RMVXA Untold Story (Demo Version Available!)

Lady_JJ

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Drake starts out with no items and no coins. I don't have a save game prior with Drake prior to the cerberus, but I do have one just after beating it. I have 5 standard potions, 1 group potion and 2 elixirs. I also have 274 coins, so not sure how much more I could have bought. All treasure chests thus far were successfully open and contents retrieved.
I always feel that I've failed my players if I allow them to die, so I was really saddened with the two events in Flora Forest. The first was when the two manor bodyguards accompanied Drake to Marcus' hideout. Just at the exit, they were ambushed by something or other, I don't really recall. One bodyguard told Drake to stay in the back and they'd protect him. Of course they didn't protect him, he had no choice but to die and then be revived. That was disappointing. The best I could do was to revive him before the battle ended so (1) I could pretend he was just knocked out and not really dead and (2) at least he'd receive the exp points. It seems to me if Drake was completely useless during that battle, at least he could have been removed from the party, thus spared. Might have been a good time for Drake to reflect that if he were, indeed, alone, he'd be no match and maybe it was time for him to learn to run...
The second was, of course, with the cerberus. I don't remember Drake's level, but I couldn't keep him alive. I again resorted to just making sure he was alive at the end of the battle. It was at this point that I decided running away and staying alive was just too much of an effort. Not being able to win battles just wasn't any fun and I gave up. But then I did go back to the game.
I had to flee from many enemies. That all changed when Rover and Roxy joined forces with Drake.
I could then return to all those places and hunt those baddies down, but only because of Roxy's summoning skill at the purple torches. That's where I ending up grinding for experience and healing. I knocked off every enemy save the weakest, then just used the 'stand back' option for oh-so-many turns until everyone had their HP/SP restored. I spent a LOT of time with this summon/stand back cycle. But finally I was able to engage in a few successive battles. For me, it was tedious, but very necessary.
Once Rover gained the AOE element upgrades, life, well staying alive anyway, became a lot easier. It wasn't until then that I could experiment with using Rover's HP and Roxy's SP restoring decisive skills, but even that was difficult because DP isn't something that readily increases. Still, it was better than standing back for 20+ rounds, and I finally felt like I was able to incorporate some strategy into the game.
At the moment I have 15 hours into the game. I have finished the demo, but apparently there are some other places I can/could have visited. So I'm tying up some loose ends before entering Heavenly Shrine.

My thoughts are similar to @kimo , the story is told well, but the battles, especially early on, are really hard and it's difficult to recover. The tower is the complete opposite. The enemies aren't much tougher, but you have easy access to full healing. Why not spread a few of these healing springs around the world? Flora Forest, in particular, could definitely use a replenishing site. A bubbling brook maybe?

Stand back doesn't seem to offer much protection, like a typical guard. I could find no difference in the amount of damage I took whether I fought, cast a spell, used an item, or just stood back. It would have been nice for stand back to have a little defensive boost.

I get your rationale for the different equipment, and it all makes sense. There's a pro and con to every choice. I actually like that setup. I also agree that once you get to a high enough level and can upgrade some skills, there is strategy involved and it's not just luck. My strategy against the hydra was similar to what you outlined, but Rover was the key fighter for me.
Rover used tidal wave first, then spammed with storm. Drake's DP trick was helpful. Levels were approx 18 for all.
This is a super-ambitious project and I applaud you for it. There are a lot of add-ons (quests, crafting, friendship, etc.), yet I didn't encounter any real glitch. That's amazing in a game of this magnitude. My concern is that staying alive/healthy early on may deter players. As I said, I was ready to give up, but persevered because kimo thought so much of the game.

