Bionic687

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMMV
hey guys..

I'm planning on making a game which in the future I'd like to release updates for to add additional content, levels ect ect..

My question is..

When I release these updates to the game.. will players be able to retain their game saves from previous versions of the game? or will players lose their existing game save data when they update and have to start over?

just wondering how this works before I get too deep into this..

thanks!

bgillisp

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA

I've moved this thread to MV Support. Please be sure to post your threads in the correct forum next time. Thank you.

The answer is it depends. You can add new maps, and add new database entries without issue. But you cannot add new plug-ins without issue, as those will break the game due to the program looking for variables that don't exist in your save game (its the source of the dreaded Undefined is not a function error that many users get).

Also you cannot change maps or database entries, just add new ones (though adding a new door to an old map should be ok). The issue is anyone who saves on a map you change will load their game and be at that coordinate they saved at...but on the new version of the map. So you have to make sure that all tiles they could save their game on (all passibile tiles) are not changed at all. Likewise if you change a database entry, since all items are saved by database id what used to be Excalibur for your players might now be Stinky Old Sock if you changed Excalibur in your database to be the Stinky Old Sock now.

Nightblade50

Developer of "Delta Origins"
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English, French
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Likewise if you change a database entry, since all items are saved by database id what used to be Excalibur for your players might now be Stinky Old Sock if you changed Excalibur in your database to be the Stinky Old Sock now.
That made me laugh :guffaw:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Say, does anyone know any other indie game development forums? Progress on my uni survey has been a little slow, so I wanna look into posting it around a bit more.
Due to the bullies' resurgence on Facebook and Twitter against my friend (and I since I defend), we've decided to move over to tumblr to try to obscure our presence, where we might finally be at peace working on games. If anyone wants my/our game's tumblrs to follow lmk. :kaojoy:
Is there anyone need help with anything except art and music?
is Gotcha Gotcha Games Inc. = KADOKAWA CORPORATION? I haven't found this topic yet, Want to know for credits on my game. Thanks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
uniteditcare