RMMZ Unwonted Hero (Demo updated! - Ver 5)

Nowis-337

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ

Title_Main.jpg
An Unusual Hero's Journey

heroes.png
You are an aspiring adventurer in a JRPG world, dreaming to become just like the heroes of legend who rose up and faced the Demon King in the past.

MainCharacter.gifFairy.gif
Your chance finally arrived when a fairy chose you to become the next hero. Things should be straight forward right? Fight monsters, earn gold, level up and grow stronger. The usual.

Unfortunately, there’s just one ‘minor’ setback...

FallenMain.pngSlime.gif
You're not exactly useful in battle... at all...

Explore and venture through this JRPG world and discover alternative ways to complete your typical JRPG quests in this adventure game.

Will you be able to fulfill your destiny to face the Demon King and save the kingdom? And at what cost?

characters.png

Features
  • An adventure game set in a JRPG-themed world.
  • 8-bit style custom pixel art.
  • Explore multiple pathways to achieve your goals.
  • Take care in choosing your actions. They may have consequences...
  • Discover and complete achievements, with a small bonus for the completionists.

Gameplay
This is an adventure game where you explore and collect clues to find ways to complete your objectives.

There can be more than one way to solve your problems depending on what items and tools you have in hand.

Be careful of the choices you make, they may have consequences! Your decisions may restrict or open up new opportunities later on in your journey!

So go out there and explore and put your thinking caps on! Since unfortunately for you, traditional RPG combat is not really an option... Or is it?

Characters
f2.png
You
An aspiring adventurer with terrible stats. Although completely useless in battle, your determination to become a hero is unrivaled!

f1.png
Fairy
A loud, bossy and obnoxious fairy that has chosen you to be the next hero. It’s really scraping the bottom of the barrel here.

Screenshots
screenshot1.jpg screenshot6.jpg
screenshot3.jpg screenshot4.jpg

Final Note
This is my little long term project of some weird idea of an adventure game. Been working on this for on and off since end of 2019 (when not distracted by making game jam games).

Planned Demo will consist of Act 1. The complete game is planned to be in 3 Acts in total.

Demo Download Link

Last edited:

Nowis-337

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Updated with a link to the demo. Demo consists of basically part 1 out of 3 of the planned full game.

rrrllll

Kangaroo
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
i will check it out in a few days!!!!

Nowis-337

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Gathered some valuable feedback (special thanks to the RPG Beta Tester discord server) and made some updates! (to demo ver 5)

I've streamlined some of the quests and scattered a few more breadcrumbs to give clues for the more obscure objectives. The pocket watch day/night time system has been modified as a QoL upgrade. Thrown in some very minor plot feature to lead to what I've planned for Act 2.

In addition, a new hint system has also been implemented for some extra help if needed - for those who want to find those extra objectives.

Finally, there are the usual minor bug fixes and typo fixes.

Have fun!

Edit: Now version 5.1 with some last minute bug fixes.

Last edited:

FleshToDust

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV

I played your game the font font is so good! I enjoyed the rest of the game too but the font! Oh boy.

SpyreStudio

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Gathered some valuable feedback (special thanks to the RPG Beta Tester discord server) and made some updates! (to demo ver 5)
Do you mind sending an invite to the server? That seems like a cool server.

rrrllll

Kangaroo
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Little bit random but i came across this comment xdxd

Here is the link for beta tester discord group, where nowis and a bunch of good people are at. Feel free to join if you like it.

Nowis-337

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ

I played your game the font font is so good! I enjoyed the rest of the game too but the font! Oh boy.
Thanks for checking it out!

Little bit random but i came across this comment xdxd

Here is the link for beta tester discord group, where nowis and a bunch of good people are at. Feel free to join if you like it.
Yup, this is @AkraticHuman's server with the goal of providing feedback and looking at action sequences with the Yanfly plugins (MV) and VisuStella plugins (MZ).

Guld

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Fantastic retro pixel art style, and some amazing battle cutscenes there. Keep up the good work!

AkraticHuman

Human
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Thanks for the mention and so glad we could help you in some way Nowis!

Kalombi

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Looks cool from the walkthrough video I'm watching. Nice job in the development. I like how you're commited to the full pixel art throughout.

Could I join the RPG play test discord server? Thanks!

rrrllll

Kangaroo
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Looks cool from the walkthrough video I'm watching. Nice job in the development. I like how you're commited to the full pixel art throughout.

Could I join the RPG play test discord server? Thanks!
basically everyone is welcome to join through the link above.
Just a server where you can submit your game to test, and no one cares if you lurk and re-appear later, just pay respect then its totally fine. (well... if you re-appear at least say hi)
I think link is still there not expired.

Bakuda

The Music Man
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
You're the hero but very unheroic...I love it!

AkraticHuman

Human
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
There's a lot of cool stuff in this game I'm still trying to discover. Multiple paths to solving problems gives it some replay value, as do the achievements that hint at more secrets. Obviously a ton of thought put into the complex problem solving (must have been super tough to plan out and keep organized).

Looking forward to the next part!

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

I have an idea, I am making low polygon 3D resources for a package in itch. but it occurred to me that I could export these as images and make MV / MZ compatible tilesets. What do you think of this?
I hate seeing threads where less-experienced user's ask for an opinion of their project, and the thread is full of negative feedback by others who are clearly not the target audience. I feel bad for the OP, and I hope they understand that no game can appeal to everyone. :frown:
Hm, just found out I can't use loops, yay.
-Ele
I just wanna Covid to be over and I have my normal life back... Feeling so bad these days, what can I do?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1a23z11