Now, about those loose ends...
EXP Sphere Lvl 1 = 317, EXP Sphere Lvl2 = 9 ?Not well balanced?
My menu still contains one ??? between Bestiary and Current Goal
Quest Log: Lenali needs a relaxant, Mimicry 2 of 4 counterfeits (are these other 2 available in the current build?), Family Bonds-I can't find Ricky. Shouldn't he be at the Purple Pirates' Hideout?
Still working on Arcade Challenge and Strong Blessing but these types of mini-games aren't my favorite puzzles and I may or may not succeed.
The Igloo Ghost.... uh, sure, still trying to work out a strategy
Thanks for taking the time to read this. Please note that I think you've uploaded a more current version and perhaps some of these issues have already been addressed. Good luck with your project. It certainly shows a great deal of talent, dedication and hard work.

@kimo - just read your post above. Did you not have the corsage that allows 2 actions per turn?

Last edited:

Meowsticks

Just a person
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@kimo
First of all, congrats on beating it! :) I believe I did upload a newer version where Purity Incarnate is easier late last night, so I think you did that on the slightly harder version!

Thanks for the feedback on items. One thing I will absolutely do in the next update is lower the cost of items to make them more available. I have a few other ideas regarding items as well to hopefully make it not such a scarce resource.

I really like your idea about that 'First Aid' Skill, which made me come up with a completely different idea:
Skill "scrolls" that can permanently grant a character special Decisive Skills, like a 'First Aid' one that cost less DP but will self-restore the character. It could be taught to whoever, and there would be multiple. I could make a few of those scrolls as well to have different decisive skills. That's just my idea, I think it could help with the healing issues and add some small level of customization with picking who can use it.

As far as Frozen, it's removed upon any damage at all. Now that I think about it, I don't think that info is stated anywhere in the game, like anywhere. So, oops. There's a lot of info I need to convey better (like which enemies are dealing skill damage compared to standard, etc), I will make sure that gets done sooner rather than later.

@Lady_JJ
Thank you for playing and providing feedback! :)

I like that idea with Drake sitting out of the fight. I remember when I first designed that fight I opted to have him in the battle but for the life of my I can't remember why...probably because there wasn't really a good reason for it. Having him sit out makes way more sense.
As for Cerberus, yeah that's on me. That whole section needs reworking and ideally that boss will be much easier and much better designed than, as kimo correctly put it, inflict poison to win.

The torches are essentially for grinding yes, I'm glad that at least was clear with everything else being muddled.

I get the idea with more healing points in dungeons. There are bits of 'experiments' in dungeons (the teleporters in the forest, the healing springs in the tower) so if the full heals help alleviate issues I can easily include more (plus it would also help resolve the resource issue).

I replaced the standard 'Guard' command with stand by which, as you noticed, doesn't provide defensive boosts, just a small restorative one. I suppose I could add it to do that (plus if enemies/boss give a sign of a stronger attack coming, the player can opt to either stand back and reduce damage or go for the attack).

For those loose ends:
-The player would start to find more Level 2 EXP Spheres from where the demo ends, it's more a product of the game being longer and not being able to get everything the full version will have.
-That 3rd ??? setting was more of a tease, though now it's more of nothing. That extra option was originally an option to disable random encounters, but since those no longer exist...it's nothing at the moment.
-I'm pretty sure I made it so every item Lenali needs can be either purchased or crafted, I don't remember where the relaxant is, but you shouldn't technically be unable to get it at all. Ricky in later parts of the story is in Ahoy Cafe. I try to move around NPCs a bit to give them more realism as nobody stays in one spot all the time. All four of the counterfeits should be available. I'm not sure which ones you fought already, but the locations are:
Tower of the Monument, 3F
Witch's Cave - W/E Connector
Flora Forest - Forest Thicket
Empire Tree - Royal Lounge
-As said, that ghost is one of the super bosses, and it can be a challenge even for me (and as we all learned that's probably not good news for average players). I can confirm it is beatable.

Thank you for the compliment. I've spent a lot of time trying to ensure things work and don't break. From all the feedback it seems the biggest issue by far is just staying alive and not getting fed up during tough battles. I will definitely work to improve that aspect. My friend says this about TV shows, but it could apply to anything really: "If it takes 3 seasons for a show to get good, why should I put in the time to watch the first 2 seasons?" I think I could better follow that approach in the beginning. It doesn't matter if there is more strategy as you gain more levels and tools if people quit early on.

