Caitlin

\(=^o^=)/ Kitten shall rule the world!!!
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I was REALLY into creating horror stories growing up, all I had to watch was horror movies and my sister and I actually TOLD horror stories creating our own. It's been some time since we did that and I had come across one of my old ideas. I've often debated about creating a game from it. It used to be three stories, but I felt that it would have been best to merge it into a single story rather than three stories of different generations.

"A story about discovering the truth, not only about the past, but the truth within your own heart, as well."

Game Mechanics: You would be playing three characters as they explore the house, each with their own unique reason for entering the manor and each with their own trust/distrust people around them. You would explore the house, discover items, battle creatures and solve puzzles using each of their own special abilities.
Characters:
Character 1: William (might change) The sole survivor of the night of his sixteenth birthday party, once a confident young man with a wonderful sense of humor, now, he is withdrawn and isolated from everyone. The night of his birthday party changed everything for him, he has begun to see the dead and he doesn't talk about it or his feelings of doubt. Each birthday, holiday only serves to remind him that his parents are gone...
GOAL: To discover the truth if he murdered his family (hence allowed to feel grief of their deaths) and his friends, what truly happened that night and why he can't remember the last six months while he lived there.
Skill: He can talk/see the dead spirits, history knowledge and healing

Character 2: Sabrina was a nerd in high school and very different from her twin sister, who was very popular with the boys. She was at William's party and one of the victims. Her body was one that was never discovered. Sabrina and her sister, Christie didn't get along and as a matter of fact, her sister often joined in on the teasing. After the death of her sister, she began to feel bad about the last thing that she said, "I HATE YOU! Why don't you f!@#$%g die and leave me alone." She doesn't trust William and would like to see him rotting in prison or dead in the grave.
GOAL: To find and rescue her sister, if alive and to make up for all their fights in high school. (Truth be told, she feels bad and really just wants someone to blame for her bad feelings.)
Skills: Understands foreign languages, Logic, speed

Character 3: A detective in the police, his partner went into the manor to discover more evidence and was found dead outside of the manor with strange marks on his neck. It was ruled a homicide by a local criminal gang, though no evidence was discovered to prove it. Franklin believes that it is something or someone in the house that must have been helping William on the night of the murders. He was investigating the house when William's grandfather got him fired from the force and he decided to continue the investigation on his own. He has entered the house to find the evidence that the boy is guilty of murder.
GOAL: To find prove that William is guilty of murder and to find survivor/dead bodies of the victims (closure for the families)
Skills: forensics, strength and self defense

Storyline/Plot:
The Fairchild manor was built in the year of 1749, by Lord Angus Fairchild and only lived in a short time before horrible things began to happen to the family. The daughter and the son died from an unknown illness, the wife almost died but recovered and the husband fired all of the employees who worked for him. He left the house and forbade any of his descendants from living in the house. Two hundred years later, Lord Stephen Fairchild and his family move into the manor and are beginning to live their lives in the new city. They bring their son's friends to celebrate his sixteenth birthday party, it is the last night of their lives and the next day, when parents began to call the house, they get no response. The police are summoned to find that everyone who was at the party that night was murdered and there is only a single survivor. William Fairchild has NO memories of the last six months and is covered in blood, trying to figure out what happened and sent to a mental hospital. No proof was every discovered who murdered the people inside (the police think it was Wiliam). It has been five years and the house still remains empty as William is released into the custody of his elder sister, with his siblings. (Who was spending the night at his grandparents house). Unable to move past the night where he lost his confidence and happiness, William hopes to enter the house and discover the truth of that night, but he isn't the only one. Two other people are seeking to discover the truth, but can you help them or are they doomed to perish in the attempt.

A mystery of the past, modern era and the truth of why his grandfather is so determine to keep secrets. Why had his siblings been invited to spend the night at his grandparents house? Why had his grandfather insisted that William's party be held at his house rather than at the other manor? Why can't William remember the last six months at the house? Each character has someone they trust/don't trust.

William: Uncertain about everyone/distrusts Franklin
Sabrina: Trusts-Franklin/Distrusts-William
Franklin: Trusts-Sabina/Distrusts-William

I guess my biggest I haven't decided yet part is if I should let the player decide which character to be the main character and you play all three to unlock a final part. You will use all three characters and their skills, as they struggle to solve mysteries and their goals. I am still in the midst of planning this little game, so let me know what you think.

