Unveil — Survival Simulator (Now Moddable)

Discussion in 'Games In Development' started by PabloNeirotti, Jan 21, 2014.

1. PabloNeirotti

PabloNeirotti Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    [​IMG]
     ​
     ​
     ​

​
     ​
     ​
     ​
    [​IMG]
     ​
    Summary

Experience Survival in it's purest form. Unveil delivers​
    a rich recreation of Nature with a deep simulation​
    of Weather, Body, Flora & Fauna, Fire and more.​
     ​
     ​
    [​IMG]
     ​
    Energy preservation
     ​
    Every object you pick up, every tool you craft, or even shivering to low temperatures, will consume Energy.​
    Fish, trap or harvest food to ingest and recover Energy. Some nourishments must be cooked to become edible.

You can survive without eating for many days. But you can't survive with no energy left to move forward.

[​IMG]

Hydration
     ​
    Your body spends water to function, but also to sweat for dissipation to cool you off on hot environments.​
    Rehydrate by drinking water off ponds, coconuts, collected rain water, and many more creative ways to find water.

As you dehydrate, your body will fail to cool you off and, if it runs out of water to function, it will shut down.

​
    [​IMG]
     ​
    Body Temperature
     ​
    High temperatures result in higher hydration loss from sweating, while low temperatures can cause sickness.​
    Take baths to cool your body off, or start a campfire to warm up.

Craft coats to protect from rain, or preserve your body temperature.

Failing to cool off leads to a heat stroke, from which you may only wake up if your body cools off before dehydrating.

Extreme cold temperatures cause hypothermia, disabling your body from proper functioning and eventually leading to death.

​
     ​
     ​
    Latest Developer Log Episode
    September 30th 2015
     ​
     ​

​
    Watch all videos at: https://www.youtube.com/UnveilGame

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 3, 2015
    Noodle, RaffyDG, luzi and 18 others like this.
  2. literarygoth

literarygoth Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Definitely interested in this, I've been wanting to do something similar but not quite as tactical and complex as you've got set up here. Really like the screenshots (you seem to be missing some shadows on the cliff edges), decent maps are always a bonus. Looking forward to giving this a play through once you've got a demo uploaded. :)

3. Cozzer

Cozzer Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Italian
    I love the Android-style UI.

4. senpoRiot

senpoRiot Professional Procrastinator Veteran

First Language:
    Tagalog
    very cool interface. i really like the windowskin.

definitely following this!

5. PabloNeirotti

First Language:
    English
    Thank you for the replies guys! :D I'm really excited about this game. I'm on the works of adding the other means of getting food (hunting -check- & fishing). Once it's done, I'll have all the tools required to create playable maps, outside the tutorial area.

Cheers! :D

6. PabloNeirotti

First Language:
    English
    Hey guys! I wanted to share with you some quick updates.

First, the name of the project will change. So stay alert! Main reasons are, I don't feel the name anymore, a game with this name already exists, but most importantly, I've redefined the course of the game. It will focus way more intensively in the survival in nature and the unveiling of new areas. There are so many mechanics to explore in pure nature survival that no other game really tackles (without eventually putting in some civilization technological advancements). And I really want to do that. So, there you go!.

Second, my iMac has been on repair for almost two months. I am not in the US and bringing the spare pieces takes, well, months. Reason why I haven't been recording more videos. On the bright side, I focused on making a lot of progress with my laptop and I am proud to say, most mechanics have been implemented.

This includes the new battle system (yea, it got better!), feat tokens, hunting, fishing, cooking, weather affecting landscape, overall visual effects improvements, and a revamped user interface. Just to name a few, actually! There is more.

Most of the work this month will go towards map design and polishing some aspects to do a close testing with a few friends. I promise to share a beta with you all once I have something better on hands, around mid this year :)

Stay tuned, gameplay videos coming up in a few weeks.

Thanks for following!

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 30, 2014
  7. PabloNeirotti

First Language:
    English
    Hey guys! Finally, updates! [​IMG]

First off, notice Cognition has been rebranded to Unveil.

Please do check the first post of this thread, as it has been edited to reflect all the new features and goals of the game.

On that page, you will find the new video for the new YouTube page called Welcome to Unveil. Which I am attaching below.

Follow this link, and don't forget to subscribe to stay up to date with the project!

Watch: Welcome to Unveil

I will be posting more videos regularly now.

Thank you for your support so far, and wish you all a very good day.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 30, 2014
  8. C-C-C-Cashmere (old)

C-C-C-Cashmere (old) Resident Weirdo Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Wow. This looks fantastic. The UI is slick and there are a lot of design decisions made to make survival more realistic. I hope the final game is just as I envision it. When will a playable demo be released? Or will it be released as a complete game?

9. PabloNeirotti

First Language:
    English
    Thank you for your kind words!