Thanks to both of you for the detailed feedback, I have a much better grasp on what to improve and how to improve it. It appears most of the big issues come down to the gameplay portion, which I expected because that is my weaker point. Does anyone have any strong opinions on the story or the characters? I hope they are well created enough to get a gauge on who they are and how the story will progress.

Lady_JJ

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
It was probably my misunderstanding. I thought Mother Nature said all the quests could/should be completed by the end of the demo. Hard to call 15 hours of gameplay a 'demo', though. ;)
I'll need to retrace my steps as I must have missed one mimic and I thought I had opened all the chests. Apparently not. As for the
Either I just don't remember that name or I haven't yet explored the Empire Tree. Good thing Davey's not in any hurry to get his boat back!
I like the story and I like the characters. Not a big fan of Drake's language when he gets frustrated, and I definitely feel his rage comes through without the colorful language, but, you're the storyteller and you can tell it any way you want. Language aside, yes, I believe the characters are really well developed. I do find the witch annoying but I suspect her skills are going to endear me to her in no time.

Meowsticks

Just a person
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Pretty much everything after the last fight is "post-game" (or post-demo) and there are few things that can only be done when entering into that switch. It was more of a way to add more content from later in the game.
I'm glad to hear you like the story and characters. I tend to avoid cursing in general, and only include it if I feel it's needed to characterize someone or set the tone. There's only two characters in the entire game that use full-on curse words. I'm not opposed to toning his usage down if it makes people feel a bit more comfortable. And Lazerous the witch is one of those characters I feel is either just annoying or well-liked. :LZSlol:

kimo

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
@kimo - just read your post above. Did you not have the corsage that allows 2 actions per turn?
Nope, never found that item. Was it in one of those mimic-like chests? That sure would make Marcus one serious powerhouse (i.e. water/lightning).

I'm glad to hear you like the story and characters. I tend to avoid cursing in general, and only include it if I feel it's needed to characterize someone or set the tone. There's only two characters in the entire game that use full-on curse words. I'm not opposed to toning his usage down if it makes people feel a bit more comfortable. And Lazerous the witch is one of those characters I feel is either just annoying or well-liked.
I also have enjoyed the characters. Nobody really seems flat and the story is solid (even if maybe too verbose for some players). Lazerous has a great spell, but that is all so far. I neither like/dislike the character. Good luck in ever getting a recluse to explore the world. I grew up in a place where some people had never left the state.

Re: the language used. While it is okay for me, I have never found cursing to be necessary to express emotions. A simple #$%@ or even a more serious &%@!#$! gets the point across much better than a possibly humorous "expletives deleted" or censored bar.:guffaw:

-As said, that ghost is one of the super bosses, and it can be a challenge even for me (and as we all learned that's probably not good news for average players). I can confirm it is beatable.
I just assumed it's too early in the game to kick some ghost butt.

Is it possible to go back and fight those 4 chests at this point in the game? I haven't moved since defeating the medusa-headed hydra.

Meowsticks

Just a person
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Is it possible to go back and fight those 4 chests at this point in the game?
If you haven't done anything since beating Purity Incarnate, than no. Once the party enters Angel Lake they are unable to leave until after the story is done in that area (which is basically the next thing where you're at). The logic behind this is that the party has no story related reasons to leave the area, so there's not way to explain why they would leave (that is more of a personal thing to me, I will admit). The most egregious example of a party leaving a place they shouldn't is in Xenoblade Chronciles:
After the beginning of the Fallen Arm, which is completely disconnected from the Bionis, the party can travel to the Bionis despite there being absolutely no way the characters can leave this place, they can still just teleport away.
From a gameplay perspective, yeah letting players go where they want, when they want is optimally the best, but it's just something that bothers me. Once you finish everything at Angel Lake though, everywhere in the demo is available to travel to (outside the beginning area, but I made sure that nothing is there)

I've got a ton of ideas on how to improve, so whenever I get the time again I'm going get working on a 1.3 version to hopefully fix some of these issues.

Last edited:

Lady_JJ

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
If you haven't done anything since beating Purity Incarnate, than no. Once the party enters Angel Lake they are unable to leave until after the story is done in that area (which is basically the next thing where you're at). The logic behind this is that the party has no story related reasons to leave the area, so there's not way to explain why they would leave (that is more of a personal thing to me, I will admit). The most egregious example of a party leaving a place they shouldn't is in Xenoblade Chronciles:
After the beginning of the Fallen Arm, which is completely disconnected from the Bionis, the party can travel to the Bionis despite there being absolutely no way the characters can leave this place, they can still just teleport away.
From a gameplay perspective, yeah letting players go where they want, when they want is optimally the best, but it's just something that bothers me. Once you finish everything at Angel Lake though, everywhere in the demo is available to travel to (outside the beginning area, but I made sure that nothing is there)

I've got a ton of ideas on how to improve, so whenever I get the time again I'm going get working on a 1.3 version to hopefully fix some of these issues.
This is a game in which the second playthrough is better than the first. I think it's a combination of just understanding the battle mechanics better (what can I say? I'm a slow learner), and not pushing ahead so quickly that I'm able to explore more and just enjoy the story more. I don't think you changed the normal troops at all, but I'm finding them much more manageable. Not so say I don't die every now and then, but it's at least not a struggle to win battles. That said,
umm... yeah, they were pushovers. The regular battles in Flora Forest were far more challenging. The behometh was gone in 3 rounds and didn't cast its ground shaking spell so no one, not even Drake, was seriously injured. The cerberus still had that triple attack but he was gone in 3 rounds as well without inflicting damage of any consequence. I don't think my strategy was anything spectacular.
In Crystal Caverns, Level B5F still has random encounters.
I have the Family Bonds quest, but when I interact with Ricky in the Ahoy Cafe, he just tells me to 'Stay Safe.' I haven't yet gone to Angel Lake, but since I have the quest and the letter, I think I should be able to give the letter to Ricky.
I found several more quests this time. Yay! But I'm still missing a few. Earlier, at the courtyard leading to Telles Castle, Otto found a crack in the foundation and said he heard scratching and growling. Does this lead to a quest? I 've gone back a few times but nothing else seems to be happening there. I do have the Ambush Intel quest, but it doesn't appear to be related, at least not yet.

Meowsticks

Just a person
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
The Behemoth fight was never meant to be a challenging fight, it was more just to show how strong Xeno and Via are. It actually ended up harder than I anticipated, so I just rolled with it. :LZSlol: Noted for the Cerberus fight. It's in a bit of a difficult place, with the player having few options by having to "start fresh" with Drake. I could try and give more options, or use it more as a means to teach players about Drake and Marcus' skills better (like DP Trick).

• The random encounters still...oops, just missed a floor when clearing them out. I'm surprised I never ran into them.
  • With Ricky, that's my bad. The Self Switch A is placed in a bad spot so it locked you out of completing the quest (just at that moment, after Angel Lake you can complete it). I changed the way it works in all other instances, just missed that one.
  • Some quests can't be done until after Angel Lake. As for the crack Otto was looking at, that is teasing for a quest not in the demo.
    In fact, you've probably seen more of those holes around the world. They are not there on accident.
    Ambush Intel is unrelated. I was kind of mixed on whether to include it or not, since it doesn't do anything in the demo, but I opted to add it since it is teasing up for a pretty big sidequest in the full game.
Thanks for playing the game a second time! :) I must be doing something right if you're willing to play it twice. I've got a lot of free time today so I'll get some good work done on a bigger update, and fix those issues you mentioned as well.

Lady_JJ

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I did finish the demo. I was able to complete all side quests and 18/18 friendship spots. I somehow missed one treasure chest and found only 9/15 hidden items. I'm not concerned about the hidden items, but 0/2 exalted ones? Are they maybe the lion beast at the top of Empire Tree and the Igloo Ghost. I couldn't touch either of them. I'll keep trying.