Screenshot: (Likely to change)
Example_Map.PNG

NOTE: Open spot for someone whose really good with the scares, not jump scares (a few I wouldn't mind). I am pretty good with mapping and I am going to be using PoP graphics for this. It is going to be a free game on itch.io and any donations would be split between the two of us. I will put this into writing, if necessary to protect your interests in this game. =^_^= Anyway, thanks! Also, someone good with creating unique PoP characters and faces for the four main characters, his family (Mother, father, grandfather, grandmother, sister, his siblings (sister & brother)...

Last edited:

Tsukunex

Noblesse
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Sounds like the start of a very interesting mystery game :D!!! I am very curious to see how the game mechanics play in with each character's individual strengths and weaknesses. Looks like and sounds like you will have the opportunity to play as each character individually which adds a more intriguing element and unique way to go about solving their individual stories and their connection. All in all, sounds like a great concept!

One thing to note: I recommend not using manor and house interchangeably.

Ziudiu

Knowledger
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hello, Caitlin.

I think your idea is lovely. The history seems very interesting and could turn into an awsome game.
Using the logic of your idea:
  • The player could play with the 3 Chars in different moments, going through the same maps but each only being able to find different things(items, clues for solving the mystery), based on their abilities (foreign languages, strength, for moving heavy objects).
  • They can start in different rooms/maps/houses, but they go through the same streets/neighborhood. Eventually they encounter each other and share the possibly findings, them they start acting like a party.
  • Before that, being a party, they have to solve their inner problems. That's the part that could be the battles (they fight suspects or representations of inner demons).
I also would like to help you creating content. I can try making the Chars.

zephar123

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Sounds interesting, I got 2 ideas for names for your game. (first one is half way a joke)

Clue 2(sorry I just started thinking of the movie clue as I read it but yours is really new and unique take.)

Now this name I am serious on and may think off of it would be "The House of Peace" Maybe others wont think way I am thinking of that name on a horror story.

On your question about
"I guess my biggest I haven't decided yet part is if I should let the player decide which character to be the main character and you play all three to unlock a final part. You will use all three characters and their skills, as they struggle to solve mysteries and their goals. I am still in the midst of planning this little game, so let me know what you think."

I like the idea you play all three, but I think it should be pretty much all way to end before you play the other. Which can leave alot of mystery in between. You can make it where you hate the one guy completely for an example until you play him and see his part of it. Heck you could even make one of them the villain!!! More I think about this more I like this idea for a game to the point that I would possibly be interested in helping, but not sure if what I can offer would be much of a help or not.

Caitlin

\(=^o^=)/ Kitten shall rule the world!!!
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
(=^_^=) Thanks for all the input! I have put a lot of thought into this game, as it is back from the hayday of my horror story phase of my life. I did do a bit of work on it later, as it used to be three stories. It used to be a generational story, but I felt it would be better with a single story than three. I've made a decision that who you chose you see inner thoughts that actually might change how you see the person. I am NOT going to make the characters all sweet and kind, sometimes, they're going to say things that are not nice. Example:

William: Well, you can just drop dead for all I care...
Mildred: Drop dead? I said that once and you murdered my sister... you f@#$king ...
Franklin: Calm down, this isn't the time for this nonsense.
William: (thought) Please let me discover the truth... I don't want anyone else to be hurt or die...
or
Mildred: (thought) I'm not really mad at him... there's a good chance that he had nothing to do with it.

Mildred a second later: (thought) This is really about my relationship or lack of a relationship with my sister.

Franklin: (thought)Just you try something you ... royal pain in the !@#$!

So, you play the character, but you're going to use all three characters in order to get through the manor. You are actually likely going to go places in town to talk with people as you search the manor. But you are going to be exploring the manor for clues and such.

The Fairchild murders is going to be more connected to William's abilities as he feels that they are a curse and that these spirits are haunting him.
His abilities awoken on the night of his 16th birthday as he didn't have them before, is this important or merely happened at the same time. This is why he feels that they are a curse as he feels the spirits are haunting him for what he might have done.

NOTE: I am trying to get back INTO my horror days, because I really thought about it and discovered that I was coming up with stories that most of the time during the time were not stuff I was watching. I mostly watched 1980s slasher flims, so this story is pretty amazing considering I hadn't played Silent Hill, or any of those other games, with exception of Resident Evil. lol

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

You know your room is too tiny for how much stuff you have when it gives you literal insomnia. I just cleared a bunch of stuff out and man it feels good!
1670381555475.png
Meet the Kernel. You encounter him in cyberspace. He's important!
I released a test version of my game on itch.io. If anyone wants to check it out, here's the link (for now in Brazilian Portuguese only, sorry).

https://rafael-lobo.itch.io/insolita
Back up your project.
When you open MV to check something while answering a question and accidentally leave it running for 10 hours...yes, that is absolutely time I spent working on my project. >_>

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeltaBurst