Unwanted battle animation auto smoothing/blurring

Erilex

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
Battle animations in RMMV look fine when applied to medium-sized or big enemies, but when played over smaller enemies, such as slimes, the program blurs them, and it doesn't look very nice [EDIT: This is not what actually happens, see my last post further down the thread]:

blur.png

This would be barely noticeable with most of the default battle animations, but it's really obvious when using animation pieces with clearly defined outlines like the sword above. Is there a way to disable this effect? (assuming it's intentional at all and not a bug). I've tested it with all plugins disabled, so it's not being triggered by any of those.  

Last edited by a moderator:

Waterguy

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Seems like it is just being resized to not seem too big on small enemies...

So you want to remove the resizing?

Erilex

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
Oh, that would make some amount of sense! But yes, I'd like to remove it. The size change is barely perceptible at all, but the image quality loss is glaring, so there's no real advantage provided by this function. 

Erilex

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
Thank you! The plugin certainly gets rid of the blur.

Unfortunately, now the animation looks weirdly distorted:

distort.png

It still looks fine on bigger enemies, so I assume what's causing this is the resizing Waterguy mentioned.

Ossra

Formerly Exhydra
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Erilex Hmm ... well, resizing the animation is possible, but more complicated. I'll take a look to see if I can squeeze that in somewhere.

Erilex

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
Through pure dumb luck, I found a solution! Turns out that the size of the monster's sprite has nothing to do with the blur effect. Well, it does, but not in terms of how big or small the monster is. Rather, the blur effect is applied to sprites when their height or width (or both) is an ODD number of pixels, presumably as a result of the program struggling to center the animation properly.

Sideview Slimes in particular are 102 x 85 pixels, so I added a transparent line of pixels on top to make them a nice even 102 x 86 and VOILA

fixed.png

Phew, that's a lot better.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ossra

Formerly Exhydra
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Huh, that's interesting.  o:   I'm glad you found a solution!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Stream will be live shortly with some more Haunting Ground! Today, we encounter a new stalker! Feel free to drop by!
Tried the new Samsung Galaxy S20 Plus today. Very nice device overall, but flagship smartphone prices are getting completely out of control.
Sometimes I feel like I don't belong here. I feel like I have the exact opposite interests in storytelling as everyone else.
You know what really grinds my gears? Websites that block your access completely if you have an AdBlocker on...

I would rather skip the site than endure some popups that may give me a gnarly virus!
Guys this thread is so good and you should be reading it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Louxie