My favorite boss battle was Sigma. My favorite non-boss battle was the group blocking entrance to the Fortune House in the Empire Tree.

I cleared out most of the Empire Tree before I received the quest from Davy. Drove me crazy that I couldn't find a shovel! I kept wanting to type
GIVE HAMMER
GET SHOVEL
But, of course, that didn't work. Then I finally got the quest and returned there. The cutscene was as though I had never been there before. With the amount of attention to detail you've given this game, this stands out to me. I'm wondering if maybe the tree's entrance climbing vine could be one tile high of the ground so you can't explore until you get the quest. Maybe even add a switch so if the party's been there before, they could mention to Davy that they think they've been to that tree but couldn't climb it, but they'll explore again or something.
Ambush Intel did tie into a late-demo quest, killing the ogre that was keeping Tammy from climbing the Pirate lookout tower, so it didn't seem out of place at all. And if there's a bigger ogre sidequest coming up, then having the two work well to keep you from forgetting about the ogre king.

About the destructed monuments
After the group questioned how the Empire Tree monument could be destroyed if it were supposed to be indestructible, I returned to the Fallen Shrine in Twisted Valley expecting the group to comment on yet another destructed monument. Nothing happens. I'm assuming later in the game this monument will become important as well but it seems weird the group makes no comment now.

Great game. I'm going to enjoy following the development of this one. :)

Edit-Finally beat both exalted ones. Good thing I wasn't much of a potion user in any of the other battles because I seriously depleted my stock with these two. :)

Last edited:

kimo

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
@Lady_JJ
I depleted most of my potions fighting Sigma. Thankfully he kept announcing his inventory of HP potions. But, it doesn't seem fair fighting a boss with reflection ability that keeps killing players until you figure it out and also has the ability to restore 1500+HP per potion.

What's an exalted one? I don't even remember anyone talking about them.

@Meowsticks
Is the Strong Blessing quest (timed event) required to finish the game? Homey don't play dat. :frown:

I'm also not going to complete the Arcade Quest. 5000 tokens? Rediculous waste of time and money in my mind.

I'm going to wait for the newest version (v.1.3) to be released before I play a second time. My characters are just lvl 10-11 and that seems too low, but I don't like grinding. And I also really want to see the changes you are making.

Meowsticks

Just a person
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Exalted Ones are just the name I used for the super bosses. I didn't just want to call them superbosses so it seemed like a good enough name. But yeah, it's the Empire Tree beast and the Igloo Ghost.

@Lady_JJ
Congrats on beating them!! I've been curious if I should change them a bit, considering they are optional and they are meant to be difficult. You've shown they are beatable by people other than me, but I guess that leaves the question: where they enjoyable to fight? Or was it just a frustrating mess of a battle?

About the Empire Tree: I made as an optional area the player could just explore early if they wanted, but kind of considered it non-canon. Though you make a good point that if you do go there, the characters should at least reference that fact.

About the Fallen Shrine: There will be a friend conversation there in the full game to talk more about it, but I do get that, especially after the Empire Tree, having nobody bring it up is a big weird. Even a single text box about it could go a long way.

@kimo
I was a bit worried about putting potions on Sigma (that potion counter wasn't even there originally, but I realized people might think he would never stop using them if there was no indication), but it felt like the right thing to do as in that case you're fighting another human character which, at least battle design wise, is very different from everything else.
That's why Sigma has items, because a character would have items. The skill reflect is to represent his own decisive skill like your party members. I don't want to change the fight too much, except maybe a few minor tweaks (how long skill reflect lasts, how much the potion heals). There's a change I'm implementing that I feel will change the strategy at least a tiny bit that might improve it already.

As for the strong blessing (and the arcade) quests, they are purely optional. You do get some nice rewards (in the case of the arcade, the redeemable prizes in the arcade are nice), but you don't actually have to do it to beat the game. They are more just fun(fun being subjective) distractions to the normal beat monsters --> talk to people gameplay.

