RMVXA Untold Story (Demo Version Available!)

Meowsticks

Just a person
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA

TITLE.png

Untold Story is my take on the JRPG genre, where a mixture of people come together and ultimately save the world. Players will take control of the main character, form a party with others they meet, defeat Monsters to get stronger, and discover information about the world. Untold Story is very story-heavy and aims to create a fleshed out world with realistic-feeling characters. While story focused, the gameplay holds its own and aims to be simplistic yet deep as more options are opened up in combat to the player. The Demo Version equates to ~1/3 of the full version, but still contains a bunch of content to enjoy. As of posting this message, the full version of Untold Story has no release date, but is still in development so any feedback can and will be used to better the game. :)

Warning: While Untold Story features happier themes of camaraderie and adventure, darker themes of death, depression, and discrimination also play a large role. On another note, some profanity is expressed at points, and simulated gambling will occur as well. Please be aware of this.

Features (in the demo):
  • 6 main playable characters to use during battle.
  • 10-15 hours of playtime, depending largely on how your playstyle is.
  • A heavy emphasis on world building, character development, and story.
  • Over 70 unique NPCs to meet and learn about over the course of the game.
  • A Character Log to easily keep track of all the people you will meet.
  • Several dungeons to test your skills in battle as you gain more weapons and Skills to use.
  • 2 'superbosses' that will test your skills to the highest extreme.
  • Switch Equipment in the middle of battle to be prepared for any situation.
  • 23 Quests to complete and help out the people of the world.
  • 143 Chests to open up and receive the goodies awaiting within.
  • 18 Friend Conversations to have, allowing party members to learn more about each other, and increase their stats!
  • A built-in Randomizer Mode, which will shuffle the contents of all the chests in the game, and can even shuffle the order that party members join the team.
Download:

Story:
The story follows Rover Wilson, an 18 year old from Chilriva, currently learning how to control the Elements of the world: Fire, Ice, Water, and Lightning. Life goes by normally until one day Rover and a few fellow students encounter a strange group meddling with a stone structure they dubbed a "Monument". The situation turns grim for Rover and his friends, but the group is ultimately saved after being mysteriously teleported away from the only home they've known.

Rover ends up in a precarious place, but is saved by a group known as the Purple Pirates. Alone and in an unfamiliar place, he decides it is time to set out. What begins as a simple quest to find his friends, develops into a mission to save the world--by destroying the only things keeping it together. Along the way, Rover meets several people who have their own stories to tell, and ends up learning more about the world, and himself, than he ever wanted to know.

Gameplay:
Untold Story is a turn-based RPG, where the player's party take all of their actions, followed by the enemy taking theirs. During combat, characters can take their actions in any order, and their action is executed immediately, allowing players to choose the best order of operations for a turn in battle. Each of the party members have their own role to play in battle, making each of them a valuable asset to keep around. The two main actions in battles are "Attack" and "Skills" (skills are more akin to Magic in other RPG series).

There are two "main" settings for gameplay: the map and dungeons.
  • On the map, the gameplay revolves around chatting and getting to know the diverse cast of NPCs that live across the world of Atomous. Every NPC in the game is unique, with their own life and story going on. It's up to you if you wish to learn more about them or not.
  • In dungeons, players will fight through random encounters with Monsters and picking up treasure chests filled with various goodies to help the party out, from items to weapons! Defeating Monsters will grant Experience Points to level up your characters and get them stronger.

Screenshots and Videos
Dresko - Copy.png
The strange group and the "Monument"

Roxy.png
Roxy about to use one of her Skills, Status Shots, to inflict Poison.

character.png
The Character Log, with a total of 88 entries in the Demo Version to fill up and read.

MarcusToss.png
Marcus after using one of his Skills, Battle Items, to debuff the enemy.

Watch a battle in action

Party Member Details
RoverFace.png
Rover Wilson
If I had to put Rover into a traditional job class, he would be a "Black Mage". Rover's main use in battle is use the different Elements to exploit the weakness of the enemies, or even create one. Exploiting an Elemental weakness will deal double damage, and with control over all four of them, Rover can easily dish out damage...so long as the enemy has a weakness.

Drake.png
Drake Mantiful
Drake uses "Arms" in battle, but in other terms, he punches Monsters. His Skills allow him to drain HP and SP from enemies, but his real strength lies in his consistency, having decent damage output and high accuracy. With future Skills, he might have a few other tricks up his sleeves that will help out the party greatly.

RoxyFace.png
Roxy Rodriguez
A member of the Purple Pirates, and master with the Bow. Her Attacks are a gamble, featuring low accuracy, but extremely high critical chance. However, her true strength lies in her Skills, Status Shots. These allow her to inflict a variety of Status Ailments onto most enemies--that includes bosses. She might not get the finishing blow very often, but what matters to her is helping others achieve their victory first!

GeoffreyFace.png
Geoffrey Lake
A member of the Royal Guard in Telles, and one of the strongest party members. While Geoffrey is great at dishing out damage, his has many other useful abilities. His Skills, Adjustments, can reduce the damage the party member takes, or can increase the damage the enemy takes. He is also capable of taking hits intended for his allies.

Laz.png
Lazerous (Real Name: ???)
A so-called Witch, Lazerous isn't like the others. Her Skills, Magic, allow her to deal Non-Elemental damage, meaning she can damage any enemy, no matter what. Her Skills also have a secondary effect, from piercing defense to inflicting statuses. She is capable of dealing a ton of damage, but her frail disposition makes her very fragile.

MarcusFace.png
Marcus Hiro
Marcus has many different weapons and techniques, making him a very versatile character. He has several weapons, each with their own trait that makes them better or worse for a given situation, or for the players preference. His Skills, Battle Items, allow him to inflict a variety of debuffs onto the enemies, and even allows him to deal Elemental damage to the entire enemy party.

Credits
Untold Story would not be possible without a large amount of scripts from various people. The abundance of scripts come from Yanfly but here is a full list of scripts used in the Demo Version:

Scripts Used:
Scripts by Yanfly
-Ace Core Engine
-Ace Battle Engine
-Party System
-Free Turn Battle System
-Skill Cost Manager
-Ace Menu Engine
-Status Menu
-State Manager
-Command Equip
-Parameter Equip
-Save Menu
-Item Menu
-Party Size Menu
-Element Absorb
-Elemental Pop Up
-Shop Options
-Victory Aftermath
-Settings
-Passive States
-Combat Log
-Command List
-Enemy HP Bar
-Anti-Fail
-Gab Window
-Ace Message System
-Extra Drops
-Weapon Attack Replace

Script by Hime
Region Names
Party Manager
Multiple Party Merger

Scripts from Forum
aWhiteRaven - Battle Count
Erics - Time Played
Mr. Trivel - Crafting Simple
Shadowmaster - Bestiary
Sakuraba - Custom Encyclopedia
Shaz - Region Common Events
Zeus81 - Full Screen
Mithran - Graphical Object Debugger

Luna Engine DLC Script
(By Rhyme and Archeia_Nessiah)
Quest Menu

I take no credit for any musical track in the game.
All Music Tracks used are from:
RPG Maker VX Ace
RPG Maker MV
IG Maker

Last edited:

Reinarc

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Hey there! I got up to the tentacle boss (I've meant to try out your demo yesterday but it's been a whirlwind of a week). This won't be as comprehensive as you did for me, but I will get to playing more soon and I will edit this.

1. The music. I did recognize a few standard tunes, but it all worked.
  2. Starting off on a snow continent. Yes! Love it.
  3. Likeable characters so far, good dialogue.
  4. No typos so far (I'm jealous).
  5. Battles seem fluid and fast paced. I LOVE the free turn system (I'm assuming it's a plugin? I'm not familiar with anything between 2k3 and MV). Great chance to be strategic.
  6. Love the field items you get from monsters (regen health/mana things). Makes dungeon-ing much easier.
  7. Something else I forgot about, but it's there dang it! Oh yeah, nice Field Skills. I hope those continue to be used throughout the game.
  8. It is awesome that you have an option in the menu to see next steps. Very handy for when people take breaks from the game or generally need guidance.
  1. I know this is a common complaint, but in the ice dungeon I got into battle every 5 steps it seemed. With the field recovery items, it was manageable (plus leveling up has some pretty high bonuses to HP, which helps).
  2. Some maps are a little bare bones so far. Believe me, I'm no one to criticize this as mapping is something I loathe doing (hence why I labeled it things to consider). Again, not sure what the RPG Maker you use has as far as resources.

You're a solid dialogue writer for sure. I enjoyed it.

Meowsticks

Just a person
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@Reinarc Yo thank you so much for playing!! :kaoluv: Every week is a whirlwind of a week. :LZSlol: Glad to see you've enjoyed it so far.

To reply to some of your comments:
No typos so far (I'm jealous).
Key words are "so far". They're coming. :guffaw: Every time I playtest I find like at least a dozen more coming out of nowhere. The worst typos are the ones spell checkers won't catch.

Battles seem fluid and fast paced. I LOVE the free turn system (I'm assuming it's a plugin? I'm not familiar with anything between 2k3 and MV).
That's Yanfly's battle script, and I love it too! It was one of the first scripts I added so the battle system has been with the game for a very very long time.

I know this is a common complaint, but in the ice dungeon I got into battle every 5 steps it seemed. With the field recovery items, it was manageable (plus leveling up has some pretty high bonuses to HP, which helps).
One of my friends playtested this before the demo went live, and the encounter rate was even worse. I raised the encounter rate for pretty much every single dungeon, but that's just the drawback/limitations with random encounters.

In the past I was dead set on having random encounters, but after getting some feedback and especially playing other people's games here, I'm not so dead set on it. It would be a bit of work to revamp it so the battles are visible, but I've definitely seen that there's a large portion that would prefer it that way. I'm not set on changing it right now, but as you called it, it's something to consider for sure.

Some maps are a little bare bones so far. Believe me, I'm no one to criticize this as mapping is something I loathe doing (hence why I labeled it things to consider).
I'd like to think the map design gets better as the game progresses due to how I developed the areas (first area first, second are second, etc) but I suppose I'm not one to judge that. And I will fully admit mapping is not my strong suit. My friends have also said the maps are really (too) big. So yeah maps are something I gotta look more into.

Once again thanks for the feedback! It's good to have different views because they'll catch things you yourself wouldn't otherwise. If/whenever you get around to more I hope you keep enjoying it! The beginning is rather slow admittedly but hopefully it picks up soon.

Meowsticks

Just a person
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Hey, just a quick update!
I put up a new version of the Demo (it's in the same place as the original post). In the earlier build, pressing right during battle would skip the players turn. I've since fixed that so it is no longer possible to skip an entire turn. I also added some QoL buttons: Pressing "Q" and "W" will bring up the Current Goal and Save Menu respectively without need to enter the menu.

I also increased the encounter rate a small bit...but I wouldn't be too concerned with that.
After giving it a lot of thought, I decided I am going to do away with random encounters. Instead, I'll have visible Monster sprites on the field so the player can opt to get into battles or not, or at least know when they will get into one. This will allow me more control over some aspects that would otherwise be random via encounters. I hope it's a change that we can all like. :)

Image of visible Monsters
visiblemonsters.png

The Demo Version still has Random Encounters, as there is a lot I will have to change to switch over to the visible sprites. I hope you understand. Thanks for reading!! :D

Reinarc

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
It is a pain to do on screen encounters, but I think it's well worth it as far as player satisfaction goes, as it gives players more choice.

