*Updated* Android/iOS - Converting your project with Intel XDK / Uploading to Google Play Store

Faytless

recently unemployed Kung Fu Master
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Thanks,  I honestly uploaded that example as a way to show that it does work, even in lower resolutions.  I'm in the process of updating this

therpgfanatic

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Using my brand new Samsung Galaxy S6 the game cuts off the top section of the battle screen, you can't even see the top two characters in the formation. It ran fast though.

Game completely crashed when I received this error when trying to use a Fire spell.

error: Failed to load img/animations/Fire1.png

Also I think the aspect ratio is off, in the menus it seemed like different menus were squished together quite horribly. 

Last edited by a moderator:

Faytless

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Using my brand new Samsung Galaxy S6 the game cuts off the top section of the battle screen, you can't even see the top two characters in the formation. It ran fast though.

Game completely crashed when I received this error when trying to use a Fire spell.

error: Failed to load img/animations/Fire1.png

Also I think the aspect ratio is off, in the menus it seemed like different menus were squished together quite horribly. 
This was the result of the resolution change. 

I did not want to change anything about the game to have users check if the game runs better for them on a much lower res than normal.  The good news is that in a few hours an updated version with ways you can test FPS.  In regards to the aspect ratio,  you can't do anything about that at this moment.  Unfortunately, the aspect ratio will always be an issue, until I can get Scale-Fill to work with XDK/Python Compiling.  It really depends if your phone can display that resolution properly.

On my galaxy s6 edge +,  its fine-- no black bars  but my note 3 its letter box.

blazex4

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
May I ask which method is better in both being easy to use and best optimized for mobile, Intel XDK or manual?

Faytless

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
XDK is easy,  however at this time you don't have an option use any other parameters to build your project.

The Manual Method might be a little more complex at first,  but once you get the hang of things  -- its pretty much cake like everything else.  It gives you a little more options to adding params to builds and such.

To really answer your question,  I think you should verse  your self in both.  Don't limit yourself to one side.  Use XDK to quickly compile and recompile your projects -- then when you're ready to experiment with some build options,  go for the manual method.  Keep in mind that I am actively coding programs to help with this process so it might get a lot easier in the future.

The sad part is that I've spent more time doing videos,  writing programs, teaching others about using MV than actually using MV myself ;/

No matter what you decide to do,  please let me know if you have questions -- My doors always open to you guys :D

ashes999

Uber Coder
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
This is epic.

For those of us who create lots of projects (including experimental and failed ones), it's really important to try and get this as close to "one-click" as possible. I would be happy to help write some software that will setup/coordinate (eg. find/store Ant path somewhere) facilitating that.

I'll try this out when I get some more time, and post my thoughts here. BTW, any code/tools you write for this should (ideally) go into GitHub so others can contribute.

Kane Hart

Elmlor.com
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
I'm so lost with people :p it's one click via a bat file if you spend a couple min hehe.

ashes999

Uber Coder
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
It's not actually one-click. Setting up XDX takes a while (mainly the download size). There are lots of performance/resolution tweaks, and other things, that everyone will want. That, too, should be centralized somehow -- like using WebGL by default.

Kane Hart

Elmlor.com
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
It's not actually one-click. Setting up XDX takes a while (mainly the download size). There are lots of performance/resolution tweaks, and other things, that everyone will want. That, too, should be centralized somehow -- like using WebGL by default.
XDX is broken and even stated by intel. You pretty much need to disable the blacklist for more then half the devices on the market. People should be be doing this manually and manually is actually easier in the end and faster. 

Faytless

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Okay a few things.

XDK isn't "broken" persay,  keep in mind we're throwing XDK a curve ball,  telling it to export a HTML5 Application that was available to consumers just a few days ago.  XDK is still a young IDE, however it pacts all the tools we need to create an application.  You can create a game in XDK,  but there will be a considerable amount of work for you.  So we're technically using XDK in a way that wasn't intended.

Also,  users should find which method works best for them.  Weather it be some guide they found on some forum or a knowledge base entry they found in RM:MV.  Although I do agree, in the end you may want to manually compile your APK -- but I can't expect users to do some of the things the Knowledge base is asking (as well written as it may be).  Sure, we just download a bunch of things,  register the correct environments and test them -- seems simple enough, and to me it was. However, Its only simple to people whom are already inept and to people whom can follow instruction or have a great community that stands behind them.

The amount of support requests/private messages I get on Steam/YouTube/ Forums like this and others is staggering. I am finding myself doing more support with RM MV than actually USING the program.  I'm not complaining though,  I'm glad that people of all ages are showing interest in video game making.

about gpu black listing.

gpu black listing is a good and a bad thing.  And anyone whom does any kind of android development should be aware of this. ( not so much iOS, ill explain)

You might have a device that has rockin specifications,  but if there are stability issues with your GPU running an application, they will flag your device.  This is mainly due to how many different types of android devices you have to account for.  Developers have the option to even blacklist the device as a whole so it won't even recognize or install.  The current size (at least for the google play store) of the possible black listing options is around 8800+.  This means that there are at minimum 8800 devices (not counting knock offs and unauthorized devices).  The GPU black list is there because most development teams can't account for every single device that is out there.  Some devices will run better than others while others will be slowed to a crawl.  iOS does not have this issue because of the small number of devices that run appls compared to others.  They DO have a black list, but its the same as googles (device black list,  Example:  Look up youtube on your first generation iTouch).