Hopefully you'll like V1.3 I've already made some changes that should make dying and a lack of resources not a problem, plus more. :)

kimo

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
SIgma was hard and consumed lots of party resources, but it was not impossible because I am a potion hoarder. Sigma's 2 big spells could have a slight adjustment to their frequency. There were times where the party had only 1 turn to inflict major damage and the other turns were used for healing and "guarding" to regain TP/MP/HP. This is a battle where Poison is your friend and I would have had the archer in there if I had figured it out earlier. Yeah, I know you can switch party characters.

Glad to hear that timed sequence isn't required. And the arcade seems like more of a bother than it's worth (IMHO).

Lady_JJ

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I only used a couple of potions if that to fight Sigma. He was more of a 'just wear him down little by little' kind of guy. I liked knowing he only had 2-1-0 potions left. I also liked knowing about his skill shield. Sure wish someone in my party knew that skill. :) I truly enjoyed that fight.
I don't think I would have been able to beat the evil lion without having read your prior notes about Purity Incarnate. Twice Marcus used his decisive Poison Bomb and twice the lion retaliated with Last Resort (?). (I might be mixing up the lion with the ghost here.) It wasn't until the second time that I remembered you saying Purity Incarnate wouldn't come back with such a devastating all out attack if poison weren't used. So the third try, I did not use Poison Bomb and he finally fell.
I used the same strategy, just hit little by little and hope for some lucky lands. Physical didn't seem to do anything, so it was important to keep those spells coming: Rover's Nuke, Roxy's Gum Arrow, Laz' Piercera. Geoffrey and Marcus pretty much handed out potions. It helped that frozen characters actually seemed to be healed to ice spells. Tell you what, though, that sudden behind-the-back appearance when the fight was over, that was a little unsettling. Nice touch!
They were tough battles, but not unwinnable battles if you know what provokes those game ending AOE spells. I wonder if somehow that could be conveyed to the player in battle. Just thinking out loud here. Maybe the Igloo Ghost could say something on the lines of "You DARE to use poison against me? See how you like THIS then!" The player would at least be given a clue to avoid that on the next try. Or maybe Marcus could say, with his dying breath, "That poison bomb must have triggered some inert energy of his... I'll know better in my next lifetime..." Other than that, I felt they were more enjoyable than frustrating.

@kimo about the arcade, it wasn't that hard. Just save the game, make a bet, if you win, great, if not, quit/no save and try again. As for the Strength Race, unless I missed something, it's just money. There is enough time to beat it. I did with 1 or 2 seconds to spare. It's not like some unforgiving races where all you have to do is take 2 steps too many rounding a corner and you'll never make it in time. If I can make it there at the last second on my third attempt, then I think the vast majority of people aren't going to have any problem.

I forgot that you could turn the arcade tickets in for prizes. I'm going to go back to see if there is anything that would make either of those exalted ones a bit less challenging.

kimo

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
@Lady_JJ
You have spells I never heard of before. Being underleveled is a serious problem in this game. I feel like ShadowDragon because I beat some of them at the lowest levels (9-10). That's why I'm going to restart when there is a new build.

Meowsticks

Just a person
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Thanks for the feedback on those fights @Lady_JJ :)

@kimo
Being under leveled could be a big problem without good knowledge of the mechanics (as you've shown it's technically possible, but pretty annoying and luck based. Hopefully with the changes, it will allow and encourage players to fight the majority of battles without as much worry and thus be able to keep up levels.

I'm still in the midst of it, but I'm changing up the flow of Drake's story going through the valley and forest, not giving the players the idea they should be running, and making the fights more balanced so players are incentivized to fight them and thus be on level with the boss.