Alternatively, I don't know what plugins are available, but I think Yanfly has an encounter rate plugin (for MZ at least) where you can specify a minimum number of steps before a new random encounter.

Looking forward to playing it again!

Meowsticks

Just a person
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I think it's well worth it as far as player satisfaction goes, as it gives players more choice.
Oh 100% yes. There's a bunch of stuff I've done that was tedious to do, but it's always worth it at the end if it makes it more streamlined, or just overall gives the player a better experience. It's all in the same vain of any media. Movies take years to make for a 90-120 minute time. People will spend weeks on a 20 minute youtube video.

Reinarc

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Had the time to play some more. Keep working at it man, I was really interested to see what happens. The story seems pretty cool so far. I played until

Rover gets teleported away and meets the Purple Pirates. I'm undecided how I feel about the villains so far. The one armored one seems like he's had too much coffee to drink lol.

I also will play some more. Curious to see more of the combat with more skills involved.

Meowsticks

Just a person
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Thanks for playing it some more!! :)

From where you're at the game is going to pick up a lot more with characters and dungeons, so I hope you enjoy what you play!

And you're going to slowly see more of that group, so hopefully they go over well. :guffaw:

Ouro

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hey, I've only really just started this demo but I have a quibble regarding the tutorial books. Namely, they're, uh, well:

untold2.png
This is what the player needs to know about their stats and how it relates to their attacks. Fine. That's good.
untold1.png
So immediately then dropping the literal damage formula on me is a little bizarre. Especially since it's literally just saying what the previous textbox already said: that Strength+Impact is important to damage and enemy's Defence stops it (all things that are honestly a bit self-evident to begin with).
I know these books are purely optional content but why is this here in the first place?

That the book then immediately goes from telling me the literal damage math to telling me that party members can use skills by spending skill points is a lot of whiplash as well.

Meowsticks

Just a person
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@Ouro
First of all thanks for playing it and thank you for the feedback! :)

I opted to include the full damage formula for attacks to be as transparent as possible. There's a lot of games that hide data that people would like to know, and I didn't want to do that. However, reading your take on it I do see the issues. It's redundant and a bit jarring with it.

The Info Pages (which those specific bookshelves are taken from) were the last major things I did before releasing the first version of the demo, and thus I didn't have nearly as much time to fine tune them as I did with other aspects. I already know there's a lot of other Info Pages that I could/should improve on, so any feedback on how well those work/don't work is appreciated.

Thanks again for the feedback I'm definitely going to try and improve those before the full release. If you continue playing I hope you enjoy it! :D

Meowsticks

Just a person
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Hey!
I've been away for a bit but that's because I've been working on the No More Random Encounters Update! You'll never guess what it includes.

You can still use the link in the original post, or I can just link it here because you're already reading this and now you won't have to go back to the original post.

What's changed in this Version 1.2 update?
  • The big thing is the removal of random encounters. No more getting stopped by some unseen Monster. Instead, Monsters will roam about the map inside dungeons.
    • Some walk randomly, some will head towards you, others have their own path to follow. Some are slow, some are fast. You get the idea. If the lead player touches a Monster, or if the Monster touches the lead player, a battle will ensue! This gives players the chance to avoid encounters they don't want.
    • Defeating one of the Monster parties that roam about will remove them from the field forever. There's a reason for this, just trust me. (aka I'm not changing that). Using Roxy's Field Skill you can still call forth encounters though, so EXP is not limited.
    • Very few Monsters are required to fight (outside bosses of course) giving players the chance to fight how many they want. And yes, it's possible to beat the demo with only fighting the bosses.
  • I've changed some of the dialogue and Info Pages to reflect this major change. I hope I got everything relating to Monsters, but if something is odd, that's probably why.
  • I altered some Monsters, namely the Rugged Rage boss and the Empire Bat to make them not as easy and not as hard, respectively.
  • This isn't what changed, but rather what didn't change: pretty much everything else. This whole update is essentially removing random encounters and adding visible ones. I fixed a few typos and stuff, but there's not much else to the update other than the encounters.
Obviously this whole visible encounter thing won't be perfect, and I'm sure there will be issues, which is why I wanted to get the demo version to include it asap once I decided on it, so I could get some feedback on what works and what doesn't work regarding the visible enemies. If you even took the time to read this lengthy thing, thanks! :D And if you decide to try it out, thank you even more. :kaoluv:

