Updating HTML without losing save.

White Flare

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I'm having a friend test out my game on a makeshift website I'm hosting from my computer. Every time I re-deploy the game it wipes out his save file and he is getting sick of the intro. Is there a way to re-deploy without losing save data?

Engr. Adiktuzmiko

Chemical Engineer, Game Developer, Using BlinkBoy'
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Tagalog
Primarily Uses
I think you should be making the save on his computer, or make a backup of it before you redeploy then copy that backup into the deployment folder maybe.

Lynx Cat

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
RMMV
AFAIK saves are lost whenever you add or change a plugin. If you just change minor stuff on the maps (e.g. events), then the save still works - that I know from experience. Not sure about major changes, adding/deleting maps, changing assets, and whatnot.

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I suggest a different approach, because of the problems mentioned above - sometimes having an old save will cause problems.

Instead, start the game with a question for the intro weather to skip it or not (should do that anyway for player comfortability), and (during playtest only) add a new "playtest item" to the player.
Using that playtest item should call a playtest common event, and in that event use show choices for several overrides like transferring a player to a later map, gaining levels so that the new actors get the levels needed on later maps and so on.

White Flare

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I suggest a different approach, because of the problems mentioned above - sometimes having an old save will cause problems.

Instead, start the game with a question for the intro weather to skip it or not (should do that anyway for player comfortability), and (during playtest only) add a new "playtest item" to the player.
Using that playtest item should call a playtest common event, and in that event use show choices for several overrides like transferring a player to a later map, gaining levels so that the new actors get the levels needed on later maps and so on.
I actually already have this. The naming your character "debug" (earlier question i asked on the forums) lets the player access a special dev forest with NPC's to set level, stats, money, and the like.

I think you should be making the save on his computer, or make a backup of it before you redeploy then copy that backup into the deployment folder maybe.
I hit a weird situation where he has to clear his browser cache or it tries to just load the old version when visiting the page... Maybe I need to study some HTML as i may need to do more then just - Deploy for web, drop in apache as website.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

You know what really grinds my gears? Websites that block your access completely if you have an AdBlocker on...

I would rather skip the site than endure some popups that may give me a gnarly virus!
Guys this thread is so good and you should be reading it.
Once again have another case of an Android user losing all of their save files for all of my games after a single game update. Apparently even Yanfly's Save Core can't prevent it. Very frustrating.
Question! If anyone here has any of the Time Fantasy tiles, or the Omega Modern one, do they include character templates/bases/whatever the term is?
Had to edit the water tiles of Jason Perry's (final boss blues) beach tile set. I'm an animator now. :guffaw:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Exilion616