The game will be going under closed user testing in a few weeks. After I get the feedback, and make the necessary changes and adjustments, I will do an online testing by invitation (as I have a process for beta testing I believe it is important to go through). Sometime around July.

Once testing is done, and I feel the game meets both players and my expectations, it will be released. This is Episode 1, which will contain only around 5 hours of gameplay, although can be more if you are a completionist. And that, will be on the third quarter of this year.

Mmore Episodes will be released after Ep 1, every few months, as I already have most of the engine developed (took almost a year to get it done). Then, it's mostly content and some features once in a while. There is a LOT that can be done with existing features.

Hope that responds your question :) stay tuned!

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 30, 2014
    C-C-C-Cashmere (old) likes this.
  10. C-C-C-Cashmere (old)

First Language:
    English
    Fantastic. What does it take to be included in the "online testing by invitation" segment of testers?

11. PabloNeirotti

First Language:
    English
    Oh anyone that is willing to help out with testing. That includes playing the game as much one feel like (no fixed time, that ruins certain tests) and willingness to upload progress and responding some questions about the experience.

If you would like to help out this way, just keep your eyes on the website or this thread. I will announce when I am ready to do an invitation based testing :)

hiromu656 likes this.
  12. PabloNeirotti

First Language:
    English
    Developer log — Day at Unveil

Hello guys!

First I would like to thank all of your support and following so far. It really helps to stay on track.

On this opportunity, I'd like to introduce Day at Unveil. Pure gameplay showcasing some of the Survival and Battle mechanics. It's just a bit of everything you can do in the game, but it's a fine sample by itself.

If you ever wondered how this game is, or how surviving works, this is the video you have been waiting for.

I hope you enjoy! And of course, subscribe to the YouTube channel if you wish to stay up to date.

C-C-C-Cashmere (old) likes this.
  13. crawlmatter

crawlmatter Villager Member

This is beautiful, smooth, and looks very engaging.

The only issue I see is the plain and boring character design. Unless you plan on having his clothes slowly eaten away by the elements and use?

14. PabloNeirotti

First Language:
    English
    Oh hah. Actually there is a character creation at the very beginning. Everyone can set up their own character, including clothing. And there are some castaway styled clothes which can be picked instead :) depending what the user wants to role play.

Thank you for your comment :D

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 5, 2014
  15. C-C-C-Cashmere (old)

First Language:
    English
    That video is very very very cool. I don't think I've seen the engine used in this way. I can't wait for a demo!

16. PabloNeirotti

First Language:
    English
    Thank you! I appreciate it :) . I can't wait to release it either :D

17. PabloNeirotti

First Language:
    English
    Hey guys!

Big call to anyone interested in Unveil or survival games overall.

I am looking to define how content progression will happen in the game. Right now, as you level up, you are able to go to harder areas with new content, as well as level-bound events are triggered for you to complete.

While this sounds good, it's also SUPER time consuming and involves tons of chances for the game to beak, even more testing that is.

So I was considering switching to a more sandbox mode. Levels would still exist and events would still happen, but would be "random" or location based. And then, enhancing the survival properties of the game, like the use of Hydratation (requiring you to find or carry potable water) and so on.

I would love to have a conversation to each on of you. Explain you more about the game, ask you some questions, and hear what you have to say. You don't have to be a game designer at all, just be willing to help :)

If you would like to help out, please PM me your Skype or Google+ and we will get in touch.

Thank you all for your support so far! We are closer to release than ever.

18. PabloNeirotti

First Language:
    English
    Hey guys!

Today I bring a short video demonstrating a couple new features I am tinkering with: Hydratation and Farming.

Potable water can only be found in certain spots, so we need to bear that in mind when we wander off to new areas. We can risk stretching it until we find a new water source, or rush back to the ones we know before we die out of thirst. We can optionally break coconuts to drink their contents, or turn them into water carriers to refill them with water.

Farming is not new, but has been thoroughly enhanced. From the Simulation algorithm to the introduction of Watering and Fertilizing. Watering adds water to the simulation cycle of the plant, while fertilizing multiplies how much it grows when it performs photosynthesis. It means you get fruits faster and more often. Fertilizers can poison plants if used in excess, so make sure keep an eye on that while making sure plants have enough water to cleanse the poisoning.

That is all for now. I hope you enjoy the video!

19. PabloNeirotti

First Language:
    English
    Hey guys! Quick update.

Once you crack open and drink a Coconut to gain some Hydration, you can reuse it by leaving it on the floor, acting as a water container that can be filled up by rain. Nature is all about recycling, and so is Unveil.

Now if you are far from potable water but have some empty coconuts shells on you, rain may save your life!

[​IMG]

20. Fungii

Fungii Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    This already looks super cool! I'm loving the look of the UI as well.