Meowsticks

Just a person
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Version 1.3 of Untold Story Demo is now live! :D

Short version of changes:
  • Removed the Status Immunity Accessories. They have been replaced with different accessories.
  • Added a few items called DScrolls, which will teach a chosen character a special Decisive Skill.
  • Changed the flow of Drake's story in the Twisted Valley and Flora Forest.
  • Change Drake's DP Trick Skill into Perceptive Punch, an entirely new move that removes statuses.
  • Visible enemies will back away from the player if they escape, giving the player time to avoid the conflict and not get trapped in a battle.
  • Stand By will now give a minor 10% boost to Defense and Mind on that turn.
  • Made items more accessible.
  • Made full heal spots in dungeons.
  • Balance changes with Skills and Monsters.
  • Some minor dialogue changes.
Overall, the goal of this updated version is to give players a better chance of surviving with more items, more ways to heal between and in battles, so they will be on par with levels. Between the DScrolls and the new accessories, I hope this will also improve the strategy at least a little in the earlier parts of the game. I want to thank everyone who has given me feedback so far. This game has changed a lot in this month, and it wouldn't have done that without your input! :D I also want to thank anybody who has played it at all, regardless of if you gave feedback. The fact you even took the time to download it and start it means so much to me! :kaoluv:

I hope everyone likes the changes and I will put everything I've learned to use as I continue with the full version!

• New items called DScrolls have been added. When used, they will teach one of the main party members a new Decisive Skill. There are 4 different skills in total, and 8 DScrolls in total. Five new treasure chests have been added to house some of these items.
  • The 4 new Skills are:
  • Rejuvenate: The user restores 25% of their Max HP and Max SP.
  • Refresh: Cure one ally of Burn, Poison, Venom, Static, Blind, and Confusion.
  • Power Up: Increase Strength and Skill by 50% for five turns.
  • Defense Up: Increase Defense and Mind by 50% for five turns.
  • Here's a list of where to find them, if you don't wish to look for yourself:
    [*]3 Rejuvenate DScrolls: 1 given by Sefra in the story, 1 inside the Dragon's Room, 1 on the 6F of Angel Pathway
    [*]1 Refresh DScroll: Found in the Fairy's Den.
    [*]2 Power Up DScrolls: 1 given by Davy in the story, 1 inside the Flora Forest
    [*]2 Defense Up DScrolls: 1 given by Tysol in the story, 1 inside the Spire Cave.
  • The cost of items has been greatly reduced, meaning stocking up should be no hassle.
  • Fixed Ricky's event Pre-Angel Lake so that you can complete the quest Family Bonds
  • Removed random encounters that were still present on Coastal Cavern B5F
  • Accessories that prevented Statuses (i.e. Vaccine, Flame Earring, etc) have been removed entirely. I actually made this change in the full game a while ago, but I finally put it in the demo. If you wish to discover these on your own, I'll let you, but here is a list of what I added:
    [*]Lucky Lucky: Increases Luck by 10%
    [*]Tracking Pin: Increases Target Rate by 200%
    [*]Heat Mod: Adds a 15% chance to inflict Burn with Standard Attacks
    [*]Muck Mod: Adds a 15% chance to inflict Sticky with Standard Attacks
    [*]Shock Bracelet: Inflicts Static on the wearer when equipped.
    [*]Decisive Poison: Inflicts Poison on the wearer when equipped, but grants 10 DP a turn, and earn double the DP when hit.
  • Increased damage slightly on Drake's HP drain Skills.
  • Added Full Restore points in every dungeon aside from Igloo Cavern.
  • Made more items (i.e. Book of Skills, Life Drink variants) more accessible in shops.
  • Increased damage on Piercera and Limitera to make up for the increased SP cost.
  • Purity Incarnate and Evil Manifestation will no longer retaliate with a party wipe when Poisoned or Burned. Instead, the status will now only last 1 turn.
  • Increased the amount of SP enemies have.
  • Reduced the damage and amount of HP the enemies in Twisted Valley have.
  • Changed the entire dungeon flow of Drake's Story. I will post the new route here, skip if you wish to see for yourself.
    Drake and Marcus are intended and able to beat all Monsters in the Twisted Valley -> Flora Forest is skipped and not explored -> Drake travels with Xeno and Via, and again the forest is skipped and not explored -> Drake, Marcus, and Virgil now explore the forest, this being the first time it can be explored. The normal enemies in the forest are not present at this time, instead replaced by smaller mobs that are more manageable for the trio of characters -> Cerberus fight happens as before.