So if you are getting 3-5 fps,  your device is probably on that black list, and you won't be using any form of WebGL at all.  Ignoring the black list does increase performance -- but the performance will NEVER be consistent UNLESS you are running a WebGL application that does not exceed a VERY VERY small % of cpu/ram processing. 

Also to the newer guys wanting to try this -- this will not increase performance if your gpu is not on that black list to begin with.

Should you use ignore black list?  For yourself and for testing -- yes.  But when deploying to a market? Probably not.  

( imagine if you were playing a game that had 20-60 FPS, what are the chances of you uninstalling this app?)

So in-short, as I tell anyone that has ever asked me anything -- Do what you think is best for you.  If Intel XDK is easy for you to use and setup.  Use it.  But keep an open mind to other options.  Don't let us stop you from making that million dollar idea. If you need support,  or have questions about anything -- please don't hesitate to ask.

jonas1999

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Swedish
"How big is your project file? Please desert your support question in SDK to my thread in the tutorial section.. this way I'm not spamming this thread :)"

It is around 400-500mb.

How do i make the obb thing?

Faytless

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
You shouldnt even be worrying about expansion files,  till you can get your project to compile to begin with.  Try reducing the size of your project by removing items you don't need ( like images and music)  then try again.  If this still does not work,  please upload your www folder somewhere So i can try to compile it as well.  If all else fails,  please check out my other thread on converting manually.

Thanks!

Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
The project ends up being 97 MB after removing everything I don't need. When I build it, the project is 120 MB. Is there any way to use the OBB or compress it?

Faytless

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
The project ends up being 97 MB after removing everything I don't need. When I build it, the project is 120 MB. Is there any way to use the OBB or compress it?
You can't compress it in further,  compiling to APK is honestly like just archiving your files into a zip.. Its technically already compressed.  I'm working on a guide to get your apk expanded, so please stand by for it.  It's not my highest priority at this moment but as soon as i finish a few other side projects ill be working on that one/

Ultima2876

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
I'm working on improving my tool MVStripper to help with this. The current release version doesn't do much to animations because by default they are all referenced in the database (whether you use them or not) meaning almost every project will be at least 90mb (probably more).

You can see the thread for that tool here if you don't know what I'm talking about (it automatically removes all unreferenced assets from your game project, saving you time): http://forums.rpgmakerweb.com/index.php?/topic/47985-mvstripper-remove-unused-assets-from-your-mv-project/

Gabuga

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
You can't compress it in further,  compiling to APK is honestly like just archiving your files into a zip.. Its technically already compressed.  I'm working on a guide to get your apk expanded, so please stand by for it.  It's not my highest priority at this moment but as soon as i finish a few other side projects ill be working on that one/
If you do this tutorial I will be eternally grateful.

I have a project and has removed all that is possible to cut and has reduced all that is possible to reduce, after compiling it with the  intel XDK he still gets 130MB :(

ps .: sorry for my bad english

dancinhero

Cheese man
Reaction score
First Language
English-arabic
I exported on android and Im facing a Problem as i told u Faytless xD, i cannot get out of the load Game Screen without loading a saved game, meaning if i click on load and i want to go back to the title without loading a saved game, its impossible, i tried double tabs, hold tab, xD 3 tabs, and if i press Back on my android it closes the game lol.

Faytless

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Yes,  I haven't gotten around to testing this yet --  If it becomes an issue we will have to report it for sure.  I might know of a work around but I don't want to say too much untill I've tested it.

Please Standby :)

schatze

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Bahasa
Primarily Uses
hello, i've been using XDK since i seen your tutorial.

But i got some problem, every time i try to play it on my phone i always get error coz i need m4a type of sound instead mp3

do i really need to convert the music to m4a?because before this project i got it run on my phone with mp3.

Please help...

thx... :)

topar395

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
MV uses Ogg and m4a. M4a is for mobile devices, ogg is used on pcs. Gonna have to convert those mp3s =(

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Ami
4 days im not using my laptop to waiting someone to reinstall (sigh)
Stream will be live shortly with some Donkey Kong 64! Feel free to drop by!
Working on a test Boss for the new No Travel Game Jam
- Name Plugin by Moghunter -
Free RPG Maker Ready Charging Up Animation

Enjoy -No Credit Needed But Appreciated -
Download it at https://lvgames.itch.io/free-charging-up-pixel-animation-fx-rpg-maker-ready
:/ .... so, thought I’d go to the park to sit in the cool breeze and get out of the house a little. Nope, guess that’s quarantined too. Ok...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dald