse and will generally let such things slide to an extent, but we have to respect the rules in turn or else things can get out of hand and then this place just becomes another reddit (and the world doesn't need anymore reddits, reddit is enough for everyone).

This brings me to my next unpopular opinion:
I think people often take the blue mod text entirely too personally, and view it as a personal affront instead of the gentle nudging towards insuring civility in an international forum of diverse opinions that it actually is. Treat the mods and members with respect, and the mods (and most of the members as well) will do the same for you, usually allowing you the leeway to say what you want to say even if it does occasionally bend the rules a little bit.

jweav8705

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
@jweav8705 They are allowed if they pertain to game design, so discussing things like representation as a game design concept is not breaking the rules whether you say all games should cater to group x or whether you say no, devs should make the game they want and group x should make their own game from their own perspective if it's so important to them (I know this because I have been the naysayer in those very discussions before, and have never been modded for it).

At the end of the day the rule against politics and religion is a decent one. Granted Matseb, Lothloren and I held a civil discussion, but we said what we wanted to say and moved on. It's not that big a deal for a mod to warn you you are straying into taboo ground, it's not like any of us were censored or punished or anything. The moderators respect civil discourse and will generally let such things slide to an extent, but we have to respect the rules in turn or else things can get out of hand and then this place just becomes another reddit (and the world doesn't need anymore reddits, reddit is enough for everyone).

This brings me to my next unpopular opinion:
I think people often take the blue mod text entirely too personally, and view it as a personal affront instead of the gentle nudging towards insuring civility in an international forum of diverse opinions that it actually is. Treat the mods and members with respect, and the mods (and most of the members as well) will do the same for you, usually allowing you the leeway to say what you want to say even if it does occasionally bend the rules a little bit.
That's such a dodgey scape goat.
"In the context of game design."
You realize this doesn't seem to hold water very well, right?
"In the context of game design, there isn't enough LGBT protagonists."
"In the context of game design, there isn't enough puppies being beaten to death with hammers."
Replace puppies with whatever social classification of people you would like, and then you'll see why this isn't the case.

I think what's really happening here is that there is a large userbase here who subscribe to certain notions and ideals. Actually, no, I know this, I had a mod tell me. They then told me that they had a job to "protect those users."

I understand what you're trying to say, but understand this, mods also have a product to protect. They also have "that user base" to appeal to as well.

Let me ask you a question.
If you said "I don't like X," in a thread, and someone reported you and said "this hurt me," do you think you would be repremanded?

jweav8705

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Also:

@jweav8705Treat the mods and members with respect, and the mods (and most of the members as well) will do the same for you, usually allowing you the leeway to say what you want to say even if it does occasionally bend the rules a little bit.

Unpopular opinion:
I really hope this isn't true.

Sauteed_Onion

Mmm Tasty
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I think fish sandwiches could be better without the bread, and extra tartar sauce.

Philosophus Vagus

The drunken bird dog of rpg maker
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
That's such a dodgey scape goat.

If you said "I don't like X," in a thread, and someone reported you and said "this hurt me," do you think you would be repremanded?
I haven't ever been 'reprimanded' beyond blue text (though that occurs fairly often) before so...no I don't think I would be. I have been called a bigot by another member before though, and he did say that he reported me for hate speech so, I mean that's literally the last I heard of it so no, I don't think the mods are towing a specific ideological line and demonizing anyone who doesn't. Just as RMW isn't reddit it isn't twitter, facebook or youtube either. Again the moderation staff is pretty even-handed with their judgements in my personal experiences, and I'm the type of guy who gets banned constantly at the kind of sites that actually do the things you are suggesting go on here.

jweav8705

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I haven't ever been 'reprimanded' beyond blue text (though that occurs fairly often) before so...no I don't think I would be. I have been called a bigot by another member before though, and he did say that he reported me for hate speech so, I mean that's literally the last I heard of it so no, I don't think the mods are towing a specific ideological line and demonizing anyone who doesn't. Just as RMW isn't reddit it isn't twitter, facebook or youtube either, again the moderation staff is pretty even handed with their judgements in my experiences.
Im just super sore over the last thread i was in like this. It's whatever man.

What was your "hate speech?"

Unpopular opinion:
Cat's are awful.

Sauteed_Onion

Mmm Tasty
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Im just super sore over the last thread i was in like this. It's whatever man.

What was your "hate speech?"

Unpopular opinion:
Cat's are awful.
Humies don't give cats enough tasty food items.

Touchfuzzy

Rantagonist
Staff member
Lead Eagle
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Popular Opinion: Its generally a bad idea to derail a topic with your issues with the moderation.

But now that we're here, let's actually look at the situation.

The main thing that we want is for people to feel welcome to the site, no matter what background they come from. That does mean, yes, we lean towards being accepting towards women and members of the LGBT community.

The reason for this, is again, because we believe in being open to everyone. Anyone though who feels that not being able to bash another group, be that women, members of the LGBT community, Christians, Muslims, Americans, Asians, Middle Easterners, etc, makes this forum unwelcoming to them, well, we feel the problem is not the moderation.

(As an aside we have had discussions about Gender/LGBT characters in gaming and representation before, and the only blue text that ever came in was when people began being insulting. This idea that we only allow one side to speak is false. There have been people who have said things that I personally disagree with, but as long as they aren't insulting anyone, I don't reach for the blue text).

Also, keep in mind, no one in this thread got bluetexted, even though people were hitting some things that are political and not allowed. We just redirected the thread by being super silly and talking about stuff that doesn't matter, like pizza, and ice cream instead. Except @Sharm For some reason she thought it would be a good idea to talk about important things like Xenogears and trash it. ;_;.

Last edited:

Countyoungblood

Sleeping Dragon
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
People like being given limited options because they want to feel like theyve made a choice but also want to be told what to do.

People like being told what to do because they dont want to actually think and review everything its more comfortable to let someone else do the work and complain if it doesnt go well.

People like to act as if the world is at fault before assuming blame themselves because their egos are too fragile to actually do the work of growing as a person.

Some people believe theyre leaders even though they do no leading of anyone which is nonsense like believing youre a basketball player without playing basketball.

People argue on the internet to help them feel better about themselves.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

2 huge market drops in 2 days. So glad I sold my non-dividend stocks about 2 weeks ago. And if the dividend ones drop heavily, hey more cheap stocks for me!
My tutorial is live! It covers using Yanfly's weapon unleash to replace the basic attack skill with a more dynamic version depending on which weapon type the actor has equipped. It also includes how to import a custom function used to generate a random number within supplied minimum and maximum values, used in the replaced skills, to give weapons a set damage range.
What can I sing for my sisters birthday...?

>.<'
Well, I'll have you know that I'm still around, looking for opportunity to resurface with some stuffs.
I like to think of Profile Posts as tiny homes, full of all kinds of unsuspecting suckers "future" friends.... Many of which are of course only going to be excited when a strange man in black suddenly shows up to say hi. :LZSexcite:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Botch