This was a nice distraction from writing dialogue for ~80 characters :LZSlol: but I'm kind of excited to get back to that aspect again.

Trihan

Speedy Scripter
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
The download link doesn't seem to be working.

Meowsticks

Just a person
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Hmm, I looked into it and my best guess seems to be it's on Game Jolt's end? I'll dig deeper and see what I can find.

In the meantime the best I can do at this moment is offer a Google Drive download link while I try I get that back up. Sorry for the inconvenience. :(

Trihan

Speedy Scripter
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
My inconvenience was far too great for a mere apology to assuage it. Psh and piffle. Piffle I say!

(by which I mean thank you very much)

Meowsticks

Just a person
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Okay from what I could find (which wasn't a lot) this is something on their end. It's happening to some games on their site, while some are fine. From what I found this happened before, and then it...got fixed? There was no info on how or why it was fixed, it just was. Soooo from my understanding there's nothing I can do about it right now, but I'll try again tomorrow to reupload it and see if it works then. For now at least I have the other link. Sorry everyone, but that's the internet for ya, what are you going to do. :guffaw:

Trihan

Speedy Scripter
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
The Google Drive link worked fine.

Okay! I'm heading to bed now but here are my thoughts so far and all the typos I found since someone said there weren't any... XD

Exposition dump in the intro "narration" could be shown rather than told.

Intro narration:
"used them against use" should be "used them against us".
"occured" should be "occurred"
"Overtime" should be "Over time"

Oh man it has collectibles my life is over

Rover's internal monologue after talking to the professor:
"embarass" should be "embarrass"

Music in the school is catchy, not a track I've heard before but I like it.

I'm getting a kind of Harry Potter vibe from this, down to the appearance of the MC and the trio of ragtag companions. XD

Also everyone seems to be a bit of an exposition dump so far. Not necessarily a bad thing but it can make dialogue seem stilted at times if they just bombard you with information.

Book about stats:
"preform" in the SP explanation should be "perform" both times.
"inflcited" in the luck explanation should be "inflicted". The max is cut off as it didn't fit in the message box.

Book about battles:
"occured" should be "occurred".

Book about arms skills:
"fighters" should be "fighter's".
"absorbtion" should be "absorption".
"will power" should be "willpower".

The school map is a bit big and bare, might be worth adding in some decoration or making it slightly smaller. The rooms don't need to be as big as they are considering how much empty space there is.

Help description for Drake's Absorb skill:
"use" should be "user".

Minor nitpick, but given that their descriptions are almost identical, it's inconsistent for Drain Punch to say "the enemy" and Absorb to say "one enemy".

The Armored Knight says "worse some tower" and I'm pretty sure there's a missing "than" in there.

Recipe book in Rover's house:
"recipies" should be "recipes" both times.

Kiki's dialogue:
"me either!" should be "me neither!" but that could be a speech style issue on Kiki's part so not necessarily a typo.

Okay Marco is adorable. You've done a really good job of bringing your characters to life, even with stuff as simple as the water treatment rota. Your worldbuilding is good outside of exposition-heavy dialogues. :)

When talking to Kiki's mum:
"Profressor" should be "Professor".

When talking to Olga in the eatery:
"natrual" should be "natural".

The grouping up for the field test is giving me serious Naruto Chunin Exam vibes. :D

Talking to Sefra after exploring the igloo:
"Abandonded" should be "Abandoned". This is also the case when Rover talks about it when waking up the day of the exam.