  • Virgil begins at a higher level.
  • Drake sits out during the battle against the Behemoth.
  • When Marcus initially joins Drake, he comes with a bunch of items as well, because Marcus would have items on him.
  • Drake's DP Trick Skill has been replaced with Perceptive Punch. It is a weak attack on an ally that will remove Confusion, Rage, and Traitor.
  • Made a small change with Counterfeits.
    They are a slightly darker tint than other chests, making them stand out more as mimics.
  • Changed the Newborn Pup fight a bit. Has a few new skills but overall should be more balanced with the intended level of characters.
  • When running from a visible enemy, the sprite will move away from player and wait for a second, allowing the player time to get away if they do not wish to fight. Some Custom Movement enemies do not move away, but will simply Wait to give the player time to leave.
  • If you visit the Empire Tree before getting the quest from Davy, you will get different dialogue both inside the dungeon, and when you eventually receive the quest from him.
  • Dialogue with Sefra after saving her in the Cosse Shrine as been changed. She now talks about Decisive Skills and gives the player their first DScroll.
  • All text that encourages players to run away from battles has been removed. The bookshelf about escape mentions that states that escaping too often may result in more difficult times.
  • New minor areas in the Twisted Valley and Witch's Cave: Dragon's Room and Fairy's Den.
  • Using Stand By will not just restore HP, SP, and DP, but boost Defense and Mind by 10% until the next turn.
  • A very small conversation is added to the Fallen Shrine in Twisted Valley.
  • Monsters that were not beaten in the Angel Pathway will now no longer appear during the Strong Blessing quest.
  • Removed the third ??? option in the menu, as it is now defunct.
  • Players can now climb vines in the Igloo Cavern to reach previous floors, in case they need to battle older enemies. The player cannot leave the dungeon, however.
  • Ky, Lexus, and Kris are now lower level during the Cosse Shrine part to better match Rover.
  • Decreased the damage done by Magical Rat in Witch's Cave.
  • Increased the damage for Drake's Level 1 Decisive Skill.
  • Slightly decreased the SP cost of Roxy's Tail Feather Skills.
  • Greatly reduced the amount of damage Evil Manifestation's Shock Call does.
  • Evil Manifestation's map sprite now better represents its battle sprite.
  • Added more decorations in the Purple Pirate Hallway and a few places in Chilriva.
  • When speaking with O'Neal at the Ahoy Cafe before going to the Coastal Cavern, Davy will now buy the party a meal, giving them a food buff for free.

I may have missed some small things, but that about sums up all the changes!

Meowsticks

Just a person
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Thanks! :)
I basically spent the past two days playtesting and changing, so as much as I like playing it, I'm glad to give that a break for a bit. :LZSlol: And by a bit I mean I'll be back at it tomorrow cause I just can't get away from it.

Reinarc

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Awesome list of changes! Keep at it man

Lady_JJ

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Is there a reason why Rover has his decisive skills disabled from the menu in the Tower of the Monument (Telles) before he reveals his elemental powers to Geoffrey? Everybody else is able to use decisive skills, so why not Rover? And, the decisive skill option is completely removed from Rover's menu, not just greyed out as the elemental skills are.
Rover's decisive skills menu option does not return after the skeletal battle.
Edit-I meant to write "did return" not "does not return"

Last edited:

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Well. Looks like I need to redo the entire battle system in order to have the things I want in it. Also I'd like to say that console.log() is the greatest function in Javascript XD.
I have made 60 new skills! ''after test'' I have made 3 new skills!

Made a new battleback this week! How's it look?
"This is the real secret to life - To be completely engaged with what you are doing in the here and now. And instead of calling it work, realize it is play."

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
asdfd