The description of Drake's Arms says "issues" when it should be "issued".

In the refresher on how to battle as a group, Rover says "to our advantage is other ways" when it should be "in". Kiki also says "out actions" when it should be "our". And again, "occured" should be "occurred".

Kiki's level up message:
"everyday" should be "every day".

Info page on field skills:
"obstalces" should be "obstacles".

Friend conversation explanation:
"permanetly" should be "permanently" and "characters" should be "characters'"
The info page says "pathyway" when it should be "pathway".

When interacting with the jellyfish:
"vaugely" should be "vaguely".
"seemed" should be "seem".

Ky talking about the Cosse Shrine:
"straight forward" should be "straightforward".
"out thirst for knowledge" should be "our".
"aquisition" should be "acquisition".
"disrepectful" should be "disrespectful".
"interupt" should be "interrupt".

Talking to Sefra after Ky's speech:
"know" should be "known".

Talking to Ky after Ky's speech:
"natrually" should be "naturally".

It's hard to take the bad guys seriously because of how juvenile their dialogue is. XD

Bad guys talking:
"uninterupted" should be "uninterrupted".

Last edited:

Meowsticks

Just a person
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Well this is super embarrassing and dumb but rather than get upset at myself I'll just use it as a message to every developer out there.

Bottom line is: in my haste I uploaded the wrong version to google drive. :LZSsad:

I've already changed it AND doubled checked it so the link in the original post is now the ~correct~ version. So lesson learned: always, always, ALWAYS check your upload yourself before handing it out. Always playtest, always take the time to ensure it's the right version. Don't be like me. ;_;

@Trihan
I was wondering why when I was reading that I was like "okay I swear I've fixed some of those typos before" :guffaw: Most of them are probably fixed in the correct version, but everything else you stated is good feedback, so thank you for that! I 100% agree about some of the maps being too big, something I really need to work on. And that black screen intro is literally because I didn't (and still don't) know what I want to put there. When I figure that out it will be more visual for sure. Thanks for playing and for the feedback I really appreciate it! And if this whole mistake of mine doesn't discourage you from playing more I hope you enjoy the correct version! :D

tl;dr I messed up but it's fixed now you can download the right version in the original post, it will say "V 1.2" in the bottom right of the title screen.

Trihan

Speedy Scripter
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Haha not discouraged at all. :) I like to use my super proofreading powers for good anyway. I'm glad you'd already fixed most of the ones I spotted, that's less work for you. <3

Meowsticks

Just a person
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
That's good! :) Please feel free to point out any typo cause I know there are more. I've proofread dozens of times but I'm convinced that it's impossible to fully proofread your own work, because you're used to your mistakes and errors and thus never notice they are wrong. So anyone else looking at it is a blessing.

Reinarc

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I was wondering because I didn’t see any of those typos when I played. So it was a different version or do I need to get my old man reading glasses? :LZSskeptic:

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

I realized I kinda have a habit of making threads and sometimes not thinking them through. I should work on this.
TeamEdel.png

Realized halfway through drawing this that the female protagonist's party is growing bigger. :guffaw:
oddly enough, at this point... 3 major things have kept me from porting my project to MZ... animations, and that's mainly because they don't match the artstyle of my game. and two... I NEED a YED Sideview Battler like plugin and I have yet to see one. 3rd, I don't have the money for all the stuff I need plugin wise. and I already have it on MV... lol
Generally speaking, would there be interest in some form of tutorial regarding general project management? I see there are a lot of indie/self-taught devs around here, and looking back i feel like there was a lack of resources on how to properly manage a project that might take several years to finish
I've been working on some ABS team A.I. for 'A New Suburbia', and thought I'd share.

I'm generally quite please although the AI is a little grenade heavy right now :rolleyes: - Sneaking and stalking next! Please excuse the terrible map... it was just for ease of viewing!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BigChungus21